Skip to main content

I have been told this twice by two coaches that have been in baseball each over 35 years. I understand the meaning behind the statement. My son is not a blue chip or even a purple chip. He works hard and loves the game. I am trying to put the "There is a program for every player" to the test. How do I go about promoting my son to the lower rung schools. We are not interested in a scholarship just somewhere to play baseball. Any advise would be helpful.

Graduates 2011 1st base 5' 11 215 hits with power rotational swing. Like to play hard nose ball the type that will run through a fence to get to the ball.

We live in North Texas but would play in Alaska!!!
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Welcome to the HSBBW!

First, has he been to any showcase to get an idea of where his skills are at this time? How are his grades? The showcase evaluation will give you an idea of where to start.

IMO there is always a place for a player who really wants to play after HS, but make sure it is something he wants to do, not what you want him to do.

Don't sell your son short, I have known a few players that were not considered any type of "chip" players as juniors in HS and now playing in professional ball, not milb but MLB.

Exposure, has he had any besides HS?
Why don't you get in touch with the coaches at McMurray Univ. and Hardin-Simmons Univ. in Abilene. Both are D3 programs that might have an interest in your son. I don't know anything about the McMurray coach, but Coach Coleman with Hardin-Simmons is an outstanding guy who mentors his players and treats them like sons. Make an appointment with Coach Coleman and he will talk your ear off for hours. He is extremely friendly and helpful and if he can't take your son, he might know someone who will be interested in him.

By the way, Coach Coleman told us that D3's can't hold tryouts, but added that he oftentimes attends the annual tryout at Abilene Christian University and picks up players that D2 ACU isn't interested in. Check with ACU to see when the tryout is. I think it's in June.

Best wishes!
Last edited by Infield08
You might start by looking at the local/regional Junior colleges.

Check each to see if they have camps this fall. They are usually put on as a fund raise for the school but they also take notice of HS players. Work ethic and a love for the game can go a very long way with this type of program.

Next try and see if the local big college has a fall baseball league for HS students. A lot of them do. Also a way to raise funds but they also look for kids they can recommend to a JC or maybe even see if the player would fit their program.

The level of play after HS is as varied as what you see in HS. So I have seen and know as well, there is a place somewhere for every kid that wants to continue playing.

The challenge is matching the player to the proper level of play. I am not saying he would be a starter but that there is opportunities out there to contribute and have the college experience with a team. Plus you never know how someone will develop over the next year or two.

And as a coach some would create a roster spot just for a bull nosed kid that gives everything and loves the game. Remember the movie Rudy? They feel that type of player can bring just as much value in how he rubs off on those around him as another utility player that may get no innings and complain all the time. There are JUCO's that I would put against any D-1 program and some D-1's that I don't think could beat our old HS team 2 out of 3.

Anyway I would start there and make sure he plays some where this summer also. His age alone would bring people to a game just to look for players. And you never know a coach may be looking at the other teams starting pitcher but takes notice of your son and his love of the game as well.

GL and let us know how things go.
Last edited by Former Member
Make a short video. Nothing fancy. In fact, the more real the better, but show his swing and few other basics. Reach out to schools. Most do not have budgets for recrutiing. Your son can e-mail coaches to find out about camps. Research on your own camps and showcases. They are pricey, so you need to carefully consider which ones match your sights.

PS Generally speaking, baseball coaches are willing to provide information and help to kids that want to continue playing. Top tier DI programs-that's a different world.
I just thought about some Division 3 jr. colleges in Dallas that have teams. I have heard that the level of competition isn't that high (at least at some of them), so perhaps your son would do well there. Look into Richland College, Eastfield College, Cedar Valley College, Northlake College, and Brookhaven College.
This comment is more "one man's impression" than it is fact-based, none the less . . .

My impression is there may be more opportunity for a player like your son outside the state of Texas. The reason is that Texas (along with Florida, California, and a few other southern states) turns out LOTS of baseball talent. Much of that talent ends up at the D3 schools in Texas. [Only the best of the best ends up at the D1's in TX.] If your son is willing to go a bit farther from home, I believe the number of possibilities will go up. Many states in the midwest & the east have a college (it seems) in nearly every town of 1500 people. The ratio of schools to number of HS baseball players wanting to continue appears to favor a look to the north &/or east of Texas.

Again, not completely a data-derived opinion, but here are a few data points (based on 5 mineutes of web searching) to illustrate:

Texas has a population of 20.8 mil and has 26 D2 and D3 baseball programs. That is 1 school for each 800,000 people.

