Skip to main content

CentralIL:

I'm such a klutz...can't figure out how to send you a reply and the brains of this outfit is still out shopping so she can't show me...and of course the kids, who run circles around me on this contraption, won't help. So my follow up will be quite public...

Nice picture...thanks for sending it. It's nice that Neil has given of his time to help out the school and the Special Olympics.

Your brother, his coach, and Neil are all very handsome...and so is that nutcracker guy perched on Neil's shoulder.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.
Last edited by gotwood4sale
quote:
Originally posted by FastballDad:
CoachB...are you our sole moderator or are you co-moderating with beenthere?

I really don't know. I know MN-Mom has been kind enough to peruse our forum more often since we have had things get out of hand. We have both had to either delete some messages, pm members to remember the rules or lock topics. And they said there wasn't any Holiday Spirit these days.
Beenthere..What do you base this on? How did you come to this conclusion and what type of Baseball background does Mr. Hayward have?
(Trhit) this is not a throw-down...don't start doing pushups! Remember, we also reported that the academy he teaches at, is The place to be. The feedback we received indicated that the staff was great with excellent facilities. Just wonder what your criteria is for making the public statement.
Last edited by Travel Ball Select USA
quote:
Posted December 24, 2005 12:41 AM
TBS...When you follow high school baseball as I have done for about 40 years, you know.

Visit with him and talk baseball...watch him give lessons...ask his students...see their results.

Simple as

Been: Thanks, some of us have the time to chat on the board, not so easy to make special visits, conduct interviews and such. A little background and supporting info would have been helpful. Those of us without 40 years experience need to be walked through some of this.
Last edited by Travel Ball Select USA
tbs, what are you looking for in regards to the hitting instructor, I thought been gave you what he based his opinion on. I also make sure my son or daughter work well with the individual and they are satisfied with the results what works for one player might not for the next. Are you asking how far an instructor made it while playing baseball or what. What do you base you opinion on as far as a hitting instructor? As far as making the time to make special visits, interviews wacth a lesson or two I would think if the instructor choice is that important you would make the time.
As Been would say "Geez" why is everyone so defensive? To answer your question: Yes, what is the hitting instructors background. If I am looking for a hitting school, I want to know the instructors background, where did attend school, where did he play, where did he coach and any other interesting information. Look at CoachB for example, that guy has done it all! With regard to ranking instructors, well that of course is subjective. Certain geographical areas will have "their Places to be" In the Midwest "Strikes Baseball Academy" seems to draw the most attention. We hear more from the dad's of younger players that send kids there. Never heard a negative comment and quite frankly the stuff we hear is glowing with praise. I may have missed a prior post from Been, that contained more detail. If I did then I apologize and will get back to my study of the redundant.
TBS, I would think the questions you mention here would be covered in talking baseball, at least for me. I didn't mean it to sound defensive. Also most hitting schools instructors have websites that cover school, background, where they played and the interesting info that you mention. If you check out their site that would give you the background information that you are looking for before heading over to watch a lesson, interview ect. Also much of that info would be in the word of mouth info you receive when you first get interested in a facility or instructor. As far as ranking I totally agree, very subjective, everyone needs to find a good fit for their son or daughter. If one doesn't work out check around and find another.
There are 12 PAGES of comments about "Top Hitting Instructors" in this thread.

I don't have to "plug" anyone.

Ask kids and parents for the past 15 years. Look at the performance of the kids who were tutored by Steve. One year, I believe, 6 of the 11 members of the Sun Times All Area team were Steve's students. What else does anyone need to know?

Stop by and visit with him and the other staff members at STRIKES on 25th Avenue in Broadview; and, you will soon understand why what I say is true.
Geez..Now if that isn't defensive, what is? Why do you insist on making this a rancorous debate? As you can see, people are discussing their favorite instructors and establishments. This could have been an opportunity for you to thrill us with your acumen and then maybe if we were lucky enough, extrapolate (to infer unknown data from known data) something remotely beneficial.
quote:
Originally posted by FastballDad:
Give me results over credentials any time. It doesn't matter if a guy won a batting championship in the Major Leagues or if he is a career HS Coach...give me the guy who can teach.

