Skip to main content

Wondering if anyone knows about a college camp or showcase (besides HF/Stanford) that mimics the list that Richmond's camp is offering? This would be a perfect event for my '22 to attend, but he's committed to going to a different event at that time, which won't include the schools below, especially the D3 schools.  Thanks!

Richmond's List

August 3rd-5th-

1. UNIVERSITY OF RICHMOND (D1, #23 in National Liberal Arts Colleges)
  2. Harvard University (D1, #1 in Global Universities)
  3. Princeton University (D1, #1 in National Universities)
  4. Yale University (D1, #4 in National Universities)
  5. Lafayette College (D1, #40 in National Liberal Arts Colleges)
  6. Lehigh University (D1, #49 in National Universities)
  7. University of Dayton (D1, #133 in National Universities)
  8. Virginia Commonwealth University (D1, #160 in National Universities)
  9. Towson University (D1, #196 in National Universities)
  10. High Point University (D1, #1 in Regional Colleges South)
  11. University of Charleston (WV) (D2, #289 in National Universities)
  12. Swarthmore College (D3, #3 in National Liberal Arts Colleges)
  13. Hamilton College (D3, #9 in National Liberal Arts Colleges)
  14. Bates College- Day 1 ONLY (D3, #22 in National Liberal Arts Colleges)
  15. Babson College (D3, #1 in Entrepreneurship Colleges)
  16. Franklin & Marshall College (D3, #43 in National Liberal Arts Colleges)
  17. Hendrix College (D3, #93 in National Liberal Arts Colleges)
  18. Randolph Macon College (D3, #102 in National Liberal Arts Colleges)
  19. Virginia Wesleyan University (D3, #171 in National Liberal Arts Colleges)
  20. University of Mary Washington (#18 in Regional Universities South)
  21. DeSales University (D3, #75 in Regional Universities North)
  22. Milligan University (NAIA, #18 in Regional Universities South)

"Don't be mean now because remember: Wherever you go, there you are..." Buckaroo Banzai

Last edited by smokeminside
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Smoke, it is such an unusual time.  UVA would have had a camp by now.  W&M is going through a pitching coach change, but they usually have a prospect camp.    I would keep looking at both of these to see if something pops up for the summer.  I am thrilled that UR is on the ball and has something scheduled!

There was something called East Coast Baseball Camp that in 2018 had a bunch of schools:

http://www.eastcoastbaseball.camp/

Maybe keep an eye out for an update to this one, too:

https://www.collegebaseballprospects.com/

Last edited by keewart

It must be a "showcase" vs a school run camp as I thought the restrictions on D1 camps was only 1 D1 school allowed, unlimited D2, 3s, Juco....

I would hope your 22 would be playing this summer and be seen by more schools at the big events (PG, PBR) by then. Is he talking with anyone now? Leveraging @Flatground or @Flatgroundbats on Twitter?

PBR PA, NY in that area are very well run and represented. Dan Cevette is awesome and all about the players.

What about PG Academic Showcase? I think you need a 3.5 or higher to attend. Similar list in the right parts of the country.  They do the same things as the other showcases. $700 is still $700....

I'd also be worried about the quiet period and no coaches allowed off campus and if they extend it as discussed. NCAA is really screwing the 21s and 22s HARD!

Speaking of Richmond...has anyone here had any contact with the coaching staff other than these emails?

Where and how do they recruit? I feel like I heard somewhere that they recruit "bigger" kids. Feels like a potential fit for my kid (he is bigger at 6"4", ACT in the top 99% of all scores). We stopped by the campus after dropping daughter off at college in New England and checked it out along with the baseball facilities in late August. Son liked it a lot. Snapped a picture, sent a "I am interested in Richmond and stopped by campus yesterday" email along with a youtube clip, and heard absolutely nothing. Son's club coach emailed/called and he heard nothing as well. Coach isn't a nobody either...7 years in MLB and a World Series hero to boot...still crickets.

Naturally, I must wonder if it is my kid? Could very well be. So until we know he will keep eating, lifting, training, sending occasional emails and who knows...might attend their camp next summer...if there is one.

@used2lurk posted:

Speaking of Richmond...has anyone here had any contact with the coaching staff other than these emails?

Where and how do they recruit? I feel like I heard somewhere that they recruit "bigger" kids. Feels like a potential fit for my kid (he is bigger at 6"4", ACT in the top 99% of all scores). We stopped by the campus after dropping daughter off at college in New England and checked it out along with the baseball facilities in late August. Son liked it a lot. Snapped a picture, sent a "I am interested in Richmond and stopped by campus yesterday" email along with a youtube clip, and heard absolutely nothing. Son's club coach emailed/called and he heard nothing as well. Coach isn't a nobody either...7 years in MLB and a World Series hero to boot...still crickets.

Naturally, I must wonder if it is my kid? Could very well be. So until we know he will keep eating, lifting, training, sending occasional emails and who knows...might attend their camp next summer...if there is one.

Richmond is the most prolific emailer for camp recruiting out there in my opinion.  We went to a camp 3 years ago, it was the February indoor camp, 2 days.  A big snowstorm hit that weekend and 75% of the kids that were supposed to be there Friday night couldn't get there on time.  My son had lots of 1x1 time with the head coach and assistant coaches.  The head coach was very approachable and a very good guy. He kept giving my son advice and my son left day 1 very encouraged.  By the second day, 75% of the kids had made it and the place was packed.   Literally impossible to stand out unless you threw gas or had elite bat speed.   Son left day 2 knowing he had a lot of work to do as a player.  I also think a lot of people target Richmond as a great landing spot for their kids.  It's a great school and a very good baseball program.  The coaches are likely overloaded with emails and interest.   

I will say that my son's best way onto the radar of various coaches was direct contact from his travel coach.  The coach has a great reputation and college coaches know he doesn't oversell his players.   If your son's travel coach knows really knows Richmond coaches have him reach out again.  Going into these camps cold is not advantageous. 

I am not trying to discourage you just giving my impression and experience.  A kid on my son's D3 team is going to do his 5th year at Richmond.  He's an RHP and 6 feet tall so perhaps they don't only look for size.  I don't know his velocity but he's an excellent pitcher.  I would guess tho that they love size, who doesn't.

@Gunner Mack Jr. @Wechson Yes! Jordy is a great guy, both of us being from VT, ballplayers are kinda limited. When I wasn't away for travel this summer I played for a local team he coached, and when we were both back from school (prep and for him Babson) we worked out together almost every day. Great guy! Has given me lots of insight into recruiting and what I have to look forward to in college

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.