Skip to main content

So has does anyone have any information about the upcoming season?  Any admin/coaches heard anything?  With draft being 5-10 rounds, certainly there will be a backlog of players there as well. How will it play out?  If everyone gets a RS, will the eligible, undrafted players end up there?  I am aware that normally the Cape is a tough place for rising seniors. Normally, the roster churn is REAL. Additionally, how will the backlog effect other top leagues?  My feeling is that all leagues will be stronger 2020. 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Talked to a friend at an above average mid major who has placed a handful of players in the league for this summer (and has in the past). Some are planned and placed initially on 10 day contracts and then with the draft and workloads/injuries many of those guys have a chance to stick. He said that at least 1 team is planning to keep his guy(s) that are initial 10 day guys and another team that is not. I agree with the "all leagues are going to be stronger" statement from the initial poster. 

The Valley League factors were these:  Our governor has shut things down until June 10 so players couldn't even practice until then (and it could be extended), so allowing a week of practice since they haven't played in months, you are out of 30-35% of your season; concern for players catching the virus from a host family, or vice-versa, a horrid thing either way; small business sponsors are hurting financially; Virginia High Schools (VHSL) are considering a possible limited summer schedule if things improve and many teams play on high school fields so scheduling could get tricky; Virginia's "peak" is projected as late as mid-May so even if that is correct, there will be plenty to worry about all summer long.  We are close enough to DC that a lot of people in the Valley work with government agencies that are deeply involved in fighting the Corona virus, and the overwhelming belief is that it may get worse, much worse, before it gets better. Fans might come out in droves due to cabin fever, but being in crowds probably isn't a  a good idea as there's no way the virus will be 100% gone. Weighing all of this, we felt the safety of players, fans, and host families was paramount. One person catching the virus would not be worth the risk of playing. 

The first thing that will happen is people will go back to work in states with minimal COVID issues that have peaked and graphed out a certain distance on the down slope. Even then there will be social distancing. I can’t imagine how any sports could be played this summer. 

The NBA is trying to figure out if it’s possible to run playoffs in an isolated arena in Vegas in front of no fans. They’re not sure that’s even doable.

I wonder if some will cancel their contracts and restructure their leagues.  I wonder, nothing definitive, if they might say we will play but only use players that live near our facility.  My son is supposed to play near us and stay with us along with two other teammates.  I just think they may say we are bringing in kids who have their own lodging because of the number of host families that will drop out.  I cannot imagine a host family would consider taking in a player from one of the hot spots and a lot of the host families are older couples who fall into the vulnerable group.  I think if the leagues do not have ball but some of the bans are lifted then there will be spring up leagues by parents and others just to give guys a chance to play.   Even if it is not as competitive.

PitchingFan posted:

I wonder if some will cancel their contracts and restructure their leagues.  I wonder, nothing definitive, if they might say we will play but only use players that live near our facility.  My son is supposed to play near us and stay with us along with two other teammates.  I just think they may say we are bringing in kids who have their own lodging because of the number of host families that will drop out.  I cannot imagine a host family would consider taking in a player from one of the hot spots and a lot of the host families are older couples who fall into the vulnerable group.  I think if the leagues do not have ball but some of the bans are lifted then there will be spring up leagues by parents and others just to give guys a chance to play.   Even if it is not as competitive.

Hoping for an antibody test. Then we would know who had the virus, and who has not. This needs to happen ASAP to save our economy. Those that have active immunity are no longer a risk to themselves and others. 

This is just my expectation, based upon nothing other than our experience and discussions with the management of the 11 teams in our league. While our teams can disagree at times, it was 100% unanimous sentiment to cancel the season. A couple thought perhaps a 2-3 week "wait and see" period might work but we saw nothing but an ugly virus tide coming our way.     Based on today's information, and things could change, I will be surprised if any leagues play this summer.   I am a lawyer by trade (hate me if you must  ) and have clients that will not walk outside their homes for any reason and many are truly scared to be exposed, knowing that with an already compromised body, this virus is a one way ticket home.   With that feeling shared by many, I can't imagine anybody chancing going to public events for a long time.

"I cannot imagine a host family would consider taking in a player from one of the hot spots"

Still in denial.  "Hot spots." So, tell me about those hot spots. Would that be where we're testing? Are there hot spots where we aren't testing?  How about just a spin of the roulette wheel - that's about as accurate.

UNTIL WE IMPLEMENT WIDESPREAD TESTING OF A REPRESENTATIVE SAMPLE OF THE POPULATION  - THOSE WITH SYMPTOMS AND THOSE WITHOUT - we are fighting this battle completely and totally blind. And widespread testing is quite away off into the future.

For example, while California is often mentioned as having had some success, when you have tested amongst the lowest per capita in the US (like California), its sheer hubris to make any claim about success. (See, e.g., More than 1 million people tested for coronavirus in US, but access varies from state to state - https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/0...id-19-screening.html)

Four weeks ago, we were told that 4 million tests A WEEK were here. As of yesterday, total test results were a bit above a million. Yesterday, about 115k test results were logged - the testing number has basically plateaued while the number of infections continues on an exponential path.

