..Cleary, Jack So-RS
..Padula, Brandon Jr-RS
P Beck, Sander Jr (Con-SP)
P Fullerton, Matt Jr
..Rodriguez, Alfredo Sr
P Harman, Brett SR (Con-SP)
P Potter, Eric SR (Con-SP)
Last edited by Bear
FYI, this is not unusual when you see a coaching change. At Wake Forest, which changed coaches at the same time (over the summer of 2009), this is also the new coaches' first incoming class. There are 16 freshmen and 2 JuCo transfers coming in. Players were told all last season that they were being evaluated at all times and that no one was guaranteed anything. Some got bad news when the season ended. Others decided to move on over the summer. Some came back to school but not to the team. Some are still coming out this fall, forewarned they may not make the spring roster.

We have more on the fall roster than we can carry into spring. We'll see how it ends up. We may have a redshirt here and there. But I think a few of the current walk-ons could find themselves off the team in a few months.

I'm sure Coach Bakich is in the same place. The last guy didn't win and he got fired. The new coach cannot miss that fact. He's going to do what he feels he has to do to win.

I know Maryland had some kids from last year's incoming class who left even before school started last year, and some transfers at that time, too. They were short handed last spring. So to the extent they have a few more newbies coming in than Wake, that is understandable, too.

Frankly I see lots of programs with 13-15 new recruits annually, even without coaching changes. So this doesn't strike me as out of the ordinary for the circumstances. It does point out that kids need to realize that signing that first NLI doesn't mean they've arrived. It means they got hired for a very difficult job. If they do well, great. If they don't, life often disappoints.
quote:
Originally posted by Midlo Dad:
FYI,
....At Wake Forest, which changed coaches at the same time (over the summer of 2009),
There are 16 freshmen and 2 JuCo transfers coming in.

The last guy didn't win and he got fired.
... He's going to do what he feels he has to do to win.

Interesting how a VA and WF fan, wants to hijack this Maryland thread.

In the history of the Terp Baseball Program, the ball club has never seen the release of 13-15 returnees at the same time. The most I have witnessed at anyone time is five. I am thinking in 2000. I personnally knew the families of both players getting released and helped find a college to transfer.

The issue here is the bs new NCAA rule penalizing the released student-athlete who loses a year of eligeability.

Let's just say I would not want to wish this on any family.
Nothing unusual when a new coach resumes leadership of a college baseball team in the ACC. Employment is dependent upon: 1) winning, 2) avoidance of bad publicity, and 3) players remaining in good academic standing. The University of Maryland deserves a first-rate baseball program and drastic change is required both in culture and quality of players. The Coach should be commended for making bold moves to reposition the program. With only 12 scholorships available. there are no "free passes" with just meeting expectations. The no-nonsense approach will ultimately improve the University's abilty to attract talent nation-wide which is what is requried to compete at the highest level in College baseball.
Tough situation -- but if the kids want to play they are better off going to a new environment -- even if they need to sit for a year....... The article below does prove that College baseball Coaches do have compassion ---- FYI

White: Silverstein Sees Payoff Coming for Perseverance
Courtesy: VirginiaSports.com
Release: 07/07/2010

Courtesy: VirginiaSports.com

Scott Silverstein

By Jeff White
jwhite@virginia.edu

CHARLOTTESVILLE -- In the spring of 2008, it was a fair question. Which UVa baseball recruit was the better prospect: St. Albans ace Danny Hultzen or another left-handed pitcher from a D.C. private school, his friend Scott Silverstein?

Many scouts gave the edge to Silverstein, a St. John's College High senior whose fastball traveled 90-plus miles per hour and who, at 6-6, 230 pounds, was an unnerving sight for batters.

"Scott, after his junior year, was throwing harder than Danny and would wow you a little bit more with his stuff," UVa coach Brian O'Connor recalled.

"Now, Danny continued developing through his senior year, but at the time when they both decided to come to Virginia, Scott's stuff was better."

Hultzen's feats as a Cavalier have been well-chronicled. In 2009, he was the ACC freshman of the year and helped UVa advance to the College World Series for the first time in school history. As a sophomore, he was named ACC pitcher of the year and helped the Wahoos win a school-record 51 games and reach an NCAA super regional.

And Silverstein?

His promise remains unfulfilled, through no fault of his own.

Since the end of his senior season at St. John's, he's had two operations to repair a torn labrum in his left shoulder. He has yet to pitch for Virginia. He's appeared in a total of 19 games -- all in 2009 -- as a first baseman, designated hitter or pinch hitter. He had to redshirt this season.