Great Post! We all know that some of the most successful players couldn't describe why they did what they did. Teachers have to be able to not only know the game/hitting, they have to be able to relate their knowledge to the student in a form that the player understands. That is back to the saying that, "Knowledge is NOT POWER. Knowledge and knowing how to use it is."
Last edited by CoachB25
This seems to fit here'
quote:
Originally posted by Travel Ball Select USA:
Many great knowledgeable baseball minds...The truly knowledgeable know that the key to this game of failure is being able to respond and react to imperfection. The coach that can instill in a player the virtues that become the tools for building confidence, overcoming fear and as we all know fear hovers over perfectionism. The real key is being able to convey the message, that's what separates the truly great coaches from the pack..If you can develop that bond...boy that's magic..when a kid comes back after getting drafted and says Coach we did this or I wouldn't be here without you! Magic! Being able to confront fear and allowing yourself to fail and not dwelling on it, is the core foundation to success in baseball and life! So if that D1 scholarship doesn't come, the knowledgeable coach will have given the lad a far greater gift. The ability to move forward and the realization that mistakes aren't failures at all, rather the stepping stones to success. The truly knowledgeable coach knows how to help a player through difficult times not by slick production or lecture, rather being able to reinvigorate and re-energize the confidence and helping the kid to believe in himself again. It's a strange paradox that all of the great baseball minds have over the years stated that "Baseball is 90% mental, why then do coaches spend so little time on this facet of the game (New thread topic) Walk into any baseball school and you will hear the crack of the bats...not much talking...Lot's to still learn.
CoachB25 I know you couldn't bring yourself to address the aforementioned post, we did appreciate Gotwood's take on it. To garner a "fantastic" from you would make my Christmas complete.
Got a Q for you: Do you feel the kids of wealthy parents have an unfair advantage with respect to their ability to procure hired baseball instructors (Strikes 60 bucks an hour..we checked), strength & conditioning trainers etc. Should more be done to make these types of services available to those that don't have the funds?
Last edited by CoachB25
Advantage? Well, that depends upon your take on society. The affluent certianly have some material advantages with money being one. Yes, they can get/afford training for their children. I would suggest to you that my success (if you call it that) is exactly because I didn't have all of those things. I was hungry for success. I used taped balls, poor gloves, used spikes, ... I learned, "in the warriors code there's no surrender. Though your body says quit, your spirit cries NEVER. Deep in your soul's an undying ember that knows it you against you. That's the paradox that drives us all." (Survivor - Burning Heart) You see, advantages (Blessings) in life are exactly what you make of them.

applaude applaude applaude Aforementioned post!
Last edited by CoachB25
quote:
Originally posted by lineshot:
As far as not much talking in a baseball school, I have heard a lot of the crack of the bat. I have also heard a lot of talking about counts, situations, ahead, behind, pitch locations defensive strategy, and mental toughness being able to learn forget and press on.

TO ME, THIS IS AS IMPORTANT AS THE DRILLS! It does my heart good to read a post such as this where players are afforded the opportunity to learn the game along with the drills!!!
Thanks coach, I agree and many thanks for the clapping hands. My head was still kind of spinning from the "We know nothing, knowledge is knowing nothing concepts" When it dawned on me "The great aim of education is not knowledge but action". The degree of your action can indicate the depth of your commitment. It can also determine the measure of response you'll get from your environment. That said, the kids from all walks of life will find a way to benefit from their own environment..They will make it happen because they have the desire and ability to find purpose, focus on it (as you apparently did coach) and commit to it! While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior!
lineshot:

quote:
Originally posted by lineshot:
As far as not much talking in a baseball school, I have heard a lot of the crack of the bat. I have also heard a lot of talking about counts, situations, ahead, behind, pitch locations defensive strategy, and mental toughness being able to learn forget and press on.

I'm glad to hear that this has been your experience...situations, mental toughness, stategy, etc. ...essential stuff.
As an instructor myself I find that many of the "advantaged" kids may take lessons once a week or more. That fact gives them an opportunity to maximize their abibility, BUT, few actually do because they believe that their lessons ARE their practice time for the week. I fight CONSTANTLY to get my students to swing the bat EVERY DAY. I don't ask for hours either. Just give me 5 or 10 good minutes EVERY day and steady improvement will follow. The more GOOD minutes you spend the better you become.

Once a week is certainly better than none and I think things can be accomplished in that time for sure but the advantage only becomes significant with quality practice between lessons. Just like a musical instrument.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.