Ohio has a population of 11.3 mil and 26 D2 and D3 baseball programs. That's the same number of schools, but about half as many "potential players", 453,000 / school.

West Virginia has a population of 1.8 million and 14 D2 and D3 schools. That's only ~128,000 people per school.

Understand, I am making no inference about the ability of players in Ohio vs WVA vs TX. I'm just pointing out the numbers say there are more possibilities to play college ball there than in TX. And we aren't even looking at NAIA or JUCO ball.

And I'm not ajusting for the relative ages of the populations in each state. You get the point....
Last edited by Up in the Stands
quote:
Originally posted by Up in the Stands:
This comment is more "one man's impression" than it is fact-based, none the less . . .

My impression is there may be more opportunity for a player like your son outside the state of Texas. The reason is that Texas (along with Florida, California, and a few other southern states) turns out LOTS of baseball talent. Much of that talent ends up at the D3 schools in Texas. [Only the best of the best ends up at the D1's in TX] If your son is willing to go a bit farther from home, I believe the number of possibilities will go up. Many states in the midwest & the east have a college (it seems) in nearly every town of 1500 people. The ratio of schools to number of HS baseball players wanting to continue appears to favor a look to the north &/or east of Texas.

Again, not completely a data-derived opinion, but here are a few data points (based on 5 mineutes of web searching) to illustrate:

Texas has a population of 20.8 mil and has 26 D2 and D3 baseball programs. That is 1 school for each 1.25 mil people.

Ohio has a population of 11.3 mil and 26 D2 and D3 baseball programs. That's the same number of schools, but about half as many "potential players".

West Virginia has a population of 1.8 million and 14 D2 and D3 schools. That's only ~128,000 people per school.

Understand, I am making no inference about the ability of players in Ohio vs WVA vs TX. I'm just pointing out the numbers say there are more possibilities to play college ball there than in TX. And we aren't even looking at NAIA or JUCO ball.

That is an outstanding post and I agree 100%. We have many parents from California who have posted similar things. There is more talent in California than there are available positions and I am sure it is the same in Texas. There are some powerhouse D3 schools here in Ohio btw - national championship caliber.

For the original poster, I would get out a map and draw a one hour driving circle from your home at the center. I would contact every juco coach that fell in that circle and see what they have to say. After speaking to them, ask for a tryout, or ask if they will attend one of your sons games, and/or ask if they are aware of any other opportunities. With the Internet these days, this information (school location, coaches numbers) is easy to find.
I will tell you that in the State of NC there are more opportunities by far than there are players to fill them. From numerous D1 programs to Community College programs.

One of the best ways to find a kid a home is to have a coach with contacts contact the college coaches and inquire of his behalf. Many of these programs have JV programs as well. They are always looking for young men that want an opportunity to play at the next level. And many times you will see a kid and say "Who the heck is that." A kid that flew under the radar his hs career and then busted out at the college level. This happens for many reasons but never happens when they dont give it a shot.

There is a program for every player that wants to take his shot. And he is determined to do what it takes to be a part of a college program. I have coached a long time. I have NEVER had one single player not play college baseball that had the desire to play college baseball. Guys that were bench players and seldom saw playing time who later earned all conference honors in college. Guys that were lucky to make the hs team as fresh and sophs who later were starters at the college level. Guys that now coach in college who started on the JV squad and graduated as a starter at the college level.

There are many excuses you or a player can find on why it didnt happen. But if a player wants it and is willing to go where he can get an opportunity it can be done. It boils down to "how bad do you really want to play in college?" Good luck
hwy380,

My son was facing the same situation as your son a couple of years ago. He was a good player but got lost in the large talent pool that this part of the country has. (we are also from North Texas) Son made it very clear he wanted to play D1 baseball and was willing to go far from home to do it.

Our solution was to have him attend camps that were hosted by schools further north and make sure the coaches who worked these camps knew that the Texas kid was very interested in playing at a northern school. It paid off and son is playing D1 ball at South Dakota State. He is having a great time and the team is doing pretty well so far this year.

The advise offered to you by the other posters is excellent (D2, D3, juco, NAIA)but don't think that there isn't any opportunity to play D1 if your son is truly willing to explore opportunities outside the geographic box. Our example of a kid going from Texas to South Dakota may seem extreme to a lot of folks from the warm south, but the game is played the same way, by young men who have just as much passion for it and work just as hard at it as players from any other parts of the country.

