Got no problem with stealing signs or watching pitchers to see if they tip pitches the old fashioned way.   In my mind this is legit and been part of the game forever.   Stealing signs because you're the home team and you've got electronic equipment set up as part of a planned and orchestrated effort to get an advantage is something totally different.

I think the Astros ownership should be given a choice.  Option 1 - Astros are barred from 2020 playoffs.   Option 2 those that knew and were responsible are fired and out of baseball forever.  That will send a clear and direct signal this won't be tolerated now or in the future. 

My two cents...

Goosegg posted:

You understand that the Yankee clip was a splice of two different games. So, not only isn't it proof of anything nefarious by NY, it's proof that someone out there is very gullible.

You do realize that the clip was clearly a joke and not to be taken seriously, right?  I doubt many people who are following this cheating news closely haven't seen the Gardner flip out clip that was all over baseball media when it happened.

hshuler posted:
meads posted:

My thoughts- if your cheating than use it to your advantage. If you get caught cheating shame on you! Take your punishment. 
What Mike Fires said- did the right thing vs snitched. Jury is still out on that.
Yelich vs Darvish goodness gracious! Let it go!

Baseball is a skilled sport. Correa knee what was coming and still struck out- so perhaps it all boils down to skill. Pitcher vs Batter.

Point taken but it’s a HUGE advantage when the batter knows what's coming.  

If not, why work so hard to protect signs?

Can’t be too much of an advantage if so many are still striking out... just saying

meads posted:
hshuler posted:
meads posted:

My thoughts- if your cheating than use it to your advantage. If you get caught cheating shame on you! Take your punishment. 
What Mike Fires said- did the right thing vs snitched. Jury is still out on that.
Yelich vs Darvish goodness gracious! Let it go!

Baseball is a skilled sport. Correa knee what was coming and still struck out- so perhaps it all boils down to skill. Pitcher vs Batter.

Point taken but it’s a HUGE advantage when the batter knows what's coming.  

If not, why work so hard to protect signs?

Can’t be too much of an advantage if so many are still striking out... just saying

The allegations were from ‘17 season and they won the World Series. Coincidence? Maybe? I don’t think so - but that just my opinion.

I don’t disagree that you still have to capitalize but I’m just saying it’s definitely an advantage if you know what’s coming. Just ask any hitter. If there one out there who says the it’s not an advantage, he’s 🤥 !

Gerrit Cole sits 96 - 98 with a wipeout slider. Would it not be an advantage if you knew which one of those he was throwing at any point?

From the Atlantic article:

"...inside the game, there is a belief which is treated by players and staff as fact: That illegal sign stealing, particularly through advanced technology, is everywhere."

If this is the case, it's probably not going to go away.  So why do catchers still use the old "1 is a fastball, 2 is a curve" system?  I mean, they don't even try to hide it, the TV announcers tell us what's coming half the time.  I don't want to blame the victim, but we all lock our doors at night just in case... You'd think some of the analytical smarts in these organizations could surely be used to create difficult-to-break codes.

When you think of the whole thing- from the time a catcher calls the pitch, the pitcher acknowledges and winds up- the batter has milliseconds to process the information, see the pitch and swing. 
sure it help if you know what’s coming between an 95 vs 84mph ball but still when I think about it all my mind is blown 

Add Reply

Likes (0)