THE ENTIRE COUNTRY IS A HOT SPOT AND SHOULD BE CONSIDERED THAT WAY UNTIL TESTING GETS SERIOUS.

The immunity question is more interesting. But, I'm surprised a consensus hasn't emerged: we just dont know if any immunity is conferred  AND, if so, for how long? 

Now, I find comfort in knowing that the entire human race's brain power is focused on this disease. Give our scientists, medical professionals, engineers time and we humans will figure it out. But when every day seems like a month, time is quite elastic.

Last edited by Goosegg

Maybe a little denial as there are no cases in our county or within 30 miles of us, diagnosed.  I do think it came through here in January and February as we had a lot of cases of people with all the symptoms and were tested for flu and failed the flu test but they called it flu.  Even many put in ICU.  I just know there is a paranoia around here of the "hot spots" as the government and news call them.  I realize that most of the populated spots in the US are really hot spots because of closeness in every area and those of us in rural America are fortunate in this maybe because we are not being tested very much and our social distancing is easier than the highly populated areas.  We have social distancing as a lifestyle.  As one of my friends said, I live in social distancing in the tree stand, turkey blind, and fishing boat.  I work with four guys every day and won't go anywhere where there is more than 25 in any confined area.  We have a close set of friends and do not ever get in a crowd of more than 100 people at any event.  So yes, my definition of hot spot would be different than many.  I can't think of a time that in the past 3 months that I have been in a crowd of more than 100-200 people at any given time.  Even at the college game I stayed off to myself and never sat shoulder to shoulder with anyone.  Not minimizing the results of it but as I told someone this morning it is different when you don't know anyone who has had it for sure and you have no confirmed cases within a 30 minute drive. 

"We have a close set of friends and do not ever get in a crowd of more than 100 people at any event."

So, you have a test which can determine which of those 100 are infected?  Which one is the asymptomatic spreader? Which one went to the choir practice a few days before, sat six feet apart, but somehow got infected? (Yes, it's happened with multiple dead so far.)

Do know which of those 100 are observing social distancing? How? Is there a different transmission mechanism for close friends, as opposed to the cashier at Safeway?

You really dont get it. If the entire country would observe the basic PH rules, this would be over in two weeks. Obviously, that is impossible as we need firefighters, police, hospital workers, Amazon fulfillment centers all up and operating; but if everyone else (i.e., non-essentials) did observe PH rules, 4 weeks is what it would take.

Now tell me how long it would take if everyone socialized with close friends and in groups limited to 100? Perhaps when herd immunity arrives is when that time arrives.

Doing a little change of behavior doesnt and wont cut it. Doing a huge change of behaviors will.

Normally, I could care less what someone does which doesnt impact me. But, here, you've just written that you've changed behavior, but still simply ignore health experts.

I am not picking on you; where I'm hunkered down (in a rural area), I see groups of people jogging, biking, hiking, with not a care in the world. Its because of these people that we will be sheltered for 2 months, three months, instead of 4 weeks. And everyday were sheltered, is another day ALL OF US blow through our savings.

Weeks ago, I pondered how bad it would be to follow Italy's track. Today, I wish we were following Italy.

Americans are a skeptical, ornery people who learn slowly. It appears our lesson will be 100k dead in just a few months.

We are only as strong as our weakest Public Health link.

Miswrote or misread.  I’ve not been in a group of 10 for last month.  I’m saying we rarely ever, even before this, are in a group of 100.  I’ve not seen any groups here other than grocery Lowe’s or Walmart.  All fields shut down, all churches going fb live, no sports for three weeks, no hangout spots or entertainment open for three weeks.  We are doing what we are supposed to do but don’t see the effects of Coronavirus other than tv.  My fear is that because we have none, people will give up the isolation early.  No offense taken.  We are doing it right, right now, because it is easier in rural America.  We live in somewhat isolation.  

Last edited by PitchingFan
Pedaldad posted:

There is no chance for any summer leagues this year, especially the Cape.   Location, Location, Location!  Additionally, no college coaches are letting their top returning guys go pitch with potentially 3 months off training or poor conditioning.

I never even thought about coaches not allowing it. Please don’t burst my bubble again.

I understand "hotspot" can also mean diagnosed infections, but since testing impacts that number, I focus more on where the strain on the system has potential to overwhelm the HCS. 

And the patients needing acute care today are totally dependent upon what we all were doing about 14-21 days ago. Not enough of the country was acting then; now, we're coming around and we know it takes about 14 days for the growth rate to stop growing. (Because Italy did it.) We still dont know how to drive the growth rate negative, though. (Because Italy hasn't yet done it.) 

Believe it or not, I'm coming around to summer ball.