If you are curious, the camp that made the difference for our son was at the University of Kansas. The head coach there saw enough potential in our son to recommend him to the head coach at South Dakota State. They also happen to be father and son. SDSU turned out to be the right place at the right time.
Go Jacks has a very valid point... And that is what worked for their family and it seems to be the right choice for them.

However I have seen that situation as described backfire twice the last few years. Both by a close friend of the family's daughter and by my nephew. Both moved many hours away from home to have the chance to play sports. Basketball and baseball. The challenge is in making sure your son has the mental toughness to be far away from home,family and friends. both the above players left after one year and neither are playing now.But during the course of that year they were both miserable.

So as I stated there are places for every player but you really need to approach it from the standpoint of being a "Student/Athlete" The goal being able to enjoy playing on into college but starting on your academic skills. That said looking at a 4 year school especially away from home although providing a place to play might not be a good idea for some. Looking at a JUCO close to home now and getting core courses out of the way would provide the chance to improve his skills, get some playing time and maybe get a look from the 4 year schools that recruit from the two years.
Even with that; making sure that the credits earned will transfer to the 4 year school they hope to attend. And maybe just maybe everything blends into the perfect storm.
Last edited by Former Member
TPM

Yes he has done a showcase in the Perfect game they gave him a 6.5 on there chart that is respectable. This is all for him. I never even played the sport. He loves the game and works hard at it. He has a decent glove at first but his only true attribute is power hitting. thee are allot of power hitters with a higher PG raking of 6.5.
Last edited by hwy380
quote:
Infield08

Infield08 thanks for going as far as dropping a name. We will make the trip. I have a couple of DVD's we can take from the Perfect Game showcase is there any more I should take. Here is a question when he played for a select team in Colorado as a 9th graded the coach listed him as there number 1 power hitting prospect. These guys we know relatively well even though that was 9th grade should we get a letter from them? Will it be helpful.
quote:
Infield08

Infield08

I just saw the list of schools. I do have a card up my sleeve, my son gets batting lessons from one of the former Brookhaven coaches back when the team led the nation in Home Runs I think that year they also went to the national championship game. His name is Corey Thornton. He likes my son a lot and was the first person who told us "there is a place for every kid"
Last edited by hwy380
hwy380,
One aspect you have not mentioned is grades.
No matter where you go, with the skills you are referencing for your son, grades are going to open or close more doors than baseball.
Texas is a hot bed of DIII baseball and your son's PG grade would suggest that there could be schools in the DIII range that would be a baseball fit, if the academics are also a fit.
There are also some DIII's in Texas where it would be a reach, baseball wise, for your son because they compete at a level of play that is better than more Northern higher level schools.
If your son is truly passionate about playing baseball in college, his grades are going to determine how many or how few options he might have.
From a baseball perspective, you live in a hot bed of DIII baseball. The academic aspects of Texas DIII schools vary widely.
If it were my son, with our experience at a Texas DIII, I would get on the ASC and SCAC websites and get to work finding schools that look like academic fits. Once you have those, you can begin checking with coaches on the baseball fit.
Last edited by infielddad
hwy380

The people that told you that are correct to a large extent. Ready players are nice since they don't have the luxury of spending 2 years developing them like a 4 year school does.
But there are many many JUCO's that develop players.
If your son is a hitter as you indicate and avg 1st baseman he may be just the bat the coach needs for the DH slot and gives him another year to work on his glove.

Dont forget he is a junior also and if he loves the game and works at it, I have seem many kids blossom over this period in their baseball development. His summer program will see coach's /scouts dropping in sometimes. If your son plays the game hard, shows the hustle and leadership, has the bat he will draw attn and get looks.

BobbleheadDoll.... I think I understand where you are coming from with your statement but the reason this site exists is for information to make the best choices for their kids.

With respect to you Tom some kids are more mature and ready to handle being away from home and it not being a big deal. Some think they are till they get there. Combine that with limited paying time or chances and kids can go south real quick.
quote:
Originally posted by hwy380:
quote:
Up in the Stands

Would you say the best course of action is email and some online video? Any other suggestion for out of state self recruiting please post.

What worked for us is not unlike what many others have suggested. We started by casting a very wide net. We sent letters to probably 70-80 different schools including lots of D1, many D2, some D3 and some NAIA's that are perenial baseball contenders. Most sent back a canned invite to a camp. Some sent personal notes and expressed real interest.

We also made a 5-6 minute video of my son pitching. It was actually 3 "full" innings of pitching from 2 different games, edited down to wind up delivery and result. We sent the video to selected schools that expressed interest in my son, and that he was reasonably interested in.

