Skip to main content

Hey all,

Has anyone helped guide their student athlete through a transfer? Can you share any recommendations or advice? I am studying the ncaa portal. I just read that ncaa may vote this month to waive the rule about sitting out a year of competition. I know my request is vague, but I don't have a ton of details to share right now.

Thanks!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If your son has played and has proven innings or at bats, he may get attention through the portal. If he has not, he needs to attend JUCO to play and improve or attend D2,D3. You don't get better by sitting out a year. I am assuming  that you are referring transfer D1 to D1.

If they do give a one time transfer exception, coaches will go after the guys that have played and not sat on the bench.

Just my opinion, but there are going to be so many wanting to transfer, it will be a dog fight. 

I agree about contacting Rick, you need to know about transfer credits, etc.

Good luck.

@TPM posted:

If your son has played and has proven innings or at bats, he may get attention through the portal. If he has not, he needs to attend JUCO to play and improve or attend D2,D3. You don't get better by sitting out a year. I am assuming  that you are referring transfer D1 to D1.

If they do give a one time transfer exception, coaches will go after the guys that have played and not sat on the bench.

Just my opinion, but there are going to be so many wanting to transfer, it will be a dog fight.

I agree about contacting Rick, you need to know about transfer credits, etc.

Good luck.

Great advice TPM, especially the bolded sentences.  Always, put yourself in the college coaches shoes.   Would you be going after the guys that played or the guys that sat the bench?  Plus,  Covid-19 has exacerbated the transfer process.  If the NCAA opens up the transfer rule, it is going to look like the US southern border.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.