Skip to main content

Why do they need to air their business in the open, time after time, it's terrible.

If Posada asked for a day off, for whatever reason, he was granted that day off (according to Girardi) why did Cashman have to come out with a statement.

I understand some people feel he should not be in the lineup due to his BA, but hey he is not a DH, he's a catcher. Why did they take all of his catching responsibilities away, he could have remained one more year as backup or split time if they needed to bring in a younger guy. He has to have valuable experience to pass on to future catchers.

Now I hear they called MLB to see if there was a breach of contract?

I am with Papi on this one.
http://www.bostonherald.com/sp...sition=recent_bullet
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

While the breach of contract is a bit much, the bottom line is a whiny Posada chumped out of the lineup because he was batting 9th.

Posada must've been one of these kids who took his toys home when he didn't get his way.

Typical spoiled brat millionaire.

Cashman is a terrible GM so not surprising he messed this one up.

I'm in no way a Girardi fan because I don't consider him a good manager but it's obvious in his press conference that Cashman forced his hand in saying he needed a day off when everybody knew he chumped out of the lineup.
Last edited by zombywoof
Yes, he may have chumped out, but the manager gave him the day off. But he and Cashman still had to air it out in public, it's really sad how they handled it, seems to be a big problem they have, no wonder people dislike them.

Do they not think that any player coming to the ballpark would not take exception without being told, first? It's business but there is a human element as well. I am pretty sure I got an idea that managers talk to their players before they do things, but IMO they have been trying to force him out and they don't want to pay his salary.
Posada isn't owed an explanation. His .165 BA speaks for itself. They're paid to do whatever their manager wants them to do. There are people who work jobs in the real world that have to deal with things not going their way or do things on their job without prior notice. Just because Posada plays baseball doesn't make him exempt from that. Problem is he's been coddled his whole life and now that things aren't going his way, he wants to pick up his bat and glove and go home. I can't deal with whiners and Posada's whining is a real turn off to anybody who can't stant people acting like that.

Why does the manager have to sit down and stroke a player's ego? These guys need to man up and accept it. If Girardi wanted to ease him into batting 9th, it's certainly his call but he don't have to.

However, the whole story turned into a circus because of Cashman. Girardi should've just suspended him w/o pay right then and there and then and let Posada go thru the process with the union if he wants his money back.

As for forcing him out and not wanting to pay his salary?. Maybe but being in the last year of the contract, it don't make sense unless they're hellbent on saving a portion of the $13M he's owed.

I think the Yankees wish he would retire because there's really no room for him. That's the problem when you sign old guys to long contracts. They're old in the back end of the deals.

Yanks will get burned with Jeter too. Jeter already got rewarded over the years with his play. But Cashman signed him anyway knowing he'll be a 40 yr old declining-ability SS in his final year.
Last edited by zombywoof
I didn't realize that Girardi and Posada had a strain in their relationship. Interesting.
I am not agreeing with Posada asking out for the day off, obviously we don't know the whole story what happened between the time he said he understood and then the closed door meeting.

But he asked and he got it,should have been the end of it.

More Yankee drama.
quote:
Originally posted by TPM:
I didn't realize that Girardi and Posada had a strain in their relationship. Interesting.
I am not agreeing with Posada asking out for the day off, obviously we don't know the whole story what happened between the time he said he understood and then the closed door meeting.

But he asked and he got it,should have been the end of it.

More Yankee drama.

Yep..Posada and Girardi as teammates were competing for playing time in the 90s so there probably some of that resentment with these two. Around these parts, it's no secret that Posada and Girardi's relationship is a strained one.

I agree. This should've been done in private. But now the cat is out of the bag.

I suppose if it weren't the Yankees, this would be a non-story.
Last edited by zombywoof
First, never pick the Game of the Week to have a major issue if you want it concealed. FOX was all over it.

I watched the game until it was 6-0. I also heard Mike Francesca on The Fan driving through New York today. This was all about Posada feeling disrespected being placed 9th in the order. He told Giradi he wouldn't play. There is no excuse from LL to MLB to refuse to play. It violated everything about "the team."

Giradi and Posada have never seen eye to eye. MLB managers have an obligation with their FOX contract to talk to the announcing booth. Knowing Girardi isn't good in these interviews and they have a situation Cashman did the interview.

