Skip to main content

I'm new to HS baseball having a frosh. Does anyone on here talk TAPPS? If so, what are your thoughts on TAPPS 5A Dist 1? Schools in alpha order are:

Addison Trinity Christian
Dallas Bishop Dunne
Dallas Bishop Lynch
Fort Worth Nolan Catholic
Grapevine Faith Christian School
Plano John Paul II
Plano Prestonwood Christian
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

GT - we played Bishop Lynch in the final of the 2009 SGP Warrior Classic. A very solid group of mature/skilled players. At the time, I had a chance to visit with some of the BL parents, if I remember corectly all but one player was classified as a SR. After their TAPPS State Championship runner-up bid, I always wondered how a program like Lynch reloads?

GED10DaD
Last edited by GunEmDown10
I don't know yet, ChargerDad. Too early to tell and I have not seen them practice or scrimmage...let alone play. There are some strong players, but it doesn't seem like a real deep team. If they can stay away from injuries, they should do ok but a lot will depend on how good the others in the district are and if the right pitcher lines up against the right competition. They have a couple strong pitchers that should do well if they keep it in the strikezone. I don't think anyone would consider them a favorite. How is DC looking?
Last edited by Tx-Husker
I agree Nolan and TCA have to be the favorites in the district. Both have some pretty talented players coming back.

Lynch lost a ton of talent. They have to replace their whole line-up 1 thru 9, as well as their entire pitching staff. Last years senior class was a special group. This should be an interesting year for BL as they have a new coach and only one player from last years team returning.

I did hear though that the Freshman class has some real talent.
Bishop Lynch may be in a rebuilding year but that should not be taken as them not being talented. There were several players on last year's JV that would have been varsity players if not for the strength of that senior Varsity team.

I am not saying they will be in first place but they will be a team that gets stronger as the year progesses and they gain experience playing against varsity teams. They won't have the power of last year's team but will hit. They also have quality arms that could be exceptional.

It is unfair to compare any team to last year's varsity as a team like that only comes along once every twenty years.
Last edited by LadsDad
quote:
Best team in 20 years??

I think he was exaggerating to make a point. Last year's BL team was awfully strong. You're right there have been others but they don't come around every year at smaller schools. Prestonwood's 06/07 was one of those. 26-1, only loss in the state championship game (this will be a que for Chargerdad to speak up Smile ). Players included Cameron Rupp, Jordan Swagerty, Hunter Hill...and many more. They were a stout bunch.
There are no Lynches in terms of powerhouse teams in 5A this year, but there should be some very good competition. My money would be with Nolan, which seemed to turn things around last season under its new head coach. They only lost a couple of position players and bring back pretty much all their starting pitchers and their all-state catcher from a team whose only district losses were to Lynch.

As for Lynch, it’s a rebuilding year, for sure. New (but experienced) coach, plus it’s unrealistic to think you can pull up the entire JV squad and expect them to win district without any previous varsity seasoning. TCA could be interesting if they can build some more quality pitching to go with Hursch, and of course they always seem to find a way to be in the hunt. I don’t think it’s a big secret that Prestonwood and Grapevine Faith were big disappointments after being so highly touted moving up to 5A last year. Welcome to the new neighborhood. I keep thinking that John Paul II is going to rear up and surprise some of us one day.

All that said, in order: Nolan, TCA, Prestonwood, Lynch, Grapevine Faith, John Paul II and Dunne.
quote:
Originally posted by Rhino14:
Gametimer, what did Liberty Christian look like yesterday?

Liberty is playing in the James Taylor this week.

They have wins over Corsicana, Abilene, and Denton Ryan with two to play today.

They won the Southwest tourney with wins over Lynch, Faith, Southwest and Fort Worth Christian.

7-0 to start the season.
quote:
Originally posted by LCSfan:
quote:
Originally posted by Rhino14:
Gametimer, what did Liberty Christian look like yesterday?

Liberty is playing in the James Taylor this week.

They have wins over Corsicana, Abilene, and Denton Ryan with two to play today.

They won the Southwest tourney with wins over Lynch, Faith, Southwest and Fort Worth Christian.

7-0 to start the season.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Liberty win the Denton Ryan tournament as well. Johnny Isom is a fantastic coach and runs one of the most successful small-school programs in the state of Texas. They are one of the class private school programs in the state year in and year out.
It's been an interesting season in TAPPS 5A Dist 1, although in the end there have been few surprises. TCA and Nolan have been the frontrunners all year, and now they are playing for all the marbles in the final district game Friday night in Fort Worth. TCA tagged Nolan for their lone district loss a couple of weeks ago 2-1 when Hursh pitched a complete game 3-hit gem and hit a home run in front of several pro scouts, giving Nolan's Cox (11-1-1) his only defeat this season despite only giving up four hits and 1 ER. Regardless the outcome, congratulations to both schools for playing some fine team baseball this year with some outstanding individual performances.
quote:
Originally posted by gametimer:
Pretty sad state of affairs when the #6 seed from your district gets the easiest draw of all of them. That being said, they still had to do it on the field. Congrats to TCA and JPII for moving on.

Agreed, the Houston schools are a tough draw for the 2, 3 and 5 seeds - that is why winning district is huge for a comfortable path to the state semi-finals.
quote:

Congrats to Houston Christian for 9-6 victory over Trinity Christian. TCA's Jason Hursh just didn't have his normal control, even though he was still hitting 93-94 on the guns of the 10 or so pro scouts in attendance. Great season for TCA to get to the semi's.

Congrats to Houston St. Thomas for it's thrilling 2-1 victory over rival Houston St. Pius X. A two-out bases loaded hit batsman brought in the winning run in the bottom of the 7th. The Pius pitcher (heck the entire team) deserved a better finish, but his misplay of a grounder in that inning kept St. Thomas alive.

On a sour note, I was amazed by the unsportsmanlike conduct by Pius after the game in cussing out one of the field umps. It started after the game concluded with one of the Pius coaches yelling at the umpire before the traditional post-game handshake. It escalated with numerous Pius players joining in and cursing out the umpire to his face. It was an ugly scene, and thankfully the other umpires ushered the ump off the field before it could get physical. Strange thing is that the field ump wasn’t involved in the last call, and there didn't seem to be any reason for Pius to have targeted him in such a manner.

I wonder how TAPPS will handle Pius’ punishment? I suspect it will have to play out in the 2011 season, maybe even with post-season banishment.

Was anyone else at the game and have any insights? Even this old-timer was turning red from the blue language coming out of the mouths of the Pius players.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.