Skip to main content

Looks like Swarthmore is going the way of NESCAC, which means the Centennial conference is in trouble, baseball wise.  This assumes that no athletics will happen if all students can't be on campus that would normally be on campus.

"Don't be mean now because remember: Wherever you go, there you are..." Buckaroo Banzai

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I think the HA D3s are not likely to have athletics if they can't have everyone on campus because it wouldn't be received as equitable (prioritizing athletes over others who desire to be on campus) and they don't have the argument that they need the revenue from athletics.  But unfortunately, athletes at D3s do make up a significant chunk of the student enrollment so they risk losing them too.  The highest academics will always have a waitlist to get in though so probably not their biggest concern.

I live in NESCAC-land (New England) in an area where there are very few cases but it's on the rise and we're about to get shut inside for 6 months due to weather. I can see the arguments from both sides. People are paying significant $ for their kids to get a high worth degree, and want their kids on campus, but the small towns don't want the problems and the kids can't be locked down on campus forever.  20 cases in ones of these small towns with small hospitals and the threat of community spread is a problem, while it's just a blip at some universities elsewhere.

I'm not saying I like the situation, and several kids I know are affected and it is heartbreaking. I am just hard pressed to find fault with how either the families, kids or administrations are feeling about things and the decisions they have to make.

That is just terrible news about the NESCAC. I believe in precautions and all the protocols but I think schools have gone off the rails. I think it all comes down to insurance and lawsuits. My son has a few offers on the table with DIIIs and I'm wondering what this means for incoming NESCAC recruits and if DIIIs are going to see total chaos and a flood of available players come back into the recruit pool. This process has been crazy enough and now it might get even crazier. I saw Swathmore also announced no spring sports for the school.

My condolences too, Smoke. Not happy to hear this and it’s so unnecessary. I didn’t realize that PA was such a mess of a state. Politics seems to be placed ahead of the best interests of student athletes there, and a number of other states too. I find it very disappointing and discouraging about where our country seems to be headed.

That sucks. Sorry, Smoke. 

SoCal, I'm not hearing anything that would give me hope, but still, the calculus is different in a warmer climate with schools all located close to each other. My opinion is that if the govt allows SCIAC schools to open, most of them will, and if they're open, they'll have spring sports. 

... but then again I still believe in Santa and the tooth fairy.

@TPM posted:

I don't know where you got those stats but I would bet it's going to get worse.

Andrew Bostom
@andrewbostom
1/ Campus C19 update, 10/5/20: Despite ~70K C19+ tests at 50 major universities, barely any reported hospitalizations (i.e., 3), & no deaths. (Tabulated below, with explanation, & more refs following tweet thread)
ImageNot sure why you expect it to get worse.  Most schools have already had a spike in cases. My son’s school had 500 at one time, now only 15.  This does not effect college students the way it does the elderly.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.