Skip to main content

I just read the thread about "Who's more Intriguing", and it got me to wondering about my son.  In the scenario one was 6'4 and skinny throwing high 70's and the other was 5'11 but athletic cruising 82-83.... To be direct, My son is a true Junior, 6'2. 205lb lefty and also cruises at 82-83, he has touched 85 once. HIs 4 seam is flat, and his 2 seam has some good tail, along with a plus changeup and curve/slurve.  He has had a few phone calls with a couple small (I assume) Mid Major D1's but nothing overly telling during the conversations.  The question is, should he be looking/focusing on smaller schools? D2 or NAIA?

Thank you

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Extended Covid eligibility, the transfer portal and the new no sit transfer rule has significantly changed recruiting. More competitive D1 programs are opting for older, more experienced transfer recruits. It’s pushed a lot of potential D1 players down the recruiting pipeline. For the next couple of years unless a player is positive he’s a D1 prospect he should probably be looking at lower levels.

Chances are the D1’s who have made contact like your son’s size. But at even the lowest level D1’s he has to cruise mid 80’s with great command and max 87/88 (given he’s a lefty).

It’s not hard to tell if a college program is genuinely interested or has a player on the “if we can’t get these other players” list. Phone calls are not recruiting. Enthusiastic phone calls after seeing him live makes him a suspect. Showing up additional times to watch means he’s on the radar. Receiving a verbal offer is a prospect.

A player should be looking for the best academic situation that potentially includes a positive baseball experience along with affordability, a social life and cultural fit.

Last edited by RJM

As a lefty he has extra value.  Most D1’s will still want pitchers throwing in the 90’s, but if he can get into the upper 80’s as a lefty he’ll have a shot somewhere

The question he has to ask himself is will he take any spot anywhere just to say he went D1, or does he want to go somewhere that’s the right fit culturally, academically, etc?

In general a 82-83 lefty that touched 85 once sounds like a kid who could be an ace in D3, a D2 bullpen guy, or maybe have a shot somewhere in D1.  Personally I’d rather be an ace, get playing time as a freshman etc

Does he have more in the tank velocity wise?

Last edited by 3and2Fastball

Is he in the 2023 class?  If so, he has some time as a lefty pitcher.  6’2 205 means you have plenty to work with.  Not to sound mean but what kind of 205 are we talking about?  What does his training history and current plan look like?  If he is a 2023 you are going to want to go into next summer in peak physical form and target whatever level his metrics dictate at that point.

RJM.. yes we realize that Covid has pushed  the level and caliber of players down a level or two.  And I figured his size  was the reason the coaches that have reached out did so. His velo made a significant jump just from the beginning of the summer season until the end of the summer season.  He’s definitely hoping to reach those numbers specifically.  Cruise middle to upper 80’s while occasionally touching 88 or 89.  

Fastball.. he would rather be the “Ace” as well regardless of the level he plays at. The problem is, here in Louisiana most every school/university is D1 (9 I think),  JUCO, NAIA with a couple of D3’s. but no he has no problem attending and playing for the couple of D2’s across the Arkansas border.  

22&25… yes he’s a 2023. He’s not a “jacked and ripped” 205 lol but the way he’s been attacking the chicken and steak in the fridge after his workouts this fall, he might end up being that way.  This will be the first fall he has taken off to actually hit the weight room seriously.

3&2 thank you, that’s basically what I was thinking.. We just didn’t know if he needed to be there “now”. If the summer before his senior season would be “too late”.

As far as projectablility (sp)  is that a “realistic” goal? Or should it be toned back to a 4-6 mph increase?  With a big focus on the weight room this fall and into the spring, and a good instructor?

3&2 thank you, that’s basically what I was thinking.. We just didn’t know if he needed to be there “now”. If the summer before his senior season would be “too late”.

As far as projectablility (sp)  is that a “realistic” goal? Or should it be toned back to a 4-6 mph increase?  With a big focus on the weight room this fall and into the spring, and a good instructor?

All the physical improvements, pitching mechanics improvements and velocity have to happen between now and the beginning of next season. All this has to occur while considering somewhere in the mix needs to be rest so he doesn’t wreck his arm following this season and he’s rested enough to perform at his new peak performance next season.

The one thing a lefty has going for him is there’s always room for more pitching. But there won’t be time to throw spaghetti off the wall to see what sticks next summer. He will need to be pointed in the right direction with the purpose of getting in front of the right targets. I hope the two of you have made a business plan with target schools. Don’t just hope to be discovered. It’s a huge mistake.

Does he/you have a plan?

Where does he want to go to school?

What major is he interested in?

From those interests how do those interest fit with his baseball profile?

Does he have a list of schools he has contacted?

