Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

TR that is funny. I think his fastball tops out at about 81. He would get himself or his infielders killed throwing that up there. Looked just fine to me throwing the knuckler. But alas, I don't work for Fox. Having a difficult time listening to McCarver. But I love Al Leiter. He is the man! Last night I think he said, "believe me folks when I say that getting hit in the catcher's mask hurts". Ya think? Although, I think McCarver caught when they didn't have catcher's masks and hockey goalies didn't have masks.
I have seen the knuckle ball fool the best of hitters and umpires and make the most skilled catcher look like a buffoon. But as it was stated before, if a knuckleball pitcher isnt on, it can be batting practice time.........

As an aside, I had the opportunity to meet Tim Wakefield when he was with the Pirates.... couple of things I got from his talk....he was not signed as a pitcher, but developed the knuckleball as a way to stay in professional baseball....and admitted that his "fast ball" at best was "very low 80's".....Pleasant guy, good speaker and has fashioned a decent big league career out of throwing "90 % Knuckleballs and 10 % prayers...........

I also find it hard to believe that McCarver was ever a big league catcher based on his rules knowledge.....last night he stated an infield fly was not called on Damon's bunt because it was not high enough........
Last edited by piaa_ump
How cool was it to see a knuckle ball thrower starting in the first game of the World Series. I mean ever since the radar gun became available to the average scout and college coach, speed and control have taken over the pitching game. I was afraid we would never see the likes of another Bill Lee or Phil Neikro again, (guys with amazing stuff, just relatively slow but unhittable pitchers). It brings so much more excitement to the game than just seeing a guy throw 91 mph to the four corners.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.