Skip to main content

If the VA-MSU game holds its a perfect example of how one team may be better on paper and a hot pitcher can ruin their season. Not that VA is a bunch of stiffs. But MSU was a home seed for Super Regionals. VA was #39 in RPI.

Edit: Talk about the wheels coming off! From no hitter to behind in one out.

Last edited by RJM

The CWS has to come up with a better replay approach. Maybe the umpires could stay on the field with the HPU holding a red/green indicator. Someone in the booth is watching close plays as they happen. The booth buzzes the HPU. Green light the play stands. Red light it’s overturned. Or limit the number of replays that can be requested.

It’s not so much about watchability as flow of the game and momentum for the pitcher. Pitchers shouldn’t have to stand around waiting for replays so frequently.

@TPM posted:

Fenway must be in hiding. UVA ahead by 4 in the 6th. Anything is possible but the pitcher is THE MAN tonight.

To the contrary.   I knew something was going to happen late in the game to make this more exciting.   The MSU offense was making more and more hard contact as the game went on.   However, I did not expect an end to a no-hitter like that when it did happen, and I didn't expect the UVA bullpen to fall apart.   I do think the UVA bullpen was getting squeezed by the umpire, but far be it for me to defend the Cavaliers.   There will no meatloaf this year, if they continue to blow leads like that!

I do feel bad for McGarry and especially his parents.  I know what that feels like.  He certainly did his job and gave UVA an opportunity to win that game.

@adbono posted:

Unbelievable ending in Vandy/Stanford game. Gotta feel for the kid on the mound for Stanford at the end of the game. What a gut punch to end your season on a wild pitch in the CWS.

No matter who I am rooting for, when you know a kid feels he had it all on his shoulders, I always feel terrible for them.  The picture of Kershaw in the dugout with his head in his hands comes to mind.  It's someone's kid out there and it's something you can't make better.

@CTbballDad posted:

Feel terrible for Stanford, but man, you can't throw Vaz back to back breaking balls up 1-2.  The kid is no threat to put it out of the park, so I'm challenging him with that 95 MPH heater.  The game was lost on those 2 pitches IMHO.

I agree. I don’t understand why he wasn’t attacking the hitter. Then the shortstop compounds the issue trying to do too much with his throw.

Up until that point Vanderbilt had handed Stanford the game with early, sloppy play. In the end Stanford handed the game back. 

@baseballhs posted:

No matter who I am rooting for, when you know a kid feels he had it all on his shoulders, I always feel terrible for them.  The picture of Kershaw in the dugout with his head in his hands comes to mind.  It's someone's kid out there and it's something you can't make better.

I haven’t even booed a professional player as long as they’re making an effort since my kid got ripped in a local paper. It’s when it hit home that’s someone’s kid out there.

It is a team sport but there is usually a player that feels the weight...justified or not.  I hate to hear any kid getting heckled.  I hate when people from our team do it.  It is a kid out there...doing his best.   How many people have strangers yelling at them and judging them while they do their job.  That said, this is the greatest sport to watch.  I got choked up a few times watching highlights from games the past few days.  Great stories and watching guys put it all out there.  It's pretty cool.

@baseballhs posted:

It is a team sport but there is usually a player that feels the weight...justified or not.  I hate to hear any kid getting heckled.  I hate when people from our team do it.  It is a kid out there...doing his best.   How many people have strangers yelling at them and judging them while they do their job.  That said, this is the greatest sport to watch.  I got choked up a few times watching highlights from games the past few days.  Great stories and watching guys put it all out there.  It's pretty cool.

Hey, you bum! That’s the second time you’ve dropped your pen today. What’s next? Spilling your coffee?

@TPM posted:

My son lost the last game in Omaha.

He and his teammates felt bad for about a day, maybe less

Baseball is a team sport, or used to be.  You can't blame it on one player.  The coaches have to take responsibility as well.

JMO

Totally agree. Son & I have had lots of conversations after lost games where we both point out all the different ways that they could have won. Player X gets a better jump on a ball and turns a double into a single, player Y doesn't get rung up on that ball that was clearly outside the zone. When he was young and frustrated with a player, it helped him see the bigger picture. And as he's gotten older, it's helped him keep the "every play matters" mentality, and remember that lost opportunities are just as costly as errors.

How Vandy and or Stanford don’t win every year is crazy. Endless money, and incredible institutions. I know baseball, the factors, upsets and  pull against them for that reason if given the chance. It’s interesting to see teams that Clemson handled while son was there are back in the CWS and Clemson not make a regional this year. As I reminisce about the glory days, I think 2017 was a legitimate shot to make a run for them and we fell short. Love the action and feel of the CWS and miss that environment.

@Shoveit4Ks posted:

How Vandy and or Stanford don’t win every year is crazy. Endless money, and incredible institutions. I know baseball, the factors, upsets and  pull against them for that reason if given the chance. It’s interesting to see teams that Clemson handled while son was there are back in the CWS and Clemson not make a regional this year. As I reminisce about the glory days, I think 2017 was a legitimate shot to make a run for them and we fell short. Love the action and feel of the CWS and miss that environment.

If you look at Vandys pitching stats, you will see that it was uneven across the board.  Plus, they had a tough time with offense.

Clemson will be back on top. They had a tough year due to Covid, just like a lot of programs did.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.