Skip to main content

At LT, the outfield should be the same as last year, Cannon, Weston, and McMurray. Pitching is good with a lefty / righty rotation (pitch selection and speed). The infield is a question mark due to losing some very, very good talent, Brewer and Kehr, along with Walsh. The juniors will be probably be called upon to tryout for all of the infield positions. redecoration We had fielding problems during the summer tournament season. Birks will be the main catcher, he is highly underrated!!! Great arm and defense. May be backed-up by Cannon again, who caught LT's two no-hitters during the spring and summer, but could also see a junior back there. noidea

Having said this, as you all know, nothing is "etched in stone" until the coach makes the final decision. The players still need to earn their positions on the field (I know, some of you already know who-will-be-playing-where), but I think that some players will be moved around.

Hitting should be just as good as last year, with just as much power, and a few suprises.

JMHO

Cool
Last edited by BoomerIL
Mike F:

quote:
Just something to talk about other than food (and Karma) during the interminable wait for the season to start.

Mike F

(Note to Gotwood & JT ...don't tell me the wait is inKARMAnable...this isn't the place).

Calm down Mike F...and no...this isn't the calm before the storm...there is no storm!

C'mon JT...we're apparently not wanted here. They just can't accommodate the likes of us.

We'll leave after I finish this tub of Karamel Korn.

Where is it written in the Magna Carta that you can't have fun? This isn't even close to Armageddon...don't you know!

Jt? Did you see that special on ESPN last night? That Karl Malone...what a player!

Put the Karmen Ghia in gear and let's go. Get a load of this traffic...you would need the Spanish Armada to blast your way through it!

rotlaugh.....what does LOL mean?
Last edited by gotwood4sale
i'd tap that.....

Let me clarify my statement to you. Brewer was special, no doubt, and McMurray did hit more than four, and everybody did have at least one. Based on what I saw this summer, high school and travel, I believe we could accomplish the same as last year. YES, I said "could accomplish".

You may know as well as me, that anything can happen. We most certainly can have fewer than last year, but we can also have more, or maybe stay around the same.

BUT, if you read what I posted, I said "power"!!! If that equates to homeruns, then let it do so. The power, or potential for it, is there. I can't predict who will and who won't hit homeruns, just know that the power is there. Besides, you should spend some time viewing as many college baseball websites as you can to see just how many homeruns are hit by any given player on a D1, D2, or D3 team, let alone the total number by a team. Of coarse, comparing apples-to-apples (comparable hitter level vs. comparable pitcher level).

You know "i'd tap that", LT did have some very good homerun numbers last year. Without Brewer, and we will miss him, we will get by. Who knows, with all of the talented pitchers out there, maybe last year we 'shot or wad'!!!!! noidea

greenwinky
I think this is going to be a great year for the public league, very strong. Yes, we do play baseball in the city too.

Lane returns 7 players from last years Regional Champs & City Champs. One of the top Jr. SS and RHP in the state.
Clemente is strong. Also one of the best Jr. SS in the state, strong Sr. leadership from some nice looking college prospects.
Harlan returns almost everyone from a team that lost to Lane in the City Championship and gave Rita all they could handle last year losing 2-1.
Whitney Young has one of the best arms in the area.
I know Leroy will have some nice players at Simeon.

We'll see, I can't wait to get outside.
I am tired of everyone bringing up that we beat teams 66-0 combined in our regional. First of all it was last year and guess what its about 5 weeks or so until it all starts up again.

Secondly it is not Ritas fault that the regional is set up that way. Not to put those teams down (because they just want to play ball like everyone else), but some of those kids dont even know the fundamentals of the game. Example: When we played Gage Park we had a guy on second with one out and the third baseman got a grounder, stepped on third and started to run towards his dugout.

