Skip to main content

My son is an uncommitted 2022 C, 6'1" 180, also plays corner IF/OF.  He is talking to a couple D1s and D2s.  He has constantly sent out videos to schools he would like to attend.

A couple schools he is interested in but have not responded to repeated emails have invited him to a College Prospect Camp in October.  Anyone have experience with these showcases?  Past invitations have been received and he asked to speak with coaches prior to them, but he did not get responses.  Just looking for experience and/or guidance on this event and any other ideas.

He attends a prep school in NW PA, 4.00 GPA, 4.9 QPA, starting C on championship HS team and played for a regional travel team last 2 summers.  Stats from PG/PBR showcases this summer: 60 yd: 6.88; pop 1.88-1.95; C arm velo 79; exit velo 95.  His summer in-game pop range: 1.88 - 2.10.  His sophomore year he was recruited by power 5, but last summer they moved on a good C who was able to go to PG WBBC in 2020.  My son's team did not go due to COVID.  He started out hot in the spring, then struggled with his swing this summer but corrected in the last events.  In fact, he hit a walk-off HR to win a PBR game in late July.  By all accounts (HS and travel coaches) he is a competitive, top step guy who does his job well and is a great teammate.  (Pretty much verbatim from his coaches.)  Any thoughts on the College Prospect event or other ideas are welcome.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Perhaps.  His numbers have improved annually, but he's been a half-step behind peers until this year.  For instance, he hovered around 2.00 - 2.05 pop last year, this year consistently below 2.00.  Exit velo didn't exceed 90 until this spring.  Many other C's in his class who are committed had these numbers at least a year earlier.

The October camps might not be worth his time unless he has real dialog prior to those camps.  I see he is trying but they will have prospects there that they are likely going to make their last offers too (It's late for 2022 D1 and possibly D2 recruiting at this point).  If his travel program was a very good one he should speak with the head of the program, get his advice, and use him to help open doors.  That's all I got....

Hmmm.  From what little info we have here, I do wonder if we're missing part of the story here.  His measurables and grades look great.  IMO if he doesn't have any serious D1 interest as of today (and wants to play D1 in the future), I'd stop pursuing D1 100% and look to Juco.  While there are still D1 offers left out there for 22s, there are no "love" offers left for position players.  Only "likes."  I, personally, think D1 "like" offers right now - in the current environment - are recipes for disaster.  With all I can see here, I absolutely believe he could find a really nice Juco program, play some right away and work to finish his 4 years at a D1 or D2.

is the camp actually called "College Prospect Camp"?  Through Ryzer?  If so, I believe that is put together by the same people who do the "College Coaches Showcase Camp."  My son did one and we walked away extremely dissatisfied.  PM for details if you're interested.  I'd want to know what those invites he's received look like.  Are they blast emails sent out to everyone but dressed up in hopes of convincing you that they actually want YOU to come?  My son got hundreds of invites that were stock.  They were longer (multiple paragraphs) worded and punctuated perfectly, sounded amazing, etc.  But what they weren't, were legit invites.  All the real interest invites my son got to attend camps/showcases were extremely small.  One or two sentences long.  Clearly sent from a busy coach's phone.  YMMV but when it came to my son, the shorter and crappier the text of the invite, the more serious interest they had in my son.

@GSully1 posted:

adbono is correct - LH hitter.  He received a D2 offer last week; he is expecting another D2 offer soon, he's early in their cycle.  D1's may offer later this fall.

The other D1 schools he's reached out to haven't done much with their 22 recruiting per PG and PBR.

Thanks for the feedback and advice!

It’s highly unlikely that a D1 offer this fall would be anything other an insurance policy for that school unless there are extenuating circumstances. The C position is one of the first that is filled in every D1 program that is competitive. So a D1 school is not gonna have scholarship money this fall for a 2022 C. Most good D2 programs are in the same boat. They have also already found a C or two for their 2022 class. I’m not saying it’s impossible for something great to present itself this fall but it’s highly unlikely. I expect what you will get is a bunch of flowery walk on offers that sound much better than they actually are. My intuition tells me that the D1/D2 ship has sailed and, if that is your goal, it’s time to implement a new strategy to get you there. Have you looked at good JuCo programs?

To get back to the question in the OP, I remember that my son sometimes got what seemed like personal emails from coaches at specific schools, inviting him to multi-school showcases run by a particular organization, I think it was mostly "College Coaches Skills Camp".  He never went to any of these camps, and I don't think the emails or letters were anything more than coming out of a database.  But, since he didn't go, I guess we'll never know.