How much financial aid does he/family need? (do not saddle him for life with loans)

Does he have an A, B, C list of schools? (stretch, target, safe) He is not going to a P5 so make a list and work the list.

A Lefty pitcher throwing mid 80's will play somewhere, I would prioritize the academic interests, and then match them up with his baseball profile, financial needs, and work the plan.

If you don't have a plan start one in the morning....

RJM.. he hasn’t ever had true pitching instruction. In regards to mechanics or technique.  He is like a sponge though and soaks up information that someone may inadvertently give.  And he has been successful both in the summer and the prior spring.  But looking back I can see where the mechanics or lack thereof probably contributed to some of the binds he put himself in.  

BOF… yes he does have a plan, he would prefer to go to a school that is within about four hours of a drive from home.   Thankfully where we are, that encompasses a whole lot of schools and universities (Double digit worth of D1’s and a handful of D2’s.)

His academic plans are pretty simple and can be accommodated by most any one of those schools.  So with that being said, he would prefer to go to a school where he can contribute as early as possible for as long as possible. And he realizes that a P5 school isn’t going to accommodate either of those goals.  He has no desire to ride the pine just for the sake of saying he attended or “played at” such and such university.
He does have a list of the schools that he has contacted and that his summer coach has contacted. And right now he’s waiting to see where his velocity numbers are going to level out.  I just didn’t know  when the boats might be leaving the dock…regarding which level I need to start guiding him to.

Learning how to pitch at a potentially high level isn’t just about soaking it in. It’s about repeating it over and over and over effectively for many innings until it becomes unconscious habit. Doing this between now and next season along with not overextending this season and getting rest before next season will be one heck of an uphill climb.

Fortunately with my son the adjustments were about stride and drive and not arm slot. Plus he grew an inch and added ten pounds and strength to his point guard built between soph and junior year when he took lessons in the offseason.

He didn’t pitch while playing fall ball. He took pitching lessons from October to December. He rested his arm in January.

As for what level you better figure it out this fall to make plans for next summer. What kind of summer team does he play on? What level of competition do they play against? Did college coaches come to see him pitch this last summer? If so, how did they respond? Is there ongoing contact with colleges coaches who saw him pitch?

The one benefit the kid has is he’s a left handed pitcher with good physical,size. It will draw attention.. They’re the most likely to be randomly discovered. But don’t count on it. Have a solid plan.

Last edited by RJM

Leftyson … Here’s the plan my son had. It’s not unique. I’m sure many here have used the same or similar plan.

It was determined what level of ball he should be aiming. We targeted not ranked, but rising D1 programs. We made a list of fifty colleges. The list dwindles fast. Some colleges won’t be interested. Some my son lost interest as he learned more about them.

He emailed all the colleges expressing interest in the baseball program and the college. In the email was a link to a website with a video of him displaying his fundamentals (not a highlight film from games). He inquired as to what events they attend where he could be seen. His travel coaching staff contacted all the schools he was interested. He hadn’t chosen an absurd beyond his reach baseball wise colleges.

My son contacted each coach again before the event. If a tournament he provided his teams schedule and his number. If an individual showcase he provided any pre showcase provided information he had that would make him identifiable.

He followed up after each event. This is where a kid has to be skilled enough to read responses. Some coaches beat around the bush rather than be blunt. Some lead a kid on as a just in case he doesn’t get the guy he really wants. What a player really wants is the college coach texting him or his coach ASAP after seeing him play.

All contact was kept in a contact management software program. My son tracked every contact (phone call, text, email, camp mailer) between the college, which coach and himself.

The important thing to remember is a player can hope all he wants. A lot of hoping goes on by every player. But a kid isn’t a prospect until there’s a verbal offer. Everything before that is a suspect.

Good luck. I found TUMS helpful. Especially after my son got injured.

Last edited by RJM

RJM… yes we realize that without an offer he’s not a prospect.  We are figuring they are keeping him on the hook until their roster is full or he hits the magic number they are looking for.    I suppose most everyone thinks it about their child. But he is more the “pitcher” vs just a “thrower”.  

His summer team is out of Texas and they traveled to Oklahoma, Alabama, Georgia, Florida  and Houston this past summer.  His contacts with the coaches came after he touched 85.

As far as the nervousness and anxiety on my end, I’m pretty good.  This is his journey. I’m just along for the ride.  I only wanna be a good co-pilot and guide him in the correct direction.  

My 2021 position player kid cast a very wide net. He sent out emails to dozens of schools at all levels that included a recruiting video, his measurable‘s and his GPA.

Then he followed up with the ones who responded, with questions and more information. One of the things that was helpful is that he asked the recruiting coordinators what the measurable’s were of their average recruit. That was eye-opening for him.

