Skip to main content

Hi guys,

My son who is a Sophomore just got a letter at the school inviting him to their national tryouts. I'm not sure as he didn't even play varsity last year (although everyone is scratching their head over that). He did put three out last year as a frosh and hit somewhere around 500 I think.

Is it normal for a JV player to get an invite or do they just send these to everyone?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
The top events are free. (Aflac, Area Code, USA Baseball, etc)

I apologize, but I can't let that go. Call it pride, but there is another top event that everyone in major college and professional baseball knows about!

The #1 Showcase event in amateur baseball since 2001 is the Perfect Game National Showcase. It's definitely a "top" event and many MLB high level scouts call it the top event of the year for talent! It is held before all the other showcase events each year in June (right after the draft) usually in a Major League stadium.

Last year's draft, like most every other draft year, proves this point very clearly. When 19 first round picks and several others who received 1st rd money, show up at an event a full year before they are eligible for the draft... That is a top event!!! In fact, that is THE top event for talent! Compare it to all other showcase events. The only thing that can beat those results are the PG WWBA tournaments.

Below is a list of the PG National players from 2009 that were drafted this past year. This year's results will be about the same.

Player - Team Drafting - (round selected)

Jesse Biddle Phillies  1
Chevez Clarke Angels  1
Dylan Covey Brewers  1
Kaleb Cowart Angels  1
Christopher (Cito) Culver Yankees  1
Michael Foltynewicz Astros  1
Manny Machado Orioles  1
Justin O'Conner Rays  1
Josh Sale Rays  1
Jake Skole Rangers  1
Jameson Taillon Pirates  1
Karsten Whitson Padres  1
Christian Yelich Marlins  1
Nick Castellanos Tigers  1
Luke Jackson Rangers  1
Matt Lipka Braves  1
Aaron Sanchez Blue Jays  1
Peter Tago Rockies  1
Drew Vettleson Rays  1
Stetson Allie Pirates  2
Yordy Cabrera Athletics  2
Ralston Cash Dodgers  2
Reginald Golden Cubs  2
Marcus Littlewood Mariners  2
Griffin Murphy Blue Jays  2
Kellen Sweeney Blue Jays  2
Sean Coyle Red Sox  3
Aaron Shipman Athletics  3
Wendell Soto Angels  3
Ryne Stanek Mariners  3
Tony Wolters Indians  3
Garin Cecchini Red Sox  4
Andrew Cole Nationals  4
Nick Kingham Pirates  4
Andrew Toles Marlins  4
Mason Williams Yankees  4
Scott Frazier Phillies  5
Wes Mugarian Reds  5
Connor Narron Orioles  5
Tyler Vail Athletics  5
John Barbato Padres  6
Christian Carmichael Mariners  6
Drew Cisco Reds  6
Gabriel Encinas Yankees  6
Kevin Gausman Dodgers  6
Jason Hursh Pirates  6
Jake Anderson Yankees  7
Austin Kubitza Pirates  7
Michael Lorenzen Rays  7
Albert (AJ) Vanegas Padres  7
Logan Ehlers Blue Jays  8
Dace Kime Pirates  8
Alex Lavisky Indians  8
Brenton Allen Phillies  9
Jake DePew Rays  9
Ben Gamel Yankees  10
Tyler Shreve Blue Jays  10
Hunter Jones Indians  11
Jon Keller Mariners  11
Tyler Kuresa Twins  11
Jake Rodriguez Angels  11
Matthew Kirkland Dodgers  12
Robert Ray Nationals  12
Austin Wilson Cardinals  12
Tyler Austin Yankees  13
Kevin Ziomek Diamondbacks  13
Mike Hollenbeck Red Sox  14
DeAndre Smelter Twins  14
Zak Adams Blue Jays  15
Will Swanner Rockies  15
Adam Duke Red Sox  16
Stefan Sabol Braves  17
Brandon Allen Giants  18
Zach Alvord Braves  18
Kris Bryant Blue Jays  18
Frankie Christian Mariners  19
Jacoby Jones Astros  19
Austin Southall Giants  19
Shane Henderson Dodgers  20
Roderick Shoulders Red Sox  20
Jonathan Musser Phillies  21
Jake Hernandez Tigers  22
Alec Asher Giants  23
Jared Lakind Pirates  23
Andres Perez-Lobo Rangers  23
Cory Hahn Padres  26
Eric Arce Blue Jays  27
Jay Gonzalez Red Sox  27
Jacoby Almaraz Padres  28
Brian Pointer Phillies  28
Trae Davis Rangers  29
Tim Kiene Nationals  30
Brian Ragira Rangers  30
Austin Chrismon Astros  32
W. Keenan Kish Yankees  34
John Lieske Rangers  35
Konner Wade Diamondbacks  35
Johnny Fasola Dodgers  36
Bobby Geren Athletics  36
Shane Rowland Red Sox  36
Will Allen Pirates  37
Trey Griffin Indians  37
Thomas Bourdon Red Sox  38
Matt Roberts Diamondbacks  38
Brad Salgado White Sox  38
Jacob May Reds  39
Joel McKeithan Rockies  39
Bobby Wahl Indians  39
Conrad Gregor White Sox  40
Andrew Smith Athletics  40
Taylor Zeutenhorst Phillies  41
Trey Nielsen Cubs  42
Preston Overbey Rays  42
Kaleb Barlow Rockies  43
Jimmy Hodgskin Phillies  43
Mott Hyde Blue Jays  44
Lonnie Kauppila Athletics  44
Ricky Knapp Tigers  44
Krey Bratsen Athletics  45
Tyler Ross Phillies  46
Tyler Skulina Athletics  46
Clayton Crum Cubs  47
Sean O'Connor Mets  47
Christopher Triplett Tigers  47
Daniel Child Padres  48
TJ Pecoraro Astros  48
Dusty Isaacs Pirates  50

