Skip to main content

I have a question for the folks here.  I recently joined and some might recall I have a current freshman (2023);  5ft 7; 126lb MIF/OF who has been playing for one of the 10-15 biggest (by size) travel clubs in US.  He was not on their top team but the 2nd or 3rd team.  His measurables are now exit velo 80; throw velo 78; 7.2  60; excellent fielder, accurate.  Historically he has been top 2-3 hitters on team but he struggled this fall which may be from playing another HS sport and just showing up for games.  He will probably only grow another 2-3 inches.   A guy there flat out told me that it would be very hard for him to see my kid playing at a P5 school.  His goal anyhow is to play at a smaller HA D1 or D3 college.   Oh, really smart kid.  

So now we are into the 2020 Summer ball decision making.  This club would like him to come back which I recognize is, in large part, because that's how they make money.   It is a fair bit of pocket change; with travel costs, I've been hearing $5000+.  They sell that they have preferred access to the very biggest name tournaments/showcases.  And they really do place their players on college teams at a high percentage; so they likely are well connected.   

His other option is to just play for his high school team during that rising sophomore season.  My view is that he likely will not have any single thing to showcase in that summer.  He won't have measurables and physical presence that will make him standout.   So why not save the money compared to the travel club and keep working on his game, size, speed, etc.  While playing In-state, the high school team would likely play these same travel clubs teams during the summer!  So in effect, you are paying a premium for the coaching and 3-4 out of state tournaments. 

I do believe he could go back to the travel club the following 2021 and 2022 summers.  That they wouldn't hold it against him if he took a year off.  But... I'm not 100% sure.  

Do you believe it is a reasonable strategy to do this?  Would you do this? Or do you think there is enough value in the exposure to the out of state showcases/tournaments and "protecting the bridge" to justify the cost?  

What I'm gathering from this board is that the club team advocacy for a player  is quite important for recruiting.  But is it as important for a kid who likely will not project out as a D1 recruit?  Or maybe it is more important? 

My current thoughts were high school summer ball 2020, then getting PBR measurables at the end of sophomore year and again in Junior year.  Play for the club team in the summers of 2021 and 2022 years.  Go to Head First and Showball camps same years.   Find appropriate fit school.  Then kid has a happy and successful college life.  

I appreciate any thoughts on the above.  If I've written anything stupid or unrealistic above, I would appreciate it if the feedback was delivered positively.   Thanks in advance. 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Spending 5K on a travel team with those measurables is not a good investment IMO. Play for a team where you can still get into the gym, train, recover, etc. One mistake I made with my 2020 entering HS was letting him play in too many out of state tournaments. Wasn't working out as much, and was eating and sleeping like garbage. Kids need to have fun, but you have to balance it.

Eastco, I totally agree with your assessment given the info provided.  Heck, you may have the same question going into next year.  And, as your son develops his skill set, his ideas for college and career direction, etc., you may choose an entirely different option at that time.  I would go the route you have in mind, let it play out and enjoy it, see what things look like a year from now.

Really no reason for a player with those numbers and size to shell out 5K for travel at this stage.  That money can buy a lot of great instruction, gym membership, several long weekend trips together and a whole lotta milk shakes.  Chocolate.  I'd go with chocolate.

Last edited by cabbagedad

I think the consensus is that as a 2023, with those measurables and his current size, nobody is going to be recruiting him this summer. Not playing club ball at all is definitely not a recipe for success in my mind either. He is only a freshman this year, let him develop locally this summer. Let him enjoy himself and enjoy the game. Putting this much emphasis on a player as you described is going to be a great stress on the kid.