It's all about time. On the baseball side (business like hosts), on the player side (who has kept their arm in shape), on the school side (do you want him to play); on the virus side (above).

I cant see the calendar working out. But I see other things beginning to stir during mid-summer; MLB? NBA?

But, it all depends upon April containing and mitigating the virus, which, in turn, depends upon social compliance.

I don't live in what one would call a "hotspot", just a place where they hardly test anyone, and people are incredibly stupid.  Our local paper ran a story about someone who recently went on a cruise to Florida, came home and wasn't feeling great, thought she might have the virus.  So, what did she do?  She went to the supermarket.  Wow, thanks a lot.  And, the point of the story was that they refused to test her, because she couldn't say she had been in contact with someone already diagnosed.  No duh (as we used to say when I was a kid).  So, I wonder how many people she infected, who won't be tested for the same reason?  No wonder our numbers are low where I am.

PitchingFan posted:

I think if the leagues do not have ball but some of the bans are lifted then there will be spring up leagues by parents and others just to give guys a chance to play.   Even if it is not as competitive.

If summer leagues start up, what would a team do when they have 20 sick players all at once?  It doesn't seem feasible, host families or not.  I hope things get under control, and I hope this happens.  I guess if they are living at home and all get sick, then that's better?

We need the antibody test; if it turns out that a lot more people have had it than we thought, then everything will get going again.  But, in the meantime we wait, and by Fridays, everyone is pretty crazy (on this site, in my house, etc.).

bandera posted:

Any updates on Cape or other summer leagues?

Massachusetts doesn’t hit peak for about eight days. I can’t imagine anyone is thinking about when baseball can resume. Would you want your kid in a host home this summer? Or in reverse, would you want to host players?

Last edited by RJM
RJM posted:
bandera posted:

Massachusetts doesn’t hit peak for about eight days. I can’t imagine anyone is thinking about when baseball can resume. Would you want your kid in a host home this summer? Or in reverse, would you want to host players?

I think it’s too early to answer that question. 

I just spoke to a good friend of mine  who lives on the cape and decided not to host.  He still gets weekly emails from the CCBL after their weekly meetings. He told me a lot goes into  making a decision, which involves state and local health and government services.

He said if he hears anything, will let me know.

RJM posted:
bandera posted:

I’ve allowed my kids go off and do things that make me nervous, because they’re out of site and control.  I do so, while advising them to be smart, make good decisions, be aware of your surroundings, etc.

If summer ball is open, it’s because we’re making progress, so, yes, I would allow my son to play if he was comfortable with it.  Same advice will apply.

Last edited by CTbballDad
CTbballDad posted:
RJM posted:
bandera posted:

I’ve allowed my kids go off and do things that make me nervous, because they’re out of site and control.  I do so, while advising them to be smart, make good decisions, be aware of your surroundings, etc.

If summer ball is open, it’s because we’re making progress, so, yes, I would allow my son to play if he was comfortable with it.  Same advice will apply.

Would you allow your son to make the decision regarding whether he’s safe at a host family’s home? How would he know? 

RJM posted:
CTbballDad posted:
RJM posted:
bandera posted:

Would you allow your son to make the decision regarding whether he’s safe at a host family’s home? How would he know? 

I’m reluctant to answer your question as I’m not interested in continuing the endless back and forth that has taken over this site.  The point of my original response was, COVID or something else, our kids can be confronted in unsafe situations.  If COVID were completely eradicated next week, they could still be confronted with dangers at a host family, college dorm, etc.

We all want our kids to be safe, but they need to learn how on their own.  So yes, once he’s back on his own, whether at a host family or back in the dorm in September, we’ll talk to him about things to look out for and how to address them.

I think it could be redone to where a lot of the leagues might not be as competitive but could be done regionally.  My son is supposed to play in NC right across the line from SC.  We are having two of his teammates stay with us so that is 3 players already and 2 of the three are 2 way guys.  If that team redid their rosters to include most players within an hour drive you would not need hardly any host families.  That would easily be done with the number of players that are P5 in this area.  It does not solve the ultimate problems but it would solve the host family problems.  The thing to remember is that MLB does not make most of their money off of tickets but tv.  These leagues make all of their money off of advertising and tickets.  So it won't help if they get players but don't get fans and if they get players and fans but lose their advertising due to economy. 

I don't see any summer ball happening, mainly because players come from all over the country to every league.  So do the coaches, so do the scouts.

That's how this mess started in the first place, right?  If I am a HC, I more than likely would want my players not to travel and come back to school having not been exposed.

JMO

game7 posted:
RJM posted:

Italian data indicates a low risk for healthy young people, so I would be fine with any decision my son made.

As a healthy sixty year old hanging out in a small state (ME) I don’t feel threatened. Given the number of healthy people that have died (1) I’m three times more likely to be killed crossing the street.

But in reverse, would you just let some kid arrive from anywhere and host him under these circumstances if you live in one of the COVID hot zones (MA) with a paper (Boston Globe) who has been covering COVID like it’s the end of the world. 

