Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

summer collegiate leagues fill most of their rosters by late fall. college coaches have a chance to evaluate the new players & place them where they will be challenged/sucessfull.
some programs feel strongly about their guys playing summers and either place them, or assist them in getting on a team, curiously others may not(?)
Hivefive,

I would suggest that your son ask his coach if he has any thoughts on his summer placement.

Never assume that the coach will automatically handle it.

If he does not make any calls do not hesitate to send out e-mails to some of the managers/owners of the various teams asking if there is any room on the team.

You will be amazed how many spots are filled at the last moment.

Be pro-active not re-active.
Someone sent me a note that advised that there is another 8-team collegiate league that will be starting play in the summer of 2004. Looks like some quality schools will be sending top players.

Here it is....

03:01 AM CDT on Thursday, September 25, 2003

By KEVIN LONNQUIST / The Dallas Morning News

ARLINGTON – For the new Texas Collegiate League to succeed, commissioner Wayne Poage said, he needed support from the state's top college baseball programs.

The summer, wood-bat league received player commitments from defending national champion Rice, as well as from Texas, Baylor and Texas A&M, it was announced at a news conference Wednesday. National finalist Stanford and other powers such as LSU, Florida State, Mississippi State and Cal State-Fullerton also have promised players.

Play will begin June 8, 2004, Poage said.

"When Rice and Texas A&M and Texas committed players, other programs like Cal State-Fullerton wanted to know what kind of players they were sending," Poage said. "When they heard that, they were willing to do it."

Players who have completed their freshman year and have college eligibility can play in the league.

The eight-team, 54-game schedule runs through Aug. 8, followed by a week of playoff and championship series. Graham, Mineral Wells, Granbury and Weatherford will make up the West Division. Coppell, Highland Park, McKinney and Waxahachie are in the East.

Players will stay with host families. The teams will play at several of the area's top high school facilities. Poage, a former athletic director at Dallas Baptist, said five of the eight coaches have been selected and a draft will be held in October to distribute the players.

Financially supported by Fort Worth investor Gerald Haddock, the league is modeled after the Cape Cod League in Massachusetts. For players at Texas schools, the new league offers a chance to stay closer to home.

Poage, who also will serve as the league's president, said he wanted to keep most of the teams close to but not in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. The exceptions are Highland Park and Coppell.

The league does not plan to compete against the Rangers, the Frisco RoughRiders or the Fort Worth Cats for followers. But Poage said he believes these communities will rally around their teams. Ticket prices will range from $2 to $6.

ON BOARD
The college baseball programs that will commit players to the new Texas Collegiate League (the wood-bat league is scheduled to begin play on June 8, 2004):
Arkansas LSU Texas
Baylor Miami (Ohio) Texas A&M
California Michigan Texas Tech
Cal-State Fullerton Missouri South Florida
Dallas Baptist Mississippi State Stanford
Florida State Oklahoma State Stetson
Georgia Pacific TCU
Kansas Pepperdine UT-Arlington
Rice

PLAY BALL
The Texas Collegiate League, a wood-bat league for college baseball players, is scheduled to begin play June 8. The league's division breakdown:
West Division East Division
Graham Coppell
Granbury Highland Park
Mineral Wells McKinney
Weatherford Waxahachie

E-mail klonnquist@dallasnews.com
Last edited {1}
my son has just committed to Baylor and we had already been discussing summer ball. Coach Thompson from Baylor also brought it up on his visit and has suugested the Kanasa league, Wisconsin and possibly the Texas league although he noted they were brand new. Any input on these leagues? And is it already late, will he get a good placement, family, job??? Any and all input will be appreciated as usual!

Tx2
Ok, my son is going to be playing for the Hays Larks in the Jayhawk league, anybody have any info, advice? Visited their web site, and they won the league championship the last 3 years, Lance Berman and Albert Pujols played for them in the past, but anybody with real experience? I.e. whats it like to live andd play there, travel, how(bus?), practice, jobs, housing situation? Again any and all input appreciated!

