Skip to main content

@ARCEKU21 posted:

Eek, the Newsom color tier. Your post sounds like reading the articles about Disneyland being able to open. What will be tough to get going is that it seems like Newsome lumps everything into these tier requirements instead of handling businesses, activities, sports, etc on their own individual type scales.  I have talked to some friends back home (originally from NorCal) and they are not holding out much hope for a high school season based on the requirements of these tiers.  The desire to play somewhere is evident of the 27 teams coming from Cali this weekend for the PG tournament in the Houston area.

not to get too political, but I think the governor gets a bad rap. maybe the color tiers are cumbersome but there's no real way to handle this well.  maybe the spread is minimal within sports but it's still there. gatherings are gatherings and breathing is breathing.

I don't like the shutdowns any more than the next guy but I also don't think people understand that, had they strictly complied back when they were first implemented, we probably wouldn't have been in the situation we're in right now.  people just don't want to take personal responsibility for their actions.

@mattys posted:

not to get too political, but I think the governor gets a bad rap. maybe the color tiers are cumbersome but there's no real way to handle this well.  maybe the spread is minimal within sports but it's still there. gatherings are gatherings and breathing is breathing.

I don't like the shutdowns any more than the next guy but I also don't think people understand that, had they strictly complied back when they were first implemented, we probably wouldn't have been in the situation we're in right now.  people just don't want to take personal responsibility for their actions.

Flu is at a record low because people ARE wearing masks and social distancing.  Maybe, just maybe, California's approach isn't working and yet they keep extending the same old plan.  Meanwhile, Texas prepares for the 6A HS football championship at Texas Stadium on Saturday night after a 13 game season.  Hmmm....

In Washington the re-opening/return to play guidelines was updated a few weeks ago. The new guidance simplifies the metrics and also should make it easier to transition to new phases, which is good news in terms of actually having a HS baseball season this year. *fingers crossed*

I'm hearing rumors that WIAA (HS sports governing body) may move baseball and some other outdoor spring sports to season 2 (mid-March start) and push indoor sports out to May so they have a chance to actually play basketball, etc. My son has been practicing with his club team over the winter (had some very cold outdoor practices lately after they shut down indoor fitness in November), but we've never been outside for baseball this early so I think he's actually a bit ahead of where he'd typically be in January.

The AD just sent an email about the season. Should be BAU except the potential to cancel games if teams have positive players. The kids are really excited. I've watched most of them put in a ton of work at the gym and general baseball training. A lot of them have been working out and playing together and they seem to be more united than they were at this time last year.

I heard that NESCAC is less than 50% likely to play and there are at least 3 teams that will not play under any circumstance.  If the conference doesn't play even the teams that wanted to play will not be allowed to scrimmage.   I know there are NESCAC parents on this board who may know more.  I hope my info is wrong.  My son's college is business as usual but final conference plans for spring play won't be formally known for two weeks.  Every indication is that they will play although I could see one team in the conference opting out. 

Ugh, Palm Beach public schools have delayed their start by at least a week. TBPT jr is at a private and they are still scheduled to start practice Monday, but all the games against public’s in February were wiped off the schedule.

A bunch of parents have said they are going to have their kids play for an academy if the season is canceled.

Blows me away that they had hoops games and wrestling yesterday, but they are delaying baseball.

That sucks! Exactly why my son chose to skip his senior basketball season to work out and be ready for spring baseball.

The restrictions on baseball (2 tickets/player)  are absolutely asinine compared to the freedoms football had without any. How dies that affect scouts coming to games?

I'm so over the football bias in Texas.

@ARCEKU21 posted:

Saw the CIF put out their guidelines for high school baseball, if there is a season. Wow. Scratching my head on some of the guidelines.

Posted here for all to see.

The guidelines also include a new ban on playing HS and club at the same time, and a 3/13 start date if the local area is red.

The big problem with these guidelines is that fomites (i.e. objects and surfaces) are not a known vector for transmission. Especially outside, where wind and sun degrade the virus very quickly.

Baseball Guidelines & Covid-19 Modifications

General Guidelines

• Masks should be worn at all times by all individuals participating in the activity, even with heavy exertion as tolerated.

• Social distancing measures shall be in place at all times other than when engaged in competition.

Event Limitations

• Adhere to local county guidelines.

Pre-Game Conference

• Limit attendees to Head Coach of both teams and game umpires.

• Participants must maintain social distancing protocols during the conference.

• No line-up card exchange.

• No handshakes.

Team Dugouts

• Coaches, game personnel and players only permitted in the dugout.

• Social distance requirements must be observed by all in the dugout.