Last edited by RJM

this is the most encouraging news I have seen in a while.

Updated 4/13/2020

The Cape Cod Baseball League is continuing to monitor the  updates from local, state, and federal  officials on what we may expect in the coming days, weeks, and months ahead. At this time, our hope is to start the 2020 season as scheduled on Saturday June 13, 2020.  

From a neutral viewpoint it comes across as a hook to stay interested more than an encouraging sign. I understand how badly parents with kids playing want to restart. But when states start to open up it will be with as much distancing as possible. I can’t picture the governor allowing people to flock into MA from all over the country when it’s a COVID hot spot. The projection downslope in MA isn’t supposed to hit zero until June 17th. Zero projected deaths doesn’t mean it’s over when there isn’t a vaccine.

Northwoods League

Not cancelled, but also not encouraging. This being the only "for profit" summer league, I would expect them to do whatever is possible to get a season going.

Rochester, Minn. – With fan, player and personnel safety as the primary consideration, the Northwoods League has been closely monitoring developments related to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and the various restrictions by governmental authorities that have been enacted as a result. Simultaneously, the League has been considering multiple scenarios that could be adapted to the dynamic environment in which we find ourselves so that where and when baseball can safely be played, it will be played.

However, each of those options are limited by the extension of stay at home orders in a given state, and when such an extension occurs in various states throughout the League footprint, each scenario must be adapted to fit the evolving circumstances.  Given the state of Wisconsin has extended its “Safer at Home” order through May 26th, a League-wide opening day of May 26th is no longer possible. The League will continue to consider multiple scenarios as each state determines its policies, always predicated on the assumption that adequate safeguards can be put in place in ballparks in states where there are no restrictions on large gatherings in order to assure fan, player and personnel safety.

RJM posted:

The Michigan governor won’t help with her over the top orders. Her stay at home orders are so rigid a hitter can’t even go to first after he hits the ball. 

Michigan has one of the highest confirmed infection and death rates even though they are doing less testing than other states. Be safe out there.

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/26/...eaths-tests-by-state

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0
CmassRHPDad posted:
RJM posted:

The Michigan governor won’t help with her over the top orders. Her stay at home orders are so rigid a hitter can’t even go to first after he hits the ball. 

Michigan has one of the highest confirmed infection and death rates even though they are doing less testing than other states. Be safe out there.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here and I know everyone is beyond stress. I thought I would try to help ease some stress.

Charts can be fun to look at but can easily be misunderstood or misquoted and that just spreads the panic and stress. Main Stream Media is notorious for this. (see didn't get political)

People need to NOT look at just the COUNT of confirmed cases. That means NOTHING mathematically or epidemiologically.  Infection or death rates require a denominator, like population. 

Great site and visual here: (CDC numbers) https://infection2020.com/  You can even expand and see down to the county level and watch it over time. 

Michigan has 9.987 million people so 30791 confirmed/9,987,000 = .0031 = .3%  I wouldn't call that "high...."

NJ, which has more cases, has less population at 8.881 million so their infected rate is 81599/8,881,000 = 1% more than 3X that of Michigan.

NY state has 19.45 million citizens with 242,570/19,450,000=1.25% 

(yes, NYC is a crazy hot spot based on population density)

It's about population, population density --- denominators!!!

They chart counts here (which looks WAY scarier), but also show infection rates to the population in each county and you can change the legend to just show infection rates.

Also be careful when they post charts/comparisons to average daily deaths like heart disease, cancer, sepsis, or suicide, as those are aged over a year period and Covid has been counted for only 2 months. averaged over the year it will be lower than reported/compared.

Yes, death is bad, but the affects on the economy, herd and individual psyche, economic turmoil, suicide rates, etc are much much much worse. Infection Rates, prevelance, virulence, yeah yeah yeah. But I don't get the continued shutdown with numbers this low. 

It sucks for our kids. Texas Govenor shut down the schools for the rest of the academic year, and Texas UIL canceled the rest of the spring sports and seasons. Thankfully, the governor is also opening Texas back up next week to get people back to work.  Face cover will be the norm for quite some time, and that isn't a bad thing. Hopefully it works out well and helps boost the economy and morale. 

Imagine how much less of this and other diseases spread now that people are covering their face and washing hands (finally)....

I do hope we can get some summer baseball events back. Especially for those kids that are trying to be seen to get to the next level. College kids have already been seen. I'm talking high school kids and staying on topic.

Even if they just did 2020 and 2021 focused ONLY events just to keep the numbers down.  I get this was to be the hot summer for 22s, but I think that has shifted, at least this year and they still have next summer. Yes some schools are mostly, if not, full for the 21 class, but A LOT are not (and maybe with the extra class returning and everyone getting a do-over) that would be a good thing.  But out of necessity, the 2020s and 2021s need this summer to hopefully find something and somewhere to go, if they can or if they haven't already.   No 10-14 year old needs to be out playing or trying to land a scholarship and don't get me started on the 8th grade commits.  What a joke. I'm not saying they younger kids don't need to get out, but in a limited capacity or availability, time sensitive nature, the 2020s and 2021s need it the most. 22s are next in line and hopefully have the fall for 2021 and 22 events.

