Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The top 4 is pretty clear in the Southeastern District, with Western Branch, Indian River, Grassfield, & Great Bridge at the top of the class. Each has a clear ace on the mound (Nick Thompson, Dean Ali, Cody Cox, & Anthony Stokes, respectively) and have strong upper-classes.

Hickory is always in the mix, while Nansemond River surprised last year with a lot of youth on the field. They could take strides this year, but losing Keeton, Pitt, Long, & Rivers will be VERY tough.

Ali ('10) at Indian River & Thompson ('11) at Western Branch should duke it out for Southeastern District Player of the Year, while pitchers Cox & Stokes each can swing the bat as well.

Other returning 1st Team All-District players are 2B David Rice (Deep Creek), SS/P Matt Dickason (Indian River), 3B/P Josh Carter (Indian River), & DH/P Ryan VanAssch (Great Bridge).

Ali won the P.O.Y. award last year as a Junior, while Thompson, IMO, is the next stud to come out of the Tidewater area and had tremendous numbers last year as a sohpomore.
Last edited by Smith Baseball
Here are some of the best kids based on my observations.

Southeastern District

Hickory
Danny Grauer '10, P/C
Evan McCloud '11, OF
Matt Campbell '12, IF

Great Bridge
Anthony Stokes, ’10, P/IF (Bethune Cookman)
Ryan Van Asch '10, P/DH
Hunter Higgerson ’11, OF
Preston Grissom ’11, OF

Western Branch
Nick Thompson ’11, P/IF (ECU)
Brandon Doggett ’11, IF
Shane Johnsonbaugh ’12, P/OF

Indian River
Dean Ali ’10, P
Matt Dickason ’10, P/IF
Josh Carter '10. IF/P
Jordan Adair '10, C/IF (transfer from AZ)
Leland Clemmons '11, OF

Nansemond River
Kyle Moore ’12, P/OF
Brandon Lowe ’12, IF

Grassfield
Cody Cox ’10, P (ODU)
Rian Ellis ’10, P/OF (VMI)
Greg Millner '10, OF
Jason Inghram '11, P
Jordan Miller ’11, IF

Beach District

Kellam
Patrick Harrington ’10, OF (USC)
Jeff Difulgo ’10, P (NSU)
Ryan Kilmon ’10, IF (JMU)

First Colonial
John Bowman '10, P/IF
Buddy Lawson '10, P/IF
TJ Costen ’11, OF (USC)
Ryan Cook ’11, P/IF

Kempsville
Zach Smith ’11, P/OF

Ocean Lakes
Shawn Morimando ’11, P (ECU)

Cox
Zach Bach '10, IF
Chase Kyriacou '10, P/OF (NSU)
Garyson Bailey '10, P/OF

Princess Anne
Tyler Pitt '10, C
Zach Smith '10, OF
Chase Lemaster '10, P
Greg Tomchik '11, P

Landstown
Cameron Day '10 OF (NSU)
Scott Hurrell '11, IF
Jeremy Sandifer '11, P

Bayside
Tommy Kane '11, C
Casey King '11, 1B

Eastern District

Granby
Louis Singleton ’10, P

Maury
Brian Bashara ’10, IF (ODU)
Tyon Ore ’10, OF
Drew Williams '10, IF

Peninsula District

Kecoughtan
Jake Cave '11, P (LSU)

Menchville
Austin Chrismon ’10, P (ECU)

Bethel
Dakari Cooke '11. OF
Connor Henderson ’12, P/IF

Warwick
Brandon Delk '11, P/IF

Woodside
Terrell Joyce '10, IF
Last edited by redbird5
Let's not forget that Jave Cave transferred from Hampton Christian to Kecoughtan. That should give Kecoughtan a dominating pitcher once a week and a very good bat throughout the season.

At the Beach, I wonder if the loss of several seniors at Cox, will finally allow First Colonial and Kellam to advance? Kellum has a lot of good seniors. If they are going to advance, this should be the year.

The same may be true in the Eastern District. With the loss of Cowgill and Garrett (and others) at Maury, will Granby be the team to beat?

In the Southeastern, five teams, Grassfield, Great Bridge, Hickory, Indian River, Western Branch, should contend. Would not be surprised to see any of them advance.
quote:
After those 3, you have all underclass - Soph and Frosh. So, a lot of things have to go right for Kellam to be successful.

Agree completely. Three players of that cabliber do not a complete team make. However, I would imagine any coach at the beach would pine for a lineup with Difulgo on the hill and with Kilmon and Harrington in the middle of their order. Let's see how far some development and leadership can take this group.
quote:
Originally posted by grasscutter:
Agree completely. Three players of that cabliber do not a complete team make. However, I would imagine any coach at the beach would pine for a lineup with Difulgo on the hill and with Kilmon and Harrington in the middle of their order. Let's see how far some development and leadership can take this group.

I completely agree. I am hoping the youngsters can develop quickly and learn from the senior leadership. Plus, the coaching staff at Kellam is as strong as any in the state. Good things are happening at Kellam.
Redbird,

I heard tales that Smith left Kempsville. Not sure if it is true, just what I heard. His mom used to post on here, so if you're out there, give an update.
Being from Chesapeake and new to the beach, I am quite sure you have left some players out from some beach schools. Master Recruiter Saipan Warrior can probably help more than most.
As far as Kellam goes, Grasscutter, I think there will be more competition outside of the lines. That might be where the best games are to watch!!!
As far as three DI players beating the beach, not sure! Off the top of my head, Kellam had more that that a few years ago, I believe First Colonial went further that year. Hope I don't leave anyone out, Ray to Auburn, Lottman to VMI, Curl to Maryland, Taylor drafted. Then you had, Neumann to CNU, Pisula to VWC and Moyer to another D3 (can't remember which one).
Alot depends on the schedule, but lets face it, the way the beach is set up, you just have to get to the tournament, win 3 games and you are on your way.
And if you have a pitcher like Dan Hudson, he can pitch every other game and throw 3 thousand two hundred pitches in a season and win it all for a team!
quote:
Originally posted by 1943 yankees:
Redbird,

I heard tales that Smith left Kempsville. Not sure if it is true, just what I heard. His mom used to post on here, so if you're out there, give an update.
Being from Chesapeake and new to the beach, I am quite sure you have left some players out from some beach schools. Master Recruiter Saipan Warrior can probably help more than most.
As far as Kellam goes, Grasscutter, I think there will be more competition outside of the lines. That might be where the best games are to watch!!!

yes,kids left off from PA and FC
Indian River 3B/P Josh Carter ('10) needs to be on this list. He was 1st team All-District last season & as I coached him this summer, everything seemed to "click" even more for him. He batted .400 with 5 HRs (one off of VMI's John Garrett) in 60 ABs and has gotten bigger/stronger as well.

Also, you may want to add the very recent transfer to Indian River, C/3B Jordan Adair ('10) to the list. From what I understand, he has batted around .350 with 10 HRs and 50+ RBI over the past two seasons in a very talented/tough zone in Arizona and was selected All-Region in both years.
Last edited by Smith Baseball

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.