Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I would have to believe the top D3 programs would fare well against most D2 programs given they sometimes upset D1 teams with their best pitchers. It's best to play where you're going to get on the field.

In my son's situation there are very few strong academic D2's in our region. So he will chose a D3 over a D2 if he can't play D1 ball. There's a strong academic D2 in Massachusetts I would think the better D3's could handle.
Last edited by RJM
College is about the whole experience; not just on the baseball field. I would advise kids to find a school where they will enjoy being a student, their social life and everthing that helps them grow into a productive adult.

The fundemental difference between D2 and D3 is in their ability to offer athletic scholarships. All institutions have the ability to offer "merit" scholarships. With that said; for many a qualified student there may be far more aid at maby D3 schools.

Good D3 programs can compete across the board. That is not to say they are the same as D2 or D1 programs; but the game does not change.

My son choose a D3 program because he did want a good academic program; the net cost was less from the D3 program than the D1 program with baseball money and most of all he wanted to play.
RJM--We have a similar problem in that the D2's in our area aren't particularly solid academically. There have been a few out of state that have expressed interest that seem to be pretty solid academically.

I agree Ilvbb that academics are very important as well. All the schools my son is looking at are good academically. We just weren't sure how the top d3's compare to D2 ball. Currently he has several top 25 D3's offering him. His thinking is top 25 D3 trumps any but top d2s just like top 20 D2 trumps all but top 50 or so D1s.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.