Skip to main content

I wanted to say hello to everyone here.

A little bit about me; Im a single dad with two boys 14-11. Both have always competed in competitive baseball and my oldest started HS this year. He will be the starting SS for a 5A schools JV team. He will also be the #3 or maybe the #2 pitcher. This is what he has worked for and he is very intense and ready to do what it takes to further his chance of playing baseball after HS.

I hope to use this site as sort of a help guide for the bettering of both of my kids future in the game that we have dedicated our lives to.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Bizzle Welcome.....

I join this site when was son was just entering his Freshman year....I lurked for about 2 months before I got the courage to join in the fun.

I can tell you, this site will become very addictive but more importantly very helpful. I wish I had found this when my son was younger. Might have saved me a few "battles" during the years of Little League.

You can learn some much from the experiences from the people that have forged ahead of you. I have aslo learn a lot from reading the differences of opinions as they are banter back and forth on this site.

I might have a diffent POV but I think what what this country great is not what we have in common but what we do not have in common. It diffences in our experinces and POV's that allow us to be great. However you have to be willing to listen to the other side for undertanding and look for the opportunities to appreciate the other POV. Our problem now is that we are becoming so polarized in our POV, there is no middle ground.

Sorry for the soapbox, but this board in a way is just like that. You will certainly get some difference experiences and different POV's based off those experiences. I have learned to appreaciate the difenrce in opinions you will find on this board.

As my son continues to go though his high school career and we begin the crazy journey of college selection I hope that I will add to the history of knowlegde that you will find in the board.

There are several baseball baords out on the internet, you will find none better than this one.
quote:
Originally posted by Bizzle:
I wanted to say hello to everyone here.

A little bit about me; Im a single dad with two boys 14-11. Both have always competed in competitive baseball and my oldest started HS this year. He will be the starting SS for a 5A schools JV team. He will also be the #3 or maybe the #2 pitcher. This is what he has worked for and he is very intense and ready to do what it takes to further his chance of playing baseball after HS.

I hope to use this site as sort of a help guide for the bettering of both of my kids future in the game that we have dedicated our lives to.

Welcome! I'm curious about your high school aged son. Does your school play its ball in the fall? Most of us play in the spring so I was curious how you know your son will be the starting SS on JV already?

Good luck to both your boys.
Strike3;
My son played summer ball for the HS and secured the spot, unless some stud moves into town. He formed a pretty good bond with the JV coach and he told him he liked his hustle. He played the spot well and that he would be the starting SS in the spring. I can appreciate the sarcasm Strike3 but I don't think the coach would just tell him this if it were not so
Biz.. just remember things can and do change in baseball. Nothing is secure, and promises are made to be broken. Would advise you and son to keep what the coach told you under wraps until he's out on the field game 1. My son was told by an assistant coach he'd be moved up to varsity his sophomore year yet he wasn't until his junior year. At the time, I remember being ticked off the coach even mentioned it. Not that it mattered in the long run.
quote:
Biz.. just remember things can and do change in baseball. Nothing is secure, and promises are made to be broken. Would advise you and son to keep what the coach told you under wraps until he's out on the field game 1. My son was told by an assistant coach he'd be moved up to varsity his sophomore year yet he wasn't until his junior year. At the time, I remember being ticked off the coach even mentioned it. Not that it mattered in the long run.

Bizzle, we've had the same type of experience mentioned above. Bum gives excellent advice.

Btw, welcome to the HSBBW!
Last edited by Infield08
This happened to my son last year; he was told by varsity coach he looked to be frontrunner for the Catchers job as a soph... a kid moved into the district in October and mine ended up catching on the JV team and was in the dugout for 12 varsity games.
THings do chsnge; it broke my sons heart. He handled it well and played Legion "A" in the summer w the older boys; so he continued to work hard and is still batlting for a position on the Varsity (8 returning SRs).
Goosd luck to your son and just know a lot can happen between summer and spring but even more important MORE can happen between 9th grade and 11th or 12th grade.
quote:
Originally posted by fsmjunior:
Goosd luck to your son and just know a lot can happen between summer and spring but even more important MORE can happen between 9th grade and 11th or 12th grade.

You got that right. I've many, many cases where the kids who are the studs at 14 become duds at 18, and the kids who are skinny, undersized and a little behind dominate by their junior and senior years. That's what I mean by things can and do change. Never rest on your laurels. Look at the competition on a regional or national level--not just the guys on your team--and aspire to that level.
Nice post Bum and so true. You can be the best player on your hs team and not be good enough to make a hs team in another county. You could be the best hs player in your county and not be good enough to be recruited by a college program.

The last 3 MVP's of the middle school team didnt make it past their soph seasons at my hs. They were as good as they were ever going to be the day they walked into the hs. No work ethic and no desire to work to get better. And most importantly no desire to actually compete.

Quincy Jones got cut from the middle school team. He was convinced he was never going to play in HS. He stopped by the field the summer after his freshman year and said "Coach do you think if I worked at baseball I might make the JV as a soph?" All he did was make All State his Jr and Sr years. Make AA at a D1 his Jr and Sr years.

Those of us who have been around this thing and been through it understand what seems important at 13 means absolutely nothing when it really matters. And the things that seem important really dont amount to a hill of beans in the long run. It will play out.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.