Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by GoingwiththePitch:
The only thing that angers is me is both these teams were cheap and for whatever reason didn't build sufficient stadiums for a Super Regional, aka I don't think they have lights. I played at both fields and they were nice little stadiums but they really weren't "Super Regional" quality. It is too bad because both schools probably lost A LOT of money for their towns and school this weekend by not being able to host. By being cheap they probably lost money.

Who do you think gets to keep the gate fees?

That was some game, and easy to understand why UVA held onto the #1 spot for weeks.
Last edited by TPM
quote:
bsbl247 said....The Anteaters gave UVA all they could handle, but they never backed down and kept swinging it...Congratulations to the Virginia Cavaliers and best of luck in Omaha.

Yes they did, and that was the most exciting college game I've ever seen. Just unbelievable. I knew somehow Coleman would get a hit, the guy is a hitting machine. Shiflett running for Coleman is a no brainer. I thought O'Connor would give Shiflett the green light to try to steal second, but he held him back. Then King, then Gragnini pitch hits for Werman and get 4 straight balls. Then Taylor drives them in. Incredible

I'm very, very impressed with the 'Eaters players and their coaches. Heck they came from behind yesterday with a freshmen pitcher, and brought in another freshmen (lefty) that baffled the Cavaliers for 4 or 5 innings. Very disciplined and opportunistic team. I can see easily why they win....they play very smart and within themselves.
What a fantastic finish to UVA! That my friend is what college baseball is all about.

In response to TPM, the amount of revenue that these events bring in is staggering. Forget about what just the school directly makes from tickets, concessions, and merchandise, but think about how valuable it is for 1,000's of fans and many more on TV to see YOUR campus in the spotlight. That brand name marketing is invaluable. Then add on what the surrounding area makes in airfare, rentals, food, hotels, and entertainment, and you are talking about A LOT of money.

Ken Jacobi

Author of "Going with the Pitch: Adjusting to Baseball, School, and Life as a Division I College Athlete"

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.