Skip to main content

StarDad,

You cannot step to where the pitch is and be successful. Every hitter in the Majors strides to the same point every time no matter the location (unless they know where it is going to be pitched). Ted Williams talks about this in his book. If your timing is right, your stride foot will get down with the ball about halfway to the plate. Any later than that and IMO you have no shot at making contact.

I do agree that you should teach from the feet on up, but telling a hitter to change his stride depending on the location of the pitch is wrong IMO.
Last edited by beemax
quote:
Originally posted by beemax:
StarDad,

You cannot step to where the pitch is and be successful. Every hitter in the Majors strides to the same point every time no matter the location (unless they know where it is going to be pitched). Ted Williams talks about this in his book. If your timing is right, your stride foot will get down with the ball about halfway to the plate. Any later than that and IMO you have no shot at making contact.

I do agree that you should teach from the feet on up, but telling a hitter to change his stride depending on the location of the pitch is wrong IMO.

Last edited by itsinthegame
Being able to ID pitches has to do with eyesight and getting your stride foot down on time, not the direction of your stride. Again, I just suggest to read what Ted Williams has to say about the stride, because anything I say is basically a regurgitation of what he says about it.

As far as guess hitting, again, read what Ted Williams has to say in his book about that.

PG, ditto.
quote:
Originally posted by beemax:
Being able to ID pitches has to do with eyesight and getting your stride foot down on time, not the direction of your stride. Again, I just suggest to read what Ted Williams has to say about the stride, because anything I say is basically a regurgitation of what he says about it.

PG, ditto.

Stardad you talk about different strides depending on the pitch. The hitting instructor we know says stride should always be consistent, point of contact will vary by pitch. If it is an inside pitch you are hitting the ball in front of the plate (hitting zone) with hands inside the ball. An outside pitch you are letting the ball get deeper into the hitting zone and taking it to right field (right handed batter).
quote:
Originally posted by BD13:
Stardad you talk about different strides depending on the pitch. The hitting instructor we know says stride should always be consistent, point of contact will vary by pitch. If it is an inside pitch you are hitting the ball in front of the plate (hitting zone) with hands inside the ball. An outside pitch you are letting the ball get deeper into the hitting zone and taking it to right field (right handed batter).

StarDad,

Congratulations, sounds like you have a talented son.

Please take this the right way. I would find a very good hitting instructor. Your son might be doing great right now, but I'm afraid he will hit a snag as he climbs to a higher level. You want the swing to be as consistent as possible and that is tough enough against top pitching. Changing the load, posture and stride would just make it even harder to develop a consistent good swing.

But if you are positive your way is best... By all means keep doing it that way. Has your son seen real good pitching yet?

Best of luck
quote:
Originally posted by PGStaff:
StarDad,

Congratulations, sounds like you have a talented son.

Please take this the right way. I would find a very good hitting instructor. Your son might be doing great right now, but I'm afraid he will hit a snag as he climbs to a higher level. You want the swing to be as consistent as possible and that is tough enough against top pitching. Changing the load, posture and stride would just make it even harder to develop a consistent good swing.

But if you are positive your way is best... By all means keep doing it that way. Has your son seen real good pitching yet?

Best of luck

StarDad,

I'm guessing your son is talented enough to do some things wrong and still hit very well at the level he is at.

Maybe, I don't understand exactly how he changes his stride so that it lands in different places. Where did you learn this technique? Or is it something that you thought of and it just made sense to you?

Anyway, do you have any video clips of your son that could be posted here.

BTW, I think there are some people who post here that could be very helpful, if you are interested in what they write.
quote:
Originally posted by StarDad:
quote:
Originally posted by PGStaff:
StarDad,

I'm guessing your son is talented enough to do some things wrong and still hit very well at the level he is at.

Maybe, I don't understand exactly how he changes his stride so that it lands in different places. Where did you learn this technique? Or is it something that you thought of and it just made sense to you?

Anyway, do you have any video clips of your son that could be posted here.

BTW, I think there are some people who post here that could be very helpful, if you are interested in what they write.