And still Silverstein perseveres. The pain in his shoulder is at last gone, his arm is getting stronger, and he remains convinced that the day is coming when he and his roommate Hultzen, who played together in the Bethesda-Chevy Chase youth program, will again be part of the same pitching rotation.

"I'm getting close," Silverstein said a smile.

O'Connor said: "Scott's very determined. He's a very motivated guy. He remembers back when he pitched, and he was very, very successful."

As a schoolboy, Silverstein had scholarship offers from some 200 colleges, said his father, Steve. Before his injury, Silverstein was projected to be an early-round pick in the 2008 major-league draft.

"Going into his senior year," O'Connor said, "I would say that he was probably one of the top five or 10 left-handed [high school] pitchers in the country."

Early in his senior season, however, Silverstein experienced sharp pain in his throwing shoulder, and the direction of his career changed. He wasn't allowed to pitch that spring, though he played in the field and batted for St. John's. The Washington Nationals drafted him in the 32nd round, but the injury had damaged his stock. On June 11, 2008, Dr. Ben Shaffer operated on Silverstein's shoulder.

The diagnosis was a tear of the superior labrum, anterior to posterior. Shaffer, then the Nationals' team physician, trained under renowned orthopedic surgeon James Andrews and "has a great reputation," Steve Silverstein said.

Sometimes, though, that operation "just doesn't take," Silverstein's father said, and that's apparently what happened in this case.

"I had the surgery, and then I didn't throw for four or five months," Silverstein recalled. "And then I pick up a ball, and it still doesn't feel right. I throw for a couple weeks, and I'm not progressing at all."

Silverstein's medical team at UVa includes athletic trainer Brian McGuire and Dr. Eric Carson, an orthopedic surgeon who works closely with the baseball program.

"There were a couple points when I was frustrated, as was Scott," McGuire said this week. "You kind of have a timetable in your mind. I wouldn't say he was moving backwards; he was just kind of stagnant."

The Cavaliers' 2009 season was under way, and Silverstein was no closer to returning to the mound. A cortisone shot helped, but the relief was short-lived.

"I was throwing and I felt good -- I was playing catch and starting to progress -- and then all of the sudden it stopped feeling good and started going back to the way it was," said Silverstein, who grew up in Brookeville, Md.

Nearly a year had passed since the first operation, and his recovery had stalled. So Silverstein and his father flew to Birmingham, Ala., to meet with Andrews, who in 1972 had studied sports medicine at UVa under Dr. Frank McCue.

Andrews gave Silverstein another cortisone shot and prescribed six weeks of rest.

"This was a couple days off we got home from" the College World Series in 2009, Silverstein recalled. "So I spent all summer here, rehabbing, not throwing, just trying to get stronger and stretch a little bit, make it more flexible.

"Then I started throwing again right before school starts. It feels a lot better this time, and I get to the point where I'm actually pitching in [intrasquad games], and I threw an inning, and it felt great, on a Friday.

"A week later, I throw again, and it's a little less good. And the week after that, I tried to pitch again, and I couldn't, and that's when I knew I needed to have [a second surgery]."

A week later, on Oct. 9, 2009, Andrews operated on Silverstein in Alabama.

"He's the real deal," Silverstein said of the legendary surgeon whose patients include Roger Clemens, Peyton Manning, Drew Bees, Bo Jackson and Troy Aikman.

That said, Silverstein doesn't blame Shaffer for the problems that followed the first operation. "I just think it was a freak thing," Silverstein said. "It just didn't heal."

The realization that he would have to embark on another grueling rehabilitation program -- as well as miss the Cavaliers' 2010 season -- shook Silverstein and those around him.

"He was devastated, as were we all," McGuire said. "But he handled it as well as anybody could."

The pain and sweat and frustration that come with a second lengthy rehab might overwhelm some players. Silverstein never considered quitting.

"I don't like it when people ask me if I'm still playing, if I'm still trying to play, because it's what I want to do," Silverstein said. "I wouldn't have gone through the first one if I wasn't willing to put in the work.

"I'm just thankful I had the opportunity. People keep giving me opportunities to do this stuff. I don't care how long it takes."

After the first operation, Silverstein's left arm stayed in a sling for about four weeks. The sling stayed on this time for "six weeks," he said, "just because it was a revision."

Andrews had him wait longer, too, to begin throwing again, Silverstein said, "which probably made a big difference, because I don't think I was quite strong enough [the first time]."

Strength hasn't been a problem this time. Silverstein has had no problems, in fact.

"It's night and day," said Karl Kuhn, Virginia's pitching coach.