Here is a link to the PG National Showcase.
Perfect Game National
Lots and lots of write ups about Under Armour on this site.

In our experience, their initial evaluations were accurate. It is a money maker. . .but then so is PG. . .or is that $600 fee just for administrative costs?

Almost all the showcases are out to make money. However Baseball factory is much more about the money than most, with fewer results. PG gives more bang for your buck and is far more respected, and I do mean far more! Also, Student Athlete Showcase is a far better recruiting service than UA for the same price. They do it for all sports and so are bigger and more effective, but you will have to have a legitimate PG evaluation, or some other reputable one before they will take your son.

UA does put on great week long events, but they are very pricey and few scouts, unless you attend in Florida. They treat the players like kings. So, if you have the money, think of them as baseball vacations. If you don't have the money. . .stay away.
PG there is no question the PG National is a premier event, however I still stand by my statement that the best* events are still no cost to the player. (as they should be)

There are many talented players who are drafted who do not go to the PG National. I am curious of those listed how many had to pay the $550 fee? Now that I think about it I belive the National is no cost also, actually I don't remember. It is something that you could clarify.

(*$ cost for exposure value)
quote:
(*$ cost for exposure value)

Number one by far. WWBA Championship - Jupiter Florida - October. Absolutely no fee paid to PG by individuals unless they play on a PG team. More scouts, highest level scouts, and college coaches than anywhere or any event on earth!

Number two by far. WWBA National Championship - Marietta Georgia - July. Same as above, other than the fields are spread out.

BTW, The National is not free. Of course there are drafted players that don't attend any of the best events. Just no events that have 19 first round picks a full year before the draft. There are many scouts that run the Area Code Games, East Coast Pro, The MLB Scouting bureau, etc. at the PG National. Bureau reports are written, Area Code invites, East Coast Pro Invites, national media attention, etc. are often the result. The best players at the national pretty much get the highest level exposure there is. In many ways! But no... It is not free! Neither was Tropicana Field last year. And there are many college coaches and top level MLB scouts that claim it is the best. So, $ cost for exposure value, it's as good as it gets. Ask anyone who has been there!
PG I really respect the WWB events and they are very very good, and my son has attended several of them, however in the world of escalating costs associated with college bound high school players there is no better value than the Area Code tryouts/games, being named to tryout for the USA baseball national team, as well as the Aflac game (which you know quite well!).

All of these events do not cost the player one cent and they get fantastic exposure, much more concentrated than the WWB events IMO. There may be hundreds of scouts at some of the WWB events but there are thousands of players there. At the Area Code tryouts for example you have a ratio of 100 scouts to maybe 100 players. It does not get better than this!

