Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Catholic- most definetly will be led by Seniors Zach Haney, Garrett Parker, and Billy Martin
Haney throws strikes, gets ahead of hitters, and hits hit spots well. Garrett is a solid infielder and tough out. Billy throws the ball pretty hard with a nice curveball and has the sideburns developed into an art.

GCA- Always the perrenial favorite. A lot of talent there. Nachion Moore, Chase Townsend, Richie Mangus, Barham, Bobby Ryan, and other.

NSA- Keeling, Rock, Harrell, Bo "Gamenerd" Garner, Cooper

NA- Not extremely deep, but have guys that can play. W&M signee Aaron Hurwitz should anchor the pitching staff, infield, and will be a major bat in the middle of the lineup. Greg Amorosso should be a solid #2 starter as an freshman. 3 sport star Randall Crutchfield will also provide a power bat in the lineup and dependable defense in the field.

Others feel free to add.
Last edited {1}
Norfolk Academy also has Juniors Randall Crutchfield and Eric Anderson with experience. Freshman Amorroso, in his 2nd year on varsity, should also be able to contribute good innings.

Thursday - Kempsville 8 NA 4
Norfolk Academy pitchers were not very accurate from the mound, giving up probably at least 10 walks. The bats were descent after only 3 days of practice, being led by Jr. Evan Karp's 2 run homerun. Kempsville's defense was good and Hewitt, Ramirez, and Honeycutt were strong on the mound.
To comment on Ek6 . yeah Na held their own for only having 3 practices but i would have to say if the kempsville squad got more strikes to swing at they would have put runs up ( i know its only a scrimmage) . Na- jr. evan karp did go 2-2 with a shot that shocked kville. kville- honeycutt went 2-2 with solid pieces of hitting. Haywood went 2-2 with 3 rbi's. one of them being a double applaude. Now if Na keeps giving those big guys (haywood) extra bases its goin to be a long season for them. All in all it was basically what i expected out of the scrimmage. In my opinon to all beach teams DONT TAKE KVILLE LIGHTLY!
The Virginia independent schools baseball association decided this past summer that because of the number of private schools playing baseball has grown dramatically in the last 5 years that they would follow enrollment quidelines for state championships based on enrollment 9 thru 12 similar to public schools in A,AA, and AAA. GCA has always played baseball in the largest enrollment division. We are the only team to do that at our school and I would personally like to continue but that is no longer possible under the new state quidelines. We have no choice but to play in the division assigned based on our school enrollment. on the positive side we still are in the TCIS and will play NA, Cape Henry, Bishop Sullivan, Nansemond Suffolk, and Hampton Rds all in the upper division of enrollment. We leave tomorrow for the Fla. Keys for a mission trip/ baseball trip and have put together the toughest schedule since I have been at the school. a DH with baseball America preseason ranked Rose, N.C. Last years 4A state champs and preseason number 1 this year and Ragsdasle high, N.C. preseason ranked 4in the state. We are also looking forward to The Hawaiian Tropic tournament in Myrtle Beach over spring break. 6 games in 5 days should be a real test of any team. The TCIS has become more competitive each year and I expect this year to be no different. The conference champ will be decided on the playing field and probably not before the last week of conference play. Good luck to all the teams, coaches, and players in "04"
Mondays scrimmage with Marathon H.S.,Fla. GCA won this 7 inning scrimage 10-2. Casey Powels threw 3 scoreless innings followed by Billy Colburn who threw 2 scoreless without giving up a hit. Richie Mangus came in to finish the last 2 and experienced some control problems before settling down and finishing strong. Offense came out hitting with Joe Agreste, Nachion Mooore, Chase Townsend, and Kelly West having big days. Townsend went 4 for 5 with a HR, Triple and 2 singles. Agreste had a pair of hits, Moore had 3 hits including a triple in the 5th. Kelly West also tripled in the 5th as Townsend, Moore, and West hit back to back to back triples in that inning. In Tuesday's game against Jesuit of Miami GCA won 7-0 with West, Colburn, Agreste and Townsend pitching 7 scoreless. Offense was led by a pair of HRs By Agreste to opposite field and Townsend's second in 2 days to straight away center. GCA will finish Friday with a scrimmage against Coral Gables HS. The weather is awesome for baseball. Wish we were there.
That is good for Notre Dame, but let's keep them in perspective, they are a "prep" school that has somewhere around 4-6 kids that are in their 5th year of high school athletics, meaning they should already be in their 1st year of college, so they do have an advantage over legit public/private schools that are just 4 years of high school athletics. They need to be compared to other "prep" schools, the Washington Post will not rank 5th years schools and will not recognize 5th year players for All-Met.
Last edited by Metro

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.