Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by Quincy:
quote:
Originally posted by XV:
Quincy, how does one check his swing if he is using "extension" to "power" the swing, in other words, "using the triceps" that you preach about?

How does one check his swing if he is using handle torque to power the swing?

The answers to these two questions will show what you know about a high-level swing, and how the human body works.

Hint: the answer is not the same for both questions.

The answer is actually quite different for each.

In the tricep swing, a batter does not check swing. He follows Joe McCarthy's advice. If you're gonna swing, swing.

In the box grip swing, the bat is in the check swing position for the majority of the travel. Swing is initiated late by rear arm tricep flex.

At what point then do you decide to swing? There is only "swing"? There is not a "no swing" At what point do you decide to take?

This guy is using a "box grip". He also does not use tricep flex. He uses supination of the hand to "turn" the barrel. He does NOT extend his elbow. He tucks his elbow. He does this with his bicep and back muscles. The bicep also supinates the forearm and is a "better" supinator when the elbow is bent. Why would you even post a video in which you don't even see what is happening? Why would you post a video that, once again, proves yourself wrong?

Last edited by XV
It should be noted that when anyone in this thread comments on what constitutes a "Major League Swing," it is simply their opinion on that. Each of us have our own opinions on that. Few posting in this thread have actually provided coaching support to anyone that has ACTUALLY played in the Major Leagues. Just wanted to clarify that. All of our opinions, including mine, and $6 will get us an extra value meal at Micky D's.

Of course, anyone that disputes this is welcome to mention those that they have coached that have made it to MLB so that they can stake their claim. Cool Smile Big Grin
Coach, Jed asked Ned if he had a million dollars would he give him half.....Ned said you know I would us being such good friends and all........

Then, Jed asked Ned, if he had two pigs would he give him one....Ned said, now that ain't fair 'cause you know I got two pigs...

I don't eat red meat...I'll take the McSalad.... Smile
Last edited by BlueDog
quote:
This guy is using a "box grip". He also does not use tricep flex. He uses supination of the hand to "turn" the barrel. He does NOT extend his elbow. He tucks his elbow. He does this with his bicep and back muscles. The bicep also supinates the forearm and is a "better" supinator when the elbow is bent. Why would you even post a video in which you don't even see what is happening? Why would you post a video that, once again, proves yourself wrong?

How can he be using a box grip with only one hand?

For that matter, how can one align the knuckles of both hands when using one hand?

The video is not what I say is a good swing, it is an example of good bat speed with one hand.

He is short to the zone and long through it. I couldn't guess at his swing with two hands since it isn't shown.

Coach B,

Although I have had conversation with many players who have made a few dollars playing ball, every player is different so what works for a Sheffield, Burgess or Gomez may not help the next hitter.

I'd be a few fries short of a Happy Meal.
Hide Post
quote:
If you recall, DMac talked about Drew Stubbs of Texas, who had a 5.5 frame swing coming out of Texas. The guy is fast as a deer, with a cannon of an arm, with incredible athleticism, and DMac forbid his organization from drafting the guy. The Reds did in fact draft Stubbs at 7th in the draft anyway, but so far his minor league career has been poor due to his hitting. So, yes, DMac's organization refused to draft him despite the fact he was widely considered to be the finest athlete in college baseball at the time all because the frame count of his swing was 5.5 frames.

1st of all Stubbs was the 8th overall pick.

2nd he signed for 2 million dollars.

3rd Dmac was the only scout who uses that gage. Scouts don'y count frames. Heck they don't have time to sit and count frames if they did.

Scouts want BAT SPEED period. They don't care if its 10 frames as long as it results in consistently hard contact. Dmac may have told you he counted frames. I'll bet he didn't have to. Good swings are easy to pick out. Hitters is another story.

quote:
For all the non-participants out there, this really is very simple. If your player/child has a swing with less than 5 frames of delay (as defined by DMac or bbscout), then the scouts will look at your player/child. IF IT"S OVER 5 FRAMES, THEY WILL PASS. That's all there is to it. If your player/kid has a 6 frame swing, you'd better work on swing quickness if you want your player/child to get to a higher level. All of this other blather out there is just noise. You need to develop a quick (less than 5 frames of delay) and power (greater than ~75 mph swing speed) or you're out. It's as simple as that.

