Skip to main content

The college where my son will attend in Fall 2007, suggested that he find a summer league. He gave us a few suggestions but wasn't sure whether these leagues will take incoming freshman. One of the teams (close to our home..Salinas Packers..says on the website that you have to be on the college roster. What does that mean? Any suggestions for son? Lives in San Francisco but willing to travel. Thanks
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Summer teams usually begin forming up in the fall prior to the summer.

From my experiece and observations, the summer team arrangements are generally worked out by your college coach and the summer team coaches.

I suspect that your coaches want to have an idea of where your son would like to play when those plans start coming together.

All of the players come from collegiate teams in the spring which is why the roster requirement is there.
Last edited by FormerObserver
The coaches set up the summer laegue and you do have to be on a college roster.
It is not that easy to find a spot as they fill up quickly. My son has been asked a couple times and could not do it because he has to work in the summer and his social security # only allows him to work on campus.
I don't know if they can accomodate your wishes as to where you get placed.
good qestion newcomer - -
fo & bbhd skimmed(?) and missed the incoming '07 freshman part Wink

this is how it works in the heartland, so something similar prolly exists in your area

the ncaa sanctioned summer wood leagues only accept college players w/eligibility remaining by rule & you won't be a college player until you begin college Smile ... so forget that route

however, other summer (wood) leagues are college level as well and will permit (occasional) incoming freshmen on roster. someone familiar with summer baseball in your area will respond & steer you in the right direction.

imo, I'd shy away from legion etc where you'd be competing against hs players, many of which were last yrs jv team -
because as soon as college begins you'll be competing with guys 3-4 yrs older .. time to get the feet wet

Last edited by Bee>
agree senior leaguge can be an option, but the last one, imo -

I'm all for playing up a bit but facing 35 yr old x-pros hoping for comebacks or re-living their glory days can get old - -
sandpaper in the glove, vaselene in the hat, a wad in the cheek ... WILDLY effective ..
is it the gin in his gatorate bottle?

and ... his golf buddy is the umpire behind the plate Eek
Last edited by Bee>
Did your son play for a summer team last year?
If so, why not play for them?

The reason coaches want incoming freshman to play (especially hitters) so they won't get lazy, keep in some type of shape, stay sharp, etc.

HS travle Summer coaches looking to win, do like older players on the team.

As said previoulsy, you have to be a bona fide college player to play on college summer leagues. That doesn't happen until the first day you set foot on campus.
His summer team would be his high school team..since that's the only summer experience he's had. Now I'm beginning to understand why some of the graduated seniors would show up to games over the past several years! I guess he's kind of caught in the middle: too old for what he use to do and too young for what he needs to do. The college coach said he'd send him a work out schedule to follow for the summer. With that, and whatever games he can pick up, I am wondering if this will be enough?
Newcomer,
Post your question about a select team, or summer after HS, in the California Forum...UrKillingmeblue is from Northern Calif...Bullwinkle...TromblyBaseball...Consultant...BayArea Baseball...06catchersdad...FutureBack.Mom...all are familiar with the summer scene & I'm sure will give you some pointers.
Good luck.
Hey Bee> our senior ball is very serious stuff. Average age is probably 27-28. Guys like Paul Spaljeric, the Butler brothers and several who played in the minors. About 50% are current college players. My son has pitched against these teams since he was 17 in exhibition games.
Senior ball can be beer drinking guzzlers but not these leagues. The only thing I didn't like was most had jobs so on occassion you didn't have a full roster. My son missed 3 starts because of work.
I would love him to play summer college league ball but he needs every cent to pay for those little extras that add up to thousands of dollars. Tuition,room and board are only part of the equation.
bobblehead, my tongue was sorta "in cheek" there ...

you ARE correct it IS serious baeball -
our Canton teams are often in the mix for the AABC or NABF senior/unlimited age WS ... but, I'd still have reservations about recommending that a hs youngster mix with older guys who'd buzz ya just to show they could - -
tho my son did play srs at 17, so . . . whatever works -
just don't grab someone elses water bottle by mistake Eek

LadyN, yes legion does vary by region -
but we're in a competitive region and the rosters ARE mostly last yrs (hs) jv team -

"just the facts ma'am" (Sgt Friday)
Last edited by Bee>
Newcomer, you can check out a Connie Mack team in Northern Calif.