My son also played on a summer team that put him in front of several college coaches in TX, plus they played in East Cobb in front of lots of coaches /recruiters.

And Mom and Dad prayed a lot.

He ended up with an offer from an east coast D1, a midwest D2, a Texas D3, and a midwest NAIA school.

We're flying out east in a couple hours to catch about 7 D1 games over spring break. Is this a great country or what!!!
Last edited by Up in the Stands
quote:
Originally posted by BobbleheadDoll:
Why do people listen to what others tell them. Get out and make your opportunity. Stop listening and take some action.

Are you serious. Do you browse forums all day to get the topics off track. Every bit of advise here is welcomed and I asked for it please find something else to do.
quote:
Originally posted by infielddad:
hwy380,
One aspect you have not mentioned is grades.
No matter where you go, with the skills you are referencing for your son, grades are going to open or close more doors than baseball.
Texas is a hot bed of DIII baseball and your son's PG grade would suggest that there could be schools in the DIII range that would be a baseball fit, if the academics are also a fit.
There are also some DIII's in Texas where it would be a reach, baseball wise, for your son because they compete at a level of play that is better than more Northern higher level schools.
If your son is truly passionate about playing baseball in college, his grades are going to determine how many or how few options he might have.
From a baseball perspective, you live in a hot bed of DIII baseball. The academic aspects of Texas DIII schools vary widely.
If it were my son, with our experience at a Texas DIII, I would get on the ASC and SCAC websites and get to work finding schools that look like academic fits. Once you have those, you can begin checking with coaches on the baseball fit.

GPA 3.75
quote:
Originally posted by Up in the Stands:
quote:
Originally posted by hwy380:
quote:
Up in the Stands

Would you say the best course of action is email and some online video? Any other suggestion for out of state self recruiting please post.

What worked for us is not unlike what many others have suggested. We started by casting a very wide net. We sent letters to probably 70-80 different schools including lots of D1, many D2, some D3 and some NAIA's that are perenial baseball contenders. Most sent back a canned invite to a camp. Some sent personal notes and expressed real interest.

We also made a 5-6 minute video of my son pitching. It was actually 3 "full" innings of pitching from 2 different games, edited down to wind up delivery and result. We sent the video to selected schools that expressed interest in my son, and that he was reasonably interested in.

My son also played on a summer team that put him in front of several college coaches in TX, plus they played in East Cobb in front of lots of coaches /recruiters.

And Mom and Dad prayed a lot.

He ended up with an offer from an east coast D1, a midwest D2, a Texas D3, and a midwest NAIA school.

We're flying out east in a couple hours to catch about 7 D1 games over spring break. Is this a great country or what!!!

Great work looks like it paid off. I appreciate the advice. I will keep people posted and hope that others post what is working for them here also. We are also doing a lot of praying
I agree with what Tim has said about being very far from home, it is not the right plan for every player amd should be a big consideration when looking into programs.
We sent out player far from home, he adjusted well and had a great experience in the class as well as on the field, but he did tell us that he was sorry that he wasn't closer to friends and family.
New2This I had a bullpen catcher that simply was not good enought to earn very much playing time in our program. He loved the game , worked very hard and wanted to continue playing baseball. I called a good D3 program and told the coach about the kid. He went on a visit and loved it. He went and was the bull pen catcher on the JV squad his freshman year. He continued to work very hard and saw some playing time as a soph on JV. His sr year he was the #2 catcher on varsity and did very well. He now is coaching in college.

If the player loves the game. If he is willing to do what it takes to be a part of a college baseball program. There is a place for every player that truly wants to play at the next level. Unless you set conditions that eliminate you from the schools you can actually continue to play at. How bad do you want to do it?
quote:
Originally posted by Coach_May:
There is a place for every player that truly wants to play at the next level. Unless you set conditions that eliminate you from the schools you can actually continue to play at.

That is a really great thing to point out. I can imagine that eliminating yourself is a real danger if you are not careful.
Look , I have had kids that told me they wanted to play college baseball. But not if they had to go to a smaller school to do it because they wanted the big campus college experience. Not if they had to go too far away from home. Not if they were not going to have a chance to play early. Not if they were going to have to play D3 baseball. Not if..................................etc etc.

Then you dont want to play college baseball bad enough. If you did you would not set conditions on it. It was and is their choice and I am not knocking anyone for deciding that those conditions are so important to them that they would rather not do it.