4th guess that makes the above comments FALSE and from someone who doesn't really know.

5th in Stubbs 1st full season of pro baseball he hit 29 doubles and had 5 triples and 12 HR's and hit .270.....thats pretty darn good.

6th the player wasn't in Dmac's area and he didn't have that kind of pull.

7th The Nationals picked 15th so you will never know if they would have picked Stubbs.

8th Stubbs is a true centerfielder with plus power.True centerfielder means a 70-80 runner on 80 scale with 60-70 power on 80 scale with a 50-60 arm on 80 scale. His avg will not be a big issue with the extra bases that he will get. Those kinds of guys don't come along everyday. The Reds feel like they can help him improve as a hitter.

9th any scout who didn't see Stubbs that was in his area would have been fired.
quote:

How can he be using a box grip with only one hand?

For that matter, how can one align the knuckles of both hands when using one hand?

The video is not what I say is a good swing, it is an example of good bat speed with one hand.

He is short to the zone and long through it. I couldn't guess at his swing with two hands since it isn't shown.

Coach B,

Although I have had conversation with many players who have made a few dollars playing ball, every player is different so what works for a Sheffield, Burgess or Gomez may not help the next hitter.

I'd be a few fries short of a Happy Meal.

He needs two hands for a "box grip". He also needs two hands to "work the barrel". Maybe I should have said "this player is in the check swing position until contact"?

This is not a good swing because he is not using two hands. It is a poor example of batspeed because the ball only gets to the pitchers mound. It a good example of what it is: one-handed drills.

He is not "long through the zone", however you define it. He never extends his elbow into contact.
Bluedog,

I hear what you're saying. All I am saying is that, strictly speaking, what you're feeling isn't torque. In any powerful swing, forces are applied to the bat along the length of the bat. A batter does not push/pull the bat with the hands as described by Mankin. I know this is a nit, but when people start using the term torque it has a very precise meaning. Torque is not what is happening, that's all. Use of the running start, tip and rip, etc. can have value. But the foundation of the swing is the proper sequencing of the lower body and torso that doesn't rely on the hands.

I just got done with 107 girls at tryouts and the great bulk of them used their hands. Very few if any rotated their hips properly, the upper body finished rotation way too early (i.e., disconnection), etc. Sure, DMac's son may very well need tip and rip to get to the bigs, but that problem is in the 99.999% percentile. The kid was captain of a strong Pac-10 school on a full ride. He got that far without tip and rip. He would not have gotten that far without the rest of the fundamentals. That's all that guys like me are getting at. The vast majority of kids we work with need the basics, and basics like maintaining the box can be useful for getting beginners to an intermediate stage. But the same drills I give a 9 year old beginner girl at 4'6" and 60 lbs isn't the same advice I would give a 6'4" 210lb Brett McMillan.

-JJA
Oh, and yes, bat speed is of course important, at least as important as swing quickness. But it isn't everything. The guys with the best bat speed play slow pitch softball, where they hit nearly 120 mph compared to approximately 100 mph as the best MLB speeds. That's what makes baseball so tough. You have to have quickness to hit a 100 mph Joel Zumaya fastball, but if you don't have any power, it's a tough road to the bigs. Our challenge as coaches is to teach both swing quickness and good bat speed.

Anyone who has coached little league or fastpitch softball knows the value of swing quickness. The typical game is dominated by an oversized pitcher blowing fastballs by little guys. Rarely is the problem too many warning track fly balls that additional power could solve. Once a player gets enough swing quickness (fewer frames) and can hit the best fastball, the player can now play for a long time. The player can then concentrate on improving power to get the complete package, power and swing quickness. Then you've got a player.
Lastly, Swingbuilder, your comments about Stubbs are very telling. Yes, the Reds think they can make him a player, but they made a multi-million dollar bet on it that has yet to pan out. His hitting stats so far are dreadful as you know so DMac's admonitions were spot on, and this was before the draft. Maybe others were unimpressed, but his foresight made a huge impression on me and from then on I've been very sensitive to frame counts.

