Skip to main content

We know a kid who was supposed to go D3, ended up Juco instead for 2 years and then ended up at a D1 for his last 2 seasons.

We've heard of another kid who went P5 D1, redshirted freshman year, and then transferred to a Juco but never got back to a school and Juco was the end of the line.

How hard is to go somewhere (D1, D2, whatever) and THEN go Juco and THEN go back to a non-Juco school to finish out?

If few do it, what are the reasons why?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My son went D2 (Freshman) - JUCO (Soph) - D2 (Jr & Sr.).  Original D2 wasn't the best fit (yes we felt like it was at time he went both academically and athletically) and he decided to go JUCO for a year and then go back to a 4 year.  JUCO season cut short by COVID.  He stayed active in reaching out to coaches during fall while at the JUCO and committed in December prior to COVID spring season.  Was very fortunate to end up at a school he really likes.  There are probably more kids like that than you would realize that go 4-2-4 transfers at all levels. 

You can either play “there” or you can’t, wherever “there” happens to be.  If you went “there” and didn’t make it you probably aren’t going back “there” in the future.  If you never got looks from “there” to start with you probably don’t belong “there”.  The moral to the story is, find your “there”…..before your 4/5 clock runs out.

Last edited by 22and25

D1 and D2 rosters are loaded with 4-2-4 guys, so lots of guys have done it. (@CollegebaseballInsights might have some real numbers.) I know of lots of kids locally who have done it. I think the most important thing is being realistic about where you fit talent-wise.

I have to assume that the new one-time transfer waiver is going to change the numbers on 4-2-4 transfers. It will still make sense for some people, but I would think a good percentage will just transfer 4-4 now.

^^^^^
He stole my answer 😀

Until the one time transfer rule it was a way to not sit out a year. I advised people to really think through if they were making the right choice so the kid wouldn’t have to 4-2-4 or sit out a season. If the kid fits in baseball wise he will be comfortable with the moves. Otherwise, it can be a lonely experience.

Imagine if a kid transferred 4-4 during the sit rule. He sits and then can’t get into the lineup in year three. Recruiting doesn’t stop. The team recruited two seasons worth of recruits.  I know someone who did this, got depressed and dropped out of college never to return.

D1 and D2 rosters are loaded with 4-2-4 guys, so lots of guys have done it. (@CollegebaseballInsights might have some real numbers.) I know of lots of kids locally who have done it. I think the most important thing is being realistic about where you fit talent-wise.

I have to assume that the new one-time transfer waiver is going to change the numbers on 4-2-4 transfers. It will still make sense for some people, but I would think a good percentage will just transfer 4-4 now.

@MidAtlanticDad  future enhancement that might come earlier than expected.   The current challenge is quality of data and linking player movement.

We've started creating the paper trail.

E.g  Arkansas Player Attrition(2021 season), how many players from 2020 roster weren't on 2021 team (with a potential reason).

As you can see a couple of members transferred to a JUCO or a 4 yr school

Arkansas_2021_player-attrition

Here is Walters State Player Attrition (players from 2020 that transferred to 4 yr or 2 yr school)

Although this in not a real example of detail player tracking, we have the transfer from the Juco Perspective,

Walters State CC_2021_player-attrition

We also have the the Transfer in insights

Arkansas_2021_player-attrition[1)

In summary, we are almost at the point to show 4-2-4 transfer process.

Attachments

Images (3)
  • Arkansas_2021_player-attrition
  • Walters State CC_2021_player-attrition
  • Arkansas_2021_player-attrition(1)

My son went D2-Juco-D1-D1-D2.  Yes, 5 schools, but he got a bachelors, masters and is 1/2 through a MBA in marketing.  Covid and a RS year gave him 6 years of eligibility.

D2 was far away, was not a good fit and he was red-shirt.  Went to Juco, was named a 2nd team all american and was offered at a mid-level D1.  Played 1 season, played well, got injured and was cut.  Graduated and then Grad transferred to a P5.  This D1 required grad student-atheletes take 12 credits, instead of 9 like most.  Covid hit, team had 54 players and since he was 24 credits into a 35 credit program, he took 12 in summer school and got his masters.   Covid got him a year back of baseball and he found a school that would cover the first year of his MBA and housing and he jumped at it.

It has been a crazy ride, but he got the most important things done - his degrees.

Last edited by Suds
@Consultant posted:

Where did he play Summer League? What is his business goals?  What did he learn when he played?

Bob

Great questions. I am actually at the airport now picking him up from Northwoods. Team asked him to come help pitch. He has played in the NW before, Alaska, West Coast League and last summer he played Texas league the AA teams out together.

Says he has learned about perseverance l, what working hard and focusing on accomplishing your goals really means. Learned how to work together as a team, as a pitcher it means everything.

Still hopes he could get an UDFA deal, but if he doesn’t he wants to stay in baseball or sports. His first masters is in Sports Management.

No matter what happens, college baseball has left him nearly debt free, 2 1/2 degrees, lots of friends and he has been to some amazing places.

@22and25 posted:

You can either play “there” or you can’t, wherever “there” happens to be.  If you went “there” and didn’t make it you probably aren’t going back “there” in the future.  If you never got looks from “there” to start with you probably don’t belong “there”.  The moral to the story is, find your “there”…..before your 4/5 clock runs out.

This is spot on!  I will echo that last sentence, but put a little differently. The sooner you find the appropriate level the better your college baseball experience will be.
   I see way too many kids make a first choice of a school where they aren’t good enough to play - often a D1 school - and they are miserable until they leave. Some bounce back better than others but if a better choice was made up front they could avoid the immediate setback.

@Consultant posted:

Adbono and group:

what are 5 questions a player should ask the Coach?

My 1st question "where do I hit in the lineup"?

If I am a pitcher my question - "who is my catcher"?

Bob

No matter whether a position player or a pitcher there is something that every player should size up during the recruiting process. Unfortunately it’s not something that you can ask the HC directly. It’s something that will need to be learned from talking to current and former players. And the question should go something like this, “the first time I make a mistake who is going to correct me and what will that look like? Will it be constructive (and helpful) ??  Or will it be demeaning (and counterproductive)???

Becoming more common in guys who do not start as freshmen.  Normally those guys stay until drafted but you are seeing those not drafted who were starting move up a level to finish their careers if they started every year at their school.  If guys don't start as a freshman, the mentality of wait your turn is not in most mindsets in today's world, either players or parents.  The ones who sit and wait are 50/50 in reward versus waste.  You have to be able to read the room and I don't think most people have that ability.

@Francis7 posted:

So, is it pretty common for a college baseball player to attend 3 or 4 different colleges over the course of his college baseball career?

Not really no. If you don't see a clear trajectory after year 2 of heading where you need to be I would be putting more stock in my academic and financial decisions than my baseball decisions.

Kid from town went 4-2-4. Did not play baseball on the last leg. Father would not financially support baseball at a D3 with 60k in tuition for the last leg of the 4-2-4. Kid went to the state school with direct admissions into the business school with his associates. 25% off in state tuition for having done that. Kid didn't like it. In 10 years he will be thanking him. Plays club ball at his D1 school.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.