Santa Rosa has a team

Danville Hooks was looking for players: http://eteamz.active.com/danvillehoots/

Golden Era has a Connie Mack team: http://www.goldenerabaseball.com/index.html

Calif Smoke: http://eteamz.active.com/smoke/

El Dorado Hills Vipers: http://eteamz.active.com/EDHVipers/

Bay Area Baseball: http://www.bayareabaseball.com/

There are others in Northern Calif. Coach G or Greg can most likely get you in touch with them.

This is a link to a site that has College Summer leagues:
http://www.geocities.com/colsportsites/summer.html
Last edited by Homerun04
Halo & Canton both in AABC Musial WS in '06

we seem fortunate in that our area has good Sr (unlimited age) league(s), also the NCAA sanctioned "Great Lakes college wood bat league" AND the (not sanctioned) "Erie Shores college wood bat league"

Erie Shores .. a 9 team league stretching from Detroit/Toledo to Pittsburgh - their season plays into NABF college level post season tournament play & offers some great competition for an advanced hs player entering college as well as many local DI/II/III, NAIA & JUCO players
Last edited by Bee>
First, not all college coaches do the placement. My son's JUCO placed players, but where he's at now doesn't. My own son is undecided about what he wants to do because he needs to work this summer. If anyone hears of a league/team needing a LHP, let me know as he needs to decide over the next couple of months what/where, etc.

Now, Newcomer, some leagues as Bee mentioned do allow non college players to play... they are the non-sanctioned teams. My son played in Nashville, TN last summer. If your son would be interested in coming that far, let me know and I can give you a contact name. The league while certainly not the highest level of competition does serve the younger players (college fresh and incoming college) very well. Run by some extremely nice folks too.
Bobblehead - That depends on the league. Some do and some don't. My son's league last summer didn't do a very good job of that.... I don't know of any of the boys that were able to find jobs outside of my son and a couple of others... and his was working for the commissioner himself with tournaments and things the last couple of weeks there. Made for a very expensive summer and one of the reasons, we've got to do things differently this year especially since his current coach doesn't place.

I think the summer leagues kind be similar to finding the right fit in a college.... they all offer different things as far as competition, assisting with employment, housing, travel, etc. Many players don't have the option as they play where their coach places them though.
Laf I agree it can be an exdpensive summer.
We tried to balance BB with a need to work and the colleg has been very good to my son. They are trying to figure iut how to help him. His soc sec # is only good on campus.
We like Bee> have excellent senior ball leagues that have been around for 30 years or more. Both leagues have turned into college summer leagues with a healthy mix of top older players. My son's team had about 8 college guys on it.
The league that some of his college teammates played in last summer were heavily scouted by MLB scouts.
quote:
by Newcomer: I'm reading FormerObserver's post and wondering about that, too. - -
FO says: "A little time off from baseball, before college in the fall is not a bad thing"
3+ months off before arriving on campus where you'll compete with 3 dozen others for team standing . . .
I think many of us are also wondering about that post! Eek

Last edited by Bee>
quote:
Originally posted by Bee>:
quote:
by Newcomer: I'm reading FormerObserver's post and wondering about that, too. - -
FO says: "A little time off from baseball, before college in the fall is not a bad thing"
3+ months off before arriving on campus where you'll compete with 3 dozen others for team standing . . .
I think many of us are also wondering about that post! Eek

I hear of players committing to a college and think it is all done. I think it should just be the opposite, I think the player needs to kick it into high gear and get even stronger and better before you get on campus.

Players have slumps their senior year or take off the summer before going to college will not show well for the prospect coming in hoping to get a shot at the position.

