Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Steelers-Packers. I don't like Jay Cutler. (I'm still waiting for him to mess up, badly.) I love the conference championships, though. I'm hoping for good games.

CPLZ, the ACL surgery thread got me thinking about that guy from the Bears who had something like 15 knee operations in 10 years. Was it Dan Hampton? Is he still around? I can't imagine how his knees feel, now.
quote:
Originally posted by AntzDad:
Steelers-Packers. I don't like Jay Cutler. (I'm still waiting for him to mess up, badly.) I love the conference championships, though. I'm hoping for good games.

CPLZ, the ACL surgery thread got me thinking about that guy from the Bears who had something like 15 knee operations in 10 years. Was it Dan Hampton? Is he still around? I can't imagine how his knees feel, now.
Mark Schlereth of the Redskins and Broncos had 29 surgeries, 20 on his knees (15 left, 5 right). He's now a football analyst for ESPN. His son pitches for the Tigers. Dan Hampton ONLY had twelve knee surgeries.
Last edited by RJM
Cutler has everything you want in a QB from the physical side of the equation. And none of what you want and need from the QB as far as a leader. He comes across as a spoiled brat that is playing for himself. He does not inspire his team mates. Unless he can change that and I dont think a person can, Chicago will never win a championship with him.

A QB must be a leader. He must inspire his team. Big Ben will lead his team to a win tonight. And the Steelers will beat the Packers in a slugfest for another championship.
I agree with you Coach. I was thinking the same thing as I was watching Cutler on the sidelines. I don't know the nature of his injury...but I'd think the leader of the offense would have tried to tough it out a little? You'd think he would of rallied his teammates around him and said..."Hey, I'm not mobile right now fellas, I need to stay in the pocket. But if you protect me and give me time, I'll help lead us to Victory!" Unfortunately, this is what I see in Cutler...great talent, with a tremendous toolbox, but doesn't appear to have much heart!?

Phillip Rivers played his tail off a couple years ago with a torn ACL. Ronnie Lott had a portion of his pinky removed so that he can continue on. Jack Youngblood played with a Broken Ankle...and there are many others!

Tonight we're watching Big Ben who looked pretty hurt a few minutes ago...and now the man is running for first downs in the middle of the field!
quote:
Originally posted by Coach_May:

A QB must be a leader. He must inspire his team. Big Ben will lead his team to a win tonight. And the Steelers will beat the Packers in a slugfest for another championship.

Cutler had a way better year than I thought he could, but he has never impressed me as the QB who wants the ball when the game is on the line. Who remembers Byron Leftwich playing for Marshall with a broken leg? As the clock ticked toward zero, his teammates carried him down the field on the game winning drive.

Hard to spot Pittsburgh such big lead and beat them, but the Jets made the second half interesting. The Steelers stop on fourth and goal was huge.
Last edited by AntzDad
quote:
Originally posted by AntzDad:

A few years ago I read an interview/article in the Arkansas Democarat Gazette of the Arkansas native. He was retired and had a ranch north of Little Rock close to Jacksonville. The price of a life long football player has taken a toll on his physical body. Those who are familiar with his career can say he gave it his all in all...can only imagine what kind of ranch he has.
As far as Cutler, I don't think the bears even make it to this game if he is not there.

His toughness? 52 sacks this year, 9 in the first half off the Giants game with a concussion and still trying to get on the field. 2 years of getting his brains beat in with this offensive line. Look at the time the Stealers qb had. It looked like the Beras were trying to get him back out on a sloppy field with no footing and when it didn;t work the coaches made a decision to switch as if his knee was not working and he could not move out of the pocket effectively he was not going to help the "team" as the pocket was collapsing on every play. With Hainey moving around it at least gave them a chance. So maybe they pulled him for the team.

As far as leadership all I hear from his teammates is that he is a leader, Kreutz, Urlacher all defending him both as a leader and his toughness. I will listen to them over the Jimmy of the world that don't like him because he is not a good interview.

As a leader he organized the receivers in the off season for extra workouts to learn the Martz system all on their own time.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.