As you are also aware, the line of Stubbs (from Baseball America) was that he was an athletic freak, but there was a concern from "a few scouts" that he had a slow bat. OK, many scouts don't use DMac's techniques but I have been told that other organizations do count frames identically to DMac. It's an easy decision for me. I want the frame count of my players under 5 (I am very proud my 14 year old son is now at 4.5), and a swing speed above 75 mph. I'll take my chances with that. A quick, powerful swing isn't a bad thing to have, even if it doesn't meet the Tom Guerry seal of approval.

-JJA
Last edited by jja
I challenge you to ask a ML hitter if he knows the difference between bat speed and swing quickness.

Think a scout has ever put on a player report " Said player has a quick bat yet he lacks bat speed"

He would get a phone call as soon as it was read. The guys who wait the longest to swing don't have bat speed? They just have quick swings? Come on. Have you ever seen a guy who was quick on the base paths but couldn't run with some level of foot speed?

Slow pitch softball, bat speed? or leveraged strength and timing?

quote:
the Reds think they can make him a player,

He was already a player...a very talented one at that.

quote:
His hitting stats so far are dreadful as you know so DMac's admonitions were spot on, and this was before the draft.

Dreadful???

Lets see, I would not call it dreadful....

He was the 8th pick in 2006

so he has played 1 short season and 1 full season

187 hits 132 runs 35 doubles 8 triples 18 HR's 68 RBI's 42 Stolen bases and a .264 avg

That is far from Dreadful.

Tell you what JJA....I'll buy dinner if he doesn't make it to the big leagues and he according to you from according to Dmac didn't have a 5 frame swing. That frame counting can get you in trouble. Watch out.

quote:
As you are also aware, the line of Stubbs (from Baseball America) was that he was an athletic freak, but there was a concern from "a few scouts" that he had a slow bat.

Was it a slow bat or no swing quickness? LOL

quote:
OK, many scouts don't use DMac's techniques but I have been told that other organizations do count frames identically to DMac.

Name them.

Good scouts put the radar guns and the stop watches and the video camera's down alot of times and they watch a player play. Watch Stubbs play and you too would have liked him.
Last edited by swingbuilder
JJA, I hear what you're saying....

But, I do pull in opposite directions on the bat handle and very consciously.....Now, that I'm thinking about it, that does give me alot of quickness.....But, there is batspeed when I need it, too......So,.......

I don't downplay the rest of the body in the swing.......I just don't believe you can move the middle by trying to move the middle....The middle torques by pulling on both ends above and below the middle, IMO.....
Last edited by BlueDog
quote:
Originally posted by jja:
Oh, and yes, bat speed is of course important, at least as important as swing quickness. But it isn't everything. The guys with the best bat speed play slow pitch softball, where they hit nearly 120 mph compared to approximately 100 mph as the best MLB speeds. That's what makes baseball so tough. You have to have quickness to hit a 100 mph Joel Zumaya fastball, but if you don't have any power, it's a tough road to the bigs. Our challenge as coaches is to teach both swing quickness and good bat speed.

This is false. Assuming quickness and speed is already there, you need great timing when they bring in a reliever who's fastball is faster than the starter you have been dealing with for the previous 3-4 at bats. You start your swing process sooner in relation to the the release point. Not the swing itself.

Does this guy on the right have no "quickness"? Or is he simply "starting his swing process later" in relation to the release of the ball, whereas Sheffield is "starting his swing process sooner"?

Last edited by XV
JJA, I have to agree with XV.......

I believe it's really important for fastpitch and baseball players to be able to hit slowpitch........So important, that I pitch them both even though they don't play slowpitch.....

I see both of those swings as identical.....Front hip opening in the stride........Hands loading against the hip creating torque in the middle.....And, hands torquing the handle of the bat.........These guys are controlling the bat barrel with their hands, IMO....

