Nansemond Suffolk Academy
Bishop Sullivan Catholic
Norfolk Academy
Norfolk Collegiate
Walsingham Academy
Norfolk Christian
Hampton Roads Academy
Peninsula Catholic

GCA = 2007 Regular Season Champions (Div II State Champions)
Cape Henry = 2007 Conference Tournament Champion(Div I State Quarterfinalists)
Nansemond Suffolk = (Div I State Quarterfinalists)

College Bound Seniors in the TCIS Class of 2008:

Phillip Clark (Norfolk Collegiate) = ECU
Matt Davenport (NSA) = William and Mary
George Schaefer(Bishop Sull.)= Catholic University
Garrison Sarrett (Hampton Roads) = William and Mary
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

it seems as though greenbriar is the obvious favorite once again despite losing in the final last year, they did lose alot of pitching but im sure Lavelle will just reload for this year. AS for the rest it seems pretty wide open, defending champion Cape Henry lost almost all their pitching from last year and should be a farely young team. Norfolk Collegite is returning most of their team from last year and with argueably the best player in the tcis philip clark they should be good. Catholic is normally very solid. Norfolk Academy should be pretty young after losing a lot of seniors. NSA will probobly be the team to challenge greenbriar this year as they should be very good with some returners. Besides the players mentioned above is there anyone else to look for since most of the stars it seemed graduated last year?
Nansemond Suffolk is the team to knock off Greenbriar this year. However, nothing is certain, from what I have heard a few Atlantic Shores players transferred there this year and once again aide in the re-loading process, but, Lavelle has built a very legit and credible program.

Apart from the few named earlier, Norfolk Academy has a solid pitcher returning in John Beasley, but with the teams lack of experience It will be tough for him to do well. Also, Cape Henry returns an all-conference catcher who hits well, but I can't remember his name right now.

If I had to pick the teams now they would go:

1)Greenbriar Christian (always the team to beat, unsure who their pitching ace will be)
2)Nansemond Suffolk (returns a number of starters and good hitters)
3/4)Norfolk Collegiate (very well coached but questionnable pitching depth)
3/4)Bishop Sullivan Catholic (returns top position players *RHP,SS,2B* but lacks depth)
5)Norfolk Academy (young and shaky but well coached)
6)Hampton Roads Academy (anchored by G. Sarrett, RHP going to W&M)
7)Cape Henry Collegaite (depleted but history of success)
8)Norfolk Christian
9)Walsingham Academy
10)Peninsula Catholic
quote:
Originally posted by VABaseball321:
Nansemond Suffolk is the team to knock off Greenbriar this year. However, nothing is certain, from what I have heard a few Atlantic Shores players transferred there this year and once again aide in the re-loading process, but, Lavelle has built a very legit and credible program.

Apart from the few named earlier, Norfolk Academy has a solid pitcher returning in John Beasley, but with the teams lack of experience It will be tough for him to do well. Also, Cape Henry returns an all-conference catcher who hits well, but I can't remember his name right now.

If I had to pick the teams now they would go:

1)Greenbriar Christian (always the team to beat, unsure who their pitching ace will be)
2)Nansemond Suffolk (returns a number of starters and good hitters)
3/4)Norfolk Collegiate (very well coached but questionnable pitching depth)
3/4)Bishop Sullivan Catholic (returns top position players *RHP,SS,2B* but lacks depth)
5)Norfolk Academy (young and shaky but well coached)
6)Hampton Roads Academy (anchored by G. Sarrett, RHP going to W&M)
7)Cape Henry Collegaite (depleted but history of success)
8)Norfolk Christian
9)Walsingham Academy
10)Peninsula Catholic

The All-Conference catcher at Cape Henry is probably Tyler Faubert...excellent hitter based on what I saw last summer
You know we have mentioned Faubert from Cape Henry as well as Mitchell from GCA, both of whom are good hitters and solid catchers, but I actually forgot to list Bishop Sullivan's Sophomore and returning starter John Leidig(not sure about the spelling).