But for the player that REALLY wants to play at the college level and is not going to set conditions that will eliminate the options that suit his current baseball ability or academic standing or ability as well, their is a program for everyone of these players.
Hey HWY380,
Stay up beat and do the work to contact the schools your son is interested in. All the advice you are getting is pretty good. The best one was going away from CA. TX. And FL. Those 3 all get flooded with talent both home grown and from all across the states. Also befor someone gets all worked up yes I do recruiting for players at my son’s school and I am not trying to sign you up with any recruiting company. I live in So. Cal. A baseball hotbed and I have 4 boys, 18, 16, 14 and 10 years old. My oldest is 5’6” 135lbs with a 3.5 GPA. And he just signed to play at a small school in Iowa so yes there is a place for almost every player if they have some talent and put in the time not only on the field but in the class room.
Here is some more advice to help narrow down your search.

1) What does he want to study?
2) How far is he willing to move?
3) What size school, big or small?
4) Is money an issue?
5) Level of competition?
6) Ability to play right away?

Good luck and if you and your son do the leg work I am sure he will find a place to play
quote:
Originally posted by twotex:
Have you looked into Southwestern in Georgetown or Trinity in San Antonio (both D3)? With his good grades he might get some academic scholarship money.

Good luck and have fun!

Will put these schools on the growing list. Do you know if it helps to let them know That money is not an object. Should that it can be brought up in the discussion?
Another conference to consider is the Northwest Conference. The NWC is made up of D3 schools in Washington and Oregon. Academically there is a wide range of levels as well as a reasonably wide range of majors to chose from.

PM me if you would like more info. Between my son and my daughter, I think I have done a visit to nearly every school in the conference.
On the Southwestern/Trinity question. My daughter (not an athlete) went to Southwestern. My limited information is that they make their admissions decisions based on who they want to admit, not financial issues. The question will be what are they looking for on the baseball team. I'm sure they would be glad to know that you can afford to pay what isn't covered by scholarships.

My view is that your son has a lot to offer in that he has good grades and a great sports attitude. It is a small school which looks for quality people. She has a great experience there, and has friends who played sports there all 4 years.

As for Trinity, I have a niece there playing softball. She also receives financial aid. Again, I believe the admissions decisions are separate from the financial aid decision. Her parents could afford to pay what isn't covered by her scholarships, which I'm sure was a plus at some level.

I didn't mention Austin College in Sherman. Another an academically sound Div 3 school.

Good luck.
While I agree that hypothetically, there is a program for every player, I just don't see where a HS player with average skills can rest assured that there is a place for him at the next level.

By no means do I want be perceived as a "downer" but reality says that academic aspirations, team cuts, economics, geographic location, and luck, may put the average player behind the 8-ball in regard to finding that college "place" where he fits. College baseball is a great goal, but, a hefty one. I've seen many players in my area, which is not strong, have college baseball aspirations and when reality hits they just do not match up with the college game. No cut on any player, just a reality check that is sometimes missing on this site because it is chocked full of "nice people" who are the parents of successful college players who have usually walked downhill during this process. We sometimes forget that there are average HS players and their parents that read this site and we fit them with rose colored glasses when we make statements like "there is a program for every player". We may be sending a message that cannot be attained regardless of the program.

Sometimes those rose colored glasses are maybe being worn by the "advise givers" on this site . I plead guilty at times to those charges and while I've heard the devils advocate attitude is frowned upon here, it is part of the big picture IMO, and should not be "blown off".

It is not always about how far you take the game, it is about how to passionate you are about the game, regardless of the level you attain.

As rz ducks for cover

Last edited by rz1
Having a 3.75 GPA and parents who can pay private school tuition gives this player an advantage over a lot of average players who don't have the grades or the money. None of us on this forum know whether the kid has the skills to play D3 baseball. I figure the question is do we have any advice which might help this kid maximize his chances - he isn't walking downhill. A lot of folks have given advice. Now the rest is up to the player and his family to see where the chips fall.

My brother was a 165 pound offensive lineman in high school, and played college football in Texas. He didn't believe it when people said he was too small to play in college. My niece is not a spectacular softball pitcher (I'd say average), but had good enough grades to have four D3 schools in Texas offer her a chance to play. She's 3-0 this season.

My view is that pessimism inhibits people from achieving their goals than optimism. Failure is a fact of life, and if you don't find a team, you just have to move on. But you for sure won't find one if you don't try.
Good post rz. I don't think the title of the thread can be taken literally. There are a lot of kids who are not and won't be good enough to play college baseball. However, if a player is willing to work hard enough and look for the right fit, sometimes a fair piece from home, a whole lot of players do have a chance to play college ball.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.