If one swing has quickness, then, so does the other, IMO...
Last edited by BlueDog
JJA opined:

quote:
Sure, DMac's son may very well need tip and rip to get to the bigs, but that problem is in the 99.999% percentile. The kid was captain of a strong Pac-10 school on a full ride. He got that far without tip and rip. He would not have gotten that far without the rest of the fundamentals. That's all that guys like me are getting at. The vast majority of kids we work with need the basics, and basics like maintaining the box can be useful for getting beginners to an intermediate stage. But the same drills I give a 9 year old beginner girl at 4'6" and 60 lbs isn't the same advice I would give a 6'4" 210lb Brett McMillan

But when he discussed this with DMAC:

http://z6.invisionfree.com/Hitting/index.php?showtopic=355&st=285

DMAC said about tip and rip:

"My oldest son sent me the clips and I loved the last 3-4 that they showed. He holds the bat away from his body, points it at the sky, tips it towards the pitcher and then lets it fly.

1. better bat speed
2. better barrel position at contact
3. gets ball in the air more consistantly "

and

"If you can teach a youngster how to hit a home run, you will make him and his parents happy. The running start IMO is easier to learn for a youngster than a high leg kick or good rotation and can provide some home runs for the average guy. I think where we may disagree is that I don't think that you have to be an above average athlete to learn how to do it."

and

"Timing it for a good athlete is not hard, what has happened is that nobody has taught it to anybody. What is really hard is setting your bat behind your shoulder, go from a dead start and then expect rotation to bring the bat around and magically hit the ball. That has been taught to many kids.......good luck"
XV,

quote:
This is false. Assuming quickness and speed is already there,

That's the problem. Very few kids that any of us of work with have quickness and speed already present. Of course timing is important, no question. Many slumps at the big league level are caused by poor timing, not swing mechanics issues. But at lower levels, quickness and bat speed have to be taught.

Swingbuilder,

With Stubb's talent, he should obviously make the big leagues. Will he make it as a defensive outfielder and runner - in which case DMac was right - or will he be a premium hitter? That's the big question. Remember, he's a 23 year old now and yet last year in low A ball he hit 0.270 with a pathetic 12 home runs in almost 500 at bats, a lousy 0.364 OBP, and of course his old friend due to his 5.5 frame swing, an incredible 142 K's. The guy got a multi-million dollar signing bonus. It's safe to say that if the Reds were to re-draft at this point, he wouldn't have been selected at 8 in the draft. Time will tell and I would be happy to have dinner with you anyway, but I'm 100% with DMac on this one. Lastly, for the team with the frame count, I actually don't know first hand but will try to find out.

I agree Quincy. A lot of meandering. And a lot of rehashing which is getting old awfully quick.

-JJA
Last edited by jja
Bluedog,

If I had to hazard a guess based on what you're writing (but of course never having seen you swing) is that you're actually pulling on the bat handle with your bottom hand, possibly some with your top hand as well. You're pulling in a direction along the bat, not pushing with the top hand and pulling with the bottom hand in a direction perpindicular to the bat. If this is so, this would be consistent with all of your observations. Of course what I'm referring to is the start of the motion of the bat towards the ball at launch. Any pre-motion (bat tipping, etc.) could have many different push-pull actions that of course would require video to see what you're doing. But once you start towards the ball (i.e., after reaching the launching position with the front foot down), there is only a small amount of torque from launch until contact.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jja:
Bluedog,

If I had to hazard a guess based on what you're writing (but of course never having seen you swing) is that you're actually pulling on the bat handle with your bottom hand, possibly some with your top hand as well. You're pulling in a direction along the bat, not pushing with the top hand and pulling with the bottom hand in a direction perpindicular to the bat. If this is so, this would be consistent with all of your observations. Of course what I'm referring to is the start of the motion of the bat towards the ball at launch. Any pre-motion (bat tipping, etc.) could have many different push-pull actions that of course would require video to see what you're doing. QUOTE]

This is the running start and makes a huge difference in how quick you can get to the ball.

