Skip to main content

So has does anyone have any information about the upcoming season?  Any admin/coaches heard anything?  With draft being 5-10 rounds, certainly there will be a backlog of players there as well. How will it play out?  If everyone gets a RS, will the eligible, undrafted players end up there?  I am aware that normally the Cape is a tough place for rising seniors. Normally, the roster churn is REAL. Additionally, how will the backlog effect other top leagues?  My feeling is that all leagues will be stronger 2020. 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Talked to a friend at an above average mid major who has placed a handful of players in the league for this summer (and has in the past). Some are planned and placed initially on 10 day contracts and then with the draft and workloads/injuries many of those guys have a chance to stick. He said that at least 1 team is planning to keep his guy(s) that are initial 10 day guys and another team that is not. I agree with the "all leagues are going to be stronger" statement from the initial poster. 

The Valley League factors were these:  Our governor has shut things down until June 10 so players couldn't even practice until then (and it could be extended), so allowing a week of practice since they haven't played in months, you are out of 30-35% of your season; concern for players catching the virus from a host family, or vice-versa, a horrid thing either way; small business sponsors are hurting financially; Virginia High Schools (VHSL) are considering a possible limited summer schedule if things improve and many teams play on high school fields so scheduling could get tricky; Virginia's "peak" is projected as late as mid-May so even if that is correct, there will be plenty to worry about all summer long.  We are close enough to DC that a lot of people in the Valley work with government agencies that are deeply involved in fighting the Corona virus, and the overwhelming belief is that it may get worse, much worse, before it gets better. Fans might come out in droves due to cabin fever, but being in crowds probably isn't a  a good idea as there's no way the virus will be 100% gone. Weighing all of this, we felt the safety of players, fans, and host families was paramount. One person catching the virus would not be worth the risk of playing. 

The first thing that will happen is people will go back to work in states with minimal COVID issues that have peaked and graphed out a certain distance on the down slope. Even then there will be social distancing. I can’t imagine how any sports could be played this summer. 

The NBA is trying to figure out if it’s possible to run playoffs in an isolated arena in Vegas in front of no fans. They’re not sure that’s even doable.

I wonder if some will cancel their contracts and restructure their leagues.  I wonder, nothing definitive, if they might say we will play but only use players that live near our facility.  My son is supposed to play near us and stay with us along with two other teammates.  I just think they may say we are bringing in kids who have their own lodging because of the number of host families that will drop out.  I cannot imagine a host family would consider taking in a player from one of the hot spots and a lot of the host families are older couples who fall into the vulnerable group.  I think if the leagues do not have ball but some of the bans are lifted then there will be spring up leagues by parents and others just to give guys a chance to play.   Even if it is not as competitive.

PitchingFan posted:

I wonder if some will cancel their contracts and restructure their leagues.  I wonder, nothing definitive, if they might say we will play but only use players that live near our facility.  My son is supposed to play near us and stay with us along with two other teammates.  I just think they may say we are bringing in kids who have their own lodging because of the number of host families that will drop out.  I cannot imagine a host family would consider taking in a player from one of the hot spots and a lot of the host families are older couples who fall into the vulnerable group.  I think if the leagues do not have ball but some of the bans are lifted then there will be spring up leagues by parents and others just to give guys a chance to play.   Even if it is not as competitive.

Hoping for an antibody test. Then we would know who had the virus, and who has not. This needs to happen ASAP to save our economy. Those that have active immunity are no longer a risk to themselves and others. 

This is just my expectation, based upon nothing other than our experience and discussions with the management of the 11 teams in our league. While our teams can disagree at times, it was 100% unanimous sentiment to cancel the season. A couple thought perhaps a 2-3 week "wait and see" period might work but we saw nothing but an ugly virus tide coming our way.     Based on today's information, and things could change, I will be surprised if any leagues play this summer.   I am a lawyer by trade (hate me if you must  ) and have clients that will not walk outside their homes for any reason and many are truly scared to be exposed, knowing that with an already compromised body, this virus is a one way ticket home.   With that feeling shared by many, I can't imagine anybody chancing going to public events for a long time.

"I cannot imagine a host family would consider taking in a player from one of the hot spots"

Still in denial.  "Hot spots." So, tell me about those hot spots. Would that be where we're testing? Are there hot spots where we aren't testing?  How about just a spin of the roulette wheel - that's about as accurate.

UNTIL WE IMPLEMENT WIDESPREAD TESTING OF A REPRESENTATIVE SAMPLE OF THE POPULATION  - THOSE WITH SYMPTOMS AND THOSE WITHOUT - we are fighting this battle completely and totally blind. And widespread testing is quite away off into the future.

For example, while California is often mentioned as having had some success, when you have tested amongst the lowest per capita in the US (like California), its sheer hubris to make any claim about success. (See, e.g., More than 1 million people tested for coronavirus in US, but access varies from state to state - https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/0...id-19-screening.html)

Four weeks ago, we were told that 4 million tests A WEEK were here. As of yesterday, total test results were a bit above a million. Yesterday, about 115k test results were logged - the testing number has basically plateaued while the number of infections continues on an exponential path.