• If the dugout area is not large enough to provide for social distance requirements, players and game personnel may move outside of the immediate dugout area to practice social distance requirements.

• Spectators shall not be permitted near the dugouts and/or the immediate area of the dugout.

Post-Game Procedures

Replace handshakes after the game with a social distance acknowledgment of the team’s choosing.

Official Scorekeeping Area

Limited to one (1) person from each team and must observe social distance requirements behind the backstop.

Equipment Sanitation

• Each team provides sanitized balls (bucket) while on defense.

• Have a “dirty” ball bucket available, so they can be sanitized after the game.

• Sanitize bases after each game.

Equipment & Accessories

• Permissible face coverings are required to be worn at all times by all attendees present other than when engaged in competition.

• Players shall utilize their own equipment bin for all personal gear in the dugout.

• Minimize the sharing of playing equipment (bats, batting helmets and catchers gear). Equipment

must be sanitized between usage of multiple players.

• Batting gloves are encouraged to minimize contact with bats, balls and bases.

• Sanitize all equipment and accessories after each game.

Water Bottles & Hydration Stations

• Team members shall not share water bottles.

• Hydration stations may be utilized but shall be touched only by a single appointed monitor.

Umpires

• No line-up card exchanges.

• Observe social distance requirements when communicating with coaches, players and  other umpires.

• Face coverings are required at all times.

• Carry hand sanitizer and use frequently.

Game Personnel Considerations (coaches, players, umpires)

• No sunflower seeds, spitting or gum.

• If a pitcher puts his/her hands to their mouth and touches the ball, “TIME” is called, the pitcher must

sanitize their hands and a new ball is inserted before throwing the next pitch.

Regional Championships

• All games played at host school sites.

• Championships shall be single elimination.

• No pre-game player introduction assemblies on the foul lines.

• Awards ceremonies will be limited to ensure safe social distancing and to minimize mass gatherings.

Uniforms

Long sleeves are encouraged to reduce skin contact with the ball and bases.

Last edited by DD 2024
@Eokerholm posted:

That sucks! Exactly why my son chose to skip his senior basketball season to work out and be ready for spring baseball.

The restrictions on baseball (2 tickets/player)  are absolutely asinine compared to the freedoms football had without any. How dies that affect scouts coming to games?

If you are talking pro scouts, this is when an advisor can help.  He will likely know who is coming. You could at least try to grab tickets from parents not attending to let them in.    I'd take lots of video that an advisor can pass on or that you can upload to the main MLB questionnaire site.  They added it last year, but there were still restrictions on when the video was done.  You can also create a youtube page that you post game video to and have the advisor pass on the link that you will update through out the season.  I know you don't like PBR, but if you are thinking he is a prospect, I would get an invite to the Super 60 (next weekend I believe).  There were hundreds of scouts there.

@DD 2024 posted:

Posted here for all to see.

The guidelines also include a new ban on playing HS and club at the same time, and a 3/13 start date if the local area is red.

The big problem with these guidelines is that fomites (i.e. objects and surfaces) are not a known vector for transmission. Especially outside, where wind and sun degrade the virus very quickly.

Baseball Guidelines & Covid-19 Modifications

General Guidelines

• Masks should be worn at all times by all individuals participating in the activity, even with heavy exertion as tolerated.

• Social distancing measures shall be in place at all times other than when engaged in competition.

Event Limitations

• Adhere to local county guidelines.

Pre-Game Conference

• Limit attendees to Head Coach of both teams and game umpires.

• Participants must maintain social distancing protocols during the conference.

• No line-up card exchange.

• No handshakes.

Team Dugouts

• Coaches, game personnel and players only permitted in the dugout.

• Social distance requirements must be observed by all in the dugout.

• If the dugout area is not large enough to provide for social distance requirements, players and game personnel may move outside of the immediate dugout area to practice social distance requirements.

• Spectators shall not be permitted near the dugouts and/or the immediate area of the dugout.

Post-Game Procedures

Replace handshakes after the game with a social distance acknowledgment of the team’s choosing.

Official Scorekeeping Area

Limited to one (1) person from each team and must observe social distance requirements behind the backstop.

Equipment Sanitation

• Each team provides sanitized balls (bucket) while on defense.

• Have a “dirty” ball bucket available, so they can be sanitized after the game.

• Sanitize bases after each game.

Equipment & Accessories

• Permissible face coverings are required to be worn at all times by all attendees present other than when engaged in competition.

• Players shall utilize their own equipment bin for all personal gear in the dugout.

• Minimize the sharing of playing equipment (bats, batting helmets and catchers gear). Equipment

must be sanitized between usage of multiple players.

