Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Several of my son's teammates work with Tread Athletics and my son is just starting out going through their assessment phase. It seems like a very comprehensive program. From what I understand, they require a 12-month commitment (at least for college level, not sure for younger players) but you can scale services up and down a bit depending upon where you are in the season. I can let you know how my son likes it once he gets into it.

My son worked with them for a year. Smart guys with a customized approach. Unfortunately we did not see the results that we hoped. My 2022 only gained 2 mph on his fastball after a year with Tread.  When it came time for renewal we were told that velocity growth is not linear but I couldn’t swing another round. I think part of it was the fact that there was no relationship in between my son and his assigned coach. They just never clicked and it never worked. I would not do it again. I know I’m in the minority here.

Last edited by MuskyShane

You can negotiate the duration. My kid went for 6 months and the elbow injury ended it. He did have significant velo jumps, he is a C and OF and they tailored the lifting throwing and nutrition. He did have a good connection with his trainer but it is remote. I did ask the kid to consider "that guy" in MA if doing remote or train at a facility near us.

@2022NYC posted:

You can negotiate the duration. My kid went for 6 months and the elbow injury ended it. He did have significant velo jumps, he is a C and OF and they tailored the lifting throwing and nutrition. He did have a good connection with his trainer but it is remote. I did ask the kid to consider "that guy" in MA if doing remote or train at a facility near us.

Who is "That Guy" in MA?  I have competition?

@ARCEKU21 posted:

Is anyone recently trained with or still training with Tread?

son has trained remotely with them since Sept ..
it is a 1 year contract at over $500 per month
I accompanied him to Tread in Mid December for a week before XMAS after Coach insisted he come down in order to work on lower half hip release.

not too expensive like 500 for the week there. (it was 2200 at Driveline)
and its less for extended stays.
I was very, very beyond impressed with the place and operation.
A pitchers UTOPIA..
results are not instantaneous ..and vary upon work ethic and pitcher.

Son had previously topped at 91 and sometimes 92(4 seam) .. after a online coaching session 2 weeks ago , combined with increased motivation due to disaster outing..
last week he was sitting 92-94 and with a new 2 seam.  all of a sudden.
anyway he is probably going there for a month after season is over.

funny sidebar...
so when we went there in December before XMAS.  he was paired with two other pitchers
One kid about 22 , was from S Korea and in the Korea Minors..
He told my son in broken english and a funny way that his dad and coaches would spank him after a mediocre outing like where he only K'd 3 in 6 innings. (not joking though)
His Dad sent him there and he was in the middle of a 4-5 month stint there
his Dad said :
"Don't come home till you hit 95"
true story..
different culture..
So this has given me a new idea for his June Trip...

Pitchers considering starting a relationship with a remote pitching training/coaching firm like Tread or Driveline should probably read the recent thread titled “College pitching coaches…what do they actually do?”.  There is a wide range of expertise and engagement with college pitching coaches, and this type of firm can be a good supplement if, for whatever reason, you end up with a coach on the lower end of the spectrum.

fishnsail:

When we played the Korean National Team with our American Team {Area Code] Torii Hunter was one of our players.

If a Korean player made a physical error or mental mistake the Coach immediately [during the inning] removed the player from the game and instructed the player to place a 50 lb bag on his back and he ran "up and down" the hill behind the dugout.

If a player does not attend college or play pro baseball, they are drafted into the Korean Army for 2 years. BASEBALL is a serious business in South Korea.

Bob

My son did Tread for a while and he decided to bow out at the penalty of 1 month fee.  They did say if he wanted to start back up they'd apply that to his tuition.  Plus with the 12 Mo commitment (@$4,000) and leaving for college after 3, we weren't sure what his college coaches would think.  The Remote Coach was also not the right fit for him and we found him not as responsive.  Hard to get weekly call set up and because my son is not a talker, he needed someone who would lead the conversations about his training.  Seemed like coach wasn't prepared and didn't view his uploaded video's each week to review.  Conversations went like this.   "How are you doing?  Good?  Good?  Everything looks Good?  Just keep doing what you are doing"...He felt like he was not given clear direction on exactly what to work on and was left a bit too much on his own as there is a lot of optional work in the provided spreadsheet.   I think Tread is a bit overwhelmed right now and don't spend the appropriate time with high school/college athlete who isn't top tier.

