Skip to main content

I seem to have a lot of issues with my swing. I'm not very consistent at all, even on the tee. There are times when I'm opening up too early, but then other times my shoulder stays closed well. Sometimes my back shoulder drops too early and I drag through the zone, but other times I can't feel that happening. Those seem to be my main two problems, but also my hands-- I don't know what angle they come in. I've felt pretty comfortable with them aiming about six inches in front of my front foot, but I'm not sure. 

I'm still having trouble focusing too. I think that may be why I'm not always that consistent. Whenever I'm swinging I feel that I'm swinging with a purpose, but whenever I'm done I feel like I'm just making bad habits, both with my swing and mentally by just swinging to swing, not to get better. So if anyone has some tips on how I can become more consistent and fix my mental approach to practice, that would be great. What can I do to stop dropping my back shoulder?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by GoldenGraham34:

I seem to have a lot of issues with my swing. I'm not very consistent at all, even on the tee. There are times when I'm opening up too early, but then other times my shoulder stays closed well. Sometimes my back shoulder drops too early and I drag through the zone, but other times I can't feel that happening. Those seem to be my main two problems, but also my hands-- I don't know what angle they come in. I've felt pretty comfortable with them aiming about six inches in front of my front foot, but I'm not sure. 

I'm still having trouble focusing too. I think that may be why I'm not always that consistent. Whenever I'm swinging I feel that I'm swinging with a purpose, but whenever I'm done I feel like I'm just making bad habits, both with my swing and mentally by just swinging to swing, not to get better. So if anyone has some tips on how I can become more consistent and fix my mental approach to practice, that would be great. What can I do to stop dropping my back shoulder?

Age?

What do your coaches say? Are they able to help? If not try and find lessons somewhere even if it's short term they will give u drills to work on. 

Originally Posted by playball2011:
Originally Posted by GoldenGraham34:

Age?

What do your coaches say? Are they able to help? If not try and find lessons somewhere even if it's short term they will give u drills to work on. 

I'm 13, only  playing select ball, and my coaches are pretty helpful with my swing mechanics but they don't help too much about being consistent. I think I might try that, thoug

Quit thinking about so many things at once.  A lot of your problem, from reading your post, is too much is going through your head.  Lots of hitting instructors talk about hands, hips, front shoulder, back hip, etc.  Try this to start.  Anytime you hit off of the tee, soft toss, bp, short toss.  Don't watch where the ball goes.  Keep your head and eyes down as if looking right into the tee after hitting the ball.  Your front shoulder will always do what your head does.  Head down, shoulder down.  Throw your head, open up shoulder. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.