The Senior Commitment Dilemma , Questions and AZ Fall Senior Academic report..

Myself and 2019 RHP just got back from rain shortened The AZ Senior Fall Showcase .  

It was a good experience:  Last year he attended the Junior Fall Showcase and tried out for the academic game and came up a little short.   

After many trials and tribulations over the past year we decided to give it a go again this year.  

The tryouts were crazy with probably 100 scouts watching .  This year they only had 2 pitchers throwing in the bullpen at once while being filmed at the same time (no more filming after the tryouts) . 

They had the kids throw 3 FB , 3 offspeed, 1 fp, 3 Changeups then finish with 1 fb...   11 pitches only.

Son thought he did well but we didn't get confirmation till when they posted the lineups for the Academic game at 2 pm.   The Game itself was a cool deal and Son did great.  After the game we got some positive feedback from a decent amount of schools (though some we had never heard of before ,lol).  He pitched 1 inning with his team yesterday and did well but the rains came and flooded everything out

Since this is our first and only time through this process here is the dilemma and questions:

Some background first-We have a good offer from a mid major D1 in an area(several states away) that son hadn't previously had on his list. After the official visit, we had very good feeling and son has a great relationship with pitching coach(hard to put a price tag on that)

With a few other schools in the mix(son is adamant about D1) -  when should we decide by and how long do we have to make that decision?   I know NLI day is Nov 14th.. but what is typical for commitment and signing period?   We are not doing the traditional school application route. 

Son would like to explore some more local school options (california) but thus far we havent gotten any real love(visit worthy) yet from state D1's..  Though he has been steadily progressing on the mound over past year with high upside.  How much time do we have to make a decision? 

As far as applications: Do your kids also fill out the traditional applications-or do you wait till you commit and get a NLI from the baseball schools?

 

Thank you for your help!

 

 

 

 

Original Post

I'll break this down by question to make it easier than typing long paragraphs 

 

With a few other schools in the mix(son is adamant about D1) -  when should we decide by and how long do we have to make that decision? 

You should be deciding now. Now as in, by the end of this coming calendar week. Yeah you can probably hold out a little longer, but you don't want to find out 10 days before signing day that the offer is no longer standing and have zero D1 options. 

I know NLI day is Nov 14th.. but what is typical for commitment and signing period?   We are not doing the traditional school application route. 

Honestly none of this is typical. 99% of D1s have their 2019 class set already. Many have already brought the entire class up for their official already. At this point most schools are focused on their own fall ball, wrapping up fall recruiting, and getting NLI prepared. I'm not quite sure what you mean by not doing traditional application. 

Son would like to explore some more local school options (california) but thus far we havent gotten any real love(visit worthy) yet from state D1's.. 

If it hasn't happened, its not going to happen. For reasons stated above

How much time do we have to make a decision? 

If you have interest from schools, but they still haven't offered. Call them this week, tell them you have a good offer from a D1 that you are considering accepting. They will either have you up for a visit and offer you or congratulate you and wish you luck. If the other schools in the mix have already made offers, make a decision. I would not wait longer than Friday, unless you are invited for visits. 

As far as applications: Do your kids also fill out the traditional applications-or do you wait till you commit and get a NLI from the baseball schools?

You typically wait until you commit (Doesn't make sense to apply to a school you won't be attending). You still have to apply to the school traditionally. Contact the coach and see if there is anything he needs to do/needs you to do (there will be). Applications are due for most schools Nov 1. I know it seems like there is still a lot of time (one month until signing day), but most of the paperwork and ceremonial stuff is set up 2 weeks in advance. I would say by next weekend your son should know where he is going, be finishing up an application, and setting up a signing ceremony at school. 

PABaseball posted:

I'll break this down by question to make it easier than typing long paragraphs 

 

With a few other schools in the mix(son is adamant about D1) -  when should we decide by and how long do we have to make that decision? 

You should be deciding now. Now as in, by the end of this coming calendar week. Yeah you can probably hold out a little longer, but you don't want to find out 10 days before signing day that the offer is no longer standing and have zero D1 options. 

I know NLI day is Nov 14th.. but what is typical for commitment and signing period?   We are not doing the traditional school application route. 

