Skip to main content

@Fan2024 posted:

Parent mentioned that he caught for HS varsity this year. I would think that 2023s are 16u, at least by graduation year.

Well, while other parents are holding their kids back, we put him a year ahead back in 3rd grade when we transitioned from home school to full time school bec he can handle it academically and is mature enough.  We were not even thinking of sports back then.  We just always believe that having 1 year head start in life is a good thing.  He turns 16 this coming Oct.  He's still going to be 17 yr old when he starts college.

Last edited by atlnon
@atlnon posted:

Main position is catcher.  Travel coach puts him on centerfield when he's not catching, and sometimes second base.  He caught all games in varsity.

I know a handful of 5’8” catchers who would be D1 all the way if they were 6’+. The 2022’s are just now starting to get attention from non-D1 programs. 2023 kids under 6’ aren’t getting attention right now unless they throw 90+.

I know a handful of 5’8” catchers who would be D1 all the way if they were 6’+. The 2022’s are just now starting to get attention from non-D1 programs. 2023 kids under 6’ aren’t getting attention right now unless they throw 90+.

But I keep telling him that he won't be where he is right now if he didn't have to always work harder growing up bec of his size.  He gets so mad every time he sees a 6'+ kid throwing just 80.

@atlnon posted:

But I keep telling him that he won't be where he is right now if he didn't have to always work harder growing up bec of his size.  He gets so mad every time he sees a 6'+ kid throwing just 80.

I used to tell my son all the time, just wait until you start growing. Well, he did and sure enough the velo and power had huge jumps. He's still a lightweight at 155. He's working out hard and eating as much as he can. When coaches see his arm strength they always have that surprised look on their face. Same thing when hitting.

Keep pushing and working hard. If it were meant to be then he'll get there.

I used to tell my son all the time, just wait until you start growing. Well, he did and sure enough the velo and power had huge jumps. He's still a lightweight at 155. He's working out hard and eating as much as he can. When coaches see his arm strength they always have that surprised look on their face. Same thing when hitting.

Keep pushing and working hard. If it were meant to be then he'll get there.

And if it's not meant to be, the work ethic and character he developed while pushing and working hard will get him further in life than natural talent and size.  I keep telling him this but he just keeps rolling his eyes (bec all he wants right now is to get to the next stage in baseball, and eventually the pros).

@atlnon posted:

Well, while other parents are holding their kids back, we put him a year ahead back in 3rd grade when we transitioned from home school to full time school bec he can handle it academically and is mature enough.  We were not even thinking of sports back then.  We just always believe that having 1 year head start in life is a good thing.  He turns 16 this coming Oct.  He's still going to be 17 yr old when he starts college.

Don’t even think about his birth date. Subconsciously it can become an excuse.  My kids have summer birthdays. They were physical late bloomers. Our approach was, “this is your graduating class, this is what you want to accomplish.” Anything else becomes a distraction.

@atlnon posted:

This is a distraction. It’s something he can’t control. Focus on the controllable. Strength is controllable. Velocity is controllable to a degree.

@RJM posted:

Don’t even think about his birth date. Subconsciously it can become an excuse.  My kids have summer birthdays. They were physical late bloomers. Our approach was, “this is your graduating class, this is what you want to accomplish.” Anything else becomes a distraction.

I agree with RJM here.  I used to always say my son was young for his grade but if you think about it, it doesn't matter. His age is what it is and his grade is what it is.... he will be 18 years old entering his sophomore year of college in 3 weeks.  He will turn 19 in mid-September.   At least half the incoming Freshman will be older than him however his focus is to be a better player than last year and work his way into the rotation.  He can only control what he can control and I will say I am incredibly proud of the work he has put in this summer. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.