Would be happy to have baseball games with no fans or just family with social distancing, face covers, etc. Would be happy to oblige and sit 6 feet away from others. Stadiums and schools would appreciate the income I'm sure and we could all use a game, even if just televised.

If the distance learning thing takes off I would imagine colleges will be hurting without on campus attendees and boosts to local economies. College is about GOING to college, interacting, experiencing and growing up, not learning on a screen. Yes it can happen and helps when needed and now is that time, but that isn't the college and learning experience we all had and want for our kids. Hopefully we can get back to that sooner.

Additionally, remote college is going to hurt the smaller schools. Why go to school ABC, when I can dial in and attend Harvard, or Stanford. If the price drops on virtual vs physical attendance, budgets and balance sheets are going to be drastically affected. 

I feel really badly for the 2020s. No baseball, no prom, no graduation. That totally sucks.

FACT - Only 7ish% of the HS kids go on to play at the college level. So less numbers in college and even less numbers of college seniors. Way more high school seniors affected nationally. 

On the bright side, I do think and others have said, the next few years of college baseball are going to be the best competition we will have ever had or seen and that is exciting. More difficult and competitive for the upcoming high schoolers and incoming freshman next and the next few classes, but the college baseball caliber, across ALL divisions, just exploded and will be super exciting to watch when we can get back to the fields. 

I think the MLB got their way and shrunk the draft and it won't get back to what it was. Which means less college and high school draftees and more kids in school and that isn't a bad thing. I never understood the 18-22 man signing class of the Vandys, Arks, Tech Tech, Florida International, etc. Those numbers aren't sustainable. Education is important. I'm glad that more kids will be going to college to get an education and to prep for whatever next level they can get to.

OK, rant over. I need more coffee.

Stay safe and wash your hands!

Attachments

Images (5)
  • mceclip1
  • mceclip2
  • mceclip3
  • mceclip4
  • mceclip5
CmassRHPDad posted:
RJM posted:

People In Michigan aren’t allowed to do yard work. At a Walmart they’re not allowed to purchase anything but essentials, no tools, no yard supplies, etc.. they’re not allowed to have company over. They’re not allowed to travel to their summer residence. No cruising in your car. No boating, This is dictator style governance.

When I saw what was happening at my primary residence (turned out to be a COVID hot spot) I left for my second residence. People are much safer at a second residence with lower population density.

Last edited by RJM

You are only missing one point.  Part of this is what the government does, but part of it is what people choose to do.  The vocal people who want everything to go back to "normal" are a minority.  Very large numbers of people are not going to go back to what they used to do, especially in the voluntary areas of entertainment and travel, until they feel that it is reasonable to do so. 

Obviously a lot can happen with summer ball that we used not to think about, but now we are thinking about it.  (Last summer my son was diagnosed with mono, the day before he was supposed to leave to play for a collegiate summer team hundreds of miles away - and we did wonder, what if this had happened while he was already there?) 

If I'm supposed to send my son hundreds of miles away to play baseball, where he might get sick and need hospitalization, and I don't hear from the team a coherent plan about what they will do in that situation, then I won't send him.  If he can get an antibody test and he has already had it, then fine.  If they test players for the virus and have an isolation plan for them, then fine.  If a theraputic treatment is available by then, then fine.  If they have a place for me to stay if hotels are still closed and I have to come because he's in the hospital, then that's helpful.  That's a lot for a summer team to have to think about. 

RJM posted:
CmassRHPDad posted:
RJM posted:

People In Michigan aren’t allowed to do yard work. At a Walmart they’re not allowed to purchase anything but essentials, no tools, no yard supplies, etc.. they’re not allowed to have company over. They’re not allowed to travel to their summer residence. No cruising in your car. No boating, This is dictator style governance.

When I saw what was happening at my primary residence (turned out to be a COVID hot spot) I left for my second residence. People are much safer at a second residence with lower population density.

I sent you a pm on this.  I left out that as far as cruising in your car, motor cyclists drive around my cousins neighborhood with MAGA hats just to annoy people.  People cannot gather in larger groups than 10.  Same as everywhere else, they use zoom and social distancing.

TPM posted:
RJM posted:
CmassRHPDad posted:
RJM posted:

I sent you a pm on this.  I left out that as far as cruising in your car, motor cyclists drive around my cousins neighborhood with MAGA hats just to annoy people.  People cannot gather in larger groups than 10.  Same as everywhere else, they use zoom and social distancing.

Also, she and others cannot go to Lake House because those areas are not equipped this time of year for a larger population. Emergency services are limited.

