Skip to main content

It is an amazing thing that our national IQ has been dumbed down to the current state.

NCAA has divided up the nation in eight regions to make sure that all of the naton's colleges are in competition at the Super Regional in their section of the country.

Folks from the northeast region will have to allow extra commuting time now that their games will be played in Florida, rather than at a northeastern state. Vanderbilt from Tennessee must be the northeastern representative even though the game is being played at Florida State.

I know our national aptitude for geography has been dulled, but how is it that certain states can represent multplie regions of the nation?

Why do we demand that student athletes maintain higher and higher standards while the administration of their sports becomes less and less intelligent?
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Based upon the teams still in the tournament, I think the location of the super regionals make a lot of sense.

When there is no team above the Mason-Dixon line left in the tournament, why would they hold a super regionals in the northeast?

Florida State already traveled to Connecticut, as a reward for winning the region, I think it makes sense for them to have this round in their state.
Last edited by cheapseats
quote:
Originally posted by CADad:
So far the seeding has been pretty impressive with 7 of 8 #1 seeds making the super regionals and the lowest seed being a #2.

They're doing a pretty good job. There isn't much chance of getting the 8 best teams in the CWS given that they're divided by region but they've done pretty well.

I agree. I think the NCAA did a fine job this year. I would encourage people to look at the roster of some of these southern teams. You might be surprised at the number of northern players on some of these teams. Vanderbilt is one I think they said have four starters from the NE including Carl Yastremski's grandson Mike. How many people predicted that Minnesota would take a game from Fullerton?
Good game on ESPN2 right now, as Vandy has come back to tie FSU 6-6 after trailing by five runs...check that, Vandy is now up 7-6!

CD...I was watching a Pre Tourney show on ESPNU, just prior to the CSF/MINN series, and one of the analyst predicted that Minnesota had a great chance of stealing game one because of the starting pitcher for the Gophers...he was right!
quote:
Originally posted by trojan-skipper:
Anybody else surprised that Purke chose a 4 yr college instead of a juco where he could get drafted right away again??? He was dynamite today wasn't he!

I get the impression that Purke is one of those lefthanders who dances to his own drumbeat. CC Sabathia wears his hat that way and he does not disrespect the game. Purke has the best stuff I have seen from anyone all year. He reminds of Steve Carlton.
CD,
I made the comment, not trojan-skipper, And yes I have watched C.C. for years, he grew up near where I live. Yes, they both show a certain amount of disrespect,IMO, for the game. To me it looks as bad as turning the bill up. Yes, I know, this is the hip hop generation and I should accept it, but I'm old school and to set in my ways. Next they will untuck their jersey's and have their BB pants hanging below their backsides. Than after that they'll want instant replay.

If I remember all I have forgot, I'll forget to remember TOFT
Great job tonight by Gator Panteliodis on the hill. He was in the zone against the Canes. Son caught him in high school, great to see him pitch a power game like that. I remember watching him throw a perfect game in high school.

Not sure where the "Johnny Pants" nickname came from, but after hearing it about 100 times tonight from the announcers, doubt he'll be able to shake it.
quote:
Originally posted by ClevelandDad:
Gerrit Cole will probably spend as much time in the minor leagues as Mike Leake did Eek

It's hard to argue that, Gerrit Cole is a stud! But he's getting a pitching lesson tonight from Cal State Fullerton's Noe Ramirez. Ramirez has an absolutely Nasty change-up to go with his low 90's fastball. He's been fun to watch thus far, eleven K's through six innings.
That Univ of Virginia/Okla Univ game was ugly. I can't believe I watched the whole thing. That was the worst game UVA has played all year by far. Congrats to OK for executing their plan, and keeping their foot on the gas. They took the crowd out of it early, and often.

I'm not sure what the future of UVA baseball is going to look like as they had many players (9) drafted including many core players. Will it be rebuilding or reloading for UVA next year? We'll see what Coach O'Connor has up his sleeve for recruiting and transfers.
quote:
Originally posted by JimW.:
S. Carolina/Coastal Carolina game was awesome! What a game!
Christian Walker is another one of those nothern players who can't play. Razz He played high school ball in the next town over. Last year he won the high school home run derby over Bryce Harper.
quote:
The better coached team will win the great majority of games played.

That and good pitching will take you far.

Cole from UCLA is good.But the other two starters are good.Cole just needs to mature a little more, gets rattled at times.My son faced all three this year, and they are good.A Sunday guy Rasmussen was a 2nd round pick.He would be a Friday night starter in many programs.UCLA is loaded with talented pitchers.
Speaking of UCLA

"UCLA sophomore second baseman Tyler Rahmatulla will miss the 2010 College World Series after breaking his wrist in the postgame celebration on Sunday. He is currently hitting .328 with seven homers and 45 RBI on the year. This is a key loss for the Bruins as he is the team’s number three hitter in the order and provides leadership on the field. We should see how this effects the Bruins offense which heading into the CWS was the weakest out of the eight teams left."

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.