"But once you start towards the ball (i.e., after reaching the launching position with the front foot down), there is only a small amount of torque from launch until contact."

quote:
Originally posted by CoachB25:

powertoallfields, I'm trying to think about how the hands and only the hands can create torque. I'm missing something in my physiology understanding. Pressures are being applied by various parts of the body and that knob demonstrates minimum displacement at best. Reference the jersey number.

Coach,

I'm only talking about handle torque, not bat torque which is created by the hips and hands. I believe in both.
quote:
Originally posted by tom.guerry:
JJA-

Changing the subject again. You have no other alternative.

Handle torque exists at the mechanical level in mlb pattern swings.

N$$an's model shows how this force can quicken the swing.

Without handle torque there is no early batspeed, nor is there a control mechanism for late adjustment/plane matching.

Frame counting is not useful unless you know first you are comparing apples to apples, that is, counting frames comparing hitters who are already sorted into pattern, mlb or non mlb (such as "PCR").

Once sorted into pattern, landmarks can be identified consistently enough to apply some frame counting, BUT in any case whether or not the hitter has an MLB pattern swing is FAR more important than frame counting.

You should learn to recognize the pattern which bluedog is trying to explain to you.

No amount of swing quickening can enable a PCR swing to work in MLB. MLB requires early batspeed and late adjustment. Batspeed alone or trying to calculate percentage of batspeed due to torque is a waste of time. As Mankin says (below) you need quick acceleration around the entire swing plane, beginning with rearward acceleration.

PCR hitters who adhere to the PCR guideline that says torque does not exist in the swing are FORCED into a non mlb pattern which lacks early batspeed and can not be effective no matter how short you make the swing in terms of frame count. This is why PCR or "PCRW" is always OBSESSED with bat drag. There is no other alternative if you adhere to the guidelines.

How you conceptualize the pattern/goal at the mechanical level can have a big influence on how you communicate for teaching as Mankin's points out here:

http://www.batspeed.com/messageboard/14865.html

-----------

"When practicing your swing, it is important to keep in mind that the purpose of swing mechanics is not to get the hips to rotate ahead of the hands and shoulders, or even to take the hands to the zone. The ultimate purpose of all swing mechanics is to attain maximum acceleration of the bat-head around the 'entire' swing plane.

"With this in mind, when setting up your practice program, I would suggest that one of the most limiting factors to a hitter’s development is his tendency to only concentrates on those mechanics that swing the bat-head forward toward the ball. However, in a high level swing, before the bat-head arcs forward toward the ball, it must first be accelerated rearward from its launch position behind the head back to the lag position (first 90 degrees of acceleration).

"Therefore, as you prepare to initiate your swing, I would suggest you envision mechanics that would accelerate the bat-head around the entire 180+ degrees to contact -- instead of just concentrating on mechanics that accelerate the bat forward the last 90 degrees (from the lag position).

"As a hitter initiates the swing, it is very tough to keep his hands back when he is concentrating on swinging the bat-head forward. If a coach would have the hitter envision the bat-head first accelerating back toward the catcher at initiation, the batters hands would have to stay back to accelerate the bat-head in that direction.

"When we ask the body to perform an athletic movement, the sub-conscious mind will set up a motor program for the rest of the body to aid in accomplishing the task.

"Therefore, I have found that if I can get the batter to correctly envision the bat-head first accelerating rearward to the lag position before he directs his energy toward the ball, the more likely he will generate the most productive hip and shoulder rotation to accomplish the task.

"If, on the other hand, the batter’s vision of the swing is only forward, he will have the tendency to first extend the hands. This is mainly accomplished by using the arms to thrust the hands and knob, which does not require good hip and shoulder rotation. With this vision of the swing, keeping the hands back is at odds with his forward vision. He now has to consciously think, “Hips First.” -- Using cues to override a batter’s natural tendency to think forward is not as effective as changing how they invision the swing.

"Once I feel the batter is starting to have the correct vision of the swing, I use the cue, “Rotate the heel (initiate lower-body rotation) – Rotate the bat-head (initiate the acceleration back toward the catcher”). I ask the student, “what must you do with the top-hand as your elbow lowers to accelerate the bat-head back at the catcher?” After a few attempts, they learn to hold back (or pull back) the top-hand at the shoulder and allow shoulder rotation to accelerate the bat-head back. When they start to get the bat to accelerate correctly, the hips just naturally rotate ahead of the hands and they have the “L” in the back-leg at contact."

