Skip to main content

In as far back as my memory goes (Memory Not Full Yet), this very well might be the first time two CPL teams face off in the State Sectional Semifinals. Certainly this is the first time in either schools history that they have gotten this far in the IHSA State Baseball Playoffs.

Tomorrow afternoon at Mount Carmel at 4:30 pm it is Young vs Jones. These are two of the top 2007 CPL baseball programs and they come out of the CPS Magnet School system.

Come out to see them play.

CPL Baseball ~ It's Getting Better All The Time!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

After checking the IHSA website, it would be virtually impossible for a CPL team to not make it to the Sectional per the assignments. I was somewhat taken back by the difference in the enrollment of Young and Jones. Jones is in the mid 700s and Young is somewhere around 1,900. That bodes well for Young although on any given day...
I am sure both schools are thrilled to be in this situation.

Dave Rosene is the Head Coach at Jones and is a close personal friend. I already told him my loudest cheers will be going to Young! Anyway CPL is lucky to have him in thier coaching ranks as he has a storied past. Prior to Jones he was the Assistant Athletic Director and Head Coach of the Varsity Baseball Team at Marquette High School in Michigan City, Indiana. In his first year at Marquette the Blazers finished 24-7 under Rosene's leadership and were the Indiana State Regional Champions for the first time ever qualifying in the "Elite 8" in the State of Indiana. Rosene brought Marquette its first Regional Title for any sport in the schools history

In 2005 Rosene was named the "Outstanding Indiana Boys Baseball High School Coach of the Year by the Michigan City News Dispatch newspaper. Prior to Marquette, Rosene spent 13 years as Head Coach of the Varsity Baseball Program at St. Ignatius College Prep in Chicago where he claimed 217 victories and two Catholic League Regional Titles and was recognized in 1994 as the "Outstanding High School Coach of the Year" voted by the Chicago Catholic High School League.

I won't go into anymore about Young, but I am certain Coach Chris Cassidy will have his Dolphins ready for a very good game. Go Dolphins!

Lets play ball!

CPL Baseball ~ It's Getting Better All The Time
Last edited by mark ormond
On Tuesday, Young Volleyball became the first Public League team to reach the Elite Eight since 1996, when Mather got an automatic bid. The talent runs deep at Young and this is another first time event in the school's 32 year history. The Dolphins defeated St. Ignatius 26-24, 23-25, 25-21 to win the St. Ignatius Sectional.

According to the Chicago Sun Times the sectional-championship match was marred by some controversial calls, yellow cards and there were even fan ejections, but in the end it was the leadership of Young captains Robbie Shintani and Michal Klimek that made the difference.

Mr. Kennedy - It is easy to promote a good thing and the Whitney Young brand is a very good thing!.....One more thing, You and me should get together, because who knows.....it will happen that someday, someway,......We will be wearing rings on every finger and........I might be comforting you.
Varsity Basketball Head Coach Tyronne Slaughter and I have had many discussions about the Whitney Young label and the importance of brand marketing the school name. He has a deep marketing background as do I.

A brand is more than a look or a logo—it's a collection of words, images, ideas, and emotions that comes immediately to mind when someone thinks about the Young institution. In short, our brand is the promise that is made to stakeholders (and prospective stakeholders) that expresses our school's core values. A promise that, if applied effectively, can help increase the breadth and depth of the talent sector in the enrollment, boost giving, create awareness, and deliver relevance to the people who matter most to our school, the Young students.

The key to brand marketing—the ultimate litmus test—is what pops into a student's or donor's head upon hearing the Young institution name. If their response is "good school," that's another way of saying they don't know much about you. A school is at greater risk if it's a "best-kept secret." Suffice it to say that with 15,000 students applying for 435 Freshman spots each and every year, Young is no secret.

To effectively communicate your promise, you must first make a promise that matters, one that is clarified through a process that engages the entire community and other key stakeholders.

Tyronne Slaughter has a vision to take the Whitney Young name beyond Illinois, and to elevate the school's status on the national scene. I believe he will be doing that this year with the talent he has in the Young basketball program.
I have a couple of theories why you feel the need to promote Young. The first is you're trying to convince yourself or your friends who questioned your sanity, (your words not mine) about sending your son to a CPS that you made that right decision. Or you're just trying to suck up to the school's coaches and administration. So your kid will recieve more favorable treatment.

And I really don't think Young needs you for promotion.After being the subject of numerous newspaper and magazine articles and even being featured in a movie. I think the "Young Brand" is pretty well known already
It's a Chicago public school. I really don't think there's much more that anyone has to say. The more you talk about it, the more insecure you make yourself sound about your decision. If your son is happy there, then that's all you should concern yourself with - not convincing everyone else that WY in the Big Time Best at everything. If it's true, we'll all figure it out eventually.

And tell me why would you want to go to a magnet school that doesn't even pride itself on taking the BEST students? Instead they focus on maintaining a racially balanced student population - so once they reach their quota of African-Americans, it really doesn't matter if you're better qualified than every Hispanic student that applies. It's already been proven that the quota system rarely breeds long term success. "Am I here because I'm the best, or because they needed more Asian students?" Bright kids will figure that out pretty quickly. Maybe it just takes the adults a little longer...
Watch WWME-TV-Channel 23 for a just taped 30 minute video segment featuring Class of 2009 CPS Sophomore Standouts. This segment first airs on Saturday, June 2 at 10:30 am and repeats again on Sunday June 9, at 10:30 am. This CPS sports segment may also show up on Channel 23 at other times of the month of June 2007.

The CPL 2007 Whitney Young Sophomore Baseball City Champions are profiled and interviewed. Appearing in this video with Coach Josh Locks are Dai Bowden, Jack Cinoman and Jason Ormond. All are Class of 2009 alums of Clubbers-Chicago Baseball!

Also featured on this taped interview is Walter Payton Sophomore standout Evan King who just won the IHSA Boys Singles Tennis Championship!

WWME TV sports programming features Big Ten Conference Games, Illinois, Northwestern and Depaul Games and the CPS Sports Game of the week.

CPL-It's Getting Better All Of The Time!
In the Mount Carmel vs. De La Salle game that resumes today at 3:00 pm, Mount Carmel has been chasing De La Salle the entire game. Mount Carmel has battled back, but De La Salle has been right there with them and has met the challenge.

The score is tied up at 8's in the top of the 10th inning with De La Salle , #7, 8, and 9 batters at the plate. For Mount Carmel it is the #2, 3, and 4 hitters.

Today, however, it is a Brand New Day

Good Day Sunshine!.....Let The RAIN Go Away!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.