Newcomer - Your son plays in a very strong high school league, but it sounds like your son has mostly played in something like legion ball, well others going to the school may have played high level summer ball, let alone the returning guys who will have played college ball and summer college leagues, so it may be a good idea to play at a higher level during the summer to get used to it, that is if your son was not overworked during the high school year.

http://usfdons.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/112106aab.html
I totally agree that most (if not all) of the other players coming in as freshman, along with my son, have played on high-power summer or travel team. In fact, thanks to PG Crosschecker, I was able to see the names of some of the players joining my son: I haven't been able to check on all of them, but the guys from our area have all played on elite travel teams. A couple of them have played on multiple teams of this caliber since they were kids (thank you google for keeping archives on kids since little league!!) Anyway, while I've been researching this, I've gone on the website of a couple of different teams here in Northern California. There seems to be several different leagues. The question is: should we pick a team based on the players profiles (i.e.which colleges they are attending) or on the coaches or on the caliber of league (a question not easily answered because I have no idea what I'm looking for). It almost seems easier to look at the rosters and think "oh, there's guys from UCSB, Cal Poly, Cal, Sonoma State, St. Mary's...good programs and these guys are on this team.."
quote:
The college coach said he'd send him a work out schedule to follow for the summer. With that, and whatever games he can pick up, I am wondering if this will be enough?

1) College coach will send him a WORK OUT schedule to FOLLW FOR THE SUMMER.

2) AND WHATEVER GAMES HE CAN PICK UP.

THE QUESTION WAS:

quote:
will be enough?

quote:

BEE said:
quote:

FO, didn't say take 3+ months off.

quote:
most (if not all) of the other players coming in as freshman, along with my son, have played on high-power summer or travel team.

I did make the assumption that your son had played "high-power summer or travel team".

And, given that he has played at a high level:

1) College coach will send him a WORK OUT schedule to FOLLW FOR THE SUMMER.

2) AND WHATEVER GAMES HE CAN PICK UP.

I consider this "A little time off from baseball, before college in the fall is not a bad thing"

I don't think traveling all summer and playing 60 games is a good thing.

I do think going into college fall baseball with dead legs is a bad thing.

I hope this helps you, Newcomer, and clarifies things for the rest of the confused..............
Last edited by FormerObserver
quote:
by FO: I hope this helps you, Newcomer, and clarifies things for the rest of the confused
quote:
by FO: I did make the assumption that your son had played "high-power summer or travel team" . . . And, given that he has played at a high level
Confused
quote:
by newcomer (some paraphrase by me): his summer team would be his high school team since that's the ONLY summer experience he's had . . . so, except for my son, most (if not all) of the other players in my son's recruiting class have played on high-power summer or travel teams

Wink
Last edited by Bee>
The list of connie mack teams is a good place to start. There are actually two santa rosa teams.

Another option is a team from Sacramento Rural League http://calball.com/indexlast.html. I know the SF team and Novato teams have had recent HS grads on their teams. Additionally the Marin Merchants have also had recent HS grads although they are generally College of Marin players.

I haven't seen many recent HS grads on "college league" teams and the HS grad that was on my son's team last really struggled adjusting to the level of play. Many of the Sac rural league teams also play games against the college teams.
My Son who is a Senior this year hopes to play in a College League this Summer. He actually had the chance to play with one this past Summer. It was a fantastic learning experience for him and he would like that again. Even if it meant only playing about 20% of the games. The reason he got to play is they lost players due to injuries and such and he was brought in for bullpen so we thought. This was at the end of his Summer season. Anyway the Coach put him in the game to give the one and only Catcher they had left a break. He did great!! During the playoffs the one and only Catcher was injured so he got to play in the Playoff games as well. If I remember right he played in four games for them. I would have to ask my Son if I have that number correct though. LOL. All during the Summer before his Senior year. So he is hungry to get a chance like that again!

We have talked to some teams outside of that league too. In case it doesn't work out this Summer. The School he signed with is trying to help out also with the College league. But at one meeting( not a College league team) we went to it seemed too involved. Games everyday of the week! WE just came off of a Summer Season where he played with 3 teams. His regular Summer team, then invited to play with another in a World Series, then that College team. Then straight into Fall Showcase ball where he got all of his attention. So it was worth it!! But the idea of him playing everyday during the Summer I think would burn him out going into his Freshman year at College. The reason why the Coach of this team said is to get these boys exposure. But our Son is already signed and knows where he is going. These games will not be played in areas where his College Coach will see him. I am thinking it is too much. So if the College league does not work out he may just do a Legion team.