Honestly none of this is typical. 99% of D1s have their 2019 class set already. Many have already brought the entire class up for their official already. At this point most schools are focused on their own fall ball, wrapping up fall recruiting, and getting NLI prepared. I'm not quite sure what you mean by not doing traditional application. 

Son would like to explore some more local school options (california) but thus far we havent gotten any real love(visit worthy) yet from state D1's.. 

If it hasn't happened, its not going to happen. For reasons stated above

How much time do we have to make a decision? 

If you have interest from schools, but they still haven't offered. Call them this week, tell them you have a good offer from a D1 that you are considering accepting. They will either have you up for a visit and offer you or congratulate you and wish you luck. If the other schools in the mix have already made offers, make a decision. I would not wait longer than Friday, unless you are invited for visits. 

As far as applications: Do your kids also fill out the traditional applications-or do you wait till you commit and get a NLI from the baseball schools?

You typically wait until you commit (Doesn't make sense to apply to a school you won't be attending). You still have to apply to the school traditionally. Contact the coach and see if there is anything he needs to do/needs you to do (there will be). Applications are due for most schools Nov 1. I know it seems like there is still a lot of time (one month until signing day), but most of the paperwork and ceremonial stuff is set up 2 weeks in advance. I would say by next weekend your son should know where he is going, be finishing up an application, and setting up a signing ceremony at school. 

Thank you for your detailed answers PA baseball!  

wow- this speeds up our thought process!

I know that most school have their 2019's filled up already but we have gotten some feedback from some D1's that they have some room still.  Of course I guess the word "room" can be broad.  Son definately doesn't want to go down the Late signing route in early spring when a spot here or there needs to be filled (though I think it could work out in his case but its a gamble) .  

Just a quick secondary question-At the AZ senior there was broad representation from many D1 schools- why are they there if their roster all/most spots are filled and they are in midst of fall ball?  

thanks

Re AZ, last year my son played in the junior and senior fall classics  . . . a few factors may be in play to drive D1 attendance at the Senior Classic:

(1) The Senior Fall Classic weekend also has a JUCO component: https://azfallclassic.com/jc-all-star-series/   so it may be that the D1s are in town to see some of those players

(2) The Senior Fall Classic has some sophomores and juniors playing -- I recall specifically seeing PAC12 schools at a game last year, but they were watching an underclass scout team and specifically a sophomore pitcher

(3) There are always pop-up uncommitted seniors -- last year there was an unranked SoCal RHP sitting 92-94 who got a lot of attention. (He ended up going pro)

(4) The senior and junior classics are back-to-back weekends, so some of the out-of-state D1s come for both.

"We have a good offer from a mid major D1 in an area(several states away) that son hadn't previously had on his list. After the official visit, we had very good feeling and son has a great relationship with pitching coach hard to put a price tag on that"

Why hasn't your son accepted this offer? He's a 2019....it's LATE.

StrainedOblique posted:

"We have a good offer from a mid major D1 in an area(several states away) that son hadn't previously had on his list. After the official visit, we had very good feeling and son has a great relationship with pitching coach hard to put a price tag on that"

Why hasn't your son accepted this offer? He's a 2019....it's LATE.

Gotta agree with this.....UNLESS you have had some "fairly serious discussions" with another school that he REALLY likes.  At this point, if his top 5 schools aren't in serious talks with him, it's likely that they aren't going to happen.  I would second the above...if it's a good school, your son likes it and he likes the PC, I guess I don't understand what he's waiting on

Every day you wait the clock is ticking towards NLI signing day. Eventually the coach is going to send someone on his list of prospects a package. Your son isn’t the only one on his prospect list. The coach has a backup plan.

My concern with an offer this late in the process is being the 35th player on the team. It’s not as if the coach is beating down your door to get him to sign. But if this is the school you want I would commit before he makes an offer to someone else and they commit. 

As others have mentioned, if the other schools haven't offered by now, I wouldn't wait on them.  This is mainly because of the situation.  Timing is of the essence.  

I am a bird in hand kind of guy, and you can't measure what "might" come.  When Ryno committed, it was about this same time in the process, and he had visited another major school the week before, and another visit to a major school was planned for the following week.  These were all official visits.  The coach told him that he had other offers out there, and the first one to accept would get the offer.  Frankly, I am a little surprised the HC didn't give you a similar ultimatum.  

