Skip to main content

Would like to touch base with everyone who have been rehabing since T.J surgery. My son has completed the first stage of his throwing program and is now beginning the interval throwing program off the mound. So far he has had no setbacks, no pain or swelling. Once he got past the 180 ft. distance with no pain the confidence in his elbow really jumped. He will now do most of his rehab with his high school team( which will give my arm a rest). The coach wants him to dh and then rehab his arm for next year. Andrew is just happy to be playing again. Hopefully he will continue with no setbacks.

How is everyone else doing? This has been a long process for us and being able to talk with other players and their parents on this site has been a godsend. Hopefully everyone will post their progress and how they are doing this year.

Good luck to all.

Banditsbb
banditsbb - sounds like things are going great for your son!!!

My son is currently throwing from 90 feet - flat groung - 60% effort - So far no setbacks either.
I'll never forget the grin on his face when the doctor told him he was going to start throwing, or the grin on his face when he actually picked up the baseball and threw it(after 5 months)....priceless!!

Good luck to your son & keep the updates coming, I enjoy hearing about them!
Glad to hear that everyone is doing great. My son is in Phase II throwing from the mound 75 pitches at 75%. We Just came from Dr. Andrews on the 22nd and I asked him what we do after the throwing program is over and he said to start pitching in real game situations, as long as there is no set backs. Today we took a break from the throwing program because of some soreness in his forearm. The next step for us is 60 pitches at 75% and 15 pitches in batting practice. Dr. Andrews has also released him to play 3rd when he feels he can make that throw, we're not pushing it. My son, I feel is real nervius about the curveball stage. Has any of yours been nervous about the different stages?
dawgduck,

Glad to hear that your son is doing well,was wondering if he was playing third base yet. My son also plays third but has been doing a little infeild practice at second (shorter throw). The therapist thinks the extra throwing will help with his all around arm strength. They just want him throwing at about 50% for right now. We see the doctor on the 7th of April and will find out if he is released to play second. If not he's happy to just dh this year.

How's everyone else doing? Hope all is well. My son has been hitting pretty well and the most important thing is that there is no pain or discomfort at all. He says his arm feels as good as ever.

Surgery 8/03/07 now finishing 8th month of rehab. Good luck to everyone!

Banditsbb
banditsbb,

Sounds like your son is coming around also. My son played 3rd for the first time on the 21st of March. I have found out that the throwing program is going slower now that he is taking infield (don't want to push it). My son is just started throwing curve balls last week and I was real proud of him, he never hesitated when it came time to throw that first curve ball. I, on the other hand was very nervous. Also, when we started throwing from 3rd, Dr. Andrews wanted him to start out slowly and then by the end of the week he could start putting more on the throw.

I hope everybody is doing great with their recovery and would like to hear more stories. Thanks
Gentlemen,

We took the trip to Birmingham in June of 2005. My son followed Dr. Andrews throwing program to the letter. The following April he was back playing 3rd base, but no pitching. He threw some that summer but by spring 2007 he was back on the bump, and playing 3rd between starts. He says that his arm never felt this good. I hope it lasts. Good luck to all the recovering players.