What do you all think of incoming Freshman playing everyday of their Summer. Plus travel. We are talking both double header Saturday's and Sunday's. I think part of my hesitation is like what happened with the College League team. Our Son ended up being the only Catcher on the Summer team. The other Catcher didn't like that our Son started over him so he just quit! Son had like 10 to 11 games in 12 days at one point. Double headers everything with no break. Of course being a Catcher that is brutal. He made it through and once they were not all back to back games was able to recover quickly. That is why he was able to help those other 2 teams out. I would just hate for him to go into his Freshamn season dead tired when he needs to prove he is up to the task.

Newcomer,
We hope that Son can find a team that plays against some really tough competition even if his team isn't the strongest. His biggest goal is to get the chance to hit the good College Pitcher's. He has proven he can Catch them but wants to hit against them now. If that makes sense. He needs that to prepare for his Freshman Season. SO I would look for a team in a good league but it doesn' have to be the strongest team in the league. JMHO. SOmeone else might have a better idea than me though since I am just as new as you at this.
quote:
by sue: What do you all think of incoming Freshman playing everyday of their Summer.
my 2 cents
it's time for you to help your son determine the difference between a demanding schedule & getting beat up. catching double headers on a 1 catcher team fits "getting beat up".

the next 3-4 yrs basicly goes like this ..

conditioning, fall baseball & school
small group instruction, conditioning & school

thanksgiving with the family - workout on your own
conditioning & school
Christmas with the family - workout on your own
school, practice, regular season & continue conditioning
wood bat summer league
back to school & back to the top of the list

some are prepared, some get their eyes opened and adjust, & some drop by the wayside

jmo
Last edited by Bee>
quote:
Originally posted by Bee>:
quote:
by sue: What do you all think of incoming Freshman playing everyday of their Summer.
my 2 cents
it's time for you to help your son determine the difference between a demanding schedule & getting beat up. catching double headers on a 1 catcher team fits "getting beat up".

jmo

See I totally agree. It was awful this past Summer on his regular team. They should of recruited another Catcher when the one dropped off but they didn't. The Coach was not the same Coach as the Summer before and he didn't worry about keeping the players in good shape or not tearing them down. We were so glad when that team's season was over!! If the other Coach had been back that would never ever have happened. Even if he had to put another position player into Catch he would of. DH finally had to lay down the law and tell him that our Son was not going to Catch certain games that he was tearing him down and he needed a much deserved break. Needless to say the Coach was furious but had no choice at the point DH was not going to back down.

I guess you agree with our thought that this other team that plans on playing every single day is crazy?
Sue I would check to see how many catchers that team will have. I have never seen a team that dosn't have 3-4 catchers. In college your son coulf be competing against 5-6 catchers and could be begging for playing time. My son's team had 7 catchers.
Any team I have been involved with would never let a catcher play back to back. They were always alternated even if one was considerably better than the others.
If he played college summer league he would definitly have faced better pitchers.
quote:
Originally posted by BobbleheadDoll:
Sue I would check to see how many catchers that team will have. I have never seen a team that dosn't have 3-4 catchers. In college your son coulf be competing against 5-6 catchers and could be begging for playing time. My son's team had 7 catchers.
Any team I have been involved with would never let a catcher play back to back. They were always alternated even if one was considerably better than the others.
If he played college summer league he would definitly have faced better pitchers.

The summer team Coach said they will have 3 Catcher's total. Eve so everyday is alot. He is not saying he will Catch every day by any means. Just that the team will play everyday. But there would be games he would play other positions or DH. What percentage of those games he would who knows. I think at this point we will keep looking and see what his College Coach comes up with. Hopefully there is a happy medium somewhere.
quote:
The summer team Coach said they will have 3 Catcher's total. Eve so everyday is alot. He is not saying he will Catch every day by any means. Just that the team will play everyday. But there would be games he would play other positions or DH. What percentage of those games he would who knows. I think at this point we will keep looking and see what his College Coach comes up with. Hopefully there is a happy medium somewhere.

When the college summer team has at least three healthy catchers all three will also be competing with the extra 1st baseman and outfielders for extra bats. My son played on a college summer team with three catchers, none of the catchers got injured or missed games, my son occassionally got to DH and play in the outfield. My son was disappointed he didn't get more at bats etc. and he played a 50 game schedule!!

You need to look for an opportunity that maximizes his "live" at-bats.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.