Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

In my opinion through many years of playing, teaching, researching and learning that catchers and infielders other than pitchers are required to throw with a very short half circular arm movement led with the elbow coming back and some what extended away from the body as the ball in hand is taken out of the glove facing momentarily to the ground, middle knuckles facing the target then in a half circular movement leaving the elbow extended out away from and even with the shoulder then rotating the arm and hand into a reverse "L" position with ball in it to facing one's target at the power position letting the elbow lead the hand and forearm just at the ear then the fore arm keeps traveling on with an enormous amount of forward speed, movement and energy to it's balls release
point.
Scott Rolen has a perfect ball in hand out of glove, elbow and hand position arm movement, very short and circular to his target.

I have a message for all of those infielders out there who read these messages and comments.
I coach in our summer college league and in our fall high school league here in Springfield, Mo. and these infielders drive me crazy with their consistently unnecessary side arm and under handed running out of position dipsy doodle throws, has any of you readers had to catch a side arm throw down the line tailing towards home plate while attempting to very quickly tag out the runner going by? That is a shoulder injury just waiting to happen,my message to all infielders is to make every throw with your hand and fingers behind the ball unless you are forced to throw other wise.
Infielders give your ball receivers a chance to handle a good throw by making the ball spin end over end.
kom_ervin@yahoo.com
I think that we are splitting hairs here relative to elbow or hand leading the transfer. Both cues achieve the desired result & it's truly difficult to discern what initiates the separation.

For me, the key is that the ball( On pitches within your body or to the glove side)does not come to rest in your glove.It is a "ricochet" exchange where the ball drops down from the bottom of the glove into the throwing hand.(Somewhat height dependent)Ideally this transfer takes place in front of your body(except on balls to your throwing hand side.)From there the the key is to get the ball up into a throwing position at or just before before the stride foot hits.

I prefer more of a "power v" position with the ball facing somewhere between 1st base & the backstop.I believe that the 'V' position(hand inside of elbow) as oposed to the 'L' position that was mentioned puts you in a more powerful position & better allows you to come out out external rotation with the elbow leading.I just see too much "sling" action & too slow a delivery from the 'L' position.Whether you get to your power position(Either 'L' or 'V')by using your elbow or hand,it is important to get a "scap pinch" to load your shoulder & create maximum force.It is easier to get this scap pinch from the 'V' position. Try it.

In the photo presented, I'd like to see the ball above the catcher's hand when his stride foot hits. I do like the fact that his hand appears to be inside his elbow.

JW
quote:
Originally posted by jerry weinstein:
...It is a "ricochet" exchange where the ball drops down from the bottom of the glove into the throwing hand...

Jerry,

My son's pop times have gone down dramatically by getting away from this exchange. He has changed to pulling the ball out of the side of his mitt (rather than dropping it out the bottom). He works to hear 2 pops - the ball hitting his mitt and his hand in soon after. He has moved from being a pretty good catch and throw guy to one of the top in the country thanks to Coach Schnall (at CCU) and Tony Guzzo working with him.

While I know there are many ways to skin a cat (and throw out a runner), dropping the ball from mitt to hand did not help redbirdjr.
Last edited by redbird5
Redbird,
Good comment. Serves as a reminder to all of us that this is not an exact science.There are no "always or nevers" in this game.We need to look at forums like this more like a buffet table. We take what we like & what works for us. There are no absolutes. What works for one player may not work for another.

Players need to have a filter so they can figure out what is best for them. The best & most long lasting lessons are self taught. That is why players need info so that they can figure out what is best for them.The best coaches teach players how to coach themselves. I tell players that it's their career & my job is to eliminate my job by teaching them to coach themselves.

JW

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.