THE ENTIRE COUNTRY IS A HOT SPOT AND SHOULD BE CONSIDERED THAT WAY UNTIL TESTING GETS SERIOUS.

The immunity question is more interesting. But, I'm surprised a consensus hasn't emerged: we just dont know if any immunity is conferred  AND, if so, for how long? 

Now, I find comfort in knowing that the entire human race's brain power is focused on this disease. Give our scientists, medical professionals, engineers time and we humans will figure it out. But when every day seems like a month, time is quite elastic.

Last edited by Goosegg

Maybe a little denial as there are no cases in our county or within 30 miles of us, diagnosed.  I do think it came through here in January and February as we had a lot of cases of people with all the symptoms and were tested for flu and failed the flu test but they called it flu.  Even many put in ICU.  I just know there is a paranoia around here of the "hot spots" as the government and news call them.  I realize that most of the populated spots in the US are really hot spots because of closeness in every area and those of us in rural America are fortunate in this maybe because we are not being tested very much and our social distancing is easier than the highly populated areas.  We have social distancing as a lifestyle.  As one of my friends said, I live in social distancing in the tree stand, turkey blind, and fishing boat.  I work with four guys every day and won't go anywhere where there is more than 25 in any confined area.  We have a close set of friends and do not ever get in a crowd of more than 100 people at any event.  So yes, my definition of hot spot would be different than many.  I can't think of a time that in the past 3 months that I have been in a crowd of more than 100-200 people at any given time.  Even at the college game I stayed off to myself and never sat shoulder to shoulder with anyone.  Not minimizing the results of it but as I told someone this morning it is different when you don't know anyone who has had it for sure and you have no confirmed cases within a 30 minute drive. 

"We have a close set of friends and do not ever get in a crowd of more than 100 people at any event."

So, you have a test which can determine which of those 100 are infected?  Which one is the asymptomatic spreader? Which one went to the choir practice a few days before, sat six feet apart, but somehow got infected? (Yes, it's happened with multiple dead so far.)

Do know which of those 100 are observing social distancing? How? Is there a different transmission mechanism for close friends, as opposed to the cashier at Safeway?

You really dont get it. If the entire country would observe the basic PH rules, this would be over in two weeks. Obviously, that is impossible as we need firefighters, police, hospital workers, Amazon fulfillment centers all up and operating; but if everyone else (i.e., non-essentials) did observe PH rules, 4 weeks is what it would take.

Now tell me how long it would take if everyone socialized with close friends and in groups limited to 100? Perhaps when herd immunity arrives is when that time arrives.

Doing a little change of behavior doesnt and wont cut it. Doing a huge change of behaviors will.

Normally, I could care less what someone does which doesnt impact me. But, here, you've just written that you've changed behavior, but still simply ignore health experts.

I am not picking on you; where I'm hunkered down (in a rural area), I see groups of people jogging, biking, hiking, with not a care in the world. Its because of these people that we will be sheltered for 2 months, three months, instead of 4 weeks. And everyday were sheltered, is another day ALL OF US blow through our savings.

Weeks ago, I pondered how bad it would be to follow Italy's track. Today, I wish we were following Italy.

Americans are a skeptical, ornery people who learn slowly. It appears our lesson will be 100k dead in just a few months.

We are only as strong as our weakest Public Health link.

Miswrote or misread.  I’ve not been in a group of 10 for last month.  I’m saying we rarely ever, even before this, are in a group of 100.  I’ve not seen any groups here other than grocery Lowe’s or Walmart.  All fields shut down, all churches going fb live, no sports for three weeks, no hangout spots or entertainment open for three weeks.  We are doing what we are supposed to do but don’t see the effects of Coronavirus other than tv.  My fear is that because we have none, people will give up the isolation early.  No offense taken.  We are doing it right, right now, because it is easier in rural America.  We live in somewhat isolation.  

Last edited by PitchingFan
Pedaldad posted:

There is no chance for any summer leagues this year, especially the Cape.   Location, Location, Location!  Additionally, no college coaches are letting their top returning guys go pitch with potentially 3 months off training or poor conditioning.

I never even thought about coaches not allowing it. Please don’t burst my bubble again.

I understand "hotspot" can also mean diagnosed infections, but since testing impacts that number, I focus more on where the strain on the system has potential to overwhelm the HCS. 

And the patients needing acute care today are totally dependent upon what we all were doing about 14-21 days ago. Not enough of the country was acting then; now, we're coming around and we know it takes about 14 days for the growth rate to stop growing. (Because Italy did it.) We still dont know how to drive the growth rate negative, though. (Because Italy hasn't yet done it.) 

Believe it or not, I'm coming around to summer ball.

It's all about time. On the baseball side (business like hosts), on the player side (who has kept their arm in shape), on the school side (do you want him to play); on the virus side (above).

I cant see the calendar working out. But I see other things beginning to stir during mid-summer; MLB? NBA?

But, it all depends upon April containing and mitigating the virus, which, in turn, depends upon social compliance.