I wouldn't hold out for a D1 school. If they were interested, your son would be committed there already or at the very least have an offer from them. Even if they were interested, do they love your kid? If they loved him - why aren't they showing it?

You know what's worse than the D1 not offering? The D1 offering and finding out they don't like him after burning eligibility and wasting tuition money. If your son is not a top priority of theirs, they are hoping he turns into something he will likely never become - and if he doesn't, he's gone.

Mine had offers from P5 schools and good mid major programs. Guess what? They also didn't respond to all his texts. Went weeks without getting back to him and his coaches. Told him to call at a certain time and didn't answer. And when they finally did return calls and get him on campus, the offers were more indicative of a 16-30 players more than it was for one of "their guys". So he "settled" on a school that did the exact opposite of all that and proved they didn't want him there, but needed him.

Forget the D1s. Jump on the D2s if they're the right fit. And if they're not he should be more than comfortable betting on himself and heading to a juco which, quite frankly there are so many benefits to.

@GSully1 - my 2022 is a catcher so I sorta/kinda pay attention to other 22 C's in our area (PA/NJ/NY). And, I can tell you that there are many who don't have your son's size and numbers who are already committed to D1s and D2s already.

Don't get caught without a chair when the music stops. If he has an offer and it checks most of the important boxes, don't wait for something better because it might not be coming.

Best of luck.

@GSully1 posted:

The other D1 schools he's reached out to haven't done much with their 22 recruiting per PG and PBR.

I had a quick look on PG, it's true that there are some D1 schools who don't list many 2022 recruits (4 or fewer) right now.  E.g. Hofstra, Georgetown, Binghamton, Albany, Merrimack, Miami OH, etc.  Can those who know suggest whether this means they are still recruiting, or whether there are other reasons why schools like that might not have many recruits listed?

He doesn’t need to be standing when the music stops for sure.  He’s sent info to Georgetown and GW, no replies. Miami OH has 5 commits, 2 Cs in his class per PBR. He was talking to them, but went with different C in the fall. Was told he was late in getting on their radar. None of the other schools anotherparent lists have contacted him.

You have to understand that with the 3000+ transfer portal, Juco transfers, extra years of eligibility (1 for NCAA, 2 for Juco), etc, most programs could actually afford to take the entire 2022 recruiting class off.  Now, are programs doing that?  Not likely.  But just about every program could afford to without suffering and many are bringing in very few 2022s.  I would not look at any program who only shows like 3-4 2022 commits on PG or PBR and think "they've got lots more offers coming!"

I had a quick look on PG, it's true that there are some D1 schools who don't list many 2022 recruits (4 or fewer) right now.  E.g. Hofstra, Georgetown, Binghamton, Albany, Merrimack, Miami OH, etc.  Can those who know suggest whether this means they are still recruiting, or whether there are other reasons why schools like that might not have many recruits listed?

Some commits don't list themselves until they have the acceptance letter from the school. Others may not do PG events. I guess now in addition to PG, you can gain some more data points with the Transfer Portal.

You never know what’s going on with transfers. My son won his position mid season freshman year. He played well. When he returned in the fall he discovered a JuCo All American at his position.

At the first practice he was moved around to various positions. He went from starter to “who the hell knows.” When the season started he rotated between two positions before winning one of them. You hit, you play.

Coaches pay the bills by winning and keeping their jobs. With extended Covid eligibility and no sit transfers if I’m a coach I go with as many older players @as I can than eighteen, nineteen year old freshmen.

Last edited by RJM

I agree with those who say forget the D1s.  What jumps out at me in your original post was the comments that his HS and travel coaches make - "...he does his job well and is a great teammate"... sorry, but that's the baseball equivalent of "she's got a great personality".  With his grades at a solid prep school he could do well to find an HA D3.

Denzel Washington in Fences, some times you have to take a straight line crooked.

IMHO, look into JUCOs  there are many schools with successful pipelines.

In 2021, Iowa Western had 43 former players at 4 year schools of which 28 were listed on D1 rosters

Iowa Western CC_2021_juco-distribution

Wabash Valley had 32 alumni at D1 schools

Wabash Valley CC_2021_juco-distribution

Note, everybody understands covid has created supply on human capital at every level.

Due to the limited # of seats at all levels, you will need to make quicker decision before the music stops.