I really am upset how the Governor has taken a hit. I don't think that people really understand how bad things are in Michigan. The rules she has imposed are in line to other states. Here in FL you cant go to your vacation home in the keys. 

keewart posted:

TPM, They have closed the Outer Banks of NC to all but full time residents.  My neighbor, and inlaws, can't even go check on their second homes (not rentals).  

Same here with the keys. Reason being is that they don't have essential services this time of year. 

I live in a community with lots of snowbirds. The community asked everyone who was not a permanent resident to go home. It's so nice and quiet I love it. FWIW, they closed down everything in my community. No pools, no golf course, tennis, etc. It was a city decision. 

No different than anywhere else.

TPM posted:
anotherparent posted:

Would those of you whose sons played summer ball far away (at the Cape, I think?) send your sons this summer?  Just curious.

Simple....no.

I don't know if you all missed the question or the entire post.

My son played in 2006 when life was good and no deadly virus existed.

And it was far away from South Florida. 

SomeBaseballDad posted:
anotherparent posted:

Would those of you whose sons played summer ball far away (at the Cape, I think?) send your sons this summer?  Just curious.

My son is 21 and thus his own man, so not my call. If I had to guess (really not much of a guess to it) he'd go unless it was a real hotspot.

Boston is a hot spot. A lot of people living in the greater Boston area head for the Cape on a regular basis in the summer.

Last edited by RJM
@keewart posted:

TPM, They have closed the Outer Banks of NC to all but full time residents.  My neighbor, and inlaws, can't even go check on their second homes (not rentals).  

What I find amazing is that this is accepted and followed. I an not a protestor, I am probably a libertarian without a party at heart but I find this amazing. It is time for massive protests in the streets (socially distanced of course) and a disregard for these jackasses we call governors. 

@old_school posted:

What I find amazing is that this is accepted and followed. I an not a protestor, I am probably a libertarian without a party at heart but I find this amazing. It is time for massive protests in the streets (socially distanced of course) and a disregard for these jackasses we call governors. 

Today (4/27), I believe non-resident property owners are allowed back to the outer banks.  You have to show documentation.   The small community just can't handle a lot of sick people.  Plus, I was told that you need to bring everything you need when you come:  all paper products and food. 

Its a start.

@keewart posted:

Today (4/27), I believe non-resident property owners are allowed back to the outer banks.  You have to show documentation.   The small community just can't handle a lot of sick people.  Plus, I was told that you need to bring everything you need when you come:  all paper products and food. 

Its a start.

Summer resident property owners in Salisbury Beach and Newburyport MA are being refused to have their water and electricity turned on.  

The Dr Erickson You Tube video on why the shutdown should end (based on facts and math from legitimate sources) was banned as propaganda and misinformation minutes after appearing on Laura Ingraham’s show. 

Step one to controlling the masses is control the information.  

Last edited by RJM

We have a house in the OBX and Currituck County is letting non-resident property owners back in so tomorrow we head that way. We have some house preparations to do before summer but to be honest, it will be great to just exist at the beach for a few days. If I can keep myself away from the TV and my laptop, some unwinding just might happen, not an altogether bad thing.  I will continue to be bummed that our Valley League isn't playing this summer, especially because we had unbelievable talent coming in all over the league (we had 6 D-1 weekend starters for our pitching rotation, and a projected 3rd round draft choice for our primary catcher).    True confession: Sunday afternoon I watched about 10 minutes of the Women's Professional Cornhole League Doubles...argh!!!!   But they were actually pretty darned good. 

@RJM posted:

Summer resident property owners in Salisbury Beach and Newburyport MA are being refused to have their water and electricity turned on.  

The Dr Erickson You Tube video on why the shutdown should end (based on facts and math from legitimate sources) was banned as propaganda and misinformation minutes after appearing on Laura Ingraham’s show. 

Step one to controlling the masses is control the information.  

I'm not going to post either links or text or argue the issue, but I do think that people who have viewed Dr. Erickson's video (I'm among them) should know that there are other medical doctors say that his math and conclusions are deeply flawed.

@hokieone posted:

We have a house in the OBX and Currituck County is letting non-resident property owners back in so tomorrow we head that way. We have some house preparations to do before summer but to be honest, it will be great to just exist at the beach for a few days. If I can keep myself away from the TV and my laptop, some unwinding just might happen, not an altogether bad thing.  I will continue to be bummed that our Valley League isn't playing this summer, especially because we had unbelievable talent coming in all over the league (we had 6 D-1 weekend starters for our pitching rotation, and a projected 3rd round draft choice for our primary catcher).    True confession: Sunday afternoon I watched about 10 minutes of the Women's Professional Cornhole League Doubles...argh!!!!   But they were actually pretty darned good. 

Jay, Dave was really disappointed as well.

I know Toney was with you last year, is that who are you talking about?   He has mad catching  skills, steal once you will never do it again. Heard he will be drafted early next year but really needed this year and summer to improve as a hitter.

