Skip to main content

My son is an uncommitted 2022 C, 6'1" 180, also plays corner IF/OF.  He is talking to a couple D1s and D2s.  He has constantly sent out videos to schools he would like to attend.

A couple schools he is interested in but have not responded to repeated emails have invited him to a College Prospect Camp in October.  Anyone have experience with these showcases?  Past invitations have been received and he asked to speak with coaches prior to them, but he did not get responses.  Just looking for experience and/or guidance on this event and any other ideas.

He attends a prep school in NW PA, 4.00 GPA, 4.9 QPA, starting C on championship HS team and played for a regional travel team last 2 summers.  Stats from PG/PBR showcases this summer: 60 yd: 6.88; pop 1.88-1.95; C arm velo 79; exit velo 95.  His summer in-game pop range: 1.88 - 2.10.  His sophomore year he was recruited by power 5, but last summer they moved on a good C who was able to go to PG WBBC in 2020.  My son's team did not go due to COVID.  He started out hot in the spring, then struggled with his swing this summer but corrected in the last events.  In fact, he hit a walk-off HR to win a PBR game in late July.  By all accounts (HS and travel coaches) he is a competitive, top step guy who does his job well and is a great teammate.  (Pretty much verbatim from his coaches.)  Any thoughts on the College Prospect event or other ideas are welcome.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Perhaps.  His numbers have improved annually, but he's been a half-step behind peers until this year.  For instance, he hovered around 2.00 - 2.05 pop last year, this year consistently below 2.00.  Exit velo didn't exceed 90 until this spring.  Many other C's in his class who are committed had these numbers at least a year earlier.

The October camps might not be worth his time unless he has real dialog prior to those camps.  I see he is trying but they will have prospects there that they are likely going to make their last offers too (It's late for 2022 D1 and possibly D2 recruiting at this point).  If his travel program was a very good one he should speak with the head of the program, get his advice, and use him to help open doors.  That's all I got....

Hmmm.  From what little info we have here, I do wonder if we're missing part of the story here.  His measurables and grades look great.  IMO if he doesn't have any serious D1 interest as of today (and wants to play D1 in the future), I'd stop pursuing D1 100% and look to Juco.  While there are still D1 offers left out there for 22s, there are no "love" offers left for position players.  Only "likes."  I, personally, think D1 "like" offers right now - in the current environment - are recipes for disaster.  With all I can see here, I absolutely believe he could find a really nice Juco program, play some right away and work to finish his 4 years at a D1 or D2.

is the camp actually called "College Prospect Camp"?  Through Ryzer?  If so, I believe that is put together by the same people who do the "College Coaches Showcase Camp."  My son did one and we walked away extremely dissatisfied.  PM for details if you're interested.  I'd want to know what those invites he's received look like.  Are they blast emails sent out to everyone but dressed up in hopes of convincing you that they actually want YOU to come?  My son got hundreds of invites that were stock.  They were longer (multiple paragraphs) worded and punctuated perfectly, sounded amazing, etc.  But what they weren't, were legit invites.  All the real interest invites my son got to attend camps/showcases were extremely small.  One or two sentences long.  Clearly sent from a busy coach's phone.  YMMV but when it came to my son, the shorter and crappier the text of the invite, the more serious interest they had in my son.

@GSully1 posted:

adbono is correct - LH hitter.  He received a D2 offer last week; he is expecting another D2 offer soon, he's early in their cycle.  D1's may offer later this fall.

The other D1 schools he's reached out to haven't done much with their 22 recruiting per PG and PBR.

Thanks for the feedback and advice!

It’s highly unlikely that a D1 offer this fall would be anything other an insurance policy for that school unless there are extenuating circumstances. The C position is one of the first that is filled in every D1 program that is competitive. So a D1 school is not gonna have scholarship money this fall for a 2022 C. Most good D2 programs are in the same boat. They have also already found a C or two for their 2022 class. I’m not saying it’s impossible for something great to present itself this fall but it’s highly unlikely. I expect what you will get is a bunch of flowery walk on offers that sound much better than they actually are. My intuition tells me that the D1/D2 ship has sailed and, if that is your goal, it’s time to implement a new strategy to get you there. Have you looked at good JuCo programs?

To get back to the question in the OP, I remember that my son sometimes got what seemed like personal emails from coaches at specific schools, inviting him to multi-school showcases run by a particular organization, I think it was mostly "College Coaches Skills Camp".  He never went to any of these camps, and I don't think the emails or letters were anything more than coming out of a database.  But, since he didn't go, I guess we'll never know.

I wouldn't hold out for a D1 school. If they were interested, your son would be committed there already or at the very least have an offer from them. Even if they were interested, do they love your kid? If they loved him - why aren't they showing it?

You know what's worse than the D1 not offering? The D1 offering and finding out they don't like him after burning eligibility and wasting tuition money. If your son is not a top priority of theirs, they are hoping he turns into something he will likely never become - and if he doesn't, he's gone.

Mine had offers from P5 schools and good mid major programs. Guess what? They also didn't respond to all his texts. Went weeks without getting back to him and his coaches. Told him to call at a certain time and didn't answer. And when they finally did return calls and get him on campus, the offers were more indicative of a 16-30 players more than it was for one of "their guys". So he "settled" on a school that did the exact opposite of all that and proved they didn't want him there, but needed him.

Forget the D1s. Jump on the D2s if they're the right fit. And if they're not he should be more than comfortable betting on himself and heading to a juco which, quite frankly there are so many benefits to.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.