Tx2
trojanx2 ...

After reading and re-reading your post, I keep wanting to ask the question: Was the Baylor coach speaking in terms of somewhere for your son to play between his senior high school season and his starting college at Baylor OR where he might be placed after his college freshman season?

The reason I ask this is because some of the summer college leagues ... specifically the ones "sanctioned" or "certified" by the NCAA ... require that the player has to have NCAA eligibility. Since, as I understand it, eligibility is not a consideration until AFTER the player has started college, he would not be able to play in one of those 8 or 9 sanctioned leagues (e.g., the Cape Cod League, the Northwoods League, etc.) before his first college season. Other leagues, which are not "sactioned" or "certified" by the NCAA ... such as the Alaskan League ... do not have that restriction and some allow non-college players to participate. [I know firsthand that the Alaskan league had a So Cal player from Rancho Bernardo (in San Diego County) two summers before he started college.]

So, if the coach is speaking of your son's summer AFTER his 2005 freshman year, he (the coach) probably already has a good idea of where he would like to see your son play and will make the necessary arrangements/contacts late summer/early fall of 2004. If, however, he is talking about the summer of 2004, he may likely start working on that now to get something going.

My advice: If the coach is talking with your son about it now, before he has even signed his NLI, relax. He obviously has things well in control and will take care of your son when the time is right.

Congrats to your son on his commitment. Enjoy the ride.

Just wanted to mention, as an afterthought, that you needn't worry about the leagues that are not "sanctioned" by the NCAA. There is no impact on college eligibility, etc., if a player participates in a "non-sanctioned" league. The "sanctioning" just identifies some qualifications regarding player eligibility, coaching, number of players from any school on a team, etc. that the leagues agree to abide by in their operations.

H-mom
We learn a lot from crayons:
some are sharp; some are dull; some are pretty;
some have weird names; all are different colors.
And they all have to learn to live in the same box.
Last edited {1}
H-mom,

thanks for the reply. Son has his assignment for this summer. Hays Larks of the Kansas Jayhawk league. I think you missed that my son was actually an unsigned senior ('03), and has now committed to Baylor without having played his freshman year. So he will play his first and only juco season this spring and go to Baylor in the fall.

So now I would like info on the Jayhawk league and specifically the Hays Larks. I did find their website and learn that they have won the league championship the last 3 years, and Lance Berkman and Albert Pujols amongst others have played there.

So any one out there have a son who played for Hays or the Jayhawk league? Any and all info appreciated!

Tx2
Last edited {1}
trojanx2 ...

quote:
... I think you missed that my son was actually an unsigned senior ('03), and has now committed to Baylor without having played his freshman year. So he will play his first and only juco season this spring and go to Baylor in the fall.

Yup, I sure did miss that information. And altho I now see that you mentioned the Jay Hawks league, I must have been asleep at the wheel. Sorry ...

H-mom
We learn a lot from crayons:
some are sharp; some are dull; some are pretty;
some have weird names; all are different colors.
And they all have to learn to live in the same box.

Last edited {1}
Cool
Out of these summer leagues, please give opinion on which ones you feel are the top five to play for and why...

Alaska Baseball League
Atlantic Collegiate League
California Coastal Collegiate League
Cape Cod League
Clark Griffith Collegiate League
Central Illinois Collegiate League
Coastal Plain League
Great Lakes Summer Collegiate League
New England Collegiate Baseball League
New York Collegiate Baseball League
Northwoods League
Pacific International League
Shenandoah Valley League
BIGSTIK ...

Our son played for the Kenai Peninsula Oilers in '02, then went to the Cape last summer and played for the Hyannis Mets. He is a junior this season, and altho we are hoping that he is playing summer ball professionally in '04, he has made a back-up plan to play in Alaska again. Altho both teams invited him back, he absolutely LOVED Alaska and wanted to go one more time if given the opportunity.