"It's 100 percent different," Silverstein said. "It's not comparable to last time. Even stretching on the table, it's not even comparable to last time. I'm full strength, with full range of motion."

Silverstein, who's working on UVa's sports turf maintenance crew this summer, goes through rehab sessions with McGuire about three times a week. For most of the past two years, they've met more often that, and McGuire, like Kuhn, sees a dramatic difference in Silverstein.

"First and foremost, he doesn't have pain when he throws," McGuire said. "He has normal range of motion and stability in the shoulder."

When he started throwing again in April, in sessions with Kuhn, Silverstein was tentative.

"You're so used to having it hurt," Silverstein said. "All of the sudden now it doesn't hurt, and you don't want to throw, because you're afraid it's going to hurt. So it's hard to sort of let it go."

That phase passed quickly. In long toss, he began at 40 feet and progressed back to 120, and "then started adding more throws," Silverstein said.

His father said: "There's never been pain, there's never been inflammation [this time] ... I firmly believe -- and Andrews has told me this -- he's fully healed."

Silverstein has not pitched off the mound to a batter since his second surgery, but he hopes to clear that hurdle next month "and hopefully be ready for fall ball," he said.

His dream, of course, is to pitch for the 'Hoos in 2011, and O'Connor would love to have an effective Scott Silverstein in the rotation. But the Cavaliers' skipper, who was a star pitcher at Creighton, is proceeding cautiously.

"All the signs that we see at this point are positive," O'Connor said, "but Scott has now had two major shoulder surgeries, and for a pitcher that's a lot to overcome."

O'Connor has seen other pitchers try to recover from torn labrums. Some made it back; some didn't. Silverstein's shoulder is healthy again, but there's no guarantee he'll be the dominant pitcher he was at St. John's.

"The tough thing in Scott's situation is that he hasn't pitched competitively for over two years," O'Connor said. "But I tell you, his attitude has been great all along. He continues to work at it, he's a wonderful teammate, and I believe there will come a day when he'll be able to help our team."

Steve Silverstein remembers an evening in Charlottesville last winter when he was sitting in his car, waiting for the team's workouts to end so he could take his son and Hultzen out to dinner.

"It was dark outside, and there was a knock on the window," the elder Silverstein said. "It was Coach O'Connor, and he told me to come out of the car. I came out, and he said to me, 'Steve, I just want to let you know that you and Scott have nothing to worry about here at the University of Virginia. I am standing 100 percent behind your son, and he's going to be OK, and everything's going to work out.'

"And he gave me a hug. That says a lot about O'Connor to a father who's wondering if his kid is going to still be on scholarship. Are they going to stand behind him? I can't tell you what that meant to me.

"If Scott comes back all the way, it would be a hell of a story. But it reflects not only on him, but on the program."

The best-case scenario has Silverstein returning to the mound next season and showing the stuff that dazzled pro scouts in 2007. But even if there's an opportunity for Silverstein to sign a lucrative pro contract next year, he'll be back at UVa in 2012, his father says.

"It's time for him to give back to the University, give back for what they've done for him the last two years," Steve Silverstein said. "And that's an important concept that we learned from UVa and will be returned to UVa in the future."

As a St. John's star, Silverstein seriously considered such schools as Stanford, Rice and Vanderbilt before choosing UVa. He felt a special connection with the Virginia players and coaches, who Silverstein told his father were "good people." Time has proven his son correct, the elder Silverstein believes.

"He could have gone anywhere," Steve Silverstein said. "Thank God he went there."
Bear,

Not to defend Coach Bakich but a few things to add regarding players no longer with the team.

During discussions last year with our son (and me), he said he didn't know what he had for players going into 2009/10 and some would not be with the team in 2010/2011. I beleive he was hired late June of 2009 leaving him without the opportunity to evaluate the type of players he inherited.

Players that are no longer with team were told before Ms.Yow tendered her resignation.

Coaching staff helped to find schools for players that wanted to continue to play college baseball. I believe they do not lose a year under these circumstances.

I understand that coaches can be salespeople during recruiting but I have yet to find anything that he told us in a meeting over 12 months ago not to be as he presented it.
Last edited by nhmonty
Thanks for the clarification. This is a tuff situation for the players let go. I thought if you got a signed release from the school you could play but I was wrong.

What if they went to DII school. I heard about a kid who started at BC last fall but asked for his release and played this spring for DII school -does this make sense.