EastCO posted:

Ah. Thank you nyc and cabbage dads.  Do you think its possible to get recruited by just using emails, video, independent verified metrics; and going to headfirst and showball camps?  ie. Not playing club ball at all.   Thanks again

If your son ends up belonging in the very large pool that is not P5 D1, it is most likely that the active recruiting will take place summer between junior and senior year (or later).  Also, keep in mind that the majority of players end up in-state or in neighboring states.  Most of the rest go to a HA.  So, for example, a recruiting focus on schools within your region combined with attending Headfirst and/or Showball is certainly plausible.  Sometimes the right travel program can certainly be helpful piece of that equation but not an absolute necessity.  Figure out the right pond and fish in it with the best bait ya got.

Last edited by cabbagedad

Short answer: yes, you can be recruited that way.  You probably have to have been actually playing baseball somewhere, in addition to all the above - presumably including high school.  Also, I'd note that if his measurables aren't recruitable then why bother doing PBR even sophomore summer? Those numbers will be posted online forever until you do another.

We were in a similar situation, didn't know much about any of it; the club told us he "projected mid-major D1."  We realized later that's what people always say, when they don't know where you'll end up, but when they do know you won't be recruited before the summer before senior year.  In fact, he ended up HA D3.

He stayed with his club throughout.  Could he have been recruited without it - probably.  Would he have been in the position that he was - who knows?  Part of it is about recruiting, but part of it has to be about the actual baseball experience each year.  Our son's local choices for summer ball were not that great - coached by dads who loved to coach, but knew little about baseball (and less about recruiting), some players have ended up in college, others never made the high school team, not much fun to play in or watch.  There were various possible clubs, some more local than others, but we stuck with the original one, which played at WWBA etc.  In the end, the organization head was helpful, talked to coaches, so we got some value back (if you want to look at it that way) - maybe the dad coaches would have been just as helpful.  But also, our son enjoyed playing with very skilled and serious players, and being able to compete against good competition.  I don't think it will hurt him, going forward.

EastCO posted:

I have a current freshman (2023);  5ft 7; 126lb MIF/OF  

This is the only part that matters right now. 126 lb guys don't get recruited. I understand he is still growing and while the myth that you need to be 6'0 to play ball is being dispelled the weight is still an issue. As we have learned, you can be 5'7 and hit 400 ft homers, you can be 5'10 and throw 95. But you cannot be 140lbs and hit homers, it's just a strength thing. 

Save the money, play local, and reevaluate in the future. He can play somewhere else for much cheaper while hitting the gym and eating this summer. Let's assume travel costs 2k. 3k is still way too much to be paying for a B or C team. I'm not even sure what preferred access to top tournaments means. You should probably leave the program altogether. 

* For parents wondering how these programs get all the top kids - this is how. Upcharge the younger kids on the 2-4 level teams and let the A guys play for a heavily discounted rate. Younger parents see college commitments on site and flock. 

As rising sophomore, our son did both this past summer. Played for travel team for late May - late July, and also played for HS summer team in June  

in retrospect, he would have committed to playing HS summer team only, and then picked up as possible for teams in July. Would have saved significant money, and saved wear & year on a young body that is still growing. 

I would recommend the same for your 2023: do the HS summer ball, and then, if he’s healthy and interested, look for good teams to pick up with for July (most will have some attrition by then due to injuries). Skip any showcases/camps and focus on those his rising junior summer (if they are appropriate then). 

Last edited by Senna

My kid "elected" or was coerced by dad to join a local travel club that had very reasonable costs (1/3 of what you listed). They played several local PG events and did team showcases at the local D1s and even did a travel tourney in NC. The $ saved gave him year round physical training at a great facility that improved his s&c. 

My son is just a year ahead of yours so I'm in no position to advise, but it seems to me that whatever you do next summer you should do less the following year. 5k is alot to shell out, I'd hate to do it twice, but even worse would be to do it in 20 then do less in 21.  My son ended up playing with his high school this past summer where he was the youngest player, then in fall joined a showcase team that he will stick with going forward.

PitchingFan posted:

You can always pick up for some tournaments through PG message board.  There are teams looking for MIF all the time for tournaments.  I don't think you can justify that money for what you will get. 

Just for clarification - are you saying not to play for a team that may be looking for a MIF for a PG tournament?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.