Skip to main content

Each team has about 5 levels, some 6.  At 25 per roster figure it out.

milb contracts are for 6-7 (not sure which) years, to be broken at anytime. Most guys if not in ML by 4-5 years and not on the 40 and reach a certain age limit,  are out, either by their choosing or the teams.

It is not your most stable environment for employment.

JMO

Originally Posted by 10-22:

Would be an interesting stat to see what the turnover rate is in milb.

10-22,

Each year, each each team drafts 40 players and signs most of them, plus they sign about half as many from Latin America.  That's your numerator.

TPM's info tells you how many MiLB slots there are.  That's your denominator.

Each new player coming into the system who finds a roster spot forces another player out of the system. which means the annual turnover rate is probably somewhere around 40%.

The math is relentless against these guys.

10-22   I am not sure of ball players in the minors.  I ran across these figures a while back on the odds of playing up at each level and kept it.  Very simplistic but gives kids an idea of the road ahead.  TwoTex and swampboy have it narrowed down for you though.
I live in the D/FW Texas area and there are ALOT of pros, ex pro and minor league ball players around here.

24'sdad, just a curiosity, how many active players are there in the minors? I live in a small city (<300k) and there seem to be about a dozen former milb guys 30 or under around here. Would be an interesting stat to see what the turnover rate is in milb.

Originally Posted by 24'sdad:
10-22   I am not sure of ball players in the minors.  I ran across these figures a while back on the odds of playing up at each level and kept it.  Very simplistic but gives kids an idea of the road ahead.  TwoTex and swampboy have it narrowed down for you though.
I live in the D/FW Texas area and there are ALOT of pros, ex pro and minor league ball players around here.

24'sdad, just a curiosity, how many active players are there in the minors? I live in a small city (<300k) and there seem to be about a dozen former milb guys 30 or under around here. Would be an interesting stat to see what the turnover rate is in milb.

Given that there aren't new minor league teams popping up every year, there should be in the neighborhood of 1500 new unemployed professional baseball players every year, since that's the new number drafted.  Obviously, some of those guys don't sign, some FA do, and there are all the players from areas not eligible for the draft, but that's as good a starting point as any.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.