Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Baseball always takes back seat to the other sports. Look at Larry Rubama blog and you will see he is still talking football and basketball in March and April and never mentions baseball. Hmmm, wonder why?

quote:
Originally posted by E&HBaseball:
Why is it that the Pilot puts out the the Sport Preview on opening day for everyother sport this year until spring sports?
quote:
Originally posted by QuadAAAA:
Agree it is not on their website (yet?) but it is in today's paper.

Their (the Pilot) website says...

"In today's Virginian-Pilot, find out what you need to know as the Spring Sports season begins, with South Hampton Roads Top 10s and news and notes on baseball, softball, boys s****r and girls s****r.

The previews will be available for viewing online tomorrow."
You underestimate Jami's powers of observation. Last year, I am sure he saw Great Bridge and Nansemond River make the finals. Don't know what other games he saw during the year, but I have seen him at other games.

What should be the real issue is his choice for the top spot. The last two or three years, the pre season number one has not finished number one. For all the other teams (and their fans), that should be encouraging.
quote:
Originally posted by Go Dawgs:
I stand by my statement. Most of the information in the Pilot is what the coaches call in. The reporting on the Peninsula is much more thorough. It really doesn't take much eFfort to know Great Bridge and Nansemond River were in the Eastern Region final.

First time poster, here. I completely agree with you. Your argument is also represented by the fact that Great Bridge won LAST YEAR, and they happen to be ranked ahead of Nansemond River, this year. Now, Great Bridge may well win the district. The Southeastern is as tough as nails. But if The Pilot had done any homework at all, they would have recognized that Nansemond River is receiving national recognition by both Perfect Game and ESPN. Great Bridge is not.

The beauty is...they get to play on the field, and all of this will work itself out in the end!
quote:
I stand by my statement. Most of the information in the Pilot is what the coaches call in. The reporting on the Peninsula is much more thorough. It really doesn't take much eFfort to know Great Bridge and Nansemond River were in the Eastern Region final.

Very correct. I saw some of the "stats" from the paper and one, in particular, was about 150 points off.
quote:
Originally posted by luv baseball:
In a one game deal will N. River have an answer for Conner Jones? South County didn't last year after ringing up everyone they played everywhere.

Connor will be tougher later in the year when he can run his pitch counts up to a complete game. I know Sean Townsend will keep a tighter leash on him early in the year.
Connor Jones will be tough. It will be up to NR's pitchers to keep a lid on GB hitters as well in those matchups. But my post on this subject really relates to the Pilot's coverage rather than the top ten teams and who should be #1. If you didn't know anything about SED baseball and read the preview you would think the district only had 7 teams.
Churchland sure does have to prove ALOT for The Pilot to ever put them on any list. We will see how the team progresses this year after loosing so many seniors last year. However just to state a fact they beat #7 Greenbrier Christian 6-5 on March 8th, 2012.

After last year I do not have high hopes they will be moved up very fast if they keep winning. This is after watching how long it took them to get moved up the list little by little last year, win after win after win.

I guess all that really matters is that they proved themselves by being the team that played Great Bridge in the Regional finals last year.
quote:
Originally posted by EyeOnHmPlt:
Churchland sure does have to prove ALOT for The Pilot to ever put them on any list. We will see how the team progresses this year after loosing so many seniors last year. However just to state a fact they beat #7 Greenbrier Christian 6-5 on March 8th, 2012.

After last year I do not have high hopes they will be moved up very fast if they keep winning. This is after watching how long it took them to get moved up the list little by little last year, win after win after win.

I guess all that really matters is that they proved themselves by being the team that played Great Bridge in the Regional finals last year.

Don't want to rain on your parade...but I will since we are stating facts. Churchland "beat" GCA in a scrimmage that had no umpires (the coaches called the game from behind the mound) and they faced only one senior pitcher who had never thrown an inning until this year/ that scrimmage. The first two pitchers (don't know the names but one being the senior) held Churchland to one run for the first 4 innings of the scrimmage when it was 5 to zip. The GCA coaches took out all of their number one players (for the most part) after the 4th inning for the remainder of the scrimmage to give their back-ups some playing time (mostly Sophs and Jrs with not much experience). None of their top tier pitchers ever threw a pitch during the scrimmage because the GCA team had a double header two days later against Benedictine and another private school that Saturday in Richmond. I imagine the GCA coaches believed it was more important to have their top 4 guys ready for Saturday's "real" games with "real" umpires calling balls and strikes vice burning them in a scrimmage on Thursday that meant absolutely nothing. I think they were even batting 13 or 14 in the line-up. Makes it kind of hard to get to your better hitters if they are batting 13. By the way, the kids that pitched the last two innings gave up only one or two hits as all the runs came from walks or by batters who were hit by pitches. So 5 runs in the last inning because the GCA kids that were throwing couldn't find the strike zone or had never pitched before (or both). I wouldn't even expect that these players that pitched the last few innings see many more innings this year.

Bottom line: GCA beats that team like a drum in a real game where Coach Lavelle is playing to win. Churchland is not anywhere close to being as talented as they were last year and will get hammered their first game in the regional if (a big IF) they even make it out of the Eastern district. By the way... Welcome to the High School Baseball Web.
Last edited by mathews41
quote:
quote:

Churchland didn't play Great Bridge or reach the Regional final last year.

My recollection is that Churchland was beaten by Nansemond River in an Eastern Regional semi-final and it was Nansemond River which advanced to the final to play Great Bridge in an all-SED Regional final.
quote:
Originally posted by WB Reporter:
quote:
quote:

Churchland didn't play Great Bridge or reach the Regional final last year.

My recollection is that Churchland was beaten by Nansemond River in an Eastern Regional semi-final and it was Nansemond River which advanced to the final to play Great Bridge in an all-SED Regional final.

your recollection...good one!
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by redbird5:
Inspiring coverage of yesterday's action. Full details of the Maury game and nothing else. Pretty sad.

And somehow Nansemond River lost to Salem while simultaneously beating Deep Creek.

The Pilotonline version shows Salem beating Tallwood so someone must have realized the error.
The Pilot has Kellam ranked number one in the Tidewater for the second straight week and Western Branch at number two. Followed by NR/ Hickory and then GB

I have not seen the bracket but it looks like Kellam against the SED in the championship. That will be a game to watch as any one of those teams are capable of winning.
quote:
Originally posted by mathews41:
The Pilot has Kellam ranked number one in the Tidewater for the second straight week and Western Branch at number two. Followed by NR/ Hickory and then GB

I have not seen the bracket but it looks like Kellam against the SED in the championship. That will be a game to watch as any one of those teams are capable of winning.

Unless of course, an SED team gets matched up with Kellam prior to the Championship. That would be interesting!
It is always interesting to compare your prognostications with reality. Pilot's preseason predictions on left and mid season poll on right.

1. Great Bridge 1. Hickory
2. Kellam 2. Western Branch
3. Nansemond River 3. Kellam
4. Cape Henry 4. Nansemond River
5. Salem 5. Great Bridge
6. Western Branch 6. First Colonial
7. Greenbrier Christian 7. Greenbrier Christian
8. Maury 8. Cape Henry
9. First Colonial 9. Cox
10. Cox 10. Maury

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.