Well, this technique was developed during a lot of practice in the Machine pitched batting cage. When I found he is not hitting the OC when he was young, I asked him to " Step in", don't give me those "ugly"" bend-over" kind of "Major league Bunt"(we called it) . We intentionaly stay away from the plate, let the pitch come outside. So when the pitch comes, he start lift his front leg, body lean toward the outside and give a full swing, and his front foot always landed in 3-4 inches, it hits very well. right now, we usually bat in the 75mile/h to 85mile/h cage. He can catch the OC almost everytime.
Sorry we don't have a video click. I don't really want bragging about it, since lot of coaches here watching the board, I don't want give out my son's ID until he become a senior in the HS and by the college recuiting time.
As far as the stride change, I don't feel anything wrong with it. You know Cardinals' SS DEstan has a running swing like the "Happy Gilmore." I don't think everyone can learn it.
This topic is proof in the pudding of when legendary coach Rod Dedeaux (USC) said "more players never reach their potential do to lack of proper instruction rather than lack of ability."

So much of this "thought process" on here is comical.
I can not even comment anymore after hearing about different strides for different pitches/locations...
Last edited by Diablo con Huevos
quote:
Originally posted by Diablo con Huevos:
This topic is proof in the pudding of when legendary coach Rod Dedeaux (USC) said "more players never reach their potential do to lack of proper instruction rather than lack of ability."

What if you followed the second rated instructor? If all the major leaguers got the same instruction they should swing all the same as those Japanese players did. (Funny how can they swing alike eachother) I don't think A-ROD is good because he got a good instructor. There's natrual talent in him. Beware who you learn from.
As long as it works, there's nothing wrong with it.
Last edited by StarDad
StarDad,

You have every right to coach your son however you want. But you should understand that every good hitting instructor will disagree with some of your theories.

I'm still interested in how you came up with your ideas. Did you have a career as a player or coach?

Nothing wrong if you didn't play or coach, but why not look up someone who is a proven good hitting instructor who you can trust and talk to him about hitting or better yet let him work with your son? It might help your son become even better and I'm betting that's your goal.

IMO If your son is really talented, he will probably sooner or later run across a coach who you might disagree with.
Let's see, experts......

I know there's alot of 'em on Wall Street who tell people to hang in there while they are busy selling and getting out while the getting's good......

And, there's our politicians who are experts at representing us in Congress.....These are good, kind people who know what's good for us....Never mind the fact that so many of 'em are under indictment or in prison...

Is that like the Coach who has an agenda to play certain players, no matter what?...You know, like the ones whose parents suck up to him....
Last edited by BlueDog
Expert – It’s just a word!

There are experts and there are self proclaimed experts. To be honest I can’t understand why anyone would downgrade “expertise”.

If you go to a dentist, do you want an expert? How about eye surgery? Would you choose the village idiot or an expert mechanic to work on your car?

Would you choose Ted Williams or StarDad to teach your son how to hit?

There are those who think they are experts (lots of them) and there are real experts (not so many of them). The real experts have no problem recognizing that experts exist.

There are different levels of expertise and all experts don’t always agree with each other.

While I have never liked the word expert, they do exist. They are not all equal. For example there are some experts who post right here on this site. Anyone who has truly studied something for a long time is somewhat of an expert on the subject. Someone who has not spent that time and effort, but still acts like an expert, is just a fool. Anyone with a closed mind and who thinks they have everything completely figured out and has nothing more to learn, can’t possibly be an expert. IMO

Experts can sometimes be wrong. In fact, without ever being wrong they couldn’t have become experts. It takes experience to be one of the foremost experts.
Last edited by PGStaff
quote:
am sure I will have some disagreements with my son's coach when he plays the HS ball. I will let my kid prove them wrong if they have any doubt about my son's game.

StarDad,

Why would you want to intefere with your son's H.S. baseball career? Remember, it's his career your planning on messing with.......Make sure you can live with the aftermath if things don't go well.

My friendly advice as a concerned member of this HSBBW messageboard community would be "not to interfere" with your son's high school athletic involvement and don't try to force things to happen, let things happen through prayer and faith in a Higher Power. If it is meant to be, it will happen. Just be supportive, let it happen, and enjoy the ride from a safe distance. Smile
peace shep

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.