Skip to main content

The new Winter portal opened yesterday and closes on the 15th.  Lots of players already in and most are from HA schools from the IVY and Patriot League which is very surprising to me.  There are some new rules that will allow players to be eligible immediately this Spring.  I wonder if being a non scholarship player allows someone to be eligible immediately?  Are some of these HA kids going to be better places or were they just walk ons that gave it a shot?  I'd appreciate it if anyone has any insight as to what is going on.  Toi give those who don't have access some examples, Bucknell has 10, Brown 3, Cornell 6, Holy Cross 7, Penn 9.   Those numbers seem way out of the norm to me, but maybe there is a logical explanation?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@d-mac posted:

The new Winter portal opened yesterday and closes on the 15th.  Lots of players already in and most are from HA schools from the IVY and Patriot League which is very surprising to me.  There are some new rules that will allow players to be eligible immediately this Spring.  I wonder if being a non scholarship player allows someone to be eligible immediately?  Are some of these HA kids going to be better places or were they just walk ons that gave it a shot?  I'd appreciate it if anyone has any insight as to what is going on.  Toi give those who don't have access some examples, Bucknell has 10, Brown 3, Cornell 6, Holy Cross 7, Penn 9.   Those numbers seem way out of the norm to me, but maybe there is a logical explanation?

Graduate transfers.

Ivy graduate students are not eligible to participate. May be true of Patriot schools as well--certainly true for Army and Navy but of course they have a military obligation to fulfill before any hopes of grad school!

Of course this will die down once the extra COVID-eligibility years are used up. You may still see one or two who could have red-shirted during their 4 years of academics and are looking to continue playing out their eligibility at a school that accepts graduate transfers. There have been quite a few Ivy graduate transfers the last two years and you can expect the same for the next two seasons (2024 and 2025).

@ABSORBER posted:

Graduate transfers.

Ivy graduate students are not eligible to participate. May be true of Patriot schools as well--certainly true for Army and Navy but of course they have a military obligation to fulfill before any hopes of grad school!

So the students did one semester of a grad program at these schools, found out they couldn't play baseball after they enrolled, and are now seeking to transfer?

Genuine question, not being snarky.

@SpeedDemon posted:

So the students did one semester of a grad program at these schools, found out they couldn't play baseball after they enrolled, and are now seeking to transfer?

Genuine question, not being snarky.

No, they will play for their Ivy teams this Spring (2023), then graduate (they are all seniors), and then attend graduate school in Fall 2023 if they can get a baseball commitment.

@SpeedDemon posted:

Got it.

Strange though that the transfer portal is open now for play year-and-a-quarter from now. Does it open again after the spring season? Thanks.

I am not really familiar with that aspect. Until I saw the OP's post I assumed it was already opened for the following year. D1 Baseball lists the portals via years (2021, 2022, 2023, etc.). They also have this to say (regarding the 2023 portal) on their website:

"With the NCAA voting last April to allow one-time transfers in all college sports, the ability to transfer freely without sitting out returned to Division I baseball last summer. You can view the 2022 Transfer Tracker, here.

With that, we again expect a hefty number of players to enter the Transfer Portal between now and next fall. Players will have until July 1 to announce their intentions to leave their previous programs."

They have listed the 2023 portal for a while now and it is slowly growing. I'm sure it will grow quickly since Fall ball is wrapping or is already wrapped up. The grad transfers are the first to enter--so clearly it opened up before yesterday.

So perhaps it opens and closes several times?

@ABSORBER posted:

Folks can poke fun at Brown all they want but those players (especially those that started and played every game for their team) will have the last laugh as they are walking away with an Ivy education.

If they don't care about getting pounded in baseball for four years, you're right. There are other avenues than Ivies to end up with a quality career and make a lot of money. A kid who can play at Brown can likely star at a NESCAC and be on the same academic/career track.

@RJM posted:

If they don't care about getting pounded in baseball for four years, you're right. There are other avenues than Ivies to end up with a quality career and make a lot of money. A kid who can play at Brown can likely star at a NESCAC and be on the same academic/career track.

Pounded? That's not a very accurate description. They finished 6th in the Ivy last season. Show me some examples.

https://ivyleague.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=3688

Winning is great but competing is much more important to an individual player.

@ABSORBER posted:

Pounded? That's not a very accurate description. They finished 6th in the Ivy last season. Show me some examples.

https://ivyleague.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=3688

Winning is great but competing is much more important to an individual player.

Google Brown baseball history. Their last winning season was 2009. Almost everyone on this board knows Brown baseball is a joke.

I don't expect a lot of the P5s to have guys in now.  They can't play this year if they move to another D1, and the school can't take their scholarship if they finish the year.  I think most of the guys going in now, will be guys without athletic money, other non rostered guys will be gray shirted or red shirted...they will likely show up in July.  I may be wrong, but if you go D1, to JUCO, you don't have to enter the portal and can play in the spring?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.