Jack Mankin

----------

Young hitters and Coaches/Instructors,

It does not get any better than this post!!!

Thanks, Tom!
SB
quote:
3rd Dmac was the only scout who uses that gage. Scouts don'y count frames. Heck they don't have time to sit and count frames if they did.

If you have time to come into an open forum and post about Drew Stubbs, then you have time to count to 4 or 5 on quicktime. Most scouts dont bring a video camera to games, my dad did. He felt it was a valuable tool to help re-evaluate when he got home.

Scouts "Dont have time to count frames"...C'mon Jeff. How long do you think it takes to upload a video onto a laptop and then count to five?....three minutes?

Dmac used frame counting, but it was just another tool to help evaluate....Like a stopwatch. By no means was this his be all, end all in evaluating. The thing with hitters my dad loved were actions, power, and the ability to hit the friday night starter....things not often discussed in here....things most instuctors dont teach, recognize, or know anythng about.

JJA-
I think your misinformed on Bretts swing history. I appreciate your comments on how you felt Dmacs frame counting had relevance, but I feel its arguement is a little misplaced. Send beemax a pm. He likes to type Smile and will answer any swing question you throw at him honestly.
Last edited by deemax
quote:
....there is only a small amount of torque from launch until contact.

This could be the torque that helps alot to square up the barrel of the bat on the ball, though......Perhaps, the degree of torque is less important than the fact that there is some vs. trying to square up the barrel of the bat on the ball with hands connecting to the shoulder and rotating.....
Last edited by BlueDog
quote:
It does not get any better than this post!!!

I have Mankin's video and I have read these posts as well as a lot of others on different forums. I think the 5 frame swing, pcr model most accurately represents what mlb hitters actually do, and I think that viewpoint is very well supported by looking at vids slowed down to frame speed.

The pcr model combines the following virtues:

1. It gives the batter the longest time to actually see the pitch before launching the swing.

2. It gives the batter the greatest bat speed through the strike zone.

3. It keeps maintains the intersection of the bat plane and the trajectory of the ball the longest of any of the models.

The kind of segmented sequential swing advocated by others sacrifice all these virtues.
quote:
The kind of segmented sequential swing advocated by others sacrifice all these virtues.

That's, in your opinion.....The problem with that is, you have probably never swung a bat with this segmentation and hand torque.....

quote:
I have Mankin's video and I have read these posts as well as a lot of others on different forums.

Wow!!..You're really qualified to speak about segmentation and hand torque, then....
Last edited by BlueDog
quote:
3. It keeps maintains the intersection of the bat plane and the trajectory of the ball the longest of any of the models

Is this done with posture?

quote:
1. It gives the batter the longest time to actually see the pitch before launching the swing

Is the bat moving while you are seeing the pitch?

quote:
2. It gives the batter the greatest bat speed through the strike zone.

Is this because the shoulders are powering the bat?....Or, being more specific, is it because the hands are connecting to the shoulder with scapula load and the pelvic muscles are powering the shoulders thus pulling the bat through the hitting zone with rotation?...Is this what you see happening?
Last edited by BlueDog
Bluedog,

Don't forget, as Adair points out in his book, once the ball gets roughly half way to the plate, there is no more adjustability. The brain and muscles of the body can't fire fast enough to give you adjustability after that point. As Adair says with some humor, you could actually close your eyes after the ball is half way to the plate and it wouldn't make a bit of difference. So the intuitively obvious notion, something that most people would swear by, that you're changing your swing during the swing, is simply wrong. The body can't process the information in the brain fast enough and the muscles can't fire fast enough to effect these changes.

Yes, I do remember William' off hand comment. A personal preference to be sure, but if torque was so important, wouldn't you want both hands fully on the bat?
quote:
.....but if torque was so important, wouldn't you want both hands fully on the bat?