I don't know anything about the players coming back other than I think its between 12-15, probably more on the lower side.
Last edited by nhmonty
I think it's because of the new transfer rule that what the coaching staff did is especially lousy. This is all about trying for quick fix so that the new coach can make a quick name for himself then bolt for greener pastures. While I am sure that the 23 new guys are excited about starting school, many of whom taking the space left by others who were handed their walking papers, they at least have an idea what will likely happen to them if they have one or two off years, or if another new coach comes in down the road with the same mindset. Something about living by the sword comes to mind ....
Stew,

Consider the following:

You just got a new job, a big job. You inherit employees who in your opinion can't do their job. Their lack of ability/desire/attituude etc will cause your company and you to fail. So you are telling me you keep them?

You would keep them and put your family's financial security at risk and your future job prospects at risk? Sure its a hard decision to let go employees/players etc, but call me selfish, I am doing what I have to do to protect my family and future earning capabilites.

Yes these are college kids but its a job to coaches. And to be honest if the kid is getting money from the school its a job to him.

I reminded my son of this last week when I dropped him off at Maryland - he knows what will happen it he doesn't perform to the level the coach's expect. That's life.
nhmonty-I agree with you in principle, but I have one problem with it....

If the new boss cuts loose the 3-4 plumbers who are not performing, or the sales guy who is not selling, they call all of the other companies in their area and are free to go to work for any of them.

I don't think college athletes have that same opportunity....and, if I am right, then that changes the equation drastically.
Schwammi,

I agree with you but what should the coaches do?

As I see it the problem is with the NCAA. Would a reasonable solution be that if coaches want to release players, the player has the ability to transfer to another Dl school without waiting a year? If everyone ends up happy (the player, the coaches - new and old) why would the NCAA object?
Last edited by nhmonty
There is no easy answer....these kids are asked to invest heavily in the school via their education and sports, and then can be cast aside? There is so much more to the college equation than just the sport....friendships, dorm life, clubs, classes, etc.

1. The admin needs to give the coach a longer-term contract with a transition period
2. The NCAA needs to allow athletes a secondary option without penalizing them when #1 doesn't work

I agree...if it is mutually acceptable for a player to transfer due to a new coach, then there should be no penalty to the player.
Interesting.

Just got in the mail today.
Maybe I have some eligeability left!

Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 10:12 AM
Subject: Virginia Baseball

You have been identified by the University of Virginia Baseball program as one of the top players in your area in the 2011 graduating class. We hope that you are excited about playing baseball in college and that you take a minute to familiarize yourself with the University. The University of Virginia is universally recognized for its pursuit of excellence in both academics and athletics. We were recently rated in the top 25 universities in the country and for six of the last eight years we have been named the top public school in America.

The UVA baseball program is committed to achieving this success both in the classroom and on the playing field. As a Cavalier you have the rare opportunity to earn a top education while playing at college baseball’s highest level.

The UVA baseball program is committed to achieving success both in the classroom and on the playing field. Most recently, our program was highlighted by our trip to the College World Series in 2009. This was the highlight of our seven seasons at the University of Virginia which have also included an average of 45 wins per year, and an NCAA Regional appearance each season.

In 2005 our All-American Third Basemen Ryan Zimmerman was the fourth overall pick in the Major League Baseball draft and made his Major League debut two months later. Two years later, former Virginia infielder Mark Reynolds helped lead the Arizona Diamondbacks to the 2007 NLCS. In our seven seasons at Virginia, we have had 35 of our players taken in the MLB draft, two ACC players of the year in Joe Koshansky (2004) and Sean Doolittle (2006), nine freshmen All American and have consistently been ranked in the top 10.

We feel you have the potential to contribute to the success of the UVA baseball program. Please complete and return the attached information form.

It is our hope that your interest in the University of Virginia continues to grow. Please feel free to contact me or one of our assistant coaches at (434) 982-5092 if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
Brian O’Connor Head Baseball Coach

--------------------
For those interested in the attachment, send email and I will forward to you!
quote:
Originally posted by eaglebooster:
They have a pres!

For the record: In August their was NOT a Terp pres, acting or otherwise. A new pres has been announced yet and does not move in until November 1. Rumors were provost desired to 'act' in the position! Bottom line: You are wrong, kid!

'Presidents Office' national search for a permanent Terp AD is ongoing as former AD Yow hastily departed to NC St in June. Retiring Mote announced interim and is CFO!

Have you voted yet?
Last edited by Bear
schwammi: Copy.

nhmonty: For the record, transfers into Terpville as Soph / Jr's has not been advantageous to 'Program'

- Had difficulty adjusting on and off the field,
- Could not locate mandatory Study Hall
- Challenges in and out of classroom
- Trying to fit in was as challenging
- If drafted after HS, or JUCO were NOT drafted
as Jr sign
- All were successful locating Rt 1!