Stay safe.

@JCG posted:

I'm not going to post either links or text or argue the issue, but I do think that people who have viewed Dr. Erickson's video (I'm among them) should know that there are other medical doctors say that his math and conclusions are deeply flawed.

This is a good oped today from Dr. Murphy; chairman of the Department of Emergency Medicine at St. Barnabas Hospital in the Bronx.   A very hard-hit area.  It's his view on why we need to open based on his personal experience.    His argument is different but his recommendation is the same as Dr. Erickson. 

https://nypost.com/2020/04/27/...to-start-opening-up/

Toney is correct. Your son has seen him and told one of our guys that he has really worked hard on his hitting, and looks like the real deal in every way. Toney is a very bright guy, tons of personality, and looks like what you'd get if you asked Central Casting to bring you a catcher. I hope all is well with you. 

@hokieone posted:

Toney is correct. Your son has seen him and told one of our guys that he has really worked hard on his hitting, and looks like the real deal in every way. Toney is a very bright guy, tons of personality, and looks like what you'd get if you asked Central Casting to bring you a catcher. I hope all is well with you. 

Wow, that's Toney to the tee. Great family. A great lesson for everyone. He sat behind Pages all last season, they came to just about every game. Supported the team.  Learned a lot from the guy in front of him. They were really enjoying this season.  

What a shame, for everyone.

This is a good oped today from Dr. Murphy; chairman of the Department of Emergency Medicine at St. Barnabas Hospital in the Bronx.   A very hard-hit area.  It's his view on why we need to open based on his personal experience.    His argument is different but his recommendation is the same as Dr. Erickson. 

Interesting, thanks.  Much more of an anecdotal take on the current situation. I hope he's right!

I hate arguing about coronavirus on this forum.  Can people please stop posting this sort of thing, unless they are directly relevant to sports?  I started to write a long response to this, which I'm not going to put here, because this thread is about summer collegiate baseball.

Son's summer league is one that thinks they are going to happen (no host families).  I guess we'll see.  At this point I'd be up for lots of local collegiate games instead.

Gunner thanks again for posting the link tho the NY post article. And AP, I understand and appreciate your frustration. You are correct. There is no need for for arguments. I enjoy the sharing of information. I think we are all mourning the loss of our so called normal “baseball lives”. For some, of us, research and reading helps get us through the grief process right now, because that’s what this is, a grieving process. So it’s really ok to share our grief, hopes, aspirations. And we all don’t need to agree with one another on each and every thing. Some people need to get negative feelings off their chest. Some need to look for a shred of hope. Some of us vacillate back and forth. It’s all good. 

I hate arguing about coronavirus on this forum.  Can people please stop posting this sort of thing, unless they are directly relevant to sports?  I started to write a long response to this, which I'm not going to put here, because this thread is about summer collegiate baseball.

Son's summer league is one that thinks they are going to happen (no host families).  I guess we'll see.  At this point I'd be up for lots of local collegiate games instead.

You don't have to reply or refute everything Covid related but I get your point about posting in this thread.  Green shoots are good and I thought posters would like to hear positive perspectives from healthcare workers in the hottest of zones (very near me).   The sooner we open the sooner baseball starts and that is the relevance.  Not sure why someone would want to argue about or write a long response to Op Ed from the Chairman in charge of Emergency Medicine.  Its an informed opinion - an OpEd.

My son's summer team just called and is getting prepared to ramp up once CT is open.  It's not a big league that requires host families so there is not that issue that many of you face.  Good luck to all.  Before I get jumped on like the last time I posted about summer baseball, there will be no public gatherings of teammates until the state opens.  

@RoadRunner posted:

Gunner thanks again for posting the link tho the NY post article. And AP, I understand and appreciate your frustration. You are correct. There is no need for for arguments. I enjoy the sharing of information. I think we are all mourning the loss of our so called normal “baseball lives”. For some, of us, research and reading helps get us through the grief process right now, because that’s what this is, a grieving process. So it’s really ok to share our grief, hopes, aspirations. And we all don’t need to agree with one another on each and every thing. Some people need to get negative feelings off their chest. Some need to look for a shred of hope. Some of us vacillate back and forth. It’s all good. 

Yep, for sure it can help.  I have really appreciated all the links to articles of various types, but I thought I was posting too much.  Also, it derails the purpose of these threads.  The one thread about coronavirus was good, until it was shut down! 

I did not find this to be an informed article, or at least, it didn't discuss the subject on which the author had the most information.  This is an ER doctor, not an infectious disease specialist or an epidemiologist, and his argument is based entirely on his intuition, not on science or "data" that is available anywhere but in this article.  He says his primary worry is that people aren't going for medical care for other issues. That is an issue of educating the public, which has nothing to do with "rapidly going back to work".  The "going back to work" is because he wants herd immunity, which is  a legitimate argument up to a point, but it comes with the cost of more deaths, which he doesn't talk about.  He is an ER doctor; if he had talked about the deaths he had seen in his ER, who was dying, and why he thought more of that sort of death is acceptable (it was inevitable for those people anyway?  it was their fault for being fat and out of shape?), then his argument would have more credibility.  But he didn't offer that, which is the only thing on which he does have genuine expertise.