JJA, I don't think so......The smaller surface area of the hands on the bat makes it much easier to torque the bat handle between the hands, IMO.....

If the grip pressure is only in the middle fingers, it makes a big difference in the ability to torque the bat handle between the hands and not allow the hands and bat to move forward to the ball as the first move....

The hands are fully in control of the bat...Just not as large a surface area on the bat, that's all.......
Last edited by BlueDog
If you put one middle finger of each hand only on the bat, you would have to torque the handle to move the bat with any amount of control......

The fingers would have to pull perpendicular to the bat in opposite directions to control it.....

If you put two fingers of each hand, it's get even easier to control the bat with hand torque....As you add fingers, you will eventually reach a point of diminishing returns, IMO....
Last edited by BlueDog
quote:
Originally posted by jja:
Bluedog,

Don't forget, as Adair points out in his book, once the ball gets roughly half way to the plate, there is no more adjustability. The brain and muscles of the body can't fire fast enough to give you adjustability after that point. As Adair says with some humor, you could actually close your eyes after the ball is half way to the plate and it wouldn't make a bit of difference. So the intuitively obvious notion, something that most people would swear by, that you're changing your swing during the swing, is simply wrong. The body can't process the information in the brain fast enough and the muscles can't fire fast enough to effect these changes.

Yes, I do remember William' off hand comment. A personal preference to be sure, but if torque was so important, wouldn't you want both hands fully on the bat?

http://www.hittingillustrated.com/library/Posadasidebyside.gif

How in the world can you watch these two clips and believe what you are saying about the half way to the plate comment?

As far as the brain can't process fast enough and the muscles can't fire fast enough comments, I believe this is the golden statement. This is the difference between a Mankin learned swing and a PCR swing or Ted Williams vs. Rick Ankiel swing. From a dead still bat, I think this statement is right on, but from a moving bat that is being torqued with the hands it is false. This is the adjustability Mankin talks about. Good swing vs. MLB swing, if you will.
Last edited by powertoallfields
The hand torque that he refers to is the weight of the bat head exerting force on the wrists causing them to bend. (rearward first blur often seen on video)

The arms extend to react and 'catch up' to the bat head speed only to have the wrists uncocked again by the weight of the bat head in motion. (second blur on video before contact)

Notice the first move is pulling the bat down into the swing at aproximately a 90 degree angle to the bat.
Last edited by Quincy
JJA, I used to believe that ball halfway to the plate it's too late to adjust stuff....Not anymore, though...

However, if you're swinging with PCR, I think it does apply....Set your swing plane with posture and go with it...If you're off, well, you're just off, that's it.....You're either gonna miss the ball or not make good contact....Just write it off as, you got fooled...
Last edited by BlueDog
quote:
The hand torque that he refers to is the weight of the bat head exerting force on the wrists causing them to bend. (rearward first blur often seen on video)

That has to be a really heavy bat, lol. What force? From what power source? Is there something in the hips that can put force on the wrists and cause them to bend??? Wow!

The arms extend to react and 'catch up' to the bat head speed only to have the wrists uncocked again by the weight of the bat head in motion. (second blur on video before contact)

Quinc,

What put the bathead in motion in the first place?

Notice the first move is pulling the bat down into the swing at aproximately a 90 degree angle to the bat.

Pulling the bat with which hand?
quote:
Originally posted by BlueDog:
Do we ever know if a MLB hitter had it all the way or made a late adjustment to the ball?....Probably not......But, I do think this was a late swing adjustment to the ball...

I happen to believe he is adjusting his swing all the way until he fires his top hand to the ball, which is about 10' from the plate, JMO though. It may even be longer or closer to the plate. In this clip, it is when you first see his top hand reappear after it has disappeared behind his left shoulder.
Last edited by powertoallfields
quote:
Both hands.

I often refer to this action as if the batter were throwing the bat at the base on the foul line in front of him.

Wait...let me get this straight. They always throw the bat at either the 3b foul line or 1b foul line depending on if they are right or left handed? The location of the pitch means nothing??? This sounds like casting to me.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.