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Iowa Western CC_2021_juco-distribution
  • Wabash Valley CC_2021_juco-distribution

Our son is a 2022. He just started thinking JUCO a few weeks ago. Maybe a month now. He now has 3 offers. Two are Division 2 one is JUCO. One other JUCO is in the talking stage. He still has some more camps and showcases to go this month.   Good thing with JUCO is even if he loses the baseball money part of it he can still get the academic and it be affordable. So we are letting him take his time. For now. None of the schools are pressuring him either. They said they will let him know if it gets to a point where they have to know.

@Francis7 posted:

The one thing with Juco is that you want to check the roster. I've heard a lot of stories about some Jucos bringing in 60 kids in the fall and then 25 of them never see the field in the spring.

@francis7

I'm assuming that you are referring to looking the spring rosters as for many jucos don't provide fall rosters, and if they do provide fall rosters (then it should be treated like a tryout, where majority of schools will cast a wide net).

IHMO, the stakeholder should look at the fall roster like a travel ball tryout process, the issue is the stakeholder might have more upfront (cost) for a tryout with no guarantees.

Please note, I'm not factoring in expected playing time.

Although there is no clear path, coaches are creatures of habit that are looking for predictable outcomes.

Stakeholders (families) should:

1 - Assume you will not know what the coach is thinking.

2 - Look at previous year's spring roster(s) - for Juco (3 or 4 years). (There are patterns)

3 - Does team have a JV team?   Add (+20) to the player count

Note, there are a couple of items that will be impossible to determine

1 - Number of non-rostered redshirts

2 - How many transfers the coach brings in after the fall season.

Assume you will not know what the coach is thinking.

Note: Ranger college varsity roster list 88,  In 2021, they didn't post a JV roster, but one can deduce more than half are playing JV.

Note: Due to covid reclassification, JUCO Roster sizes increased significantly in some places.

player-turnover[1)

Attachments

Images (1)
  • player-turnover(1)

@CollegebaseballInsights is correct about the JV situation at Ranger College. Half the 88 players are on JV and while it’s possible for a player to elevate himself to Varsity it doesn’t happen with regularity. Any JuCo with a JV team is something to look at closely. You better know which squad you are being earmarked for. If a JuCo is fully funded, and you aren’t receiving any baseball money, and that program has a JV…….you best be careful.

Reviewing the team's website, only provides one dimension of the varsity roster size.  This is not always the most accurate for JUCO programs.

Also there is a fair number of teams that don't keep archives of their rosters.

One way to figure out how many players actually participate annually is to look at the team's EADA Report.

EADA must be submitted annually for financial aid compliance.

Teams must report how many players participate at the varsity level.

If you see significant differences, then the stakeholders should do some more research and ask some detailed questions.

Note:

2020 Roster vs EADA Compliance

Ranger_2020_roster-insights

2019 Roster

Ranger_2019_roster-insights

Note, currently their 2018 roster (website) only list 19 players, meaning they deleted players from the website. Thus if you were to only use their website to understand their roster history without looking at the EADA number, it would be hard to determine the number of players on the varsity.

https://www.rangersports.net/s...s/bsb/2017-18/roster

Ranger_2018_roster-insights

Attachments

Images (3)
  • Ranger_2020_roster-insights
  • Ranger_2019_roster-insights
  • Ranger_2018_roster-insights
@Francis7 posted:

The one thing with Juco is that you want to check the roster. I've heard a lot of stories about some Jucos bringing in 60 kids in the fall and then 25 of them never see the field in the spring.

It’s more like forty of the sixty never see much of the field. It only takes about twenty players to play the season.

@Smitty28 posted:

I agree with those who say forget the D1s.  What jumps out at me in your original post was the comments that his HS and travel coaches make - "...he does his job well and is a great teammate"... sorry, but that's the baseball equivalent of "she's got a great personality".  With his grades at a solid prep school he could do well to find an HA D3.

I'm struggling to understand why nobody but Smitty28 suggested D3 HAs given the young man is at a prep school with great academics listed and we're right in the middle of that recruiting time frame?

GSully1 - was D3 HAs ever a consideration?  Did your son's travel coach provide any guidance or willingness to reach out to college programs on your behalf?

Last edited by fenwaysouth

To all, thank you for the observations and suggestions.

Fenwaysouth: his travel coach has offered, but we get the impression his contacts have their C needs covered.  As noted, D3 has been recommended and with good justification.  He has some D3 schools interested, but for a variety of reasons, including non-baseball, those are not under consideration.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.