If your son likes the school, it offers the academics he needs, etc., I would quit fooling around and accept the offer.  I wouldn't want to get caught holding the bag.

thank you Everyone for their thoughts which all seemed to be in line with my thinking. 

Son asked PC last night and he thought he should commit.  Son asked paid sports recruiter guy and got a different answer though.  He said that based on Son's late blooming , there are always kids who sign in  winter-spring and there are more spots than you would think. 

While this sounds possible, it seems too risky to me... "A bird in the hand"....

On another note,  I came to Abacoa in Jupiter(from left coast) yesterday looking at a real estate deal and happened onto the WWBA accidently.  I was like what is going on here?   then I put 2+2 together and parked the car and snuck in  lol.  I couldn't believe all the scouts.  every mlb team had 5-10 scouts and despite what many have said in other posts there were hundreds of college scouts.  It was a wow moment for me.  

"Son asked paid sports recruiter guy and got a different answer though.  He said that based on Son's late blooming , there are always kids who sign in  winter-spring and there are more spots than you would think"

If by late bloomer you mean - started throwing 96 last week. Then you need to have him on a flight to meet you in Jupiter and tape a sign to his back that says "Uncommitted 2019 96mph" 

Kidding aside this just isn't accurate information. D1 coaches are done going to showcases and games looking for 2019s. Always be wary of the sports recruiters, especially if they've never seen your kid play. If you're being billed monthly or semi annually this sounds like they're trying to squeeze a few more checks out of you. On Nov 15, there will be almost no scholarships remaining. Especially at some of the big local CA schools which are on the national scene every year and account for draft when recruiting. 

As for the offer. Your son is going to miss application deadlines if he does not make a decision soon. It is late. Very late. Coaches and ADs are preparing paperwork for their end of the NLI. You're really playing with fire and risk losing the only offer you have for something that will likely never happen

Agree with PABaseball...what are you waiting for? The only signal you are sending the only school to offer you is "Well, we really want something else." You said the kid liked the school, pitching coach, etc. It's time to _____ or get off the pot.

Schools also know that any kid who isn't signed during the early signing period are likely to be desperate for an offer during the regular signing period. Even if they have one of their recruits get drafted and sign a pro contract, they may still low-ball you on the offer and try to sweeten the deal for a returning guy or another kid. You are literally flirting with your own fate here.

GaryMe posted:

Schools also know that any kid who isn't signed during the early signing period are likely to be desperate for an offer during the regular signing period.

I thought the signing period for everything but football and basketball had now been collapsed into one long period from November to August. Did I read that wrong somewhere?

PABaseball posted:

"Son asked paid sports recruiter guy and got a different answer though.  He said that based on Son's late blooming , there are always kids who sign in  winter-spring and there are more spots than you would think"

If by late bloomer you mean - started throwing 96 last week. Then you need to have him on a flight to meet you in Jupiter and tape a sign to his back that says "Uncommitted 2019 96mph" 

Kidding aside this just isn't accurate information. D1 coaches are done going to showcases and games looking for 2019s. Always be wary of the sports recruiters, especially if they've never seen your kid play. If you're being billed monthly or semi annually this sounds like they're trying to squeeze a few more checks out of you. On Nov 15, there will be almost no scholarships remaining. Especially at some of the big local CA schools which are on the national scene every year and account for draft when recruiting. 

As for the offer. Your son is going to miss application deadlines if he does not make a decision soon. It is late. Very late. Coaches and ADs are preparing paperwork for their end of the NLI. You're really playing with fire and risk losing the only offer you have for something that will likely never happen

That is funny  96 and wear a shirt that says that  . Love.the idea! Lol  now we just need the 96 part... he just hit 90 few weeks back but hey he is making significant progress since he went to a stretching coach a month back.  He was so unflexible before. 

I really love that Jupiter area but that ship has sailed . Almost moved there 8 years ago but now kids are almost grown blah blah.. would of been cool to be so close to baseball mecca..

I think son may actually commit this weekend  we shall see.  These conversations here helped greatly here 

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×