I will mention my son is a dedicated worker, his former S&C and throwing coach took a MLB job and said on of the onlly reasons he stuck around to finish out the year was because of my 2 son's dedication and he just liked working with them.  So it wasn't like my son wasn't committed to doing Tread, which was a replacement for his former coach.

Also the spreadsheet you get with your Individual workout, can be hacked, ie it's all lookups and formulas to give you your workout (throwing drills and weight training) based on your evals and in season/out of season, etc. so you can basically unhide the sheets and see what to work on if you manipulate it yourself.  It's set up so any of the coaches can design a program based on your identified needs, and it's all there.  But to do so you really need to be an expert in excel. Not saying you should do that, just saying it's more about the eval than the program.

Do I think Tread is good, yes,, It's not a weighed ball program or a get velo quick kind of place... ... but you aren't going to get Ben Brewster or Tyler Zombro as your coach.   So just make sure it's a fit.  If you are looking for strong guidance remote training may not be the best fit, you'll know right away if the coach is dedicated to your improvement.  If you have patience and can just follow a program without having full discussions on exactly why and how and self learning/teaching, but simply do the work, it probably can work for you.

You need to go through the remote program before getting an invite to train in person at their facility.

Just my $.02

@HSDad22 posted:

My son did Tread for a while and he decided to bow out at the penalty of 1 month fee.  They did say if he wanted to start back up they'd apply that to his tuition.  Plus with the 12 Mo commitment (@$4,000) and leaving for college after 3, we weren't sure what his college coaches would think.  The Remote Coach was also not the right fit for him and we found him not as responsive.  Hard to get weekly call set up and because my son is not a talker, he needed someone who would lead the conversations about his training.  Seemed like coach wasn't prepared and didn't view his uploaded video's each week to review.  Conversations went like this.   "How are you doing?  Good?  Good?  Everything looks Good?  Just keep doing what you are doing"...He felt like he was not given clear direction on exactly what to work on and was left a bit too much on his own as there is a lot of optional work in the provided spreadsheet.   I think Tread is a bit overwhelmed right now and don't spend the appropriate time with high school/college athlete who isn't top tier.

I will mention my son is a dedicated worker, his former S&C and throwing coach took a MLB job and said on of the onlly reasons he stuck around to finish out the year was because of my 2 son's dedication and he just liked working with them.  So it wasn't like my son wasn't committed to doing Tread, which was a replacement for his former coach.

Also the spreadsheet you get with your Individual workout, can be hacked, ie it's all lookups and formulas to give you your workout (throwing drills and weight training) based on your evals and in season/out of season, etc. so you can basically unhide the sheets and see what to work on if you manipulate it yourself.  It's set up so any of the coaches can design a program based on your identified needs, and it's all there.  But to do so you really need to be an expert in excel. Not saying you should do that, just saying it's more about the eval than the program.

Do I think Tread is good, yes,, It's not a weighed ball program or a get velo quick kind of place... ... but you aren't going to get Ben Brewster or Tyler Zombro as your coach.   So just make sure it's a fit.  If you are looking for strong guidance remote training may not be the best fit, you'll know right away if the coach is dedicated to your improvement.  If you have patience and can just follow a program without having full discussions on exactly why and how and self learning/teaching, but simply do the work, it probably can work for you.

You need to go through the remote program before getting an invite to train in person at their facility.

Just my $.02

PM sent.

@HSDad22 posted:

Just my $.02

We had exactly the same experience.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.