The sophomore is a switch hitting catcher and from what I've heard from the BSCHS group, he's already taken one out in their first scrimmage and is looking to do some serious damage this year and to make an impact for the young Crusaders. This C/1B/RHP from Bishop Sullivan and the class of 2010 should be on our radar screens for the next few years.
For what I know of the TCIS, Greenbrier's catcher Mitchell is the real deal as far as hitting goes and Faubert is up there as well, but they both are in the shadow of Phillip Clark from NOCO. PC can simply mash...as far as pitching is concerned, John Beasley has the talent to be in the top of anyone's rotation, just a matter of him having confidence in his defense (which can be shaky at times) all in all with Cape Henry down from the last year, the pitching suspect for GCA (still real solid however) and both NSA and NA losing seniors, the TCIS is up in the air
quote:
Anything action thursday? Any upcoming action this weekend?
Bishop Sullivan played Clearfield (PA) and won 11-10.
Bishop Sullivan is a young team with only 4 seniors. Matt Flanagan, Curtis Barger, George Schaefer and Matt Hein. The host of younger talent has stepped up their level of play. James Duval(9th) and Brandon Valentine(10th) along with the before mentioned John Leidig(10th) have had great success producing clutch hits. Sean Watson(11th) a 6'4" pitcher and 1st has developed well and too has shown a strong explosive bat in the line up.
Do not let the earlier scores fool you. The team has been plagued with costly errors behind strong pitching by Shaefer and Watson. Coach Guy Hyatt has constantly fielded a group of determined ball players. The tournament should and will be Bishop Sullivans proving grounds.
Last edited by baseball fever
quote:
Norfolk Collegiate lost to Clearfield(PA) 10-0. Bishop Sullivan lost to Flint Hill, but the boxscore shows them up 3-2 through 3 innings. NA beat NSA with what seems to be a great outing from Beasley.
George Schaefer pitched excellent in the early innings. He absolutely man handled Flint Hill's top hitters by either producing ground balls or "K's"
Unfortunately, his defense was not there and broke down causing numerous errors(9) off of routine hits. The Crusaders collected 10 hits, which were more then Flint Hill, but were unable to put all those hits together to produce runs. This was an impressive pitching performances by Schaefer, against a strong hitting team
Last edited by baseball fever
To my knowledge, every pitcher from last years team was a senior. The major contributors to the offense aside from Faubert were also seniors. That is a lot to lose. As of the end of the season last year, the best arm on the team belonged to the catcher, Faubert, who I think really wanted to pitch instead of catch two 90 MPH fastballers! As Lacrosse is the **** spring sport at Cape Henry, I am surprised the got 9 players to come out.
Saipanwarrior,
With so many talented players at Alliance, it's tough to single just a few out. They have 8 seniors that are all contributers from last years state runner up team. Mix in a junior and a couple of freshmen and it's a very talented bunch. They do have three All State players from last year that are starting the year hot. Cory Nelson (P/1B Sr) that has signed with Shenandoah, Martin Teig (P/1B Sr) that is going to play at Hampden-Sydney and Joe Riggs (3B/P Jr.) who I hope gets to play somewhere (LOL). Alliance also has an outstanding CF, Taylor Millanazzo (Sr.) who is also signed to play at Shenandoah. They should have a few more players sign to play college ball before the season ends or early summer....Pat Stafford (C Sr.) and Hunter Nicholson (SS Sr.). Like I said, they play solid as a team and complement each other nicely on the field. Solid fundementals all the way around and a joy to watch. They are a very humble and class group.
Well, Cheap, it is to my knowledge and not anyone else's. I do not have perfect recall, and don't want to state something as a fact that is not.I am not beating around the bush, whatever you mean to imply with that remark.Is it that irritating to you that complaining about me is the only thing you care to post about?
Saipan- Foubert was a very good athlete when I saw him. Young, innexperianced, and just about overmatched by Morey and Levitt. A very good contact hitter with some power. Very strong arm, with a tendency towards being a little "lax" behind the plate. Could pitch some, but you can imagine did not pitch much last year. Have no idea how he has progressed this year, but I believe he is worth a looksee!
quote:
The VaPilot has shown a few tough losses for Cape Henry. Any thoughts on their early season stumble? Is their any pitching after Morey and Levitt from last year?

No real mystery as to what is going on with Cape Henry this year. As others have stated, six members of the starting team graduated last year - including all of the pitching. The returning starters from last year include one senior, one junior, one sophomore and a freshman who started part time. Obviously, the team is very young but there is some solid talent there. Faubert is a very athletic catcher with an excellent arm and bat. Four to five freshmen start and normally one of them is pitching (freshmen pitchers have started each of the five games Cape Henry has played this year). The team is capable of some good outings - see Norview and Alliance Christian - but for now the pitching is likely to be inconsistent.
Yes, although I haven't seen CHC play this year, everyone knew they were going to be young. Last year solodified their "respect" points however the paper got it right when they were picked 6th(maybe 5th?). I wish their team the best and as the conference play begins, with 2-3 games max a week the pitching might come around with the limited innings that will be played. It seems as if they were a bit over the top in the scheduling. They have played a lot of games thus far and the boxscores show their lack of depth. Apart from CHC, Greenbriar is playing well. Havent heard much about NSA. Although I was confused about their game against Benedictine. The paper reported a loss but I heard they won? NA is playing well. No sure about their depth though. Bishop Sullivan looks to be turning it around, with the seniors playing well. Nofolk Collegiate has dropped a few and once again like CHC is seeing their thin pitching depth feeling the heat. Anyone want to fill us in on other news?
quote:
Originally posted by impartialbut:
Saipan- Foubert was a very good athlete when I saw him. Young, innexperianced, and just about overmatched by Morey and Levitt. A very good contact hitter with some power. Very strong arm, with a tendency towards being a little "lax" behind the plate. Could pitch some, but you can imagine did not pitch much last year. Have no idea how he has progressed this year, but I believe he is worth a looksee!

Last year, when I saw him, he threw 2.2's to 2B and was overmatched behind the plate. I don't recall seeing him block a pitch or make an effort to do so.
quote:
Originally posted by P4R:
since i no longer live in the tidewater area someone needs to keep me updated in the TCIS...hows it lookin?

A big upset in the TCIS this evening. Cape Henry beat Greenbrier Christian 2-1. Michael Krohl (a freshman) pitched a great game for Cape Henry allowing 1 run over 5 innings. Tyler Ballard (another freshman) got the save pitching 2 innings of scoreless relief. Tyler Faubert's 2-out single in the 2nd inning drove in Cape Henry's only runs. Currently 4 teams are tied for 1st place in the conference, all with one loss - GC, CHCS, NA, NSA.
quote:
Last year, when I saw him, he threw 2.2's to 2B and was overmatched behind the plate. I don't recall seeing him block a pitch or make an effort to do so

Faubert's time has dropped since last year, he has also worked harder this year than he has in the past but still shows that he can be "lax" at points. His hitting has also shown to be very good. Also Whited has show much improvement since last year. From what I have seen his hitting has been outstanding leading the team in homeruns and RBIs. The team at Cape Henry has shown to be a bit inconsistent at times but can compete with the best of them.
Who are the top returning private School players in the Hampton Roads area for next year?

If you would rather respond anonymously, send a reply to williamgarlick@yahoo.com

I need the name, position, school, and class. I'll start it off with the only one I'm familiar with.

1. Isaac Ballou P Nansemond Suffolk Academy 2009

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.