I don't live in what one would call a "hotspot", just a place where they hardly test anyone, and people are incredibly stupid.  Our local paper ran a story about someone who recently went on a cruise to Florida, came home and wasn't feeling great, thought she might have the virus.  So, what did she do?  She went to the supermarket.  Wow, thanks a lot.  And, the point of the story was that they refused to test her, because she couldn't say she had been in contact with someone already diagnosed.  No duh (as we used to say when I was a kid).  So, I wonder how many people she infected, who won't be tested for the same reason?  No wonder our numbers are low where I am.

PitchingFan posted:

I think if the leagues do not have ball but some of the bans are lifted then there will be spring up leagues by parents and others just to give guys a chance to play.   Even if it is not as competitive.

If summer leagues start up, what would a team do when they have 20 sick players all at once?  It doesn't seem feasible, host families or not.  I hope things get under control, and I hope this happens.  I guess if they are living at home and all get sick, then that's better?

We need the antibody test; if it turns out that a lot more people have had it than we thought, then everything will get going again.  But, in the meantime we wait, and by Fridays, everyone is pretty crazy (on this site, in my house, etc.).

bandera posted:

Any updates on Cape or other summer leagues?

Massachusetts doesn’t hit peak for about eight days. I can’t imagine anyone is thinking about when baseball can resume. Would you want your kid in a host home this summer? Or in reverse, would you want to host players?

Last edited by RJM
RJM posted:
bandera posted:

Massachusetts doesn’t hit peak for about eight days. I can’t imagine anyone is thinking about when baseball can resume. Would you want your kid in a host home this summer? Or in reverse, would you want to host players?

I think it’s too early to answer that question. 

I just spoke to a good friend of mine  who lives on the cape and decided not to host.  He still gets weekly emails from the CCBL after their weekly meetings. He told me a lot goes into  making a decision, which involves state and local health and government services.

He said if he hears anything, will let me know.

RJM posted:
bandera posted:

I’ve allowed my kids go off and do things that make me nervous, because they’re out of site and control.  I do so, while advising them to be smart, make good decisions, be aware of your surroundings, etc.

If summer ball is open, it’s because we’re making progress, so, yes, I would allow my son to play if he was comfortable with it.  Same advice will apply.

Last edited by CTbballDad
CTbballDad posted:
RJM posted:
bandera posted:

I’ve allowed my kids go off and do things that make me nervous, because they’re out of site and control.  I do so, while advising them to be smart, make good decisions, be aware of your surroundings, etc.

If summer ball is open, it’s because we’re making progress, so, yes, I would allow my son to play if he was comfortable with it.  Same advice will apply.

Would you allow your son to make the decision regarding whether he’s safe at a host family’s home? How would he know? 

RJM posted:
CTbballDad posted:
RJM posted:
bandera posted:

Would you allow your son to make the decision regarding whether he’s safe at a host family’s home? How would he know? 

I’m reluctant to answer your question as I’m not interested in continuing the endless back and forth that has taken over this site.  The point of my original response was, COVID or something else, our kids can be confronted in unsafe situations.  If COVID were completely eradicated next week, they could still be confronted with dangers at a host family, college dorm, etc.

We all want our kids to be safe, but they need to learn how on their own.  So yes, once he’s back on his own, whether at a host family or back in the dorm in September, we’ll talk to him about things to look out for and how to address them.

I think it could be redone to where a lot of the leagues might not be as competitive but could be done regionally.  My son is supposed to play in NC right across the line from SC.  We are having two of his teammates stay with us so that is 3 players already and 2 of the three are 2 way guys.  If that team redid their rosters to include most players within an hour drive you would not need hardly any host families.  That would easily be done with the number of players that are P5 in this area.  It does not solve the ultimate problems but it would solve the host family problems.  The thing to remember is that MLB does not make most of their money off of tickets but tv.  These leagues make all of their money off of advertising and tickets.  So it won't help if they get players but don't get fans and if they get players and fans but lose their advertising due to economy. 

I don't see any summer ball happening, mainly because players come from all over the country to every league.  So do the coaches, so do the scouts.

That's how this mess started in the first place, right?  If I am a HC, I more than likely would want my players not to travel and come back to school having not been exposed.

JMO

game7 posted:
RJM posted:

Italian data indicates a low risk for healthy young people, so I would be fine with any decision my son made.

As a healthy sixty year old hanging out in a small state (ME) I don’t feel threatened. Given the number of healthy people that have died (1) I’m three times more likely to be killed crossing the street.

But in reverse, would you just let some kid arrive from anywhere and host him under these circumstances if you live in one of the COVID hot zones (MA) with a paper (Boston Globe) who has been covering COVID like it’s the end of the world. 

Last edited by RJM

this is the most encouraging news I have seen in a while.

Updated 4/13/2020

The Cape Cod Baseball League is continuing to monitor the  updates from local, state, and federal  officials on what we may expect in the coming days, weeks, and months ahead. At this time, our hope is to start the 2020 season as scheduled on Saturday June 13, 2020.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.