When he got to the summer before his senior year, the D3 schools came out of the woodwork immediately asking for phone calls, visits and to send them his schedule.  The other level schools merely asked if he want to do attend a camp.

That made things pretty clear to him as to the level that he’d end up at. And that fall he committed to a great D3.

Last edited by 3and2Fastball

3&2…. That sounds like a good plan.  We will definitely be taking and combining your approach along with RJM’s approach in an attempt to entice more interest in him.  
We have researched the LHP freshmen and softmores for all of the schools here to get a better idea of the measurables each one was bringing to the table their junior and senior years of Highschool.  It’s quite telling the differences each individual school goes after or is able to secure.   The info we got on them came from PG and PBR. They are both pretty popular around here.

We had held off on the emails to the various random coaches and RCs because I didn’t think they would be able to respond until after this upcoming September date.  My boy can currently still only be contacted through his coach.  Or at least that’s how it seems.

3&2…. That sounds like a good plan.  We will definitely be taking and combining your approach along with RJM’s approach in an attempt to entice more interest in him.  
We have researched the LHP freshmen and softmores for all of the schools here to get a better idea of the measurables each one was bringing to the table their junior and senior years of Highschool.  It’s quite telling the differences each individual school goes after or is able to secure.   The info we got on them came from PG and PBR. They are both pretty popular around here.

We had held off on the emails to the various random coaches and RCs because I didn’t think they would be able to respond until after this upcoming September date.  My boy can currently still only be contacted through his coach.  Or at least that’s how it seems.

Your son can initiate contact with coaches via email or phone calls. The coaches can reply to emails and texts*. Responding via email to tell you what events they attend is not considered recruiting. They can’t return phone calls. Your son has to catch them in. So, obviously after getting only the receptionist on the first call the question is, “What is the best time to reach the coach?” A lot of recruiting occurs before September of junior year. It’s how so many players verbal before junior year. But, you’re only a couple of days away from September.

* I don’t know all the rules on texts. It’s changed since my son went through recruiting.

RJM…. I gotcha and that makes sense.  I know with texting, my son can text him and say “I’m going to give you a call at five on Monday” and then call at five on Monday. But he won’t respond to the text.  I figured emails were the same.  
I do realize kids are verbally committing before this time, he has 3 commits on his summer team.  But they all happened via the phone calls… like what he has been having.  

But also.. if it turns out he is a D2’s, D3, NAIA or podunk low level JUCO player then so be it.  I will buy the team shirt, hats  and a be at the games I’m able to attend.  
He wants to play and compete at whatever level he turns out to be.  

Podunk low level JuCo ?  Really?? You might want to go watch LSU Eunice play and get back to me about how “low level” they are. Everything you have written so far suggests you should be considering the JuCo route. Only high level recruits get significant mound time at any 4 year school as a freshman or sophomore. Two years at a good JuCo (and there are plenty within striking distance of you) can do wonders to develop a kid.

Sir/ma’am I definitely meant no disrespect. Non whatsoever.  I have absolutely nothing against him going the JUCO route. And he has nothing against it either.

My wording of that was meant to portray a JUCO that was no where near the level or caliber of LSU-E or BPCC, Panola or any of the other ones.  It was meant to portray the bottom of the barrel. And if he plays for the “bottom of the barrel” I will be just as proud as if he was pitching on Friday for LSU.

The consideration is for him to make. I was just looking for advice and guidance from people with much more knowledge then I would ever have. I have gotten lots of advice and very helpful suggestions that I will be sharing with him.   Thank each and every one of you for the kind words of wisdom.  

I in no way meant to imply that I thought of JUCO in that way. It was a poor use of words in an attempt to show that I would be proud of him regardless of whether he is playing on the BEST team in the BEST conference... Or the absolute WORST team in the WORST possible conference.  It obviously didn’t come across that way in my earlier post and for that I do sincerely apologize.  

You guys read it wrong.  I understood you Leftyson2023.  He was referencing the worst college team in the USA.  He did not say JUCO's were bottom of the barrell.  He was saying THE worst JUCO in America, he would still proudly support his son and yell just as loud as if he was playing for the best team in America.  He has said what we all say we should say and you guys are still jumping on him because you read what you wanted to read.

Thank you Collegebaseballnsights

I didn’t realize so many players stayed in state.  But it makes sense when you consider the amount of money TOPPS gives to Louisiana residents to attend a instate school.  Thank you for the statistics  and pictures.  They clarify things a lot.  

No problem.

Sometimes we need see the fish population.

Now its time to strategically figure out where the family would like to fish

Thank you Collegebaseballnsights

I didn’t realize so many players stayed in state.  But it makes sense when you consider the amount of money TOPPS gives to Louisiana residents to attend a instate school.  Thank you for the statistics  and pictures.  They clarify things a lot.  