• Batting gloves are encouraged to minimize contact with bats, balls and bases.

• Sanitize all equipment and accessories after each game.

Water Bottles & Hydration Stations

• Team members shall not share water bottles.

• Hydration stations may be utilized but shall be touched only by a single appointed monitor.

Umpires

• No line-up card exchanges.

• Observe social distance requirements when communicating with coaches, players and  other umpires.

• Face coverings are required at all times.

Game Personnel Considerations (coaches, players, umpires)

• No sunflower seeds, spitting or gum.

• If a pitcher puts his/her hands to their mouth and touches the ball, “TIME” is called, the pitcher must

sanitize their hands and a new ball is inserted before throwing the next pitch.

Regional Championships

• All games played at host school sites.

• Championships shall be single elimination.

• No pre-game player introduction assemblies on the foul lines.

• Awards ceremonies will be limited to ensure safe social distancing and to minimize mass gatherings.

Uniforms

Long sleeves are encouraged to reduce skin contact with the ball and bases.

Wow. And where exactly did this buffoonery come from?

Last edited by RoadRunner

I can understand taking a cautious approach.

But there is zero evidence for on-field transmission in both baseball and softball. Fomite transmission is vanishingly small. As you allude to, CA's case rate is also now similar to that of neighboring states, which have allowed play to continue.

So, yes, very little evidence that sports are the problem.

But the unkind truth is kids don't vote and old people do - in droves.

@Eokerholm posted:

Is the ticket restriction something new that UIL put out? I hadn’t heard that yet.

From FL:

https://fhsaa.arbitersports.co...20Considerations.pdf

The two that really make me wonder how it'll work:

 Each school should provide sanitized ball (bucket) while on defense.
   o Have a bucket of “dirty balls” available so they can be sanitized after the game.

* Umpires should not touch the baseballs.

So it'll be up to the defensive coach to "validate" not only the safety of the ball (it has to have proper markings), but also ensuring balls aren't scuffed, cut, etc. in any way during the game and put in use. hmmm....   When does a sanitized ball become a "dirty ball"?  Ohh - now I know, when the players start chirping 'dirty ball' when the pitcher spikes one on a pitch.

And then there's:

 Umpires should not share uniforms, towels apparel or equipment.

 Umpires will arrive to the site or facility dressed in their uniforms (uniform tops may be put on
at the facility).

Driving in one's plate shoe's, shins, and chest protector will be more safe I guess ;-p

Going to be an interesting season - looking forward to it... I figure if football and basketball can do it, baseball should have no problem.

But football didn’t have squat for restrictions. We’re the umps and refs not allowed to touch the ball in football or basketball? I don’t think so.

Football bias is annoyingly obvious.

Do they have dirty balls in basketball?  Both sports have way closer and personal contact, spit, and breath close by. So incredibly stupid.

Who comes up and passes this lunacy?

Seriously. Who?

Last edited by Eokerholm

Honestly, basketball is such a dirty sport. Think about all the areas that would need to be policed.  The bottom of all the shoes, the sweat, the spit all on the ball being passed from player to player to ref.  The people mopping up the sweat. Not to mention, it's played INSIDE! Good God, I feel sick!  Baseball's got nothing on that!

Two weeks in and things are going to get interesting. My son has been catching the pens of all the top pitchers (seems like at their requests). Team has a hole at either 2b or 3b. There is a freshman C who played on one of the team USA things and absolutely crushes baseballs. He is also the slowest runner I think I've ever seen in HS. He also plays 1b/3b. My son is probably the second best MIF on the team and definitely a better C. So one of them will have to move or maybe coach will rotate them. Either way, my son is fine with wherever he's put.

Overall, the team will be better than I expected this year. Two pitchers at 90+, another at 88-89, and a few more around 85. The lineup should be very strong. The district/class they play in is full of highly ranked teams full of seniors, so I don't see them getting far in the playoffs when that time comes.

Well the season is off to a great start:

Monday-First Day of tryouts-rained out

Tuesday-New First day of tryouts- can't really do anything other than hit in the cage because the infield has grass all over it and everything is still wet from Sunday and Monday's rain.

Wednesday (today)- Get a text from the HC during my first planning period "no practice until the 18th"...his sister in law who lives with him tested positive for COVID and he has to quarantine for 2 weeks. 

Maybe the best part of all of it is that Tuesday we had 19 kids show up for varsity and JV tryouts...19 total including one kid who has never played baseball at all, one who hasn't played in 3 years, and one who is a senior and has never played for our program (this kid actually looks like he can hit, but he didn't make a lick of contact yesterday).

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.