The competition is excellent ... many top players from top schools around the country. The league is a little different than the Cape (and other "NCAA sanctioned leagues") insofar as they do allow non-college players to participate (a few high schoolers and some former pro players). The league uses composite bats (not entirely wood) and so it is less a pitcher's league than the Cape is. Since our son was on the Peninsula, he had some exciting opportunities and a wonderful host family while he was there. The travel could be extensive for the Kenai players ... Fairbanks was a 14+ hour bus ride ... but isn't quite so difficult for the Anchorage teams because they are a little more "midway". From everybody that I have spoken with who had a son play in Alaska, the concensus seems to be that it is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for most players ... and our son may get to try it twice.

Good luck to your son.

Go HIGHLANDERS !!!

Last edited {1}
Our son played at Hays his freshman year and loved it. Soph year he was at the Cape and loved the games. Big difference is competition, pitching much better at Cape. One thing I wish they would change at the Cape is housing. At Hays the host parents fed u, cleaned clothes, everything and took u to games if needed. At the Cape u pay 50 bucks a week and no food from house parents, u are on your own. They tell u this up front in your letter, but it makes it tough. Just thought this needed to be brought up. Great baseball at both leagues.
OK, Trojan, my son played for Hays Larks about 3 weeks last summer. It was after his Freshman year. He ended up with injury and had Tommy John's surgery. He really liked his family and the town really seemed to support the team. The family did feed him and helped with his laundry. They really did not offer him a chance to work, like we had heard they would. One thing that kind of concerned me was that the coach there never even checked with us after his surgery to see how he was doing or anything. I was curious if these teams had insurance to help cover expenses not covered by our insurance but never heard from him.
shortstop ...

quote:
At the Cape u pay 50 bucks a week and no food from house parents, u are on your own.

Think you should qualify your statement ... it depends on the (1) team and (2) the host family. Our son paid $55 a week "rent" but his family took care of all his food. They offered to take care of his laundry, etc., but he elected to do his own. They loaned him a car ... of course, he coordinated the usage with their needs. And his final few weeks ... he lived "rent free" as their gift to him.

Other players, even on the same team, were not as fortunate and had to pay extra $$ to their host family if they wanted to "share" family food.

It all depends, I guess, but our son was fortunate, as were many of his teammates, to have host families who truly "hosted" them while they were there.

Go HIGHLANDERS !!!

Last edited {1}
I am curious as to how the summer housing situation works with players in the Northwoods League if anyone has any experience with that league. My son will be playing with the LaCrosse Loggers in Wisconsin...it is the second season for this team and I know they use host families but I don't know much more than that as yet...just trying to get an idea. I know his team will play 64 games in 69 days. I have heard the players are set up with summer jobs as well but I wonder how much time they will have to work as well as practice given
this number of games.

If anyone has firsthand experience with the Northwoods League, please respond.

Ann
Mary Ann,

Yes, that will be great! Thanks for offering...I emailed the Loggers admin. and they said they would be sending info soon...I am just one of those types who likes to get info as soon as possible when entering into a new venture such as this one. I also hope to get to talk to the coach when UCR comes to Norman.

Ann
Ann ...

I have sent an e-mail to one of our coaches to pass on to Coach Valencia. If I don't hear from him this week, I will definitely be seeing him on Friday when AJ throws in a scrimmage. Either way, I will let you know. Also, as a note of interest, I don't know who the Loggers' pitching coach is but I promise you that your son will LOVE Coach Valencia. He is young but very knowledgeable. And if it works the same way it did last summer, his wife and young sons will tag along and they are great also.

Go HIGHLANDERS !!!

Last edited {1}
Thanks for the input guys..and gals. The coach talked to him on the phone and of course mailed the contract along with other info, town, etc. I believe there will also be 1 or 2 more boys from Baylor on the team also. Any other input on things to expect be prepared for, including down time non-baseball things if there is much of that? Thanks again for everyones input and remember to post web sites once they start to play this summer!

Tx2
Last edited {1}

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.