Heres another thing we had our backups in, you tell me they want to just make outs to end the game when they haven't played all year and this is their last opportunity to play high school baseball.
Mustang 44,

You may not like "bring up" some of the scores
last year of St. Rita's wins but those scores had nothing to do about to about the talent of your opponents and everything to do with the ego of the head coach. No team should win by those scores unless by choice. As I stated before in other posts....last year was the year to make it to the championship round. Ryan White is gone. I will take it step rward....given the demographics of their recruitment base, St. Rita will follow the the historic demise of Luther. Not today but soon. Send your kid to Andrew, Stagg or Sandburg or St Rita's? Given the best EDUCATION OPTION...St Rita's....."no .... but they have a very nice football field. The baseball field is
terrible. I so love that "Harold"s chicken" is nearby. That should probly be another post....Harold's is one of the best chicken joints in the Chicago area.
St Rita's demise? This years team back when we were sophs/frosh our combined losses were under 10. Recruitment is fine and we keep bringing in solid players each year. No we do not have Ryne White. Our group can play better as a team than last years team and thats baseball. A team sport.

And Mista who did we laugh at? Not Harlan or Gage or Harper, at least I and mostly the rest of us did not, so dont judge a team for the arrogance of a few.
Mustang44,

Thanks for the insight. Some situations in life cannot be overcome due to the power and position of those who direct and lead. That is life.

A quick ditti...while in high school during the National Anthem, a number of my teammates/friends were cracking jokes. I pulled them aside after we broke and clearly warned them in no uncertain words, that win or lose, I would clean their clocks if that ever happened again. I don't know about success, I would have had in the cleaning department but it never happened again.

The best players hold not only themselves but those within their team to the highest standards of sportsmanship and general good behaviour. You obviously have been taught well between right and wrong, so if necessary "grab a rag" and share your expectations with others.
I agree with Rosy, to a point. The bottom line is for your team to win the last game of the season in Kane County in the middle of June. As for personal rankings, of course they are subjective. But I think the PBR staff does a very, very credible job considering the large number of high school baseball players in Illinois. Although the individual rankings are nice, getting to the next level will depend upon a player's performance on the field and evaluation (again subjective) by some scout or coach who is supposed to have the experience to recognize talent...that is the "true" ranking.
I could take every player listed and make a case for them to be rated differently. That's what makes this so good. If he plays like you say you can bet his rating will go up. If not..... The Truth has no personal agenda on this. They are just trying to promote Illinois High School Baseball.

Corky is absolutely correct. To be listed at all is an honor.
Ricardo,

Things that make you go hmmmmmm! Maybe it's because Ralphie decided not to play with them last year......that is why he is not held in high regard with this organization(when he was going to play with them it was all peaches and cream). But is stated earlier,take care of business on the field. Anyone in their right mind knows Garcia is not #58 in the state! Oh the politics of the game.
itsrosy:

"There is one way for a player to guarantee moving up in any rankings. That is to go out, on the field, and prove it. I'd be much more interested in where I'm ranked at the end of the season rather than while it is still snowing outside."

Sorry....but I don't agree totally with your statement. Yes, you can improve your ranking, but I have seen many of the players listed in the top 100, top 50, top 10, that I feel ARE either overrated or underrated!!!! Who am I to say which-is-which, well lets just say that some things are very obvious!!!!!

I respect the job that PBR is doing for the Illinois players and know that as a state, Illinois is not considered to be a 'hotbed' for high quality baseball talent. I strongly disagree to this thinking myself!!! PBR is giving the schools, coaches, and more importantly the players, the venue for having their respective names brought to the forefront of the collegiate and professional baseball arena.

But, having watched many of these players in games during the spring and summer seasons, travel ball included, some of these kids are very much overrrated, and others not listed underrated, has created a false sense of success, or failure, for these kids. Sure, many will be, and have been selected to play at Division I and Division II schools, but due to over recruiting, or maybe too much hype, will probably not see playing time for some time.

Does ranking these kids matter, inflated evaluations or not? What is the real story? I think that 'actual' satistics should be meaningful, not power potential, size, projectiblilty, favoritism, etc. Rate the players by batting average, on base percentage, slugging percentage, fielding percentage, walks-to-strikeout ratio, strikeouts, walks, stolen bases, etc. Don't rate the players on projectibility yet!!!!! Most players bodies won't be fully developed until their early twenties. How hard do the players train? Multi sport athlete? Not for me! No commitement!!!!

