Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

What are you trying to correct? 

Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.  Your back elbow leading the knob as much as it does can cause a problem -- make's your swing "long."  Try getting your hands to move more directly to the ball so they catch up with your elbow.  Also, I think you loose your front hip and over rotate.  Try keeping you front foot closed and fight it from opening up during the swing.  Good luck.   

Originally Posted by NDallasDad:

Thanks for the feedback.

Basic issues -  lack of consistent solid contact.Too many weak grounders to left side and flares to right side.  

Prior to this video, working on keeping bat on plane down with ball longer.  Previously have been swinging more "outside in" and at a pretty steep angle.

Work on keeping your front hip in.  You're pulling off which causes the flairs to the right.  Keep you hands in so you don't come around the ball.  Good luck. 

Looks like he's going to generate some power when he makes solid contact.

Not a hitting coach so don't take what I say too seriously, but....

• Weak ground balls often result from trying to pull outside pitches. Make sure he's letting the ball travel.
  • Ground balls result, obviously, from hitting the top of the ball. Often this happens because the hitter's view of the ball is off.  Hold up a pencil at the level of your son's eyes as he hits in the video.  He's bobbing up and down a lot.  It's hard to square up on the ball like that. He needs to quiet down his upper body and get his head still.
  • I'm sure you've heard the teach "short to the ball, long through the ball".  He's kind of the opposite of that.    There are drills, but a coach would be a good idea.
Originally Posted by NDallasDad:

Thanks for the feedback.

Basic issues -  lack of consistent solid contact.Too many weak grounders to left side and flares to right side.  

Prior to this video, working on keeping bat on plane down with ball longer.  Previously have been swinging more "outside in" and at a pretty steep angle.

1.  The load sinks into the back leg a bit as opposed to more of a back to front movement. Tilting. 

2.  The leading arm gets really barred when loaded.

3.  Along with arm bar, look at his spine angle at front heel plant.  It is tilted very rearward.

4.  Then look at bat angle when trailing elbow "slots" against right side. It is still almost vertical. It need to be much flatter (pointing more to C) at this point. 

5.  All of this leads to a steep down, steep up, swing where (especially on outside pitches) you get "chipped" weak ground balls to the left side and weak pops to the right side. 

Work on staying more stacked over the back leg (but balanced) with a more verticle spine, getting the barrel turned earlier, and not rolling over quite so early. The energy of the swing is not being delivered out through the ball At this point. Pastime athletics on YouTube has some great slow mo swings you can look at. Josh Donaldson, tulowitski, are a couple good ones. 

Start a little wider in your stance

Knock your knees inward very slightly

Keep weight inside back foot on load

Basically, you sit too far back on load and never really transfer weight fully.  You can tell because if you pause it at contact, your head is behind your back knee (which is too far back).  Try those 3 things above and see how it feels.

Keep up the good work

You did everything right except actually move the bat head back toward the catcher.  You expended all the energy to (correctly) drive your back shoulder and elbow down, but never moved the bat head.

This issue is causing the back elbow to get in front of the hands (called bat drag).  Don't try to correct by pushing your hands, that would make it worse.

When your back elbow goes down, the bat head must be going backwards.  Do some dry drills (with no bat) in front of a mirror.

You don't have 'armbar'.  Don't change that.  The hips are not 'flying open' (the hips above match MLB hitters in this phase).  Don't waste time on that.

Your biggest enemy is time.

Last edited by SultanofSwat

Agree with PA2016BACKSTOP.  I have taught a little hitting over the years, and it seems each kid understands things differently.  So......I have to find the way his brain will process the info.  Getting the correct thing to happen can be explained in 20 different ways, depending on the person and how they process.  So, as said, ask questions if getting a lesson, and don't get it.  Study the guys on TV.  See what they do with the feet, the legs, the hips, the hands, wrists, elbow, back, neck, and head.  There is all kind of good slow mo videos online to study.  Hitting technique is all very similar in the Bigs, once the swing has started.  Find a good coach.  Hit the inside 1/2 of the ball.  Hit it the other way.  Simple thoughts to keep your hands inside the ball.  Your hips are definitely flying open way too early, as said previously.  Building a swing takes time.  Fix one thing at a time.  Good luck!

First -  I would really like to thank everyone for providing feedback on the swing.  A few different thoughts, but some common themes. We have read them many times and watched them relative to pro videos.  

Second -  Son will focus on 2 things.   1 - get bat head flat when elbow slots or hits his side. 2- really "torque" hands during swing.

Third - We'll post another video once he has made progress on these 2 items. I hope the community will again find time to comment.

Thank you.

Last edited by NDallasDad

Too much upper body movement, too much....

Start with the weight on the inside of your back foot. A little hitch with the hands when the pitcher starts his first movement will not hurt you at all. Remember hands back on movement then get set.

Soft front step and knock the glasses off the table.???. What in the world does that mean?

Great concentration drill:

Visualize a level swing taking the hands to the ball. See yourself knocking all the glasses off the tablein a straight line creates a level smooth swing.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.