Skip to main content

Hey folks...

Now that the summer season here in MD is winding down, give me some recaps of how your high school age teams did this season.

Seen some nice things about Baltimore Buzz, MD O's, Maryland Select, Fowble Terriers, etc...

What about the local Legion teams? When is the state tournament, or have I missed it already?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The Aberdeen Arsenal is currently doing well in the AAU 14U World Series. Maryland Select 17U just finished up a very successful season. Frederick Babe Ruth placed their 13U and 14U in the Mid Atlantic Regionals after winning the state crowns. The Francis Scott Key Post 11 (Frederick) Junior Legion team just finished 3rd at the NABF World Series. The Maryland State Legion tournament is currently underway at McCurdy Field in Frederick.
quote:
Originally posted by R Ringer:
The Aberdeen Arsenal is currently doing well in the AAU 14U World Series. Maryland Select 17U just finished up a very successful season. Frederick Babe Ruth placed their 13U and 14U in the Mid Atlantic Regionals after winning the state crowns. The Francis Scott Key Post 11 (Frederick) Junior Legion team just finished 3rd at the NABF World Series. The Maryland State Legion tournament is currently underway at McCurdy Field in Frederick.

Legion Tournament is my favorite to watch. Mt. Airy Gold Star Post...I'm a big fan! Unfortunately, they were just knocked out.
The mid-atlantic Mets had a very successful season so far with one tournament left to play at ECU this weekend, including 3rd place in the ODU summer classic and champions of the Perfect Game related showcase out of Manassas, VA. The Mets have three baltimore players on their team:

Blake Geiger '09 Calvert Hall College High School
Nick Benges '09 North County High School
Harry Slade '09 Loyola Blakefield High School

nice job fellas!
List of college committments for MD Select..

7 Dani Ashbaugh - Uncommitted
33 Sander Beck - Maryland
8 Patrick Blair - Wake Forest (V)
13 Nick Caddick - California University of Pennsylvania
25 Jack Carey - Wake Forest (V)
2 Josh Conway - Coastal Carolina (V)
20 Michael Dillon - Ohio
23 Bobby Donato - Bucknell
12 Kyle Haynes - Virginia Commonwealth (V)
22 Ryan Kemp - St. Josephs
3 Nick Kime - Virginia Commonwealth (V)
16 Brandon King - Tennessee (V)
29 Branden Kline - Virginia (V)
19 Eddie Palmer - Uncommitted
1 Colby Roane - St. Josephs
24 Greg Terry - Eastern Kentucky
9 Joel Worthington - Uncommitted

V = Verbal
Good ol' Tom Long. Real good guy to deal with in my opinion. We used to really enjoy playing his club, be the game at Harry Grove or McCurdy!

I reiterate my point how much I LOVE American Legion baseball. In my opinion, the best coaches in the area coach Legion baseball. You can't hand pick your team. You have to play with the cards you are dealt. And the guys who get it done consistently have demonstrated to me they could coach their way out of anything!
Larry, You're right about Tommy. The one thing that strikes you most about him instantly is his passion. He eats, sleeps, and breathes American Legion baseball. He has worked hard and put his soul into that program. These kids play a LOT of baseball and Tommy works hard at putting together the most challenging schedule he can for them to play. He loves his players and they love him back. One of the silent heroes on his coaching squad is Dan Herche. Dan is one of the most knowledgeable coaches you'll ever meet. He is also a great guy. They have a good thing going and it's been neat to watch them over the last few years.
No. The newest General Manager of the Keys put the damper on using Harry Grove. As you may remember, a lot of organizations used to use Grove Stadium for tournaments and special games back when Joe Pinto was running the show. Joe was very friendly to local baseball. The new guy changed that completely. They raised the rates so high that there was no way in the world that it made any kind of financial sense to rent the facility. He also changed groundskeepers when he took over as well and the new guy had no clue what he was doing. It got so bad that the Keys had to postpone/cancel several games a few years ago. They just spent a ton of money completely re-doing the field and it certainly isn't that impressive even now. It's really become a corporate money machine.

The Legion now has to battle for time at Loats and McCurdy field with Frederick Babe Ruth and others. It would really be a dream if some rich person would step forward and donate some land or money for them to build their own complex. Heaven knows that Tommy has the ability to build one heck of a field since he's been the City's groundskeeper for so many years. The Legion program is hitting on all cylinders. The Seniors have finished second in the state the last three years and the Juniors ran the table this year in their division and finished 3rd in the 17U NABF World Series. The Seniors did it despite losing Walkersville High School players from their draw area to Thurmont.

You should drop Tommy a line sometime. I bet he'd love to hear from you. His address is: tommylong4@hotmail.com

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.