Your damm right, many are watching thru the looking glass!
Last edited by Bear
quote:
The issue here is the bs new NCAA rule penalizing the released student-athlete who loses a year of eligeability.

Let's just say I would not want to wish this on any family.

Definitely agree with this. And didn't mean to leave the impression I felt otherwise. All I was saying was, don't feel like this is something unique to Maryland or that the players there are being singled out. Unfortunately it is all too often par for the course.

I have said on this site many times before, and still feel, that the one-year sit out rule is a travesty. Particularly in a partial scholarship sport like baseball, where a player can suddenly find himself reduced or even zeroed out or released, to take away that kid's ability to pursue options elsewhere is just WRONG.

But as usual, the NCAA couldn't care less. They just drop bombs on innocents and then cover their ears.
With respect to the rule, I agree it is bad for the players in the context that we are discussing in this thread. However, you do have to look at it from the perspective of the NCAA and their attempt to curb coaches from recruiting and luring players from their current teams for promises of more playing time, scholarship money, etc. It is important to have some disincentive to keep coaches from trying to "steal" players and keep players loyal to the team of their initial commitment. In this context I think the 1 yr sit out rule is appropriate.

I think the solution is to keep the sit out rule but have a special provision for situations like what is happening at Maryland right now where players are being displaced by a large flux of recruits from a new coaching staff. It seems like it would be easy to manage such an exception to the rule.
MD,

I am sure the NCAA has its reasons for the rule, I need to find out more about this - to me the current rule lacks common sense.

As a counter to your point, the raiding of players should not be an issue if the "sit out" rule is NOT in play. A coach could go after a player but if the coach of the existing team doesn't sign a release its a mute point.

In the Maryland case, the released players could have gone to another D1 team if Bakich signed their release, and why wouldn't he if he didn't want the player on his team in the first place.

Everyone wins. Without the release there is no raiding.

This sounds too simple I know I am missing something.
Even if he signs the release they still have to sit out a year if they decide to go D1. And of course he is going to sign the release of players he has released.

I have a serious problem with releasing players "Cutting" for reasons outside of not doing what they were asked to do. These guys have invested a year to 3 years in a program and then they are cut because the coach wants to bring in a huge class.

The players coming in need to understand they could be standing in that same line as those just cut a year from now.

Players that come in , work hard , do what is asked of them , invest in the program - should not be cut. If they do not work hard , do not do what is asked of them , do not invest in the program then by all means cut them. But to simply Clean House because you want to start all over with your guys is a weak excuse imo.

Develop your players. Build a program. Bring your guys in to fill in for those that graduate , etc. What is going to stop him from doing the exact same thing next year he just did? Keep the ones that you like and toss the others aside year to year. I know it is done at the college level at some programs. That does not mean its right.
I dont think it is as simple as the math of those coming in and those getting cut. From what I understand last years fall roster was really thin via a lack of recruiting class. pitchers playing outfield so they could scrimage. Kids were taken from the club team and wasnt one a long snapper on football team. I bet they all contributed whether in the starting lineup or warnming up the left fielder.
obviously there were some guys who are gonna feel left out, but there were prob. a few who were happy to be there for even a year.

looking at the class between prep and JuCo and the few that came in last year, I feel he is staggering his classes so that he is recruiting 12-15 a year and getting 10-12 on campus.
quote:
I am sure the NCAA has its reasons for the rule, I need to find out more about this - to me the current rule lacks common sense.

The stated reason was low graduation rates among baseball players. A number of rules changes were adopted to try to turn that tide. Most of them were half baked. A number of people, notably then Ole Miss head coach Ron Polk, tried to explain the harm being done til they were blue in the face. The NCAA turned a deaf ear. Their minds were made up, and they did not wish to be confused with the facts. Now, the harm is starting to spread around.
ACC teams getting ready to roll

By Kendall Rogers, Yahoo! Sports

Maryland

Reasons for optimism: The Terrapins didn’t experience much success in coach Erik Bakich’s first season, but an infusion of more talent and another year in the system should lead to more success this spring. The Terps have some work to do at the plate after finishing last season with a .258 average, but have a solid foundation with the return of four of their top five hitters.
Reasons to worry: The Terps must improve in several areas this spring. They finished last season with a .961 fielding percentage, and must find a way to turn the tide. They also have plenty of work to do on the mound after finishing last season with a 7.19 ERA. It also doesn’t help the Terps have a few key relievers to replace and must replace ace pitcher Brett Harman, who will miss the season with Tommy John surgery. Bakich’s Terps didn’t impress in his first season, but will things be different in Year Two?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.