Skip to main content

So I was wondering who everyone thought was the greatest summer team ever. I was just curious to hear the teams and the reasons why behind them. More importantly, I was wondering how good a team was is determined (is that good gramar?)? Obviously some teams we can look back on see how the kids did in college and subsequently the pros, but what about teams that are playing still? Do what the kids do after they leave the team even matter?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

one, how could a team still playing be a greatest team ever? no one has seen what any has accomplished.... because the season is not over....

two, there is not a team out there (full roster) that could compare to Mustangs, Black Sox, Kyle Chapman, Austin Slam Col.umbia Angels teams of the early 90's....

DBAT's team this year had probably just as good of pitching (as those teams)... but not the position player.....

and we won't even get into the Midland Redskin teams of the past.... or the San Diego Crush team of mid 90's that had Glaus, Chavez, Giles, Zito, Epstein on... etc... etc....
winningist team to date... can do it... no way to figure out strength of schedule.... Tiger, Cats, Mustangs, DBAT, Black Sox, A's.... could all go out and play Super Series or Triple Crown events and play in some run of the much RBI league and all go 57-3... but if you never play the big dawgs day in and day out who really cares about winning %....

BBI Premier has a day in and day out the toughest league schedule around.... Houston's mid week DH's may be close... but not from top to bottom...

Plus so many of the quality teams have guys missing so much during the month of June (All Star games, Area Code, Deep Playoff runs, etc), you can't get a good feel for who's better than who.... come July via AABC, that is when it is all on the table... everyone who is anyone has to go toe to toe with everyone.... nothing beats a good AABC State tourney and even bettera an AABC Regional - especially when everyone on those teams knows what is on the line....

So let's just wait and see who makes some deep runs in the State playoffs through AABC...
Ok I have to reply to this one. One of the best summer teams I ever played against was the 91 Mustang team. About 12 players were D1 players and about 5 Pro Players and I think 2 Big Leaguers. In the 90’s Sam put Monster teams on the field every year.

Now I must brag on one Team. 2001 DBAT Team. This was our 1st team. One Game away from Farmington. Maybe not the best team that day but as time has past maybe the one of the best ever. Here is a Where are they Now.

Robert Ray: TX A&M currently pitching High A Ball for the Blue Jays
Tyler Tarjick: Signed at TX A&M; No longer playing
Chance Douglass: Rice; Currently Pitching AA for the Houston Astros
Brandon Knapp: Pitched this year for North Carolina State)
Jose Salazar: TX A&M currently playing A Ball for the St. Louis Cardinals)
Clark Penfold: Signed at Navarro; currently the assistant coach at Brookhaven
Jack Veyhl: The only kid that did not sign to play college ball
Bryce Cox: Rice; Drafted this year in 3rd Round by Red Sox
Jared Plummer: Signed with LA Dodgers; Currently Pitching AA for KC Royals
Brad Furnish: TCU; Drafted this year 2nd Round by the ST. Louis Cardinals
Damian Gomez: Pepperdine finished his 4th year at DBU
Ty Wallace: Drafted twice but turned it down and currently playing at Tulane
Zack Segovia: Drafted 2nd round by Phillies and currently pitching AA
Eli Mahan: Signed at Tarlatan State; Not playing anymore
Kendal Thurman: Drafted 2 times; Out with Arm surgery
Eli Wayborn: Signed at DBU; Not playing anymore
Gilbert Bustillos: 2 Juco’s then UTA; Not playing anymore
Trey Hearn: Drafted by Cardinals; currently pitching in High A Ball
Matt Spencer: Signed at UT; currently playing with the Fort Worth Cats

Total 19 players
15 D1 Signees
11 Players Drafted
9 Players Currently playing Pro Ball
2 are Married
0 in Jail

By no means am I saying that this is the best team ever. But it has been 5 years and 10 players out of 19 are still playing. As you can tell I am very proud of these guys. Last years team was good but I think in order to say what is the best team ever you have to let time tell. If I had to guess I am sure one of Sam’s teams have 3 or 4 big leaguers. Some day there may be 3 or 4 from this team.
KCR

Please do not remind me of that team... wasn't that the bunch when we all met out in Marshal, TX for the AABC state tourney... we ended up having to double-dip you guys on Sunday... won the first game and then along came that **** Robert ray charqacter again and stuck it to us for about 5 innings....

That was HOT, HOT, and HUMID... but some dang good baseball... and you did have a great team...

That was teh year everyone thought about just going to marshal because noone would be out there... low and behold, everyone was out there... and turned in to a great tournament....

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.