You also have to take into account the costs associated with traveling, team costs, etc etc to the WWB tournaments. These costs are in the thousands of dollars for most players. Don’t get me wrong they are a necessary part of the recruiting process, but I still stand by my assertion that the few remaining free events are unique in that they ONLY value talent, nothing else. The other events, including WWB and PG events can not make this statement.

What really bugs me is that Under Armour (shame on them! - and they are not the only one BTW) are trying to make it seem like being named to one of their teams is an honor. Frankly it only has to do whether the player (family) spends the money or not. Sure they must have some talent, but I stand by my original assertion.
Last edited by BOF
BOF,

That same ratio takes place at the PG National. Travel cost is there for everything you mentioned except Aflac and USA Baseball (TOS).

The only way anyone could have a realistic opinion regarding these events is if they have attended them all. We actually do attend them all.

FYI, we are among the very biggest boosters of both the Area Code Games, East Coast Pro and USA Baseball. These are great events! Believe me the PG National is based on talent before all else. Surely the results prove that.

The Preseason Rawlings PG All American Teams are based on talent only. Obviously there is no cost involved for the players selected.
I have attended the PG National Showcase a few times and the Area Codes every year. I just want clarify I am not talking about the WWBA or BCS events. I would have to say the talent pool at the PG National appeared to be much stronger. I would say the National Showcase is based purely on talent. The amount of colleges and scouts would be equal at the events. There is a cost to the National Showcase and every single player from our program that has attended said it was worth every penny. The cost to Area Code players is covering their own travel and hotels costs.
Last edited by sgvbaseball
Over the years, players from my clubs have competed in Area Code Games, Aflac Game, PG National, Jupiter, WWBA tournamnets, USA Baseball team trials and national teams, Jr. Olympics, AZ Fall Classics and other large tournaments and showcases.

I can only think of one player from our entire organization, from many years, who ever participated in the UA National Showcase. And he was a kid for whom it made no sense as he had his Pac-10 commitment done for more than a year before he did this. It was purely to feed his dad's ego, and it blew up in their faces.

I firmly believe that anything associated with Baseball Factory is 95% about the parents ability to PAY, and 5% about the players ability to PLAY. I say that from years of experience competing against their teams on the field and watching their tryouts here in Northern CA. Years ago, my son and some of our other players were invited to their Northern CA 'tryout'. Since we were told us that they'd waive the tryout fee for any players from my club who attended, a few of them, including my son, did so. The day after the tryout, the guy who ran it called to tell me how well he thought my guys did, including that 3 of them were clearly the best players at the tryout. BUT, none of them would be invited to go on further because he knew we wouldn't pay their fee or join their organization so they weren't really the kind of players BF was seeking. I thought that said alot, as I've never seen that happen with any of the events I mentioned at the beginning of my post. Those other events want the best players, period; no matter which teams they lay for when not at their showcases our tournaments. I will also say that, when truly merited by need, PG will find a way to get a player to their event if his family cannot afford it. They work to find sponsors, and will not exclude a kid if his parents truly cannot afford their costs. I've personally been involved with several of these situations with PG over the years, so I know where their true interest lies. they have to 'pay the bills' too, but they care, first and foremost, about the players, IMO.

The events I mentioned at the beginning are ALL first rate opportunities for any young man who is fortunate enough to get an invitation to participate in them, including the east cobb tournaments for which any team they play on will charge a fee to at least cover the team's costs. Jupiter and PG National are incredible for any player who is invited, so are Area Code and Aflac. While playing on one of USA Baseball's National Teams outside the country does not happen in front of recruiters or scouts, everyone knows who those players are, and they're highly desirable prospects if they do well.

In parting, I'm going to share part of a conversation that one of my former players, Lars Anderson, and I had after he came back from playing on the 18u National Team, in Mexico. I asked Lars what he thought about playing for Team USA, and I'll never forget his reply, he said "Dan, we were playing the Cuban Team and I was standing there at first base with 25,000 people in the stands chanting 'Viva Cuba'. You can't imagine how great it felt at that moment to have USA on the front of my jersey. I had goosebumps, it was the proudest moment of my baseball career. I love playing for my country". Now, Lars has had a few more 'proud' moments since that time, but I'll bet he will never forget that moment. I can't imagine anything associated with BF being even very remotely like that.
Last edited by 06catcherdad

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.