This is the case of a fading star being the last one to know he's on the downward slide. He's thinking he's come back from slumps before. Given this is the Yankees and New York with a lot of media expect it to get uglier as the season wears on. I'll guess if Posada isn't hitting .250 and playing by July first he's waived. The Yankees did contact the MLB front office to see of they had grounds to suspend Posada.

The catching prospect (Montrero) is tearing it up in the minors. He could be called up to DH and ease into the cartching position with one or two starts behind the plate each week. Martin is, and will remain the starter.

As an added attraction with the way Jeter has been frequently grounding out to second lately, he's acquired a nickname Derek 4-3ter.

This wasn't nearly as good as Reggie and Billy Martin in the dugout at Fenway.
Last edited by RJM
quote:
Originally posted by biggerpapi:
The Yankees should be more worried about all the empty seats behind home plate.

If the Yankees make the playoffs, they'll get the phony corporate customers masquerading as fans in those seats. They priced out the real fan and replaced them with corporate statues.

I just shake my head watching Yankee games because the fans (for lack of a better word) are like corpses at the games. The old Yankee Stadium used to rock when the place was filled with real fans.

Even in a good economy, those seats would be empty on most nights.
Last edited by zombywoof
The drama will continue if they keep losing. They will keep losing if the drama continues. It is a conundrum. I'm not sure I see a way out of this until they start winning, and they lost again to 1st place Tampa Bay last night.

Bobby Valentine had some great observations (I thought) last night on ESPN about the Yankee pitching staff. They are throwing Joba out there when they are behind....in an effort to keep them in games. Their starting pitching (Colon and Garcia) are overachieving early in the season, but they can't maintain, and are starting to slip. Yankees can hit, but pitching is "crumbling" was the analysis. I agree, and I don't think I'm over reacting like most do in NY when they lose a few games. There are big problems. I'm not sure what the fix will be, but Girardi and Cashman better think of something soon.
The outline for this season was put in place in December when Cliff Lee went to the Phillies. Even if Lee had gone to the Yankees, their pitching staff would still be vulnerable. Another obvious problem is the presence of prima donnas. Even Posada is showing he is not really a team player. Correct me if I am wrong, but the smart guys say Alex is a better SS than Jeter, but Jeter would not move to 3rd so so the swich could be made. The Yankees develop this system of a bunch of "stars" that only works when the stars are all healthy and happy. Very difficult to maintain.
It is very awkward when the superstar loses his skill set. They took the catcher's mitt away from Jorge at the end of last year and he's not adjusted. He looks really bad at the plate. The same thing happendd to Bernie Williams, to a lesser extent. They should buy him out and let him retire. It's hard to replace an All Star.

They are not producing on offense. Arod (.242 BA) looks clueless at the plate with three K's last night and a bunch of K's last weekend against the Red Sox. Texiera (.252 BA) isn't much better. Nick (Hollywood) Swisher looks cluless at the plate (.218 BA) and in right field. Add to that Jeter being right behind Posada in the Department of Diminishing Skills and you have a downtrend for the Yankees. They may be in second place, but they scare nobody.
Last edited by Dad04
quote:
Originally posted by Dad04:
They may be in second place, but they scare nobody.

I agree.
Interesting how Jeter spoke up about the situation, they have issues, and until they address them all, things will not get better. Their pitching is a mess.

I am just tired of the yankee drama, I want to hear about the teams having success (go Cleveland Smile).

I used to not understand player movement in MLB, but I do believe now that everyone needs a change, at some point in their career.
I don't see the problem with, over the course of playing almost every day for many months, asking for a day off. I feel like the entire thing is ridiculous. I remember when Jim Thome played for the White Sox, he would regularly request days off. When you get into the wrong half of your 30s, you just can't play every single day. No big deal. The Yankees are...I don't know. They should have been happy that a struggling player was out of the lineup for a day.
quote:
Originally posted by JPontiac:
I don't see the problem with, over the course of playing almost every day for many months, asking for a day off. I feel like the entire thing is ridiculous. I remember when Jim Thome played for the White Sox, he would regularly request days off. When you get into the wrong half of your 30s, you just can't play every single day. No big deal. The Yankees are...I don't know. They should have been happy that a struggling player was out of the lineup for a day.

Posada chumped out because Girardi hit him 9th. If he was batting 5th ot 6th he wouldn't have. Him and Girardi don't get along and this was his way of answering back to batting 9th. However, these days, most of the Yankees are playing like garbage and it's unacceptable.

As for the Yanks being happy he wasn't in the lineup, maybe, but I sure was.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.