Watch that pitch count Dad's, because the head coach might not!
hey guys im a rhp recovering from tjs. had it done 05/03/2007, so im about 14 months out. ive taken the process back real slow, missing this past spring season at flagler college, and i just started pitching in a few summer league games in the Grest SOuth League. Ive had two appearances thus far, both an inning apiece. The first one went great, two groundouts and a strikeout in 12 pitches. 2nd outing not so good. couldnt control anything, 3 walks and 2 runs in one inning. Im scheduled to throw another inning on tuesday so im excited about that. my arm was fine, no setbacks for about the first 9 months. i still havent had any major setbacks. my arm has felt fine in my two appearances, but boy will it hurt for 2-3 days after that. Its been really tough trying to figure out how to pitch again after being out for so long, but i think im starting to figure out my mechanics a little bit. I was 83-86, touching 87 88 before surgery, but i havent got back up there yet. I was 79-81 my first time out, and 80-83 the second time. Ive noticed that after pitching it my arm will be very very tight the next morning. MY ROM is fine extension wise, but but bending it in towards my shoulder can be very tight and sore at times. anyone have any experiences with the 13-14 month stage, and what i can hope to expect these next few months?
Hi all
I have a senior in college who had an MRI and was diagnosed with a good size tear in 1/2 of his posterior ligament? (elbow area) He injured it during the 08 season, took the summer off, still hurt so he went in for MRI. They want to have him rest it 4 weeks then try some rehab. Or he can do Tommy John surgery. I read somewhere where the rehab period for position players is 6 mos. Anyone heard of that and does it apply to catchers? And is 6 months the date they can start playing again? Also...can a tear like that heal by itself (hence the rest and rehab the trainer wants him to do)or, is Tommy John the only option. It's his last year, was on track to do well, and possibly get some looks from MLB this year. I've heard of guys trying to play through it but is that possible? He's not ready to be done and feels like if he doesn't get to play this last season that will be it for him. He's worked so hard to get to the point, hate to have it be over for him. Thanks for any info you can give.
For most who have TJS, initial recovery is about the same, but for position players the throwing program is shorter, I heard about 8-9 months until you can be back on the field. And there still is a time frame after you get back to throwing accuracy, which catchers need. I understand there are a lot of position players that have tears or strains, my son has a few friends who have tears (slight), but not bothered much or unable to perform as a pitcher or catcher might. They were drafted for production at the plate.
If it were my son, I would have him speak to the coach to find out if there is another position he could also play and continue to hit and finish up his last year, unless they are willing to get him a medical waiver, but most coaches won't for seniors. He may get some interest from MLB if he has a good bat, but you will have to fill out medical information and not hide anything. Some team may be willing to rehab him, but not pay for his operation.

I am sorry for your son's injury, best of luck.
I'm 17 and a sr. in high school. I had TJS 14 weeks ago and I havn't started a throwing program yet. I'm going to see my doctor (Kremcheck) next week to see if I can begin throwing. I want to know how long it took for most of you to have you arm feel "normal" again. I've been able to do more things with my arm lately but I still have some pain when I touch my hand to my shoulder and when I straighten it. Is this normal??
beelen21,

Welcome to the High school baseball Web. You will find alot of info and advice on this subject.First off make sure you listen to your doctor and give your arm time to heal. One of the worst things you can do is to try and come back to fast. Are you a pitcher or a position player?

My son had is T.J surgery on August of 07 after his sophmore year and started his throwing program in Jan. of his junior year (after 5 months post surgery). Andrew was his high school teams #1 starter as a sophmore and there was some presure for him to pitch at the end of his junior year. Don't be presured into trying to come back to fast. My son was able to play the infeild his junior year and had a very strong year. It sounds like your time frame would be about the same time as my sons. You can probably play your senior year but I doubt you would be able to pitch. Your doctor should have your entire rehab schedule and you need to make sure you follow it. If you plan on playing past high school you want to rehab for the future and not just your senior year. I know it's tough especially your senior year but keep a eye on the prize. It's a long and slow process. If you work hard good things will happen.

Again, it's good to get advice but listen to your surgeon and rehab therapist.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Banditsbb
I'm a pitcher and was also the #1 starter my sophmore year. My junior year I felt pain in my elbow and the doctor's I went to assured me that there wasn't a structual problem. I went to PT and it didn't get better. Eventually I went to Dr. Kremchek who gave me the surgery. I'm not rushing my return and I have been following the protocol that Kremchek gave me. The rehab has been fine I just still have some pain. I will see the doctor in a week and see what he says about it.
beelen,
Your orthopedic surgeon likely will start you on what's called an interval throwing program when he determines that you are ready. From what I have read pitchers generally don't return to competitive pitching for about one year. Most importantly, follow his advice and do not attempt to jump ahead in your progression as this will only risk further injury. The good news is that the vast majority of HS/College pitchers who undergo Tommy John surgery return to a competitive level of play. Be patient and work hard on your rehab.
beelen21,

Call your doc and ask. Many of us have experience with the process but every rehab is different and I doubt anyone here will assess the injury or give medical advice. Not any one surgery or rehab is the same.

In a generic sense you have a foreign piece in your elbow, your nerve has probably been relocated, they drilled holes in your bones, and you probably have a 10" smile on the inside of your arm. From someone who uses super glue on cuts and duct tape on blisters I would think theres a chance that could become inflamed. Stay on the prescribed schedule and call your doc if there is a change.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.