Skip to main content

If you aren't already in the know about Top Coach Podcast please do your self a favor and check it out.  Jack Warren has been doing some incredible interviews with the Top College Baseball Coaches for over a year now. 

Most interviews are about 30-45 minutes.  I usually listen while driving or walking the dogs.  The list of coaches reads as the "who's who" of college baseball.

Check it out... http://topcoachpodcast.com

Rich

www.PlayInSchool.com

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've been a lurker here for a while, but I'll spend my first post seconding Rich's recommendation of the Top Coach Podcast.  

This is an excellent program.  

Think "Sitting down and havin' a beer with Coach _________ and learning what makes him tick."  Maybe it's aimed at aspiring-to-be-successful coaches, but Jack presents an excellent vantage point for ballplayers and their parents to get a feel for a program's personnel and their vision.

A hundred easy ways to listen, too, even if you're not into podcasts (yet).

Not a technically savvy computer guy myself, the thought of listening to a "podcast" was a big step for me.  But boy am I glad I did.  Top Coach has changed my life. Awesome interviews with terrific individuals who just happen to be baseball coaches.  Most of wisdom they impart in course of interview has nothing to do with baseball.  Top Coach has made me aware of how impressive these coaches are as people and role model leaders of young men.

Originally Posted by 2017catchersdad:

A hundred easy ways to listen, too, even if you're not into podcasts (yet).

My favorite way to listen to a Top Coach Podcast is while working out in my poor man's gym in my garage.  The 45-minute interview duration is perfect for this Over-45 very out of shape "#1 Assistant Coach."

Link:  http://topcoachpodcast.com/

Last edited by #1 Assistant Coach

12/1/14   10:35 AM

PIS posted:

If you aren't already in the know about Top Coach Podcast please do your self a favor and check it out.  Jack Warren has been doing some incredible interviews with the Top College Baseball Coaches for over a year now. 

Most interviews are about 30-45 minutes.  I usually listen while driving or walking the dogs.  The list of coaches reads as the "who's who" of college baseball.

Check it out... http://topcoachpodcast.com

Rich

www.PlayInSchool.com

BUMP:

Thanks again PIS for the recommendation to check out Top Coach Podcasts.  Great interviews (45-mins worth) with coaches at D-1, 2, 3, JUCO, NAIA, HS, and some other baseball types.  Great resource to learn more about a coach and program you, or your player might be interested in.  Go to top of page and click tab for "Complete List of Interviews" and be ready to be amazed at the number of programs Jack Warren has delved into.

Link:  http://topcoachpodcast.com/

Last edited by #1 Assistant Coach

After a long hiatus, the Top Coach podcast is back. Good interview with HC Johnny Cardenas of Stephen F Austin. An inside look at how Covid impacted a typical mid-major program.

http://topcoachpodcast.com/

I listened to it and found it rather meh. Johnny isn’t one of my favorite guys and I’m surprised that his contract was extended. I also don’t know that I would call SFA a typical mid-major program. Not in Texas anyway. It’s bottom of the barrel. The facilities are terrible - their home field is a City park across town from campus - there is no winning culture there and no fan base.  Except for their basketball team a few years ago they rarely see a post season game in any sport (that comes to mind). I know a few kids that have gone to SFA to play baseball and it didn’t work out well for any of them.

@adbono posted:

I listened to it and found it rather meh. Johnny isn’t one of my favorite guys and I’m surprised that his contract was extended. I also don’t know that I would call SFA a typical mid-major program. Not in Texas anyway. It’s bottom of the barrel. The facilities are terrible - their home field is a City park across town from campus - there is no winning culture there and no fan base.  Except for their basketball team a few years ago they rarely see a post season game in any sport (that comes to mind). I know a few kids that have gone to SFA to play baseball and it didn’t work out well for any of them.

I have been wondering the past 2 years or so why SFA doesn't move on from this coach and hire Mitch Thompson...SFA baseball would be relevant in a very short time..

@LaunchAngle posted:

I have been wondering the past 2 years or so why SFA doesn't move on from this coach and hire Mitch Thompson...SFA baseball would be relevant in a very short time..

I agree with your premise but Mitch wouldn’t take the SFA job. His family is anchored in Waco and it would take a very attractive D1 job to lure him away from McLennan. He should have been interviewed for the A&M job (even if only a courtesy) but he wasn’t.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.