Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Can't help you.  Middle son at mid major and everything was paid for.  Youngest son at SEC school and it like Christmas when they get their stuff.  Complete custom gloves and about $3,000 worth of clothing per player.  Glove is over $500 with the full customization.

BTW, I'm not a fan of the glove but he will mainly use his from last year so he has 3 others.  The returning pitchers ordered special gloves to represent their causes.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1615851685053857792

https://twitter.com/Vol_Baseba...tobPyNIf6g-lXkCZrkAA

https://twitter.com/Vol_https://twitter.com/Vol_Baseball/status/1615851685053857792?s=20&t=uAtobPyNIf6g-lXkCZrkAABaseba...tobPyNIf6g-lXkCZrkAA

Last edited by PitchingFan

I'm remembering the HS uniforms, they had a finite set of pants, some boys wore pants that were much too big, others much too small - we always got a chuckle seeing who was wearing what each week.

D3, they provide uniforms.  In fall scrimmages they are not wearing uniforms, so I guess he has to provide his own practice pants (plus a school color t-shirt).

@2022NYC posted:

....  His team got Lulu Lemon gear, I was thinking is this a baseball team or a pilates class?

Lululemon is a Canadian company and the Toronto Blue Jays organization has contracted with them for years for gear.  Son even gets a discount at the stores.  Both of my sons love the pants for golf.

Glad to see company branching out similar to UnderArmour.

@Francis7 posted:

How frequent is it in college baseball that players have to pay for their own jersey and provide their own uniform pants?

Not too frequently. Could be that program has no sponsors, which means no free stuff.

The bigger programs tailor fit unis.

Lululemon is big in our family. Their clothes and accessories are awesome. I have a Lululemon bag, love it.

@2022NYC posted:

My kid doesn't pay for the uniforms or travel but just about everything else is out of pocket...mine to be specific.  His team got Lulu Lemon gear, I was thinking is this a baseball team or a pilates class?

Really! My son would have loved that... He gets a 25% discount at Lulu, and I still think the stuff cost too much! Actually any minor leaguer can get the discount, but the athlete must be present at the store to use the discount. I've received some nice hand me ups...

Each level of college baseball has it's perks. Other parts are not so glamorous.

At a P5 you are pampered in terms of travel, apparel, and facilities. But you are also essentially working a physically demanding full time job in addition to being a full time student.

At the lower levels you might find more of a school, baseball, life balance. But you may be playing on a field a step below your HS and have to pay for your spring trip/uniforms.

My son is at a D3.  He didn't have to pay for the team uniform, but he also doesn't get to keep it.  Since this is only his second season, I don't know how many years they keep the uniforms.

Some of his practice gear he received free of charge.  His first year, he had to buy some items.  I don't remember what the cost of the mandatory items were, but we spent close to $1000.  However, that included the swag for me, my husband and our two other children, plus he bought extra items.  This year, our cost was less than $100.

We have a team parent and they ask for money for lunches for the guys on game day.  It was $250 this year.   We pay a fee for his spring break trip.  During the regular season, everyone traveled with the team.  They did not have a "travel" team.  The team advanced to the D3 College World Series this past spring.  We did not have to pay anything additional for the travel and they took everyone who wanted to go, even the guys who were not on the travel roster.

In JUCO, uniforms were furnished, but you were on your own for gloves and bats (unless you used the team bats). The fall practice jerseys (t-shirt) were yours to keep, but game jerseys and pants were team property and plenty used. The pants were pretty bad, with lots of tears and a few busted zippers. Also, the boys took turns doing team laundry; you know that had to be a favorite activity. It was part of the JUCO grind that bound those teammates together for life.

At Arkansas, everything was furnished and more. From this parent's viewpoint, the healthy athlete-only cafeteria was the most significant boon; the kid was killing me with external food expenses at JUCO. He got to keep a ton of gear and bling, but not game jerseys. I was a little miffed when I saw one of his game jerseys on eBay a week after the season ended. That was one of the few things I would have liked to have kept...

@JucoDad posted:

In JUCO, uniforms were furnished, but you were on your own for gloves and bats (unless you used the team bats). The fall practice jerseys (t-shirt) were yours to keep, but game jerseys and pants were team property and plenty used. The pants were pretty bad, with lots of tears and a few busted zippers. Also, the boys took turns doing team laundry; you know that had to be a favorite activity. It was part of the JUCO grind that bound those teammates together for life.

At Arkansas, everything was furnished and more. From this parent's viewpoint, the healthy athlete-only cafeteria was the most significant boon; the kid was killing me with external food expenses at JUCO. He got to keep a ton of gear and bling, but not game jerseys. I was a little miffed when I saw one of his game jerseys on eBay a week after the season ended. That was one of the few things I would have liked to have kept...

One of the perks of having a son in the big leagues is that it should buy you a lot of goodwill from the baseball program at Arkansas. If I were you I would contact whichever coach at Arkansas that you have the best relationship with and ask if there is any way you can get one of your son’s game jerseys. If they won’t/can’t give you one I bet they can arrange for you to buy one from the vendor that provides them. That’s what worked for me.

I picked son up for dinner a few weeks after he started his freshman year at Iowa and noticed the very nice new Nikes he was wearing and started yelling at him about spending his money on expensive shoes. "Mom, they gave them to me," he protested. Worst part of leaving school is that he now has to buy his own clothing, i think every stitch he wore for four years was provided by the school. Even WORSE, at least during off season he has to wash his own practice clothes now.

@cabbagedad posted:

I've seen and been around plenty of lower level college programs where student athletes participate to varying degrees in fundraising but I have never heard it presented directly as paying for uni's.  That would be very unusual.

I've heard of a Juco where you have to buy the jersey and supply your own uniform pants. Community College D3 with 10K students.

One of my kids at a no-name d3 got the usual 2-3 sets of uniforms (that the school retains) but had to buy his own socks and long underwear.  

One cool thing, though. A couple of wealthy baseball alums paid for a fleet of 35 electric scooters, all decked out in school colors, that the kids borrow to get to and from the field since it's a ways off campus.

Last edited by smokeminside

I'd say paying for Uni's is strange.

At son's D3, they do have a limited sponsor with major sport brand, honestly I think it's more like, discounted, not free.   So it depends on that years fundraising effort and where they want to put the money, gear or equipment (field,practice).  This year all new gear head to toe.  (not bats/gloves or anything like that).  I do think they leave the uniform tops and don't keep them, for the years they don't get new uni's.  Haven't received some of the stuff yet (other than practice gear) so curious if I have to buy him pants, they never fit unless I buy them special.  Thankfully it's all his preferred baseball brand fit wise and shoe wise, so we'll see if they sized him or if they just went standard sizes.  Honestly, I could do without the brand new uni's and spikes and ask that they supply the thermal gear, bags and outerwear type stuff.  That stuff cost me a fortune.  Plus I want some sweatshirts for me. ;-)

Over break he seemed to have a different team gear t-shirt or short on every other day, but they did have a store room with a lot of left over stuff the coach said to have at.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.