AP it was an opinion piece that lacked data. Instead the doc shared observations. All good. 
Right now I am really scared. I am less scared of the virus than I am of the side effects of the virus. Mostly about our economy and liberties. I am seeing the effects and I am scared to death. Right now I have concerns about more people being negatively effected by economic issues than the virus itself. I don’t have any numbers. And I’m not worried so much about 401ks, savings etc. I’m more concerned people having food and a place to live. I don’t know anyone that has died from the virus, but I do know people that have lost their jobs and are suffering other ways as a result of the virus. So that is my perspective and observations. I do not live in NY, or NJ, etc. I’m sure they are suffering in a different way right now. 

Yep, for sure it can help.  I have really appreciated all the links to articles of various types, but I thought I was posting too much.  Also, it derails the purpose of these threads.  The one thread about coronavirus was good, until it was shut down! 

I did not find this to be an informed article, or at least, it didn't discuss the subject on which the author had the most information.  This is an ER doctor, not an infectious disease specialist or an epidemiologist, and his argument is based entirely on his intuition, not on science or "data" that is available anywhere but in this article.  He says his primary worry is that people aren't going for medical care for other issues. That is an issue of educating the public, which has nothing to do with "rapidly going back to work".  The "going back to work" is because he wants herd immunity, which is  a legitimate argument up to a point, but it comes with the cost of more deaths, which he doesn't talk about.  He is an ER doctor; if he had talked about the deaths he had seen in his ER, who was dying, and why he thought more of that sort of death is acceptable (it was inevitable for those people anyway?  it was their fault for being fat and out of shape?), then his argument would have more credibility.  But he didn't offer that, which is the only thing on which he does have genuine expertise.

I am happy I shared his perspective and found his opinion very informative.   Sorry it rankled you.  Off to catch the lefty now.

@JCG posted:

You don’t ban debate because you disagree.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Last edited by RJM
@RoadRunner posted:

AP it was an opinion piece that lacked data. Instead the doc shared observations. All good. 
Right now I am really scared. I am less scared of the virus than I am of the side effects of the virus. Mostly about our economy and liberties. I am seeing the effects and I am scared to death. Right now I have concerns about more people being negatively effected by economic issues than the virus itself. I don’t have any numbers. And I’m not worried so much about 401ks, savings etc. I’m more concerned people having food and a place to live. I don’t know anyone that has died from the virus, but I do know people that have lost their jobs and are suffering other ways as a result of the virus. So that is my perspective and observations. I do not live in NY, or NJ, etc. I’m sure they are suffering in a different way right now. 

One thing Dr Erickson said that is indisputable is sheltering from every day life for a long period of time breaks down your immune system. It makes people more vulnerable to every sickness and disease when they get back to the exposure if real life. 

27 million people are out of work. Some are out of money and out of food. Out of their home could be next. A few million of them invested everything they have in their own businesses and are watching them die. 

A friend of mine collects about 10k per month in rent from rental properties. She can’t collect right now. She said given the nature of her renters half will never be able to catch up or even pay when there are less jobs. Many are  hospitality people in a hospitality oriented tourist city. She said they will stay in their homes until they are legally evicted. She expects to lose six or more months rent on each one of these properties while she has to pay to maintain them and pay taxes.

Last edited by RJM
@RJM posted:

You don’t ban debate because you disagree.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Wut?

Do you think these guys that were supposed to go to the Cape and others will drift down to some of the other leagues?  Coastal Plains is still planning on going but I wonder if their rosters might be inflated?  It would be like a huge free agent draft if they can add guys and these guys have nowhere to go and are the best of the best in most people's minds.

I would expect every player to have a backup league near their house just in case their primary league gets cancelled. As I mentioned in an earlier post the local travel league is starting a college league here in Northern Virginia. If there are no local college leagues near a player maybe they should contact a local travel league/travel team and see if they are trying to set up a college league. 

Last edited by BrownIndian
@PitchingFan posted:

Do you think these guys that were supposed to go to the Cape and others will drift down to some of the other leagues?  Coastal Plains is still planning on going but I wonder if their rosters might be inflated?  It would be like a huge free agent draft if they can add guys and these guys have nowhere to go and are the best of the best in most people's minds.

I would assume yes for the draft eligible guys, no for the underclassmen. College kids want to play summer ball, just not at the rate these summer leagues play in. I think if you give them a choice a lot would choose to skip and do their own thing this summer. After all, there are more players than spots with the seniors coming back. Now add at least two cancelled leagues into the mix. 

I don't see summer baseball happening - at least north of the Mason Dixon line. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.