Skip to main content

I know this is a HS forum, but please roll with me here. You have all been here and I'm just looking for a little guidance.

Son and his team are 8U. I am working on the basics with the group. Has anyone ever used a "Thromax" to help teach proper arm slot when throwing? Is this something that you would suggest for kids this age? There are just so many different actions in the group that I don't know where to start. I can show them the proper technique, but that thing seems like it will help them feel it as well.

Thanks in advance,

Tim
deaconspoint
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

For what it's worth we used the the Thromax device around age 12/13. Most kids have a hard time getting there elbow up until that age. I would concentrate on making sure they don't wrap around the ball when throwing. Ex. putting a slider spin. It's one habit that could last a lifetime. Don't worry about arm slot just look for good rotation. Putting a stripe down the middle of a practice ball works well.
At that age, all practices should begin with throwing drills, leading up to (not starting with) the more typical warm-up throwing.

Most folks just send the kids out to throw warmups without really paying attention to what's going on. The result at age 8 is balls getting loose, kids running around, not much really getting accomplished.

The first thing you have to do is get away from the very common notion that little kids need to use all fingers in their grips. Baloney! Teach them the proper (two-finger, 4-seam) grip right away. Even small hands can do this.

Then:

You start with a flip drill. Players facing each other, maybe 15 feet apart, on their knees. Arm into "L" position, flip the ball with emphasis on proper arm angle and 4-seam backsping.

Next, move back to maybe 30'. Players on one knee (throwing arm side knee on the ground), with the other leg bent so that the stride foot is on the ground, stride leg in line to the target. Work on proper down, back and up motion. Begin by having players "freeze" in each position to check themselves. Then work on throwing from that position. This is building on the flip drill so 4-seam backspin is still to be emphasized.

Third drill: Stand facing target, maybe 40' apart. Use the "down, back & up" throwing motion, adding hip rotation while keeping feet still, both facing the target.

Only after these do you move to regular throwing. The important thing is that the move to regular throwing is not like letting the kids leave class for recess. It's still class in session. Meaning, you have to make sure they're still throwing correctly and building the right habits. Down, back & up motion, stride and hip rotation, proper 4-seam backspin with follow through. Start at the 40' distance and move back a few steps every so many throws, to see how much distance they can build up over time.

For 8's, I have no problem with this taking up the first 20 minutes of all practices and pregame warmups. There's probably nothing more worthy of your time than teaching them how to catch and throw well from the start. Build good habits now, and you won't have to put in the extra effort to break the bad habits later. Plus, you'll be amazed at how many kids you suddenly have who can take the mound and throw strikes for you! That way you don't have the temptation to overuse your best pitcher.

This is a tried and true coaching method. I didn't invent it but I sure followed it. Even at the HS level, going through the fundamental drills is a good way to get a kid who has developed a sloppy throwing motion to get back on track. It's just like tee drills for hitters. Stressing the fundamentals should never stop, but at age 8, it's really all you should ever do at your practices.

P.S.

I am amazed at how many kids are taught to throw with a 2-seam grip. If you want your SS throwing tailing sinkers to your 1B, that's great! But they need to learn to do it right. Don't listen to folks who say they are too young to learn. They aren't, so don't make excuses for them.
MidloDad great post one of the best I have seen on here. We do those exact drills everyday before every practice and every game with our HS players. Everyday the first 45 minutes of practice is stretching properly and throwing and catching properly. The only thing I would add is make sure while your working on proper throwing mechanics your working on proper catching mechanics. GREAT POST
Thanks everyone. Especially you Midlo for taking the time to post this information. This is the first team I have coached in a long, long time and yesterday was our first real practice. My first drill was to have all the boys hold and grip the ball correctly. Two fingers, four seams. We're off to a good start and this post will help. Saving the money on the tool for now.

Thanks, Tim
That was an excellent post midlo.

One thing I might add regarding arm slot... At most positions the Hi 3/4 or over hand is ideal. As a pitcher, you like to find out what slot is most natural. There are several different slots that are most effective in different pitchers. Not sure if this pertains to 8 year olds however. So would strongly recommend midlo's advice.
quote:
Originally posted by Midlo Dad:
The first thing you have to do is get away from the very common notion that little kids need to use all fingers in their grips. Baloney! Teach them the proper (two-finger, 4-seam) grip right away. Even small hands can do this.

I kind of agree with this.

I definitely teach them a 4-seam grip, and focus on making sure that the Index and Middle fingers are in the correct position since they are the ones the ball will come off of.

However, I will sometimes teach my guys a 4-finger grip (Index, Middle, Ring, and Thumb) rather than the "correct" 3-finger grip (Index, Middle, and Thumb).

Even I throw with a 4-finger grip rather than a 3-finger grip, because my hands are on the smaller side and it helps me grip the ball better without costing (much) velocity.
As long as you have three points of contact (like a tripod standing up), you have stability. The fourth point is not necessary and can create interference with release and/or additional drag. Actually the use of extra fingers is one technique for throwing a change-up, which makes the point that the extra finger(s) slow down the more typical throw.

In most cases it's just something somebody's gotten comfortable with and never changed.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.