Skip to main content

To the experts ...

Does the team's record affect the draftability of a player?

I ask this because friends and relatives have asked me about whether the "very slow start" (euphamism for lousy record to date) of our son's college team will impact him in June. Personally, I don't think it has too much impact as long as he performs well during the season.

Just wanted to know what the scouts and agents who come here think.

Thanks.

Go Highlanders
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Highlandermom:
To the experts ...

Does the team's record affect the draftability of a player?

I ask this because friends and relatives have asked me about whether the "very slow start" (euphamism for lousy record to date) of our son's college team will impact him in June. Personally, I don't think it has too much impact as long as he performs well during the season.

Just wanted to know what the scouts and agents who come here think.

Thanks.

_Go Highlanders_http://www.my-smileys.de/smileys_1/yourock.gif

No need for you to worry HMom. In general, if there's a player out there, he'll turn up sooner or later regardless of where he plays or how bad the team he's on. Many #1 picks have come from terrible teams. I had a client who is a Pitcher that was a #1 out of HS with a losing record because of his team.
Last edited {1}
Mary Ann,

Talking with several of my scout buddies over the years, the team's condition or performance makes no difference to them whatsoever. They look for "players" no matter where they play or who they play for. Afterall they are drafting individuals not teams.

Not to worry, AJ is right where he needs to be, he'll get his shot. Just tell him to stay within himself especially while his team is struggling, kids tend to try to overdo it when their teammates are having a tough time.

Frank

www.leaguelineup.com/sdprospects
I watched three pitchers get drafted over a two year period from our Ivy school which had the worst records of all of the conference, and the pitcher who signed in the third round with an over $450,000 bonus I'm pretty sure didn't have a winning record, (his pitching was great - the team didn't get the job done). The scouts knew these guys were excellent players - and nothing else seemed to matter.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.