I know of players that are better at their particular position, which are overlooked and have better statistics, that will not be considered for All Conference or All State consideration. WHY????? Favoritism????? Who knows!!!! I just think that the rankings are not totally accurate, or factual. I don't care what school they will attend, they are not ranked accurately.
Soapbox Time

I'm torn on this. It is all kinds of fun and interest to read the mag and see where they have people and teams. I've said that I don't agree with all the rankings, but that's JMHO.

I know kids at our own school, kids who have been on teams with my son and kids my kid played against a lot who aren't even on the radar in some of these rankings, but sure should be. A kid who plays on Varsity as a Soph. is going to establish a track record that will get him noticed, even though a kid who may be as good or better may not have gotten moved up because his Varsity didn't need him or a player at his position. I know another kid who played the best he ever did last summer only to drop in the esteem of The Truth. Either he was over rated before or he is under rated now.

At our own school, we had a couple of kids get moved up and they are both ranked quite high by The Truth. I believe we have a couple of players who are better than one of those two who did not get moved up because there was no need. Of those two players who didn't get moved up, one is not even mentioned in the "100 to watch" even though he has had a relatively stellar career til now.

Whose fault? No one. How in god's name are all these names going to be known by the mag? Should they list them just because I say they should? A lot of these kids are called "late bloomers" or "much improved" or "came out of nowhere" later on.

I guess the point is that all this has to be taken with a grain of salt, along with considering the perspective. Maybe Philosopher is right, stats should show it but then you would need total cooperation of the coaches. I guess just enjoy it and remember it may be "The Truth" but sometimes the truth isn't so black and white.
rosy did I read you right did you say multi sport athlete no way because of lack of commitment? Maybe I misread this as it is late but just because I kid plays more than one sport has nothing to do with his commitment level. Many scouts will tell you that in many cases it helps the athlete and as long as they enjoy them both do more than one as long as you like. Ryan Ansbereger comes to mind as a 3 sport athlete through high school all atste ss and now pre-season pick out of Illinois State. For some more than 1 sport also teaches kids how to prioritize their time which should come in handy during college and in life. If I misread your statement my apoligies.
quote:
Originally posted by Philosopher:
I think that 'actual' satistics should be meaningful, not power potential, size, projectiblilty, favoritism, etc. Rate the players by batting average, on base percentage, slugging percentage, fielding percentage, walks-to-strikeout ratio, strikeouts, walks, stolen bases, etc. Don't rate the players on projectibility yet!!!!!

How hard do the players train? Multi sport athlete? Not for me! No commitement!!!!

I just think that the rankings are not totally accurate, or factual. I don't care what school they will attend, they are not ranked accurately.

Phil, I have a few comments...

IMO, rankings based on stats would be tough unless every team played each other. There are too many variables otherwise. A kid hitting .300 in a top conference (with a tough non-con schedule) facing great pitching will be hard to compare to a kid hitting .390 versus a much softer group of pitchers. The .300 kid may be way better...who knows for sure based on stats? While I agree that excellent stats probably indicate talent, ranking in order based on them would be problematic at best.

I'm a big fan of multi sport play through high school. Can kids try to do too much? I think so. But I don't question their commitment. My son's high school summer team had three kids who played football and basketball in addition to baseball. For some part of the summer, they had football double sessions, then played a double header, then went to basketball summer league games. They were stretched pretty thin, but they never complained (that I could hear) and they worked extraordinarily hard...I think that's commitment.

Lastly, of course the rankings aren't totally accurate or factual...they can't be. They're opinions. And with such a monumental task, there will always be oversights and/or mistaken identities and/or typos and/or other boo-boo's that will occur. In my opinion, there could be many changes...but that's just my opinion and it doesn't make it right.

I think the job that PBR did was excellent: great articles about great kids, debate-inducing team rankings, and very informative player profiles and rankings/lists. It's an incredible resource for those interested in following high school baseball in Illinois.

The best news is that we are only a few weeks away from try out time. Finally!
ole

Mike F
St. Rita has been a top program in the state of illinois for the past 7 years, they will continue this tradition because of the coaches they have and the work ethic that is taught at St. Rita. The public league teams are a joke and always will be because those kids have no discipline. And on the 66-0 scores, so what. Run up the score every game, this game is about winning it isn't about being nice to other teams and only beating them by a few, any team can come back at anytime so you better put up as many runs as you can

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.