In 2021, there were ~780 student athletes from Louisiana playing college baseball

distribution-by-state[1)

of which ~293 were true freshman.

Note, we are still in the process of tagging Covid Freshman vs true freshman, but the numbers are with range to give you a general idea.

distribution-by-state

Attachments

Images (2)
  • distribution-by-state
  • distribution-by-state(1)

Well it looks like my son has the same mindset as the majority of the players coming out of Louisiana.  He wants to play within a 5 hour radius of home.   He says it’s for his mommas ease of mind…. But I think it’s more for his.  
Mississippi is a surprise for me. I know they don’t offer much if any incentives to incoming students from out of state. I wonder what the draw is from there.

Well it looks like my son has the same mindset as the majority of the players coming out of Louisiana.  He wants to play within a 5 hour radius of home.   He says it’s for his mommas ease of mind…. But I think it’s more for his.  
Mississippi is a surprise for me. I know they don’t offer much if any incentives to incoming students from out of state. I wonder what the draw is from there.

The Mississippi JuCos are probably the draw. Region 23 plays great baseball. There are often 6 teams from that region ranked in the top 25 in the nation. One of those 6 is always LSU Eunice but after that there aren’t many good JuCo options in Louisiana.

@adbono posted:

The Mississippi JuCos are probably the draw. Region 23 plays great baseball. There are often 6 teams from that region ranked in the top 25 in the nation. One of those 6 is always LSU Eunice but after that there aren’t many good JuCo options in Louisiana.

The challenge is based on some preliminary analysis, the highest rated JUCO (in either state) with respects how many players are listed on 4yr schools in 2021 is Hinds CC (ranked 122)

We expect these numbers to change and should have more clarity by end of month.

We will see who breaks into the top 100.

institutioncommonnameprimedivisonconfabbrTotalNCAA-D1NCAA-D2NCAA-D3NAIA
Hinds CCNJCAA-D2NJC-R23MACCC2116311
LSU-EuniceNJCAA-D2NJC-R23LCCAC-D22016112
Jones County  JCNJCAA-D2NJC-R23MACCC201532
Delgado CCNJCAA-D1NJC-R23LCCAC-D11913132
Mississippi Gulf Coast  CCNJCAA-D2NJC-R23MACCC19694
Pearl River CCNJCAA-D2NJC-R23MACCC181233
Bossier Parish CCNJCAA-D1NJC-R14D118666
Meridian CCNJCAA-D2NJC-R23MACCC16862
Copiah-Lincoln CCNJCAA-D2NJC-R23MACCC153624
Northwest MississippiNJCAA-D2NJC-R23MACCC141031
Mississippi Delta CCNJCAA-D2NJC-R23MACCC14554
Baton Rouge CCNJCAA-D1NJC-R23LCCAC-D1144226
Southwest Mississippi CCNJCAA-D2NJC-R23MACCC123216
Itawamba CCNJCAA-D2NJC-R23MACCC117211
Northeast MississippiNJCAA-D2NJC-R23MACCC10343
Coahoma CCNJCAA-D2NJC-R23MACCC10217
Holmes CCNJCAA-D2NJC-R23MACCC8422
East Mississippi CCNJCAA-D2NJC-R23MACCC8323
East Central  CC (MS)NJCAA-D2NJC-R23MACCC8251
Nunez CCNJCAA-D1NJC-R23LCCAC-D144
@adbono posted:

We've been able to verify ~60 JUCOs (note, this does not account for players that have done secondary transfers (that number per schools is not that high)

What is a secondary transfer?

Player A

2019 - JUCO (XX)

2020 -  Alabama  (will display in juco pipeline for 2020)

2021 - LSU (will not display in juco pipeline for 2021)

Currently, JUCO (XX) would not get credit for having a player in 2021, as for the players last transfer is from Alabama.

statecodeinstitutioncommonnameprimedivisonconfabbrTotalNCAA-D1NCAA-D2NCAA-D3NAIAOTHERS
ILWabash Valley CCNJCAA-D1NJC-R24443257
IAIowa Western CCNJCAA-D1NJC-R1143281113
OHSinclair CCNJCAA-D2NJC-R12402313211
MOJefferson (MO)NJCAA-D1NJC-R163924132
TNWalters State CCNJCAA-D1NJC-R073627315
TXMcLennan CCNJCAA-D1NJC-R0534277
SCFlorence-Darlington TechNJCAA-D1NJC-R103418142
ILMcHenry County CCNJCAA-D2NJC-R0434111553
AZMesa CC (AZ)NJCAA-D2NJC-R0134108115
AZSouth Mountain CCNJCAA-D1NJC-R01332643
ILRend LakeNJCAA-D1NJC-R2433131514
FLPalm Beach StateNJCAA-D2NJC-R08339168